PDA

View Full Version : What school for Wizards?

StaleGoat
2016-12-15, 08:56 AM
So I chose to play a wizard Tiefling and our next session starts in a few days but we're pretty much going to be quick levelled after our introduction fight to level 2, and I want to have a school ready. Honestly they all sound pretty alright to me, except Divination sounds a little lame, and I don't think necromancer would suit my Tiefling too much since she tries to stay away from things that people think are bad...

What have you guys chosen and why?

Stealth Marmot
2016-12-15, 11:52 AM
Hogwarts School of Wizardry and Witchcraft.

TheFamilarRaven
2016-12-15, 02:09 PM
Probably should re-post in the appropriate sub-forum. So much depends on what system you're using. For example, in Pathfinder, divination is one of the strongest schools. And in 3.5 you don't lose much by specializing in it either.

JeenLeen
2016-12-15, 03:25 PM
Based on context, I'd guess this is 5e.

Depends on what you want and how high-level you think the campaign will get. For example, if you're not going to get past level 10, the higher level features don't really factor into your choice.
To me, Transmutation, Abjuration, and Divination look the most appealing. Transmutation can have some useful utility stuff (depending on how your DM lets you use the minor transmutation abilities). Abjuration's extra HP is nice, as are some of the latter abilities. Divination looks like one of the strongest to me, especially Portent, but if you don't care for that, that's fine.

Evocation can be useful if you want to focus on damage. Necromancy seems good for what it does, but just doesn't work for most of my character concepts or the play style I enjoy. Illusion is potentially very powerful, but I'd recommend talking with your DM about how 'strong' illusions are, like how often NPCs get a save to see through them and just how well it will work or if it'll work how you think it will.

Of course, RP concerns can also be a factor, as is what abilities are more enjoyable to you as a player.

EDIT: more on exact question: haven't made a wizard myself, but when considering one or MCing into it, I've looked mainly at Abjuration and Divination. I love the idea of the rerolls from Divination, and the higher-level stuff is nice, too. Transmutation a close third, but I think it would be too cheesey to try to use it to a fun degree.

braveheart
2016-12-15, 04:38 PM
I Haven't looked too much at the high level features, but in 5th edition I have found conjuration to be an extremely fun basic ability. making small objects at will is extremely useful, especially if you get creative.

It's a fun trick to take a diplomancer and sell conjured items as though they are magic for large amounts of free money (leave town immediately if you do this)

JeenLeen
2016-12-15, 04:48 PM
I Haven't looked too much at the high level features, but in 5th edition I have found conjuration to be an extremely fun basic ability. making small objects at will is extremely useful, especially if you get creative.

It's a fun trick to take a diplomancer and sell conjured items as though they are magic for large amounts of free money (leave town immediately if you do this)

Tangential to the main topic, but you can also do this as a Eldritch Knight (the fighter archetype), selling a weapon you've bonded to yourself then recalling it once you are away. Though I and I reckon most DMs would say that Detect Magic or Identify could detect the bond, by RAW I'm not sure.

On topic, that creativity for Conjuration is something I like. I've wondered if that means you could create a key for a cell you are locked in, particularly if you've seen the key as you were locked in the cell.

braveheart
2016-12-15, 05:45 PM
Tangential to the main topic, but you can also do this as a Eldritch Knight (the fighter archetype), selling a weapon you've bonded to yourself then recalling it once you are away. Though I and I reckon most DMs would say that Detect Magic or Identify could detect the bond, by RAW I'm not sure.

On topic, that creativity for Conjuration is something I like. I've wondered if that means you could create a key for a cell you are locked in, particularly if you've seen the key as you were locked in the cell.

I take the perfect memory feat so that I can always pull this off, my GM wouldn't allow me to do it without the feat though.

RazorChain
2016-12-16, 08:04 AM
Hogwarts School of Wizardry and Witchcraft.

Durmstrang Institute or Beuxbatons Academy of Magic are better choices.

But I would heartily recommend the Unseen University "Nunc Id Vides, Nunc Ne Vides" "Eta Beta Pi"

If you fail to get in then you might try Bugarup or Krull.

Good Luck

Freed
2016-12-16, 05:21 PM
Conjuration and Transfiguration are my favorite. Conj. is good all around, and transmutation is amazing if your DM is of a lenient variety.

LibraryOgre
2016-12-19, 02:47 PM
The Mod Wonder: Lacking any idea which subforum this belongs in, I'm closing it. Reopen in the appropriate subfoum