PDA

View Full Version : [Creature] OWWW... I feel good!

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-07-15, 06:31 PM
Morphine Fairie

Dimunitive Fey
Hit Dice: 2d6+2 HD (9 hp)
Initiative: +6
Speed: 10 ft. (2 squares), fly 30 ft. (good)
Armor Class: 20 (+6 dex, +4 size), touch 20, flat-footed 14
Base Attack/Grapple: +1/-10
Attack: Bite +11 melee (1d2-3 plus morphine)
Full Attack: Bite +11 melee (1d2-3 plus morphine)
Space/Reach: 0 ft./0 ft.
Special Attacks: Morphine, sneak attack +1d6, spell-like abilities
Special Qualities: Greater invisibility, immunity to pain, low-light vision, sense pain
Saves: Fort +0, Ref +8, Will +3
Abilities: Str 4, Dex 22, Con 12, Int 15, Wis 13, Cha 12
Skills: Diplomacy +6, Heal +8, Hide +23, Listen +6, Move Silently +11, Search +7, Sleight of Hand +11, Spot +6, Survival +3
Feats: Self-Sufficient, Weapon Finesse(B)
Environment: Urban
Organization: Solitary, Trio, or Ward (4-8)
Challenge Rating: 2
Treasure: Standard
Alignment: Often neutral good
Advancement: 3–4 HD (Tiny)
Level Adjustment: +3

A morphine fairie appears as a tiny man or woman dressed in a white coat and hair cropped at their shoulders. They have cool, intelligent eyes and an expression of detachment. Their mouths however are over-large with a proboscis that twitches in and out. Though they fly, they have no apparent wings, just wafting dreamily through the air.

Morphine fairies are creatures dedicated to the alievment of pain. This is not wholey altruistic, for they empthatically experience stabs of pain from all those nearby until they cannot think of doing anything but to help them if only to help themselves. Most feel it is a worthwhile goal, while some do it soley to aid themselves, and others do it for the purpose of putting the being out of its misery and the sense of power it gains.

Morphine fairies speak Common and Sylvan.

Combat
Morphine fairies usually go invisible if threatened and flee, while others will sneak back upon their victim to stab them painlessly over and over until it can no longer fight back.

Greater Invisibility (Su): A morphine fairie remains invisible even when it attacks. This ability is constant, but the fairie can suppress or resume it as a free action.

Morphine (Ex): The bite of a morphine fairie is utterly painless, introducing a substance that numbs the nerves and fills the being with contentment. A living creature subjected to a bite attack gains immunity to pain for 1 minute.

If the target sustains 4 bites in the same hour they must succeed on a DC 12 fortitude save or be affected as the Sleep spell for 1 hour (regardless of Hit Dice), though if they are awakened before this time they still act as if Stunned for 1d4 minutes. For each bite the save DC after the 4 original increases by 1. The length of these affects stack from multiple bites.

Sense Pain (Ex): A morphine fairy empathically senses a creature in physical pain out to sixty feet, though cannot pin-point its exact position until within 5 feet.

Sneak Attack (Ex): As Rogue's ability, dealing 1d6 extra damage. A morphine fairy's sneak attack is not felt, and the opponent does not realize it has been hit until the start of the fairie's next turn.

Spell-like Abilities: 3/day Color Spray, Cure Light Wounds, Daze Monster, Deathwatch, Silent Image. Caster level 6th. Save DC's are Charisma-based.

SurlySeraph
2007-07-15, 06:42 PM
Its attack does 1d2-3. If I understand correctly, a morphine fairy effectively cannot do any damage (unless it's a sneak attack, in which case it does 1d2-3 + 1d6). That makes it pretty hard to figure out a CR. Since its spells are fairly weak and the morphine ability requires 4 successful attacks to work (and even then, the save DC against sleep is only 12), the CR has to be pretty low, though.

Overall, I like it. Also, I want a morphine fairy. I'll keep it in a jar or something.

Khantalas
2007-07-15, 06:44 PM
Its attack does 1d2-3. If I understand correctly, a morphine fairy effectively cannot do any damage (unless it's a sneak attack, in which case it does 1d2-3 + 1d6).

It means it deals 1 damage with the attack. But if its strength increases to 10 or more, it may be able to deal more damage.

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-07-15, 07:03 PM
Its attack does 1d2-3. If I understand correctly, a morphine fairy effectively cannot do any damage (unless it's a sneak attack, in which case it does 1d2-3 + 1d6).
Yeah, as Khant says, it deals 1d6+1 basically.

