PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Class Neriractor´s shadowdancer fix PEACH

neriractor
2016-12-22, 06:04 PM
I decided to make an adaptation of the shadowdancer, as I believe it is a class with great potential but too A) all over the place and B) conservative for the level you get it, any comments are appreciated. Fluff is mutable so I won´t be focusing too much on that. I drew a some abilities from the Shadowcaster so the Tome of Magic is required to use this fix.

shadowdancer

Prerequisites:
To become a shadowdancer, a character must fulfill all the following criteria.

Skills
Move Silently 10 ranks, Hide 10 ranks, Perform (dance) 5 ranks.

Feats
Combat Reflexes.

Abilities: shadowdancers benefit from a high dexterity in order to remain hidden, charisma is important for social interaction and casting their mysteries and some of their other abilities while a high intelligence provides the shadowdancer with enough skills to make use of their extensive skill list.
Alignment: any
Hit Die: d8
Class Skills
The shadowdancer's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Balance (Dex), Bluff (Cha), Decipher Script (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Disguise (Cha), Escape Artist (Dex), Hide (Dex), Jump (Str), Knowledge(Arcana) (Int), Knowledge(the planes) (Int), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Perform (Cha), Profession (Wis), Search (Int), Sleight of Hand (Dex), Spellcraft(Cha), Spot (Wis), Tumble (Dex), Use Magic Device(Cha) and Use Rope (Dex)
Skill Points per Level: 6+Int modifier

SHADOWDANCER

Level
Base Attack Bonus
Fort Save
Ref Save
Will Save
Special
Mysteries known

1st

+0

+0

+2

+0
shadow jump 20 ft, darkvision, fundamentals of shadow, truedancer

2nd

+1

+0

+3

+0
evasion, Hide in Plain Sight

3rd

+2

+1

+3

+1
shadow jump 40 ft, shadow of myself

4th

+3

+1

+4

+1
Uncanny Dodge, shadow vision, Shadow Illusion, consult the shades

5th

+3

+1

+4

+1
shadow jump 80 ft, mysteries(spell-like)

6th

+4

+2

+5

+2
improved darkvision, shade shank

7th

+5

+2

+5

+2
shadow jump 160 ft, dance of blades defied

8th

+6

+2

+6

+2
shadow conjuration, shifting shadow

9th

+6

+3

+6

+3
shadow jump 320 ft, mysteries(supernatural)

10th

+7

+3

+7

+3
greater shadow conjuration, shadow road, dark self

Class Features
All of the following are features of the shadowdancer prestige class.

Weapon and Armor Proficiency
Shadowdancers are proficient with the club, crossbow (hand, light, or heavy), dagger (any type), dart, mace, morningstar, quarterstaff, rapier, sap, shortbow (normal and composite), and short sword. Shadowdancers are proficient with light armor but not with shields.

True Dancer (Ex): At first level, A Shadowdancer adds both their dexterity modifier and charisma modifier to their Perform(Dance) checks (rather than just charisma). If one is playing with Perform(Dance) as a dexterity based skill, this instead allows them to add their charisma modifier to it as well.

Shadow Jump (Su)
At 1st level, a shadowdancer gains the ability to travel between shadows as if by means of a dimension door spell. The limitation is that the magical transport must begin and end in an area with at least some shadow. A shadowdancer can jump up to a total of 20 feet each day in this way; this may be a single jump of 20 feet, or two jumps of 10 feet each. Every two levels higher than 1st, the distance a shadowdancer can jump each day doubles (40 feet at 3rd, 80 feet at 5th, and 160 feet at 7th, 320 ft at 9th). This amount can be split among many jumps, but each one, no matter how small, counts as a 10-foot increment.

At 3rd level you can use shadow jump as a move action.

at 5th level you can take actions after using shadow jump.

at 9th level you can use shadow jump as a swift action. If you wish, you can still use it as a move action, as needed.

Fundamentals of shadow (Su)
thanks to your innate connection to shadows, you can master certain basic powers. These powers, known as fundamentals function as supernatural abilities usable three time per day when you gain your first level in the shadowdancer prestige class you gain two fundamentals. The save DC for any fundamental you know is equal to 10+your Cha modifier. The shadowdancer has a caster level equal twice its shadowdancer class level, at 9th level you can use your fundamentals at will.

Darkvision (Ex)
A shadowdancer´s time in the shadows gives it a measure of darkivision extending to 60 ft, darkvision is in black and white only but otherwise works like normal sight, if the shadowdancer already had darkvision he increases it by 30 ft.

