PDA

View Full Version : Homeless Paris woman carried nearly 70,000 euros

Duke Malagigi
2007-07-15, 11:33 AM
Paris authorities found nearly 70,000 euros on 66 year old homless Paris women known only as Denise. See here (http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20070714/od_afp/francehomelessoffbeat_070714171605;_ylt=ArR5L2brAt .gTO8azarCy29kM3wV) for more details.

Trog
2007-07-15, 02:11 PM
Awww that poor confused woman. I'm glad she is not homeless anymore. The money should go to purchasing a couple of cats for her to look after I think. :smallsmile:

Or... er... someone to look after her. :smallfrown:

LCR
2007-07-15, 02:24 PM
Yeah, make a crazy catwoman out of her ...

Amotis
2007-07-15, 02:28 PM
http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en/thumb/2/22/180px-Crazy_Cat_Lady.jpg

Syka
2007-07-15, 02:37 PM
Ok...not everyone is homeless because they have to be. One homeless man in my area who was actually beat to death by some idiot kids chose to live in the woods. He just liked it better.

Maybe she has just been saving up money, etc. I didn't like how at the end it said "Authorities are looking at how to best take care of her money"...er...give it back perhaps?

Cheers,
Syka

RAGE KING!
2007-07-15, 03:19 PM
i think they mean how to best prevent anybody from taking her money 'cuz now everyone knows she has it and the authorities are too nice to force her to get a house.

PlatinumJester
2007-07-16, 03:20 PM
The "homeless" losers where I live aren't actually homeless. When my mum was buying groceries some loser asked her for change. Later when she came out of the Supermarket the same guy was on a mobile phon and was saying "hey, could you tell mum to put my dinner in the oven. I'll be back home sightly late tonight 'cos I want to rent a video out". ****ing loser.

0wca
2007-07-17, 05:53 PM
Ok...not everyone is homeless because they have to be. One homeless man in my area who was actually beat to death by some idiot kids chose to live in the woods. He just liked it better.

Maybe she has just been saving up money, etc. I didn't like how at the end it said "Authorities are looking at how to best take care of her money"...er...give it back perhaps?

Cheers,
Syka

Agreed. It's none of their business where she got it from. They haven't proved that she robbed a bank or something.. God, I hate it when the people get discriminated just because they're lower on the social ladder (or appear to be). God knows if she's ever getting it back..

Krade
2007-07-19, 01:21 AM
This reminds me of a story my friend's mother told us a while back about when she was a bartender 30? years ago. This one regular who everyone knew lived in a car around the corner would come in a lot, get a drink, and leave a nice tip. When he died, they went through his car and found a LOT of money. Can't remember how much exactly, but the number 2 million sticks out in my mind.

Arang
2007-07-19, 06:51 AM
I think there was a guy in Britain a few years back who died and left hundreds of thousands of pounds in change buried under his shack. Might just have been one of those urban myths, though.

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-07-19, 07:44 AM
The "homeless" losers where I live aren't actually homeless. When my mum was buying groceries some loser asked her for change. Later when she came out of the Supermarket the same guy was on a mobile phon and was saying "hey, could you tell mum to put my dinner in the oven. I'll be back home sightly late tonight 'cos I want to rent a video out". ****ing loser.
Gaaah, yeah, I know a few of them to.

I believe the official term is 'urban outdoorsman'. They beg for a living and make a pretty derned good living off it. Seriously, in America at least, unless you have a severe mental or physical candicap there is almost never a reason to be homeless short of you want to be homeless or are too lazy to do anything about it.

I mean, I know of a few cases that were otherwise, just lots and lots of bad luck at the wrong place at the wrong time, but they are rare.

Captain van der Decken
2007-07-19, 08:15 AM
Agreed. It's none of their business where she got it from. They haven't proved that she robbed a bank or something.. God, I hate it when the people get discriminated just because they're lower on the social ladder (or appear to be). God knows if she's ever getting it back..

I'd think that homeless people being a pretty easy target for muggers is a good reason to do something about it.

I doubt they just decided she doesn't deserve it because she's homeless.

Akaziel
2007-07-20, 12:49 PM
Here in the Phils., I've heard stories of poor children begging for money.... only it turns out that the children aren't exactly poor. They just beg for money. I'm not sure about this, though. It's been a while since I've heard it.

0wca
2007-07-23, 08:28 PM
I'd think that homeless people being a pretty easy target for muggers is a good reason to do something about it.

I doubt they just decided she doesn't deserve it because she's homeless.

I doubt they're just safekeeping it for her..

I don't want to sound stereotypical or anything but when a cop sees an old woman bum who makes more money than he does in 10 years (at least by our sallaries here), he's bound to get tempted..

I'm not saying they're crooked, but we all know that greed makes the world go 'round these days...

soozenw
2007-07-23, 08:42 PM
In my town, we have these women in their 40s who stand on the roads leading to Wal-Mart holding up signs about how they are widows and need money to pay their bills. What is extremely ironic is that they stand in front of Taco Bell, which perpetually has a "now hiring" sign on their marquee.

One of these days I will stop and tell them to get a REAL job. Panhandling isn't a job.

bosssmiley
2007-07-24, 11:53 AM
I believe the official term is 'urban outdoorsman'. They beg for a living and make a pretty derned good living off it.

Aka: "Sturdy Beggars" (Elizabethan) or "Vagrants" (Victorian) or just "Takers": people who could work for a living (by work I mean produce *something* to justify the money they get - even if it's just music), but who would rather get something for nothing. I despise people like that - the type who take charity that would be better spent on others more deserving. Literally stealing from a beggar's cup: you almost can't get lower! :smallmad:

I don't want to sound stereotypical or anything but when a cop sees an old woman bum who makes more money than he does in 10 years (at least by our sallaries here), he's bound to get tempted...

...and the fact he doesn't succumb to the temptation we would all feel in that situation is what makes him worthy to be a cop. :smallcool:

For every wickedness we commit, there is a kindness. Humans are odd like that. :smallwink: