PDA

View Full Version : OOTS #346 - The Discussion Thread

The Giant
2006-09-11, 11:53 PM
New comic is up.

Roland St. Jude
2006-09-12, 12:01 AM
Snicker. I love flumphs! Er, squidy things.

Daraniya
2006-09-12, 12:01 AM
I must say, this is my favorite web comic. Could someone shed light on the white guys that keep getting the shaft in these comics?

Great as always Giant...

Roland St. Jude
2006-09-12, 12:02 AM
I must say, this is my favorite web comic. Could someone shed light on the white guys that keep getting the shaft in these comics?

Great as always Giant...

They're classic goofy characters that go back a long way.

Flumphs (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flumph)

EDIT: They're = They are.

Flyerfye
2006-09-12, 12:03 AM
I LOVE IT! Great SHTUFF
FIRST PAGE WOOT WOOT

Kanthalion
I just had to post since there was an odd chance that I would get first page for my first post. I love the running gags in this comic strip.

NoSoupForYou
Great comic Giant! I feel bad for the poor flumph ^_^
Good to see Haley back in the action!

P.S. But of course: first page!

Brother_Hood
2006-09-12, 12:04 AM
How nice to see him again. The walking pillow. :)

First Page at last!

Brickwall
2006-09-12, 12:04 AM
You named your hawk "Kitty"?!

That's hilarious.

inthesto
2006-09-12, 12:05 AM
A hawk named Kitty.

Is that like a boy named Sue?

Lord Iames Osari
2006-09-12, 12:06 AM
1st page

"I have special abilities more powerful than your entire class!"

spectralphoenix
2006-09-12, 12:07 AM
The return of the Flumph!

Looks like V isn't looking so good... hope Haley has some adamantine arrows stashed somewhere!

Edit: Generic Comment Gloating About Getting First Page.

White Blade
2006-09-12, 12:07 AM
Dear god! Thats one evil bird, Kitty really.

CockroachTeaParty
2006-09-12, 12:08 AM
That poooooor flumph. And poor Haley. CoDzilla is truly a challenge.

Lilly
2006-09-12, 12:11 AM
Oh my word. I hate puns. There were too many of them... A hawk named Kitty. The title.

I'm still gonna fall off my chair laughing though.

Frojoe21
2006-09-12, 12:14 AM
Poor Flumph. At least he's getting therapy. No bright tunnel for him.

TroyXavier
2006-09-12, 12:14 AM
Yay for the return of the Flumph. ;D

Tobimaro
2006-09-12, 12:16 AM
A hawk named Kitty? LOL ;D

And that poor creature that seems to get squished at random intervals tries to get help. And gets squished again. Priceless. ::)

Brett Wong
2006-09-12, 12:20 AM
Lol, the AD&D monster is back! woop! lol "kitty"

Lidjis
2006-09-12, 12:21 AM
a hawk is taking down haley? Jab at CoDzilla. Whatever good comic though.....second page?

fractal
2006-09-12, 12:23 AM
So will the Druid take out the entire Order of the Stick (sans Roy)? We haven't even seen Wildshape or offensive spells yet. I doubt Belkar or Elan could do much to help with this, given the Mark, and a Druid's excellent Will save.

rwald
2006-09-12, 12:23 AM
Is it just me, or are the OotS getting completely pwn3d this battle? It looks like Leeky has taken out three(!) party members (unless Durkon runs somewhere useful), and we've still yet to see Durkon's opposite or Thog or Nale. I don't see how they're getting out of this one.

Edited for stupidity.

MetalKelt
2006-09-12, 12:29 AM
That was great, m'kay

Still wondering where Nale and Thog are though

edit: 2nd page, woot!

Kish
2006-09-12, 12:30 AM
It looks like Leeky has taken out three(!) party members (unless Durkon runs somewhere useful), and we've still yet to see Durkon's opposite

You mean Belkar's, right?

ref
2006-09-12, 12:32 AM
Haley's in trouble... I wonder when we'll get back the jolly haley that always named animals... :)

And 2nd page, not too bad, eh?