Mysteries Known: you have the ability to cast a small number of mysteries. To cast a mystery a Shadowdancer must have a Charisma score of at least 10+the mystery level, so if you have a Charisma of 10 or lower, you cannot cast mysteries. High ability scores do not produce bonus Mysteries. savind throws against your mysteries have a DC of 10+ mystery level + your Charisma modifier. The shadowdancer has a caster level equal twice its shadowdancer class level.

As with the Shadowcaster class, you may not skip ahead a given path. your mysteries can only be of apprentice level and you cast them as arcane spells, you can use each mystery you know once per day, if you wish, you can pick a fundamental in place of one of your mysteries known, it follows the same rule as fundamentals.

At 5th level your mysteries become spell-like abilities and you can use them twice per day per mystery.

At 9th level your mysteries become supernatural abilities that you can use 3 times per day.

Evasion (Ex)
At 2nd level and higher, a shadowdancer can avoid even magical and unusual attacks with great agility. If she makes a successful Reflex saving throw against an attack that normally deals half damage on a successful save, she instead takes no damage. Evasion can be used only if the shadowdancer is wearing light armor or no armor. A helpless shadowdancer does not gain the benefit of evasion.

If the character already had evasion before becoming a shadowdancer, or acquires it afterwards, this ability instead grants improved evasion, as evasion, but taking no damage on a succesful save and half damage on failed save.

Hide in Plain Sight (Su)
A shadowdancer of 2nd level or higher can use the Hide skill even while being observed. As long as she is within 10 feet of some sort of shadow, a shadowdancer can hide herself from view in the open without anything to actually hide behind. She cannot, however, hide in her own shadow.

Shadow of Myself (Su)
At 3rd level, a shadowdancer can summon his shadow, an exceptional shadow elemental at its image. Unlike a normal shadow elemental, this shadow’s elemental alignment matches that of the shadowdancer, and it uses its masters ranks in hide and move silently when taking those checks. The summoned shadow elemental cannot be turned, rebuked, or commanded by any third party. This shadow elemental serves as a companion to the shadowdancer and can communicate intelligibly with the shadowdancer. The shadow elemental is the same size as the Shadowdancer, and regardless of size has a number of hit dice equal to the shadowdancer, using the stats for a medium shadow elemental adapted with size modifiers.

Due to the uncanny resemblance between the Shadow elemental and its master a person seeing both, or who is really familiar with the master can make a spot check with a DC of 20+ your Charisma modifier to tell that the shadow belongs to it if summoned. If your shadow is destroyed, you cannot summon it back for a week, and anybody seeing you can make a spot check equal to 10 + your shadowdancer level + your Cha modifier to notice you have no shadow. As a standard action you can dismiss your shadow, bringing it back to its due position, wich varies depending on the current light source. While dismissed your shadow cannot be harmed and recovers its hitpoints at a rate equal to its number of HD each day, you can summon it back as a full-round action.

Any beneficial mystery, utterance or spell applied to yourself can be shared with your Shadow as a non-action.

Consult the Shades (Su): At 4th level, a Shadowdancer may engage in an elaborate dance which summons the shadows of beings which once were, or perhaps may yet to be, and consults with them. This dance takes 1 minute to perform, and at the beginning the Shadowdancer must have a specific narrow topic in mind that they wish to gain information on. At the end the Shadowdancer makes a Perform(Dance) check, and they treat this as a check in any knowledge skill that would be applicable for the topic at hand. They may use this to effectively make Knowledge checks even if they are untrained in that check.

Shadow Illusion (Sp)
When a shadowdancer reaches 4rth level, she can create visual illusions. This ability’s effect is identical to that of the arcane spell silent image and may be employed a number of times per day equal to 1 + your charisma bonus.

At 7th level the effect becomes identical to that of minor image and you gain 1 use per day.

At 9th level the effect becomes identical to that of major image and you gain an additional use per day, becoming able to use the ability 3 + your charisma bonus times per ay

Uncanny Dodge (Ex)
Starting at 4th level, a shadowdancer retains her Dexterity bonus to AC (if any) regardless of being caught flat-footed or struck by an invisible attacker. (She still loses any Dexterity bonus to AC if immobilized.)

If a character gains uncanny dodge from a second class, the character automatically gains improved uncanny dodge (see below).

