PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next 5e Inquisitor Base Class [PEACH]

Llama513
2016-12-18, 12:45 AM
This is the Link to the class: http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/ry-M8IV4g

Any advice is welcomed, I am hoping to finally get this class brought over to 5e as I really enjoy the concept and its play style.

The link changed because my computer freaked out and I had to re make it as the initial copy was not connected to my homebrewery account for some reason

Steampunkette
2016-12-18, 02:10 AM
Some notes.

AC judgement breaks bounded accuracy.
Judgements should recover on short rest, and max at 5. It's too fickle a mechanic for daily use.
Have second and third judgements use further judgements to make up for the cost difference.

Monster's bane: if it stacks with Divine Strike that's weapon plus 2d6 plus 2d8 on every attack. Way too much with extra attack.

Arkhios
2016-12-18, 10:40 AM
None of the existing classes have two good saving throw proficiencies. Every single class has one of Dexterity, Constitution, or Wisdom and one of Strength, Intelligence, and Charisma. None of them start with proficiency in Constitution and Wisdom, for example. Going against this is clearly against the design philosophy behind official classes.

Llama513
2016-12-18, 11:16 AM
Some notes.

AC judgement breaks bounded accuracy.
Judgements should recover on short rest, and max at 5. It's too fickle a mechanic for daily use.
Have second and third judgements use further judgements to make up for the cost difference.

Monster's bane: if it stacks with Divine Strike that's weapon plus 2d6 plus 2d8 on every attack. Way too much with extra attack.

I adjusted the AC judgment to be only go up every six levels, thus it only gives a plus 4 at level 18, is that still too high, or is that okay?

I'll fix the uses of judgment

Just for clarification are you saying to have second and third judgment cost two and three uses

As for monster's bane divine strike I thought it was just on one attack a turn that you can have them both active, if not thats what I meant, but if that is too powerful I can adjust.

If I adjust my thought is to either not have the increase in dice for monster's bane, or to have it be that you add wisdom to damage

None of the existing classes have two good saving throw proficiencies. Every single class has one of Dexterity, Constitution, or Wisdom and one of Strength, Intelligence, and Charisma. None of them start with proficiency in Constitution and Wisdom, for example. Going against this is clearly against the design philosophy behind official classes.

My bad, I'll change that, my thought being to give them wis and cha, and then possibly grant con later, possibly with stalwart or should i go later or not at all

Change Log 1.1

-Made judgment per short rest, and you get more uses at 5th, and every 5 after
-Saves are now just Wisdom and Charisma
-AC judgment now increases every 6 levels
-Monster's Bane adds your Wisdom Modifier to damage
-Second and Third judgments adjusted so that they cost a use for each ability that is activated when they are used

I'm thinking about adding an archetype for hunting down heretics, but I'm not sure how to differentiate it from the Monster hunter enough to make it feel as truly unique, any ideas.

My thought being to give them at 3rd level they add Wisdom to Investigation when you are looking into heretics, at 7th level an ability called Heretic's Mark, that allows you to gain the affect of locate creature on the marked target for 8 hours, useable Wisdom Modifier times a day. At 15th level You add 1D8 to damage dealt against marked targets. Not sure what exactly to do for 20th level, my thought being something that makes the heretic's mark permanent and gives something like advantage against those marked, and then some massive damage option ending the mark on your target.

Arkhios
2016-12-18, 05:27 PM
I'm thinking about adding an archetype for hunting down heretics, but I'm not sure how to differentiate it from the Monster hunter enough to make it feel as truly unique, any ideas

I'm a bit irked about you trying to steal the attention away from my Inquisitor sub-class! (no, not seriously :smalltongue:)

I really don't think there's a need for a new class every time a new concept arises; existing classes should and could be worked to serve as their basis), but then again, you've done some great job already and it seems to be relatively functional class.

Since heretics are people walking among people like yourself, rooting them out can be a bit more difficult as you can't determine anyone as a heretic just by looking at them. Instead, you would have to identify their motives and mannerisms to discover them.

Maybe change Monster Lore to Anticipate Heresy:
Beginning at 3rd level, you have advantage on Intelligence (Investigation) and Wisdom (Insight) checks to root out heretics.

Llama513
2016-12-18, 05:35 PM
I'm a bit irked about you trying to steal the attention away from my Inquisitor sub-class! (no, not seriously :smalltongue:)

In truth if you hadn't already made your rogue archetype I would have made a stealth based archetype, with sneak attack, and called it the Spanish Inquisition, because nobody expects the Spanish inquisition.