That makes it pretty hard to figure out a CR. Since its spells are fairly weak and the morphine ability requires 4 successful attacks to work (and even then, the save DC against sleep is only 12), the CR has to be pretty low, though.
I'm giving it a CR of 2. And btw, the DC increases by 1 each time its stung after the 4th.

Fishies
2007-07-15, 07:45 PM
Also, I want a morphine fairy. I'll keep it in a jar or something.

I don't think the fairy would appreciate that.

Orzel
2007-07-15, 08:15 PM
I like it. Better that the Morphairies my old DM used (grigs with sleep+CLW poison on their teeth).

Krimm_Blackleaf
2007-07-15, 08:20 PM
I like it. Better that the Morphairies my old DM used (grigs with sleep+CLW poison on their teeth).

...They already existed...?

Huh... Who knew?

Orzel
2007-07-15, 08:34 PM
...They already existed...?

Huh... Who knew?

yup them, the Kool Aid man, and the Cocaine Golem.

DracoDei
2007-07-17, 11:09 AM
Cocaine Golem.

Saw this a few days ago... took me this long to work up the courage to as:
Description/Stats please?

Captain van der Decken
2007-07-17, 11:16 AM
So.. can you feel the bite at all?

And wouldn't immunity to pain make it pretty difficult to tell when someone is attacking you? Particularly a diminutive, invisible fairy.

"Bob."
"What?"
"Bob!"
"What?!"
"Your leg just fell off."

Zeta Kai
2007-07-17, 11:24 AM
You could use Anesthetize, one of the leech's special abilities. To paraphrase (for legal reasons):

• Anesthetize (Ex): a creature bitten by a [CREATURE] must succeed on a Spot check (opposed by the [CREATURE]’s Hide check) to notice the attack; each round of [ONGOING EFFECT] entitles the victim to another Spot check to notice the [CREATURE], with a cumulative +1 bonus on the check per round after the first; victims that have some means of detecting the [CREATURE] without seeing it notice the attack automatically

elliott20
2007-07-17, 11:27 AM
I don't think the fairy would appreciate that.

Only if it doesn't know what's good for it (http://www.vgcats.com/comics/?strip_id=118).

Cocaine Golem.

Then there's there more common and much cheaper to produce variation: craack fiend.

Draz74
2007-07-17, 12:06 PM
LA +3 seems low. An ECL 5 character that has constant Greater Invisibility, a size category that's usually hard to get, and a special Sleep effect on all of its attacks (after the first 3)? Seems abuse-able.

... I mean, a normal party doesn't even get access to Greater Invisibility at all until ECL 7.

Captain van der Decken
2007-07-17, 12:36 PM
You could use Anesthetize, one of the leech's special abilities...<snip>

That'd be a pretty good idea. Though doesn't invisibility give a hefty bonus to hide?

Saeveo
2007-07-17, 02:23 PM
Morphine, huh? What about overdoses? 15 bites would probably be fatal. Or should a fairy stop biting once its victim is asleep?

Arbitrarity
2007-07-17, 02:27 PM
LA +3 seems low. An ECL 5 character that has constant Greater Invisibility, a size category that's usually hard to get, and a special Sleep effect on all of its attacks (after the first 3)? Seems abuse-able.

... I mean, a normal party doesn't even get access to Greater Invisibility at all until ECL 7.

Ever seen a pixie? Ok, no diminuitive, but sleep arrows, better ability mods, a bunch of DR, etc.

The Vorpal Tribble
2008-03-31, 07:01 AM
April fool's bump! http://forums.gleemax.com/images/smilies/crazy.gif

dman11235
2008-03-31, 11:22 AM
You're a day early!

Anyway, LA is fine. I want to play one now. But............why 2 HD? Doesn't seem right to me.

Well, I laughed.

AugustNights
2008-03-31, 12:05 PM
Funniest part of this monster?

Organization: Solitary, Trio, or Ward (4-8)
Ward... This is why I love your homebrews, Vorpal Tribble, the simple elegance
even in places I would normally ignore.

I want a Fey ran hospital.
With Nymphs as nurses, fairies as phlebotomists and pharmacist, Satyre receptionists, and Dryad Doctors. Good lord, it could be wonderful.

Rizban
2008-03-31, 11:09 PM
I wonder how long we could keep a few of these alive in our cleric's "dungeoneering first aid kit"...

DracoDei
2008-04-01, 05:27 AM
"dungeoneering first aid kit"...

Description please?

Pie Guy
2008-04-02, 09:07 PM
Description please?

Fighter: I got the swords in my head thinky thing.
Cleric: *Sigh* I'll get the spell...