PDA

View Full Version : The Cyclops [MitPII]

Zeta Kai
2007-07-16, 07:28 AM
Originally Posted by Lord Iames Osari
Announcement: With polls disabled, votes should be posted in the threads themselves or PMed to myself and Fax. Format your votes like this so that it will be easier to pick them out from the rest of your post: MitP Vote: Yes or MitP Vote: No. Thank you.

Brought back from the dead (i.e. 2nd Edition), here is the One-Eyed Wonder:

Cyclops (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyclops)
Huge Giant
Hit Dice: 15d8+90 (157HP)
Initiative: -4
Speed: 40’ in hide armor (8 squares); base speed 50’ (10 squares)
Armor Class: 21 (-2 size, -2 Dex, +12 natural, +3 hide armor); touch 6; flat-footed 21
Base Attack/Grapple: +11/+30
Attack: Greatclub +20 melee (3d6+16) or Slam +19 melee (1d6+11) or Rock +7 ranged (2d8+11)
Full Attack: Greatclub +20/+15/+10 melee (3d6+16) or 2 Slams +19 melee (1d6+11) or Rock +7 ranged (2d8+11)
Space/Reach: 15’/15’
Special Attacks: Rock Throwing
Special Qualities: Low-Light Vision, Rock Catching, Giant traits, One Eye
Saves: Fort +15, Ref +1, Will +6
Abilities: Str 33 (+11), Dex 6 (-4), Con 23 (+6), Int 5 (-3), Wis 12 (+1), Cha 8 (-1)
Skills: Appraise -5, Climb +13, Craft -5, Decipher Script -5, Disable Device -5, Forgery -5, Hide -10, Intimidate +7, Jump +12, Listen +4, Open Lock -4, Search -5, Sense Motive -1, Spellcraft -5, Spot -1, Survival +5 (tracking-based +3)
Feats: Awesome Blow, Cleave, Great Cleave, Improved Bull Rush, Improved Overrun, Power Attack
Environment: temperate hills
Organization: solitary, pair, spectacle (3-10 + 30% noncombatants), or tribe (11-30 + 30% noncombatants)
Challenge Rating: 10
Treasure: standard coins; 2× goods; ˝ standard items
Alignment: often Chaotic Evil
Advancement: by character class
Level Adjustment: +8

With a bellowing roar of rage, a reeking beast of a giant lumbers into view. Its single eye glares at you with dull-witted fury as it raises its tree-like club to attack.

Skin color among cyclopes ranges from pale cream to murky grayish brown. Their hair is brown or black (although they are often bald, even the females), with an eye that can be brown, gray, yellow, orange, or red. Cyclopes wear layers of crudely prepared hides with the fur left on. They seldom wash or repair their garments, preferring to simply add more hides as their old ones wear out.

Adults are about 19’ tall & weigh about 5,500 pounds, with the females slightly larger. Cyclopes can live to be 150 years old.

Combat
Cyclopes prefer to fight from high, rocky outcroppings, such as cliff-side ledges & elevated caves, where they can pelt opponents with rocks & boulders while limiting the risk to themselves.

Cyclopes love to make charge attacks against smaller creatures when they first join battle. Thereafter, they stand fast & swing away with their massive clubs, trying to make as many cleaving attacks as they can.

• Rock Throwing (Ex): the range increment is 150’ for the Cyclops’s thrown rocks

• One Eye: as all Cyclopes have only one eye, they have a -2 circumstance penalty to skill checks (Appraise, Craft, Decipher Script, Disable Device, Forgery, Open Lock, Search, Sense Motive, Spellcraft, Spot, & tracking-based Survival checks), initiative checks, Dexterity checks, ranged attack rolls, & Reflex saving throws (NOTE: this penalty is reflected in all of the above statistics)

Cyclopes as Characters
Reckless brutes of incredible strength but little wit, cyclops characters are never truly accepted into society. They are usually hated, even among other giant-kin, for their dimness & savage cruelty. Yet they do well on its edges and frontiers, forging a strong and profitable existence as shepherds & bandits.