I really don't think there's a need for a new class every time a new concept arises; existing classes should and could be worked to serve as their basis), but then again, you've done some great job already and it seems to be relatively functional class.

Thank you very much

Since heretics are people walking among people like yourself, rooting them out can be a bit more difficult as you can't determine anyone as a heretic just by looking at them. Instead, you would have to identify their motives and mannerisms to discover them.

Maybe change Monster Lore to Anticipate Heresy:
Beginning at 3rd level, you have advantage on Intelligence (Investigation) and Wisdom (Insight) checks to root out heretics.

I like that, I could then change the Monster's bane to be Mark of Heresy, I'm not sure how to decide the number of uses, my thought being just once, and having it work like a permanent hunter's mark type affect and just turning Monster Hunter into Heretic Hunter, and worrying about Monster hunter for later, or a different class

Change Log 1.2
- Monster Hunter is now Heretic Hunter
- Monster lore became Anticipate Heresy and Monster's Bane became Mark of Heresy (Adds 1d6 on first hit, then adds wis to damage after that, gives advantage on perception and survival to find marked target, does not go away until marked creature is dead or a wish/divine intervention is used to remove the mark)
- Added Multi classing rules

Steampunkette
2016-12-18, 06:52 PM
Bounded Accuracy is, essentially, the fact that a level 1 Goblin is still at least some level of danger to a level 20 fighter because the level 20 fighter's AC is still going to be fairly low.

It makes the difference, defense to offense, less about the attack roll or armor class, and more about the amount of damage dealt. Particularly when Advantage comes in.

And yeah, I did mean eat 2 or 3 Judgement uses and I think the current setup, there, is nice.

As to the Divine Strike/Monster Bane thing: The Bane entry says the type can be changed after a short rest, implying that it lasts from the bonus action to activate it all the way to the next short rest.

In which case an Inquisitor with Monster Bane can deal 1d6+2d8+2d6+5 (For stat mod) twice per round, then use a Bonus Action to make an off-hand attack for a further 1d6+2d8+2d6 damage (Assuming Short Swords). Averaged out that's around 60 damage per round without expending any resources.

For comparison, a Rogue flinging a couple shortsword attacks with a sneak attack on one does 11d6+5 and 1d6. 12d6 averages to about 42 damage.

So long as the Heretic Hunter has a reasonable chance of (Mostly) fighting humanoids for example (City Campaign, Drow-Centric campaign, etc) they're going to dish out some -serious- damage that at certain parts of the leveling process are going to put them way ahead of other strong damage dealers.

Outside of Alpha, anyhow.

Llama513
2016-12-18, 06:56 PM
Change log V 1.3
-Changed starting equipment to be more in line with the starting equipment of other classes
-Gave proficiency with Shields and Medium Armor
-Impervious changed to give advantage on all spell saving throws, and all spell attack rolls against you have disadvantage, no longer has the burst to allies

Bounded Accuracy is, essentially, the fact that a level 1 Goblin is still at least some level of danger to a level 20 fighter because the level 20 fighter's AC is still going to be fairly low.

It makes the difference, defense to offense, less about the attack roll or armor class, and more about the amount of damage dealt. Particularly when Advantage comes in.

And yeah, I did mean eat 2 or 3 Judgement uses and I think the current setup, there, is nice.

As to the Divine Strike/Monster Bane thing: The Bane entry says the type can be changed after a short rest, implying that it lasts from the bonus action to activate it all the way to the next short rest.

In which case an Inquisitor with Monster Bane can deal 1d6+2d8+2d6+5 (For stat mod) twice per round, then use a Bonus Action to make an off-hand attack for a further 1d6+2d8+2d6 damage (Assuming Short Swords). Averaged out that's around 60 damage per round without expending any resources.

For comparison, a Rogue flinging a couple shortsword attacks with a sneak attack on one does 11d6+5 and 1d6. 12d6 averages to about 42 damage.

So long as the Heretic Hunter has a reasonable chance of (Mostly) fighting humanoids for example (City Campaign, Drow-Centric campaign, etc) they're going to dish out some -serious- damage that at certain parts of the leveling process are going to put them way ahead of other strong damage dealers.

Outside of Alpha, anyhow.

I adjusted the AC judgment, to where at max it gives you +4 to AC, however I can adjust it further if need be, as for Monster's Bane it no longer exists, as I changed Monster Hunter to Heretic Hunter, and changed the way that Mark of Heresy, the ability that replaced Monster's bane works, I hope it brings it more into balance and fits better with the typical inquisitor as hunting and destroying heresy.

If the AC judgment is still to high I have a couple options, both bring it down to a +3 at max, the first being to have the plus be given at 7 and 14, the other being to have the plus be at 10 and 20.

I do appreciate your clarifying about the Bounded Accuracy, and putting the damage that I had in place in perspective

So some friends of mine have pointed out that judgment is a little to powerful right now, I am thinking that in order to bring it in to better balance I could have the bonus given increase when you get Second and Third Judgment, at 8th and 16th level. What do you guys think?

Changelog V 1.4:
- Changed AC judgment to increase at 8th and 16th level
- Changed judgments that improve to hit/ damage/ healing to line up with the Ability Score Improvement levels
- Brought Exorcist to be more in line power wise with the other archetypes, made the Verdict of Exorcism be a stun for a number of rounds equal to your wisdom modifier
-Removed Verdict of Exile, and changed it to Bane of the Nine Hell's judgment, gives advantage against Demons, Fiends, Fey, and Undead
- Edited the Spell list to include some Ranger spells for ranged inquisitor options

I think that at this point it needs to be play tested to really get things locked in, I want to thank you guys for your help getting the class to this point

Changelog 1.5
-Added the Divine Infiltrator archetype, for those who wish to sneak into an organization and gather information from within

Divine Infiltrator abilities:
3rd level, you gain deception and disguise kit, add Wisdom to stealth and deception
7th level, disadvantage against Beacon of Truth save, if target remains silent deal damage
15th level disguise self at will
20th rip information from the mind of target for large damage

I plan to play test the class when I can, but I don't have a campaign coming up soon, so if you can play test the class please do and let me know what you think

Changelog 1.6:
-Changed judgments bonus to be half your proficiency mod rounded down
-Hidden Among Heretics now doubles proficiency bonus to Stealth and Deception Checks

rudy
2016-12-21, 06:09 PM
Looking it over, my criticism is that it is way too powerful of a one-level dip, me thinks. It definitely outclasses any other one level dip option for armor/weapon proficiencies, since it gives a judgment bonus that scales with proficiency modifier, not class level.

It seems a bit too powerful in general, but I can't offer specifics beyond what I just stated.

rudy
2016-12-21, 06:12 PM
One *possible* fix for the dip-issue that comes to mind is limit rounds of the judgment to be capped at class level, or class level +1, or some-such. I do understand that this would introduce an annoying tracking element, however.

Llama513
2016-12-21, 07:12 PM
Thank you for pointing that out, I can make it go up at 8th and 16th, then have it last a minute, until later levels where it lasts until the end of combat, like rage, I will change the document when I get home, since changing the homebrewery on phone is annoying

As for the proficiencies gained, I think it lines up with ranger, I'll double check to make sure though

Changelog 1.7
-Judgments now increase at 8th and 16th level, so that a one level dip is not overpowered, in order to make sure that the one level dip did not include the bonus increase, made the increase part of the Second Judgment and Third Judgment abilities
-Judgments last for 1 minute, until you reach 15th level, where they last until the end of combat, which I made into the Lasting Judgment ability granted at 15th level

Looking it over, my criticism is that it is way too powerful of a one-level dip, me thinks. It definitely outclasses any other one level dip option for armor/weapon proficiencies,.

It's multi-classing Proficiencies are the same as Ranger

rudy
2016-12-21, 07:54 PM
It's multi-classing Proficiencies are the same as Ranger

Oh, I know. I meant *in combination* with the Inquisition. I think your latest change fixes the dip problem, though I still think it's a bit powerful overall. I'll see if I can't think up any more specifics.

Llama513
2016-12-21, 07:56 PM
Oh, I know. I meant *in combination* with the Inquisition. I think your latest change fixes the dip problem, though I still think it's a bit powerful overall. I'll see if I can't think up any more specifics.