Mal_the_Mad
2006-09-12, 12:41 AM
ok evil opposites in review

Nale-Elan
Thogg-Roy
Sabine-Haley
Pompey-V
Leeky- Durkon
???- Belkar

and the ever recurring flumph of cushion

Blackeagle
2006-09-12, 12:51 AM
KITTY!

:D

Great strip Giant!

First Haley focused strip in a while without any aphasia.

Is it just me, or are the OotS getting completely pwn3d this battle? It looks like Leeky has taken out three(!) party members (unless Durkon runs somewhere useful), and we've still yet to see Durkon's opposite or Thog or Nale. I don't see how they're getting out of this one.

They were getting pretty pwn3d in their first battle with the Linear Guild too, up until strip #59. Look how that turned out.

silvadel
2006-09-12, 12:53 AM
V is the one who looks to be in trouble -- I am not counting haley out yet -- I doubt stoneskin has much more left on it after all the arrows she has pelted kitty with. Maybe V's hawk will bury V's remains.

Teron
2006-09-12, 12:55 AM
Nice! The Giant was at the top of his game with this one.

I especially like "Foolish girl! I am a druid, I have special abilities that are more powerful than your entire class!" and "I see... a bright light. 'M gonna head towards it, 'kay?" The therapist's obliviousness makes that one especially funny.

Eh, I'm on the second page! Beat that, er... third-pagers!

Skyserpent
2006-09-12, 12:56 AM
BLARG! Druidzilla!

Niskers
2006-09-12, 01:05 AM
ah running jokes...is there anything better?

Sky_Schemer
2006-09-12, 01:15 AM
I am not counting haley out yet -- I doubt stoneskin has much more left on it after all the arrows she has pelted kitty with.

At 10 points/caster level, it's going to take a lot of arrows. :P

kristineadam
2006-09-12, 01:22 AM
Given that Haley should do a fair amount of sneak attack damage, that Stoneskin might run out of protection faster than you'd think. (Those last two hits would have definitely been close enough.)

But I have confidence that she'll come up with a better (and more devious) way to deal with 'Kitty'.

Boy was it funny though. I'm looking forward to the next installment... ;D

5tephen
2006-09-12, 01:28 AM
"I'm heading towards it, 'kay?"

Aw! Don't give up, Flumphy!

The Glitter Ninja
2006-09-12, 01:30 AM
Named the hawk "Kitty"... Kittyhawk... geddit? Geddit? It's funnay!

That's awesome. Poor pflumpf. No one can spell it right, especially me.

Screech
2006-09-12, 01:31 AM
Haha great onliners in there i really enjoyed that
short and sweet but leaving me desperate for more.

silvadel
2006-09-12, 01:35 AM
Sheesh wow on stoneskin -- just looked it up in the SRD. They REALLY made it more powerful since version 2 of it. I was thinking it was still limited by number of hits.... The vast majority of my AD&D play was under version 1 and 2 -- and while I have studied the version 3 player guide fairly well I missed that change.

250g per casting though is kind of pricy.

Dragon_Rider
2006-09-12, 01:37 AM
I knew there was a benefit to staying up past midnight!

Well done, Giant!

Myoro
2006-09-12, 01:47 AM
Amazing comic, as always.

Our Aasimar Samurai had a warhorse named Kitty... what are the odds? His choice was less for the sake of wit, though, and more for the sake of he was crazy.

Thomar_of_Uointer
2006-09-12, 01:51 AM
Well, V's down.
Haley's best bet is to grapple it, or find a weapon and engage it in melee so she can get sneak attack in. She could also ambush it, though its high Spot modifier may preclude this. If she's lucky, she will find Belkar, and he can take care of it.
Of course, this is all setup so Haley can engage with somebody else. Hmm... Maybe there's more to the "Haley tells Nale she loves him" theory than I thought...

Calamity
2006-09-12, 01:53 AM
Uh-oh, V and Haley are in trouble!

Great comic as usual and I am glad the flumph came back again! ;D

Charity322
2006-09-12, 02:01 AM
The Hawk is obviously Belkar's evil opposite! :P Because um he doesn't have an animal companion? And because it's smarter than him! (ok, maybe not, but it would be funny ;D)

Maybe it's V's raven's evil opposite. The raven will save V, and V will finally remember its name lol.

Nerd-o-rama
2006-09-12, 02:05 AM
"Foolish girl! I am a Druid, I have special abilities more powerful than your entire class!"

That is going in my signature in every D&D rules forum I visit.

Also, to whomever mentioned Haley's Sneak Attack getting through Kitty's Stoneskin: SA only applies against unaware opponents (or opponents the Rogue is flanking, but Haley's alone and it's impossible to flank with a bow anyway.)

Also, Hooray for ze Flumph!

Update: Hmm...sufficiently clever with the quote tags, I think, but unfortunately, they can only link to pages in the YaBB CGI...I'll just point it at the start of this thread...

Update update: Or I can not bother with that and keep my current sig and the quote after some abuse of tinyurl.

Ink
2006-09-12, 02:16 AM
The thing I liked best about this comic was the psychiatrist. He just looks really cute, the way he's drawn.

Solara
2006-09-12, 02:18 AM
Return of the flumphs, yay! Though I'm afraid it was beat out by 'You named your hawk Kitty?' for the LOL award.

...something about the way V had both the presence and the screwed up priorities to ask that question even while being WHUMPHed into the ground by an evil tree. ;)

Liliedhe
2006-09-12, 02:22 AM
*ROFL*

Very good comic. I feel pity for the poor Flumpf - if he has to visit Freud (that psychiatrist looks just like him ;D ) he must feel really bad. :'(

Don't give up! You will pull through...

Aerysil1
2006-09-12, 02:27 AM
Poor LG squid thing.

Felinoid
Laughed twice at this one. First at Kitty the Hawk (glad at least one other person got that) and then at the flumph, because you could so see where that was going but it was hilarious nonetheless.

On a side note, it looks like the Giant has definitely gotten over the predictions on the boards, whether by not looking at them or by not letting them bother him. So much of what has happened in the last few comics has been predicted, with Dispel Magic being only the latest example, and yet the Giant writes them up that way anyway, leading to some very good strips. It's probably more likely that he just isn't looking at the boards anymore, but however it happened, I for one am glad. :)

charik
Nothing beats recuring minor characters who have no real impact on the plot for pure comedy! To think that Cliffport would be a safe place to go to escape being fallen upon... :D

Tim
That white abused thingy actually had a name??!

mikeyq6
2006-09-12, 02:51 AM
...and a rogue too, well beyond the range of her sneak attack...

Is this a reference to the discussion on the board a few strips ago regarding Haley's being out of range on the rooftop?

V funny if that is the case.

And I love the grumpy looking trees!

Kaerou
2006-09-12, 03:24 AM
Rofl.. triply hilarious episode!

I have special abilities more powerful than your entire class!

Flumph squishing

Kitty Hawk :D

kagato3
2006-09-12, 03:52 AM
I almost expected the hawk to end up being too heavy to fly after stoneskin was cast on it. good comic.

RebelRogue
2006-09-12, 03:53 AM
That white abused thingy actually had a name??!
It's a flumph. It's not its name, but the name of the race.

Edit: And while I post anyway: Great comic :)

Max_Sinister
2006-09-12, 04:25 AM
Damn. Now Haley's out, too. And Durkon is probably still fleeing from evil trees.

Poor Flumph. Well, at least it survived the Displacer Beasts, as it seems.

Good to know that there are shrinks around in Cliffport, Durkon might need one too (to cure his fear from trees).

Antina
2006-09-12, 04:34 AM
The flumph is back, the flumph is BACK!!!

*dancing-twirling-dancing*

I love flumphs!!!! :-)

And the doctor not noticing anything going around - GREAT!!!

Iīm soooo happy!!!

Neopolis
2006-09-12, 04:43 AM
Yaaay, Flumphs! They're so... huggable.

Awesome comic.

dabone
2006-09-12, 04:45 AM
damn i'm gonna also name my hawk, kitty :p

mazurek
2006-09-12, 04:50 AM
OMFG ROTFLMAO
Tis funny to see how they are getting pwned!

I hope Giant isn't planning some "underestimated Elan saves the day" style ending - that is far too obvious.

Edit: W00t 4th page! (this is my best so far)

taraxia
2006-09-12, 04:58 AM
Of course the Flumph survived. It's a minor character in someone else's story, remember? The LG deities of the world (including Thor) probably created it and put it in the world for the sole function of cushioning the falls of Good-aligned characters in critical situations. (Why the hell else would you create a Lawful Good creature shaped like a squishy floating disc?)

I have to say, when both parties have only one CoDzilla, and one of the CoDzillas is angry and pwning while the other is sprinting away as fast as he possibly can... it doesn't look good for OotS.

Durkon's player totally sucks for attempting to powergame by taking Dendrophobia as a Flaw.

Mr_Samedi
2006-09-12, 05:04 AM
A fantastic comic, yet I killed 10 underlings in a rage when I read that Kitty Hawk joke.

Freelance Henchman
2006-09-12, 05:21 AM
Whoah, Nale chose at least one henchman well this time. Leeky just took out 2 of the OOTS by himself.

/Miko will save them. I know it ;D

Soepvork
2006-09-12, 05:22 AM
So V fails again.... I've never seen a wizard that didn't cast defensively when in melee...

Ikkitosen
2006-09-12, 05:41 AM
Prepared thwak + reach = poor wizard!

Nice comic, very cool :)

Freshmeat
2006-09-12, 05:45 AM
The trees' faces are still awsome ;D

ibitak84
2006-09-12, 05:52 AM
Given that Haley should do a fair amount of sneak attack damage, that Stoneskin might run out of protection faster than you'd think.Why would she deal Sneak Attack damage? She's not flanking, so the hawk would have to be denied its Dex bonus to AC?

Named the hawk "Kitty"... Kittyhawk... geddit? Geddit? It's funnay!I don't! Care to explain, please? 8)

The thing I liked best about this comic was the psychiatrist. He just looks really cute, the way he's drawn.It's old Sigmund! I wonder if he's a human? The size is kinda hard to tell when characters are sitting down and a dwarf would fit so many of the various Freudian complexes so nicely.

BunBunBot
2006-09-12, 06:15 AM
Long-time lurker, first-time poster. I had to register just to say [spolier]where is Blackwing[/spoiler]?

Delgarde
2006-09-12, 06:24 AM
It's old Sigmund! I wonder if he's a human? The size is kinda hard to tell when characters are sitting down and a dwarf would fit so many of the various Freudian complexes so nicely.

I think he's human... the legs are too long for a dwarf.

Amusing is that he apparently didn't notice someone falling through his roof, landing on his patient, and running for the door while shooting arrows at an angry hawk.

Sebastian
2006-09-12, 06:27 AM
I don't! (I'm stupid sometimes, I know.) Care to explain, please? 8)

wikipedia says this for "kittyhawk"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curtiss_P-40

smellie_hippie
2006-09-12, 06:46 AM
Kittyhawk is a great vacation spot on the "Outer Banks" of North Carolina. It's also a damn funny joke on OOTS! Great comic Giant! V needs to prepare "duck"...

TheDRaconicLord
2006-09-12, 07:01 AM
"Foolish girl! I am a Druid, I have special abilities more powerful than your entire class!"

I am using a modified version of this as a taunt from now on...it is simply perfect ;D

Also, I found too coincidental Leaky saying outloud "well beyond the range of her sneak attack." after the huge discussion on a previous thread about this :D

Anyway...OOTS rox! I just want to see how they are getting out of this one. Nale sure is kicking some butt this time ;D

Noneoyabizzness
2006-09-12, 07:39 AM
heh gotta love animal companions, especially ones with buffs

Dawnstrider_Moogle
2006-09-12, 07:58 AM
V getting punched in the face by a tree is funny beyond all reason.

Shara_Littlebottom
2006-09-12, 08:08 AM
I love the battle strips, and it's a been a while since we've had one. Gotta say this series of strips is shaping up to be totally awesome.

Great jokes this strip. Panel three, with the POV right behind Leekey's head was very cool.

Oddly in my gaming groups the least experienced players are often the cleric or druid, which balances the CoDzilla factor.
Leekey knows his capabilities and is using them very well though, making him quite a threat.

Two thumbs way up for this one!

Blaznak
2006-09-12, 08:08 AM
Hey! Not a bad webisode!

I wonder if the three arrows the Druid got nailed with were supposed to be a "multi-shot" or just rapid shot...

Later!

Sereno
2006-09-12, 08:50 AM
Why would she deal Sneak Attack damage? She's not flanking, so the hawk would have to be denied its Dex bonus to AC?

Haley could always feint, using Bluff vs. "Kitty"hawk's Sense Motive, and get in a sneak attack. It wouldn't bring down the Stoneskin immediately, but she'd be doing a lot more damage.

Heh heh heh... Flumphs...!

sakusha
2006-09-12, 08:56 AM
I thought to myself this morning, it's going to be a crappy day. I had to walk 15mins in the rain, dead-tired on my feet, only to have to work a 8+ hour day. "But, wait, it's Tuesday. Mayber - just maybe - Rich will have a new comic for us!"

And LO! There was a comic and there was much rejoicing (yay...) ;D So now I'm ready to go because I started laughing as soon as I read the TITLE!

Funny things in this comic:
1) The Title
2) Poor V's fizzled Dispel Magic
3) More druid gloating, "Foollish girl!"
4) Kitty the Hawk
5) Freudian-psychologist jokes
6) The return of the phlumf & squishing of said creature; " 'M gonna' go toward, 'kay?"

XDDDDD I believe someone else already said it, so I shall abbreviate as well: OMFG! ROTFLMAO! Thanky-thanky Giant!

Freelance Henchman
2006-09-12, 09:21 AM
Also: nice contrast of Leeky calling his hawk his "animal companion", while V doesn't like his/her raven..

Faramir
2006-09-12, 09:32 AM
As always, the flumph steals the show.

" 'M gonna head towards it, 'kay? "

KIDS
2006-09-12, 10:06 AM
"Foolish girl! I have special abilities that are more powerful than your entire class!"

;D really amazing, I just loved this one!!!

Goofy
2006-09-12, 10:10 AM
Also: nice contrast of Leeky calling his hawk his "animal companion", while V doesn't like his/her raven..

Animal Companion is the game rules term.

Kitty Hawk is the location of the first successful flight by the Wright Brothers.

Feint is generally terrible and there's no indication Haley will be using her sneak attack in one-on-one battle while using a ranged weapon.

Heloisa
2006-09-12, 10:19 AM
"I have special abilities more powerful than your entire class!"

A classic! :D

What can I say? I love it! It's good to see the OotS being kicked now and then. But aarrggghhhh will you show us Elan and Belkar already?! ::)

Kudos! :-*

TreesOfDeath
2006-09-12, 10:27 AM
6TH PAGE!
OMG MY LIFE IS COMPLETE!

Miklus
2006-09-12, 10:53 AM
-> Threes of death: Thats so sad... :)

Don't worry, Balkar will save the day! He will throw a rage and gnaw the bark of the trees like a beaver. Or Elan will ask the druid questions about the birds and bees until the druids head explodes.

Or something like that...If that doesn't work, the Oots is done for, I think. :P

armatil
2006-09-12, 11:20 AM
love the way V says "you named your hawk kitty?" whilst getting clobbered by a tree.

also: flumphs ftw!

Grey Watcher
2006-09-12, 11:39 AM
Personally, I'm just thankful that the Druid didn't name his animal companion "Lady."

My favorite line here is V's little aside, not for the pun that it illustrates, but just because it seems so appropriate that V is getting the stuffing beaten out of him, and all he can do is comment on how incongruous it is for a bird to have a name usually reserved for cats....

The therapists complete obliviousness hits just a tad too close to home (fear not, in a good way). ;D

And, of course, the Windstaff's taunt is just classic.

TinSoldier
2006-09-12, 11:42 AM
Personally, I'm just thankful that the Druid didn't name his animal companion "Lady." ::)

Yes, that would have been much worse!

Freelance Henchman
2006-09-12, 11:48 AM
Personally, I'm just thankful that the Druid didn't name his animal companion "Lady."

I think I would have gone with "Boss".

Get it? "Boss Hawk" LOL.

/Yee-haw!

ibitak84
2006-09-12, 12:05 PM
Haley could always feint, using Bluff vs. "Kitty"hawk's Sense Motive, and get in a sneak attack. It wouldn't bring down the Stoneskin immediately, but she'd be doing a lot more damage.Does she have Improved Feint? Eithe way, she doesn't look like she's expending any actions to feint. Also, Kittyhawk is a non-humanoid of animal inteligence; that's a -12 on the Bluff check (-8 if the DM's is a nice) and I think hawks have a decent Wis modifier.

Wulfwyn
2006-09-12, 12:12 PM
Yay the Flumph is back!

A hawk named Kitty...that's just...*sigh*

Great comic as usual!

orcmonk89
2006-09-12, 12:17 PM
Hehe. That was very funny. Another phrase I want on a T-Shirt.

Haarculaneaum
2006-09-12, 12:25 PM
Has anyone else noticed that V is a 12th level mage but keeps casting 3rd level magic?

Where is my Cone of Cold? My Blight? My Acid Fog? My Circle of Death? Fireball and Lightning Bolt? Come on, man PLAY A WIZARD!

Haar

Antina
2006-09-12, 12:44 PM

WOW! I hadnīt noticed that one! Thank you for mentioning!

AHEM - WAIT A MINUTE - WHERE EXACTLY IS BLACKWING RIGHTNOW?!

Ceres47
2006-09-12, 12:55 PM
Ok, I don't always read all these discussion threads, and this one is no exception. I do wonder, how do we know that V is lvl 12? I haven't seen them level 12 times, so I'm just curious. I'm sure it's been debated somewhere in the thread, but I'm lazy, and hence, will not search for it. I like to give Rich alot of credit. He has a great grasp of his characters, and I'm sure there are good reasons he doesn't use higher lvl spells. I like Rich using spells everyone would be familiar with. Maybe it's just me. BTW, thanks for bringing back the flumphs. I love the jellyfish.

p.s. oh yeah, this is Uthmah. Sorry, my computer is in the shop. LOL

MetalKelt
2006-09-12, 01:59 PM
I do wonder, how do we know that V is lvl 12? I haven't seen them level 12 times, so I'm just curious.

V has cast disintegrate twice in a single day, so either (s)he is level 11 with 22 Int or is level 12.

The Glitter Ninja
2006-09-12, 02:09 PM
When the druid says he has abilities more powerful than Haley's entire class, my husband responded, "Yeah, he probably does..." AND THEN EXPLAINED THEM TO ME. It's so cute but it's a waste, I didn't play much AD&D, so I was just nodding and saying, "Uh huh, right, oh how interesting..."

EmeraldFire
2006-09-12, 02:49 PM
"Foolish Girl! I have special abilities more powerful than your entire class!"

HAHA, oh man that was good. I forsee myself using something like that pretty soon.

Can't wait for Belkar's opposite!

Albion
2006-09-12, 02:57 PM
Ooooh what is this! Com'on Durkon, be a man!! ;D You're needed. That is some hot, funny action going on, great lines'n'stuff.

battleburn
2006-09-12, 03:23 PM
WOW! I hadnīt noticed that one! Thank you for mentioning!

AHEM - WAIT A MINUTE - WHERE EXACTLY IS BLACKWING RIGHTNOW?!
Shot above the rogue camp!!

Aegeus
2006-09-12, 03:24 PM
*sings*
Oh, no. There goes Tokyo, Go go CoDzilla! ;D

Haarculaneaum
2006-09-12, 03:25 PM
Uthmah,
You like Rich using spells everyone is familiar with but that's at the sake of making sense in the comic and being true to the character.

Has anyone else noticed the disjoint between V's abilities and hiser fighting in this battle?

Two disintegrates would have been ideal.

Haar

kamoo
2006-09-12, 03:39 PM
Gooooood, seventh page!

not bad for a first one, isn't it?

where is the VERY EXPENSIVE material components of the stone skin that the druid cast in Kitty?
Its a very good spell, but with very expensive things to cast, or this is just a 3.0 rule?

two desintegrate may solve it to easy...