Shadow Vision
you gain shadow vision as a bonus feat, you do not need to meet the requirements for the feat in order to get it. The max range of the feat is equal to 1/4th the range of the of your shadow step ability.

improved darkvision (Su)

at 6th level the range of your regular darkvision increases by 60 ft and you can now see color with it, in addition, you can now see up to 60 ft trough magical darkness but in black and white only.

Shade Shank (Su)
at 6th level, if your shadow jump puts another creature within your reach (if using a melee weapon) or your first range increment (if using a ranged weapon), you can as a free action make one attack against them (limited to one attack each shadow jump), or two attacks split between your possible targets if you have the two weapon fighting or rapid shot feat (depending on your type of weapon).

Dance of Blades Defied (ex): At 7th level, when attacked, a Shadowdancer may as an immediate action make a Perform(Dance) check. If the check beats the attack roll then the attack misses. Essentially this allows them to use either their AC or their Perform(Dance) check, whichever is higher. This may be used up to their dexterity modifier times per encounter.

Shadow Conjuration (Sp)
thanks to your innate understanding of shadow, you can create partially real effects with shadow stuff, at 7th level you can cast shadow conjuration as a mystery, working exactly as the spell but with the same limitations and traits as your other misteries (uses per day, type of ability, etc)

Shifting Shadow (Su)

at 8th level your body is as dark as darkness at a moment´s notice, you gain a +5 bonus to hide and move silently. You can even hide from abilities such as lifesense, shadowvision, blindsight, scent, blindsense and tremorsense forcing an opposed check of hide/move silently and spot/listen as usual, but they gain a +5 bonus to detect you with those senses.

Greater Shadow Conjuration

a 10th level shadowdancer can replicate real effects in a more efficient, and real form. the shadowdancer gains the ability to cast greater Shadow conjuration as a mystery, working exactly as the spell but with the same limitations and traits as your other misteries (uses per day, type of ability, etc)

Dark Self (Su)
at 10th level your body is only partly where you are, the rest being replaced by shadow stuff, effects caused by a spell, spell-like ability, supernatural ability or special attack has a 20% chance to fail against you and you gain a 20% miss chance, this ability can be activated or de-activated as a free action during your turn and as an immediate action at any other time.

In addition you can now shadow jump into your shadow or end a shadow jump on it (be it dismissed or active) appearing on its square or in a square adyacent to it, if active any light conditions are irrelevant to your jump, if dismissed you can use it to jump as long as there is a light source (if there is none you can just jump into the darkness).

Shadow Road (Sp)

The shadow plane is as linked to your soul and mind as water is to your blood. Your body is the ultimate catalyst of shadow in this world, and the movements of the plane of shadows follow your thoughts and instinctively opens the way for where you need to be.

once a week you as a standard action you can create a rift trough a shadow, this rift opens a short hallway, roughly 50 ft in lenght and with whatever width you want that takes you to any shadow you wish, as long as you know where it will be formed, this ability functions as either plane shift or greater teleport with no distance limit (chosen at the time of casting), when used to reach a shadow you have seen the plane shift mode has no miss chance.

If you don´t know where the specific shadow you reach will be you teleport (or planeshift) with the original miss chance on planeshift, or using the miss chance of teleport (but with no distance limits), depending on the spell you chose, you appear in the closest shadow to the chosen destination after rolling the dice.

for ten minutes, anybody who is aware of the rift can cross it at their leisure but anybody that its found within a rift at the end of this time is caught within the plane of shadow, as the hallway disappears and those caught appear at random places (but within a mile of eachother), the shadowdancer can close the rift at any time and in any place as a full-round action, it also becomes instantaneously closed if the shadowdancer dies.

as the rift looks like a regular shadow from the outside, it takes an expert eye to even notice something off, a spot check is needed to figure out that something is wrong with the shadow and to identify the shadow as a rift to the plane of shadow, the DC of the spot check is equal to 20 + your Charisma modifier. A True Seeing spell reveals something to be wrong with the shadow but you still need to make a spot check to identify the shadow as a rift to the plane of shadow.

Any thoughts? I tried to bring its power more in line with what I think a 10 level prestige class that requires you to be at least 7th level to enter should be like. I thought of doubling the current shadow jump distance but I am not entirely sure if it would be too much, maybe adding a feat for it?

As said before, any content not found in core is in Tome of magic.

credit to JoshuaZ for the True Dancer, Dance of Blades Defied and Consult the shades abilities.

neriractor
2016-12-22, 06:21 PM
reserved in case I decide to make feats, Mysteries or anything else for the shadowdancer. You can now post freely.