It might be that it gets some really nice abilities early on, I may want to move cunning initiative to 9th or 5th level, Cause that is a massive boost to Initiative early on, now that I think about it, after looking at swashbuckler cunning initiative is right in line with that archetype, not sure about what should be changed

I can't believe I didn't notice until now, witch hunter doesnt give proficiency in arcana, I'll fix that when I get back home

Changelog V1.8:
- Added Kinslayer archetype with the following abilities

Vampiric Blood: At 3rd Level your vampiric blood grants you Darkvision out to 60 feet, if you already had darkvision increase its range by 30 feet. You have advantage on Perceptions checks that rely on sight, or for smelling blood, resistance to necrotic damage, and a bite attack explained below these benefits replace the normal benefits of vampirism explained in the monster manual.

Bite: Melee Unarmed Strike: one willing creature, or a creature that is grappled by you, incapacitated, or restrained. Deals 1d6 piercing plus 1D6 Necrotic damage. The targets hit point maximum is reduced by an amount equal to the necrotic damage taken, and you regain hit points equal to that amount. The reduction lasts until the target finishes a long rest.

Slayer's Brand Judgment:
At 7th level you gain the following judgment.

Slayer’s Brand (Su): When using this judgment, you gain the ability to brand undead creatures with
positive energy. To do so, you must make a successful melee
spell attack against the undead creature. This attack
deals an amount of radiant damage equal to 1d6
+ Wisdom Modifier, and burns yourr personal
symbol into the undead creature’s flesh, bone, or even its
incorporeal form. From that point onward, you
can sense the existence of the branded creature as if it were
the target of a locate creature spell (caster level equal to 1/2
the your level). A slayer’s brand lasts until
the undead creature is destroyed or until you
use this ability on another creature.

Greater Brand:At 15th level, you may add a number of the following modifiers equal to half your proficiency modifier rounded down to your Slayers Brand Judgment, and you can brand two creatures at a time.

Branding Ray:The slayer’s brand judgment can be used
as a ranged spell attack with a range of 20 feet. You
can take this modification more than once. Whenever you
does, you increases the range of your brand by 20 feet.

Debilitating Brand: A creature currently affected by the
slayer’s brand judgment takes a –2 penalty on attack rolls
against you.

Devastating Brand: When you attack a creature
that you have branded with your slayer’s brand, you score a critical hit on a roll of 19–20.

Holy Brand: You can use your brand on creatures Demons, and Fey as well.

Silver Brand: You can use your brand on
lycanthropes and creatures with vulnerability to silver as
well as undead.

20th level
Vampiric Heritage: At 20th level, you have learned to safely tap into your vampiric heritage. For 1 minute you transform into your true vampiric form. You take on the stats of the Vampire as detailed in the Monster Manual on page 297, with the following changes.

You keep your mental stats, and alignment, you do not gain the legendary resistances, or actions, and beyond the regeneration affect your health is unaffected by this transformation, use whichever AC is higher, between your normal AC and the Vampires.

Steampunkette
2016-12-22, 11:54 PM
I think you should note that Slayer's Brand can only be applied while casting judgement.

Unless you intend for it to be used, repeatedly, throughout the duration of the Judgement itself, in which case I'd suggest a number of separate uses.

Llama513
2016-12-23, 12:11 AM
I will clarify that it is meant to be when your judgment is active, I think I got it clarified, but I'm not great about telling how clear I have written something, so if you feel it is not clear enough and have a suggestion for how to make it clearer I would be very thankful for your help.

rudy
2016-12-23, 12:50 PM
I still would not allow this in my game for power reasons.

First, the 1 level dip is *still* way too good now that I'm looking at it again. Sure, some of the judgments aren't broken at first level, but Purity, Resilience, Resistance or Smiting as a 1 level dip? Yes, please. Still far, far better than any one level dip, because it would get you:

*An extra skill
*Martial Weapon Proficiencies & Armor
*An amazing 1st level ability that lets you, one combat per short rest, choose from a staggering variety of amazing powers, such as halving physical damage against yourself (sorry Barbarian; you thought you were relevant?), getting advantage on ALL saving throws (Oh, Monk, sorry I've showed up your 15th level ability), Resistance (oh, you need to use a spell slot for that, Wizard?).

It's just way, way too powerful, no matter what way you cut it.

As a straight class, the judgment ability overshadows so many other class abilities, as in what I've outlined above.

As a start to fixing this, I would suggest:

* Resiliency reduces damage from those sources by 1, 2 and 3 at the appropriate levels, instead of halving it. So that you don't make the barbarian obsolete.

* Purity adds a scaling bonus of +1, +2 or +3 to saves. Even that is really powerful.

* Resistance cannot be selected until 6th level (for comparison, the same level at which a Nature cleric gains their similar ability)

Llama513
2016-12-23, 12:54 PM
I still would not allow this in my game for power reasons.