SPoD
2006-09-12, 03:48 PM
Has anyone else noticed that V is a 12th level mage but keeps casting 3rd level magic?

Where is my Cone of Cold? My Blight? My Acid Fog? My Circle of Death?

Blight and Circle of Death are Necromancy; we have never seen V cast any necro spells, and since we know he's a specialist, it's a safe bet that he's barred from the school. He is explicitly barred from Conjuration, as per strip #340, so no Acid Fog.

And Cone of Cold is frankly little better than Fireball or Lightning Bolt; if V is 12th level, it's an extra 2d6 damage. But remember that V knows that treants/animated trees should be VULNERABLE to fire! Why on earth would he/she pull out Cone of Cold before Fireball, then? He/she's attacking with what he/she thinks will do the most damage to the trees. Also, that may be Chain Lightning in strip #345, we don't know.

None of which takes into account the fact that V didn't know he/she was going to be fighting trees today! Asking why he/she didn't prepare Blight, a spell that is ONLY useful against plants, is rather missing the point of strip #345--which is that V wasn't properly prepared for this fight. He/she IS fighting like a wizard--a wizard that was taken completely off-guard!

Now, as for why he/she hasn't cast Disintegrate, if he/she has a maximum of two of them, he/she might be saving them for the Linear Guild members themselves. He/she knows they will be fighting Nale, Thog, and maybe Sabine, and wouldn't want to waste his "big guns" on animated trees. Or, one could make the argument that the trees are blocking V's line of fire to the druid in all of those panels (tough to tell with stick figures) and V is waiting to get a clear shot.

So yeah, I think V is doing just what I would expect from an Evocation specialist fighting an unexpected foe while knowing that a different powerful foe might show up any moment. He/she is trying to use his/her lower level spells to maximum effect while saving the best spells for the later opponents.

sakusha
2006-09-12, 04:30 PM
What the heck is CoDzilla anyway?

Kish
2006-09-12, 04:31 PM
There's a meme that clerics and druids are overpowered. "CoDzilla" comes from adding "-zilla" to "CoD," for "Cleric or Druid."

sakusha
2006-09-12, 04:32 PM
There's a meme that clerics and druids are overpowered. "CoDzilla" comes from adding "-zilla" to "CoD," for "Cleric or Druid."

:o :-[ M'kay...

Kresalak
2006-09-12, 05:05 PM
Facing a Druid, and the only one who can face him is running away in fear.

Daedrous Avari
2006-09-12, 05:22 PM
Woot! Awesome comic.

TinSoldier
2006-09-12, 05:41 PM
AHEM - WAIT A MINUTE - WHERE EXACTLY IS BLACKWING RIGHTNOW?!Trying to find some Gingko Bilboa ;D !

Fillbert
2006-09-12, 05:50 PM
Kitty Hawk, birthplace of flight.... so cheesey.. ..uummmmmmmm cheesey goodness......

Haley... grab that bird by the feet and pretend its the cat in Montey Python's Holy Grail... (wack it against a wall)... I doubt stoneskin will protect against that....

V... cast blade barrier or someting, get the heck out of there and attack the source not the symptoms.....

Giant... loved this one.. ;D ;D ;D

LurkerBeneath
2006-09-12, 06:33 PM
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/bladeBarrier.htm

Level: Clr 6, Good 6, War 6

Blade Barrier is not a Wizard spell.
-LB

Dudukain
2006-09-12, 06:35 PM
I really must point out that, although it may have been unintentional, Giant just made an awesome point about D&D combat. The druid just took three arrows to the chest and wasn't even hindered.

Wanderlust
2006-09-12, 06:37 PM
I'm anxious to see how they lay the smack down on Leeky, since he's obviously very powerful and very prepared for this encounter.

StickMan
2006-09-12, 07:47 PM
Kitty. Oh i love it.

jomac2k
2006-09-12, 08:17 PM
Haley's a rogue?