Despite their rugged appearance and great size, their basically humanoid shape makes it easy for them to relate with more civilized folk.
Cyclops characters possess the following racial traits:

• +22 Strength, -5 Dexterity, +12 Constitution, -6 Intelligence, +1 Wisdom, -3 Charisma
• Huge Size (-2 penalty to AC, -2 penalty on attack rolls, -8 penalty on Hide checks, +8 bonus on grapple checks, lifting & carrying limits 4× those of Medium characters)
• Space/Reach: 15’/15’
• A cyclops’s base land speed is 50’
• Low-Light Vision
• Racial Hit Dice: A cyclops begins with 15 levels of giant, which provide 15d8 Hit Dice, a base attack bonus of +11, and base saving throw bonuses of Fort +9, Ref +5, and Will +5.
• Racial Skills: A cyclops’s giant levels give it skill points equal to 15 × (2 + Int modifier). Its class skills are Climb, Intimidate, Listen, & Survival
• Racial Feats: A cyclops’s giant levels give it 6 feats
• +12 natural armor bonus
• Special Attacks (see above): Rock Throwing
• Special Qualities (see above): Rock Catching, One Eye
• Weapon and Armor Proficiency: A cyclops is automatically proficient with simple weapons, martial weapons, light and medium armor, and shields.
• Automatic Languages: Giant
• Bonus Languages: Common, Dwarven, Gnome, Goblin, Orc
• Favored Class: Barbarian
• Level Adjustment: +8

Zeta Kai
2007-07-16, 07:36 AM
For the record, I actually did find cyclopes in two 3.X Edition books: Shining South & Dieties & Demigods. As I lack both books, can anyone tell how this version compares to the two official ones?

TheEscapist
2007-07-16, 02:04 PM
I'm not sure about the other two 'official' versions that you mentioned, but I really like this one you've cooked up. Because of the redundacy, it probably won't make it into the book, otherwise I would probably give it a 'Yes' vote.

Only two suggestions: 1) The 'rock throwing' and 'one eye' descriptions should be in the combat section - I know it's a minor detail, but it bears mentioning - and 2) I personally feel a cyclops should be of at least Huge size. I believe legendary cyclopes were very large, quite a bit larger than your standard D&D ogre. Hence the quintessential Lovecraft term 'cyclopean.'

adanedhel9
2007-07-16, 06:17 PM
A very nice adaptation. Nontheless, I'm going to vote against it for MitP, since I don't think adaptations really belong.

For ease of use, you should include the penalties from One Eye in the stat block. But for clarity, you should note that you did that in the One Eye description.

I agree with The Escapist that cyclopes should be larger... at least if you are thinking in the terms of Greek mythology.

Challenge rating seems a little bit low (compare to the Hill Giant)... maybe 8 or even 9.

MitP: No

Anxe
2007-07-16, 08:49 PM
They released 2 different versions in Deitys and Demigods. This one is a tad different though. I'll give it the green light. Mitp: Yes

EDIT: The other two versions both appeared in Deities and Demigods. One had 13HD, was large and CR 8. The other 16HD, huge, and CR 11. A few extra things on the huge one, but I don't want to get sued into the ground for mentioning them. Your's is closer in strength to the Huge one. Should have a higher CR. I'd suggest 9.

TheLogman
2007-07-16, 10:01 PM
Because the name appears inside a published work, even if it'd different, you can't use it.

I had an Ice Elemental, but because in the 3.0 book Manuel of the Planes there was an Ice Paraelemental, even though they were completely different, I had to change the name.

Then, I changed the abilities to suit the name, cause it was a better name, and deserved different flavor.

Anxe
2007-07-16, 11:34 PM
It's a cyclops. I don't think you can really copyright the name... Same for ice elemental.

Zeta Kai
2007-07-17, 07:28 AM
Based on everyone's suggestions (most of which I agree with), I have complete overhauled the cyclops (please see above statistics for the changes). Virtually everything is different now:

• the size is now Huge
• the stats have been altered to reflect the new size
• the stats have been altered to reflect the One Eye ability
• the special attack descriptions were moved to the Combat section
• things have been tweaked for flavor

Also, no company can place a mythological being under copyright. Trademarks are possible (such as Cyclops, the X-Man), but I doubt Marvel Comics is going to hand anyone a cease-&-desist over the use of actual cyclopean creatures.

Anxe
2007-07-17, 09:01 AM
Looks good to me except Dex of 6 gives you a -2 not 4.

Zeta Kai
2007-07-17, 10:34 AM
Looks good to me except Dex of 6 gives you a -2 not 4.

Not when you factor in the One Eye penalties.

aaron_the_cow
2007-07-17, 10:40 AM
this is asome cool.

MitP:Yes

Anxe
2007-07-17, 11:37 AM
Not when you factor in the One Eye penalties.

Right! Gotcha.

Zeta Kai
2007-07-18, 12:34 PM
*shameless bump*:smallbiggrin:

DragonTounge
2007-07-18, 01:28 PM
I think they made a cyclops in the dieties and demigods book. But since its different, and since something like this happened to my reef golem (originally the coral golem). I'm going to give it a MitP: Yes