First, the 1 level dip is *still* way too good now that I'm looking at it again. Sure, some of the judgments aren't broken at first level, but Purity, Resilience, Resistance or Smiting as a 1 level dip? Yes, please. Still far, far better than any one level dip, because it would get you:

*An extra skill
*Martial Weapon Proficiencies & Armor
*An amazing 1st level ability that lets you, one combat per short rest, choose from a staggering variety of amazing powers, such as halving physical damage against yourself (sorry Barbarian; you thought you were relevant?), getting advantage on ALL saving throws (Oh, Monk, sorry I've showed up your 15th level ability), Resistance (oh, you need to use a spell slot for that, Wizard?).

It's just way, way too powerful, no matter what way you cut it.

As a straight class, the judgment ability overshadows so many other class abilities, as in what I've outlined above.

As a start to fixing this, I would suggest:

* Resiliency reduces damage from those sources by 1, 2 and 3 at the appropriate levels, instead of halving it. So that you don't make the barbarian obsolete.

* Purity adds a scaling bonus of +1, +2 or +3 to saves. Even that is really powerful.

* Resistance cannot be selected until 6th level (for comparison, the same level at which a Nature cleric gains their similar ability)

Thank you for your help, I could drop the purity one if you feel is much too powerful, I will fix Resiliency and Resistance, made smiting give Radiant damage at 8th level, and only able to be selected once you reach 6th level

I feel like the class is getting really close to being what I set out to create, and I am really happy with the progress that I have made, but I also feel that their are a few options for character types that are missing from the class.

A truly evil archetype, a spell casting focused archetype (possibly, I'm not sure if this is really needed as you can get a lot out of the spell casting that already exists in the class, but that might just be me), and a more nature oriented archetype

I don't feel that a spell caster is needed, and at the moment I am not sure exactly how to make it work, I may come back to this archetype later if I find that it is needed, or enough people want it to be added

I have a general idea for the evil archetype, but am not entirely sure if it is even needed, or wanted, but I am going to give my general idea here

Hunter of Life:

Reaper Judgment:At 3rd Level you gain the following judgment.

Reaper: When you activate this judgment darkness swirls around appearing to take the shape of long flowing robes with a hood that covers your face, and a scythe made of bones forms in your hands. You are able to use the scythe as you would any other weapon, it has the following properties.

Bone Scythe: Two-Handed, Reach. To hit= Proficiency + Wisdom Mod, Damage equal 2D4+Wisdom Mod Necrotic damage

Reaper of Souls: At 7th Level when you reduce a creature to 0 hit points with your bone scythe you heal an amount equal to half the damage done to the creature. This ability does not activate if the creature is a undead or construct.

Death's Touch: At 15th Level while under the affect of Reaper Judgment, you gain the ability to cast Finger of Death without the need for material components or spending a spell slot. This Ability can only be used once per Long Rest. Your Divine Strike Damage becomes Necrotic Damage

One with Death: At 20th level, your connection to death transforms you into a being of undeath. Your flesh withers, and become stretched tight across your bones, making you appear gaunt and skeletal. Your eyes rapidly decay away leaving nothing but points of light burning in your empty sockets. You are continually sheathed in the robes of shadow that come with your reaper's judgment. Your type becomes undead, as such you gain the undead nature property, as well as resistance to Necrotic damage, and immunity to poison damage, you also gain the undead fortitude property. The damage from your Bone Scythe becomes 3d6+Wisdom Necrotic, you must still activate the reaper judgment to gain access to your Bone Scythe.

What are your guys thoughts

As for the nature inquisitor I'm not sure of the name yet, but I have the abilities in mind

3rd level ability would give proficiency in animal handling allow you to add double your proficiency to nature checks and animal handling checks, my thought being to have it be a poacher hunter, or something like that

7th level you get a judgment, it allows you to channel natures power to enter a hybrid form, you gain claw attacks that deal 1D6, and AC equal to 13+Dex+Wis, no access to weapons or armor as it merges into your flesh

15th level my thought being you gain scent and darkvision, and when under judgment your movement speed increases by 10, and you gain pack tactics

20th level improves judgment damage die on claws increases to 1D8, you may summon a nature spirit to aid you in battle, you gain the aid of a CR 5 Elemental of your choice (clarifying that this is meant to be Air, Earth, Fire, or Water Elemental)

