PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Steampunk Kobolds

Laserlight
2016-12-03, 08:34 PM
My players want more of a steampunk feel-- Legend of Korra, that sort of thing. So I'm opening a portal to a gnome city that got wiped out by a cold/ice -based disaster, and the place is now ovverun with undead (who generally don't use tech) and kobolds (who do).

I figure the easiest way to make steampunk tech is as magic items. For example, Dr Bottlethroop's Patent Tesla Projector could be effectively a staff of Lightning Bolt with a certain number of uses, a way to recharge it (plug it into a generator).

I want this stuff to be useful (for the kobolds to use on the players) but not too useful (for the players to use). I figure for any given piece of tech, a) it takes an action, b) it takes a skill roll every time (because even if you figure out to pull the trigger, you might not realize that you've re-set the safety, or that you need to make sure the two spurving bearings are in a direct line with the pentametric fan), c) you might use it up, render it inoperable, or have it explode in your face (since it was gnomish tech). But even then, I don't want it to anything Save-or-Die.

So what are some goofy inventions that slightly addled gnomes might come up with?

Shrink Ray ("Reduce")
Shocking-Grasp-On-A-Stick
Webcaster (used by a winged kobold who leaps from building to building, and wears a blue-and-red costume)
Mechanical Dragon: something like a Chinese dragon costume except this one conceals a tank of Greek Fire on a cart, with a couple of kobolds pushing the cart, a couple more pumping it to give it pressure, and one aiming the nozzle.
Kobold Karma Kannon: Bestow Curse, no concentration, 10 minute duration

What else?

Tanarii
2016-12-03, 10:07 PM
Add a backfire chance.

Webcaster - dex DC 15 check to use, casts web, duration 3 rounds. On a natural 4 or lower, backfires and user is immobilized. 2 charges when full charged.

Laserlight
2016-12-04, 01:03 AM
Add a backfire chance.

Webcaster - dex DC 15 check to use, casts web, duration 3 rounds. On a natural 4 or lower, backfires and user is immobilized. 2 charges when full charged.

That's kind of where I was going with the "gnomish tech, may explode in your face" part

Zanthy1
2016-12-05, 09:10 AM
A handheld device that shoots out rope, maybe with a hook attached? Essentially it casts the animate rope (I think thats what its called) spell on the rope and the device is the control panel.

Another idea (Similar to Korra) would be to have a series of wires running all over the city that the kobolds either hang from or skate across with their electrically charged boots/harnesses

Laserlight
2016-12-05, 09:29 AM
A handheld device that shoots out rope, maybe with a hook attached? Essentially it casts the animate rope (I think thats what its called) spell on the rope and the device is the control panel.

Another idea (Similar to Korra) would be to have a series of wires running all over the city that the kobolds either hang from or skate across with their electrically charged boots/harnesses

Ah yes. Kobolds on ziplines. Keeps them above the zombies and ghouls which are prowling the streets.Good.

Pichu
2016-12-05, 10:08 AM
Give the kobolds guns, but make them Nerf darts or like Joker's gun. Make the kobolds know what a gun is, corner the PC's and 'execute' them by firing squad. All that happens is a bunch of flags and foam bullets.