PDA

View Full Version : The Savant- advice appreciated

arnoldrew
2007-07-15, 12:18 AM
Okay, I've started designing a new base class called the Savant, but I suck at balance. The fluff is almost the same as the Sorceror, but the mechanics are different. This class has 3/4 BAB, Simple weapons proficiency, Light armor proficiency, and a good Will save. At first level it would choose two cantrips as SLAs, one usable once per day, the other usable a number of times per day equal to the character CH modifier., and two 1st level spells as SLAs usable once per day.
At second level the character gains one more cantrip and one more 1st level spell as SLAs.
At third level the character chooses one of its 1st level SLAs to make usable a number of times per day equal to its CH modifier.
Is this broken yet? Also, I was thinking of basing save DCs off of WI, since I kind of want this to be more balanced with the other classes, and not quite Wizard or even Sorceror level. I'm worried there's something about SLAs I haven't taken into account that would make this class extremely bad or good.

P.S. How I currently have the SLA progression the Savant only reaches 4th level spells. Useless?

DracoDei
2007-07-15, 12:42 AM
Sorcerer/Wizard spell selection I assume?
The BAB thing strikes me as suspect... but they get even less variety in spells than a Sorcerer and less spells per day so I guess it balances out.

If they end up with a lot of spells "At will" I could see it working in a large enough party with only up to 4th level spells... still would want to have a sorcerer or wizard in the party for the higher level stuff, but as a "I continua-buff everyone with Bulls Endurance" it might have a role... They might tend to become non-offensive or at least non-saving throw based in the long run without higher level spell slots to boost the CRs... also watch out for expensive material components if you are making it SLAs... there may also be other benefits to SLAs I am forgetting but...

CthulhuM
2007-07-15, 03:23 AM
It sortof sounds like this class is going to end up as a warlock, but with more invocations to choose from... except that it won't have eldritch blast and it's invocations are going to be even less powerful than a warlock's. Plus, on the whole the class will probably be less flavorful as well.

What exactly is your end-goal in creating this class? It's a bit hard to give advice without knowing where you're going with this.