I'm adding the Hunter of Life, archetype, waiting to come up with names for the nature inquisitor

Changelog 1.9
-Officially added Reaper, and Nature's Guardian to the document, came up with ability names for the nature inquisitor
-Tweaked Bone Scythe damage and Predatory Judgment damage
-Removed the bonus to insight and wisdom survival from inquisitor's sense
-Proficiency by archetypes that give expertise in ability checks at 3rd level
-Predatory judgment gives you weakness to silvered weapons

I am very close to having the class balanced and am not going to be adding new archetypes for a while, until I get a chance to play test what I have right now, as such I am wondering what your guys thoughts are on the Reaper and Nature's Guardian Archetypes

Llama513
2017-01-04, 03:50 PM
Tweaking some abilities, changed Stalwart and Anticipate Heresy, expect more changes to come soon

Resiliency grants resistance to slashing, piercing and bludgeoning, can't be chosen until 6th level as an inquisitor

Switched the order that you get Mark of Heresy and Slayer

Tweaked Resistance Judgment

Clarified Stalwart Change

Fixed wording to bring it closer to being in line with normal wording

Justice judgment just affects melee attack rolls now

Minor Tweaking of other abilities

Moved Cunning Initiative to 6th level

Master Interrogator no longer deals damage for remaining silent

Divine Disguise Grants Alter Self at will

Llama513
2017-01-17, 04:10 PM
Finally fixed Exorcist so that Closed Mind also includes Possession, sorry that took so long to get changed

Hillsy7
2017-01-17, 06:09 PM
I think a lot of the criticism you've been given is great and you've dealt with it appropriately, so I won't rehash these things.

Reading through, I've a couple of nit picks and a couple of general observations.

Firstly though, I like the mechanic - Sort of like a 1 minute battle master lite buff. At early levels, this gives good scope of options, and can be tailored to how the player wants to approach combat, and also rebalances depending on the type of enemy. Lots of approaches, lots of options. I like.....

So to the quick nit-picks. Firstly, when you skim the PHB, each class archetype gets something straight off the bat which is absolutely core to the archetype, and so gives it an immediately different feel. Think about the Ranger hunter getting Collossus Slayer Vs the Beast Master getting a Pet, Or the Fighter Champion Improved crit Vs the Battlemaster Superiority Dice Vs Eldritch Knight spell casting. Totally unique and completely alters how the character plays. At the moment aside from Reaper and Kinslayer, you only get skill proficiency until you hit level 7! I'd rather have a feat than an archetype, which doesn't jive with the ideas for an archetype. By all means keep the buff, just pick another level for it to come in at.

Witch Hunter and Heretic hunter, for example, don't really get anything that affects how the classes play until level 15. Here I would pull the level 15 abilities to level 3, and then if they feel overpowered, give a light version at level 3 and a full-fat version at 15. (Also you might want to revisit the wording on Witch's Bane. Nice idea, but it's not immediately clear when you get the bonus, who you get it on, and how long it lasts (That turn, next attack, permanently once they've given themselves away? What about if they are a recurring villain? What about magical items that cast spells). I really do like a mage killer concept, and it meshes great with the overall concept. But the wording could use a little tightening up.)

Which sort of brings me to the overall thing that's not quite sitting right. I think there's too many archetypes, all underpowered until you're getting towards capstone abilities. Personally I like the idea of having skill packages and quirk that alter with the archetype, but it feels like that's all there is to it. Compare that to the wizard and cleric who get all the flavour AND a core mechanic. I'd consider looking at breaking out the Skill/flavour packages into a choice option for the core class, and then seeing which mechanics you have less could be combined into 1 or 2 archetype. Perhaps heretic and witch slayer could fold together.

I'll leave it there because I think the core class and the adjustments you've made are working quite well, and there's plenty to work on. From a purely table feel point of view, the archetypes feel a bit scattered about. Fragmented. I'm not going to be pumped about choosing Witch Hunter because, at level 15, I'll get a +2 to saves and attacks.

But on the whole good work, that initial mechanic might need more balancing through playtesting (e.g early levels I'm spamming healing and Justice, then past level 3, healing and destruction arn't worth it compared to Justice and resiliance) but it's exactly the kind of flexible, choice based stuff I like.

Keep tweaking and good luck - almost there!

Llama513
2017-01-17, 07:05 PM
I think a lot of the criticism you've been given is great and you've dealt with it appropriately, so I won't rehash these things.