I always thought she was a ranger or some form of fighter, why do they need Belkar as a tracker then?

bosssmiley
2006-09-12, 08:20 PM
Flumphs now sound like Woody Allen. As if the poor things weren't put upon enough already. ;)

DraxtonSmitz
2006-09-12, 08:25 PM
Haley's a rogue?

I always thought she was a ranger or some form of fighter, why do they need Belkar as a tracker then?

I think because rangers tend to more of a tracker than rogues do.

jomac2k
2006-09-12, 08:28 PM
I think because rangers tend to more of a tracker than rogues do.

Oh right, and Belkar does the two weapon fighting. Nevermind I got the two of them screwed up. I just always figure the more violent type to be the rogues, oh well.

Varian7
2006-09-12, 08:53 PM
Poor V! Someone needs to save him/her, although Haley was trying too.

CommanderFalken
2006-09-12, 08:59 PM
Haley's a rogue?

EEhh??

I thought it was obvious that she was a rogue from the start!

Besides, if she's a rogue, what's that have to do with tracking? Survival (which has everything to do with tracking) is cross-class for rogues!

Great comic as ever!

Jades
2006-09-12, 09:18 PM

Hrm? I don't get it. Perhaps because Michell Pfeiffer and Matthew Broderick were never in a movie by the name LadyHawk. Just like Highlander 2. Doesn't exist. Sorry, just no. Nope. Never seen it. Never will, cause it doesn't exist.

Pvednes
2006-09-12, 09:23 PM
Hrm? I don't get it. Perhaps because Michell Pfeiffer and Matthew Broderick were never in a movie by the name LadyHawk. Just like Highlander 2. Doesn't exist. Sorry, just no. Nope. Never seen it. Never will, cause it doesn't exist.

Aw come on man, Ladyhawke is an awesome movie.

Tabiani
2006-09-12, 09:34 PM
You named your hawk "Kitty"?

As a former sailor (and fan of the comic!) who served aboard the USS Kitty Hawk (CV-63) (http://www.kittyhawk.navy.mil/) I just had to create a login to say:

Woohoo!, loved it!

TheEmerged
2006-09-12, 09:59 PM
Well, my previous dog was named Hawk...

Rambi
2006-09-12, 10:20 PM
Heh, sweet comic today gotta love the Flumphs coming back.

Lauren
2006-09-12, 10:42 PM
Kitty Hawk. *dies*

I love this view on Druid abilities. Huzzah for another great comic!

silvadel
2006-09-12, 11:35 PM
One other reason why V was using 3rd level spells as opposed to 7th level ones... 4 points easier on the roll to concentrate and not get bopped.

Adeptus
2006-09-13, 02:04 AM
Poor V :(

The spell casters in OotS tend to stand very close to melee threats, don't they?

Jades
2006-09-13, 09:26 AM
Aw come on man, Ladyhawke is an awesome movie.

I'm sure it would have been, if it was made. But I have seen no evidence that such a movie was created In 1985 or any other year.

TinSoldier
2006-09-13, 12:10 PM
One other reason why V was using 3rd level spells as opposed to 7th level ones... 4 points easier on the roll to concentrate and not get bopped.
Oh. I didn't realize that.

Certainly makes sense, but it didn't seem to work!

Aereshaa_the_2nd
2006-09-13, 05:23 PM
Kitty. Hah, bloody hah.

"I have special abilities more powerful than your entre class!"
Great comic.

Haarculaneaum
2006-09-14, 10:03 AM
About the concentration thing,
V ought to have 15 skill points in concentration, as s/he seems to be a combat & melee loving wizard. That's a con check of at least +15, assuming no skill focus or constitution bonus.

Haar.

Now, I know that I just posted a satirical "don't be a rules lawyer" but I'm more concerned with V being an effective wizard, as Arcane spellcasters are my favorite classes.

Lostboy
2006-09-14, 06:08 PM
I was late reading this one, so I'm posting my reaction after #347 has already one up. hehe.

I just had to say, the Kitty Hawk joke was awesome. Why? Because I read the comic 10 minutes before the pun hit me square between the eyes. I actually staggered.

(Kitty Hawk is the famed location of the Wright Brothers' first flight.)