Reading through, I've a couple of nit picks and a couple of general observations.

Firstly though, I like the mechanic - Sort of like a 1 minute battle master lite buff. At early levels, this gives good scope of options, and can be tailored to how the player wants to approach combat, and also rebalances depending on the type of enemy. Lots of approaches, lots of options. I like.....

So to the quick nit-picks. Firstly, when you skim the PHB, each class archetype gets something straight off the bat which is absolutely core to the archetype, and so gives it an immediately different feel. Think about the Ranger hunter getting Collossus Slayer Vs the Beast Master getting a Pet, Or the Fighter Champion Improved crit Vs the Battlemaster Superiority Dice Vs Eldritch Knight spell casting. Totally unique and completely alters how the character plays. At the moment aside from Reaper and Kinslayer, you only get skill proficiency until you hit level 7! I'd rather have a feat than an archetype, which doesn't jive with the ideas for an archetype. By all means keep the buff, just pick another level for it to come in at.

Witch Hunter and Heretic hunter, for example, don't really get anything that affects how the classes play until level 15. Here I would pull the level 15 abilities to level 3, and then if they feel overpowered, give a light version at level 3 and a full-fat version at 15. (Also you might want to revisit the wording on Witch's Bane. Nice idea, but it's not immediately clear when you get the bonus, who you get it on, and how long it lasts (That turn, next attack, permanently once they've given themselves away? What about if they are a recurring villain? What about magical items that cast spells). I really do like a mage killer concept, and it meshes great with the overall concept. But the wording could use a little tightening up.)

Which sort of brings me to the overall thing that's not quite sitting right. I think there's too many archetypes, all underpowered until you're getting towards capstone abilities. Personally I like the idea of having skill packages and quirk that alter with the archetype, but it feels like that's all there is to it. Compare that to the wizard and cleric who get all the flavour AND a core mechanic. I'd consider looking at breaking out the Skill/flavour packages into a choice option for the core class, and then seeing which mechanics you have less could be combined into 1 or 2 archetype. Perhaps heretic and witch slayer could fold together.

I'll leave it there because I think the core class and the adjustments you've made are working quite well, and there's plenty to work on. From a purely table feel point of view, the archetypes feel a bit scattered about. Fragmented. I'm not going to be pumped about choosing Witch Hunter because, at level 15, I'll get a +2 to saves and attacks.

But on the whole good work, that initial mechanic might need more balancing through playtesting (e.g early levels I'm spamming healing and Justice, then past level 3, healing and destruction arn't worth it compared to Justice and resiliance) but it's exactly the kind of flexible, choice based stuff I like.

Keep tweaking and good luck - almost there!

I am glad that you like the class as a whole.

As for the Archetypes I will take a look back at them to get them feeling more unique and fix the power differences that you have pointed out.

What are your thoughts about giving them Expertise at third level, and just adding arcana to their list of skills.

Thank you for your advice

Llama513
2017-01-17, 09:35 PM
Reworked Heretic Hunter to be based around speed and divine wrath.

Changed up Witch Hunter to be more of a caster using the weapons of its enemy against them

Shifted around the abilities of Nature's Guardian and Reworked the Capstone to be Nature's Wrath

Gave Expertise at 3rd level

Dropped Mark of Heresy

Moved Exorcist and Divine Infiltrator to the end as I don't want to fully remove them just in case some one has ideas for them, but will remove if there are no ideas, or desire to keep them as they are the least equal and most pigeon holed of the archetypes Removed Exorcist and Divine Infiltrator, as for my purposes they are too niche, but if you wish to play an infiltrator, or one who's focus is on hunting down the creatures that corrupt the innocent I highly recommend Arkhios Inquisitor Archetype of Rogue thread found here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?504982-Roguish-Archetype-Inquisitor-(PEACH))

Direct Link to Homebrewery (http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/Hkbptrxz4x)

Resiliency is gone, made Barb obsolete, tweaked resistance to be any one damage type of your choice at 8th level.

Llama513
2017-02-23, 11:52 PM
After getting to play test the class I feel confident in saying that it is finished, and ready to roll, feel free to leave any comments about issues that you have found during play-testing that I may have missed.

Thank you all for your help in developing Inquisitor.

Llama513
2017-11-22, 01:07 PM
I know this has been done for a while, but with Xanathar's Guide out, and thus new spells I just wanted to let the users of this class on here know that I am adding spells to their list from the book