Darth Ultron
2016-12-22, 10:08 PM
Any thoughts? I tried to bring its power more in line with what I think a 10 level prestige class that requires you to be at least 7th level to enter should be like. I thought of doubling the current shadow jump distance but I am not entirely sure if it would be too much, maybe adding a feat for it.

It seems like a lot for just a ''shadowdancer'', your really making a Full Class here....not a prestige class. This seems a lot more like a ''Shadow Lord Core Class'' then a ''sadowdancer''.

I know it's just ''called'' shadowdancer....but maybe make the abilities more to do with dance?

Shadow Jump...the ''dancing'' should do a lot more....it's the base idea of the class. Like being able to shadow jump around and attack people. Even more so at 10th level getting the ''whirl shadow attack''. And shadow jump should really get to ''swift action'' by 5th level. Maybe add shadow jumping out of others shadows or small shadows?

It's common with such classes....but creating shadows/darkness would seem to be a very needed ability.

neriractor
2016-12-23, 10:20 PM
thanks for replying, maybe you are right, what will you suggest to make the class feel more about shadow dancing? perhaps getting rid of shadow conjuration and greater shadow conjuration and instead making shadow jumps work as a swift action (or move or standard action if the user prefers, perhaps all in the same turn if they want) plus giving it some extra perks.

They can already get the ability to create darkness trough their Mysteries, and their shadow (the shadow elemental companion) also gets a similar ability, I could also ditch the Mysteries and try to give them some dancier abilities.

I get the fluff concerns with the spread of abilities I´m giving them but would you take the class in a regular game or is it too weak/strong? Both indentity of the class and playability are a concern here so I would also like some thoughts on this.

edit: also, I´m taking the elemental companion should become a more central part of the class if I decide to ditch the mysteries, after all, what´s shadowdancier that dancing with your shadow? any ideas on this would also be appreciated

neriractor
2017-01-01, 08:10 PM
any other opinions before I rewrite the class based around Darth Ulthron´s recomendations.

JoshuaZ
2017-01-01, 09:04 PM
any other opinions before I rewrite the class based around Darth Ulthron´s recomendations.

I like it as is. I do think their suggestion to add a few dance themed abilities would be good, but I wouldn't take anything out probably.

neriractor
2017-01-03, 06:20 PM
I like it as is. I do think their suggestion to add a few dance themed abilities would be good, but I wouldn't take anything out probably.

thanks, I´ll try to think up some dance themed abilities. input is aprpeciated as always :smallsmile:

JoshuaZ
2017-01-03, 07:55 PM
thanks, I´ll try to think up some dance themed abilities. input is aprpeciated as always :smallsmile:

Sure, here are some, but this may too be many. Pick which you like.

True Dancer (ex): At first level, A Shadowdancer adds both their dexterity modifier and charisma modifier to their Perform(Dance) checks (rather than just charisma). If one is playing with Perform(Dance) as a dexterity based skill, this instead allows them to add their charisma modifier to it as well.

Shadow Dance (su): At 2nd level, a Shadowdancer may take a full round action to use a mystery while dancing to channel the power of shadow into the mystery. If they do, the mystery's effective caster level and save DC (if any) is increased by 1.

Consult the Shades (su): At 4th level, a Shadowdancer may engage in an elaborate dance which summons the shadows of beings which once were, or perhaps may yet to be, and consults with them. This dance takes 1 minute to perform, and at the beginning the Shadowdancer must have a specific narrow topic in mind that they wish to gain information on. At the end the Shadowdancer makes a Perform(Dance) check, and they treat this as a check in any knowledge skill that would be applicable for the topic at hand. They may use this to effectively make Knowledge checks even if they are untrained in that check.

Dance of Blades Defied (ex): At 5th level, when attacked, a Shadowdancer may as an immediate action make a Perform(Dance) check. If the check beats the attack roll then the attack misses. Essentially this allows them to use either their AC or their Perform(Dance) check, whichever is higher. This may be used up to their dexterity modifier times daily (minimum 1).

neriractor
2017-01-09, 08:24 PM
thanks for the abilities, I feel like they add a lot to the class from a fluff and mechanic standpoint, aside from adding the abilities I also made Shade Shank come in a level earlier and removed uncanny dodge, as you already have enough mobility to make being flanked a really poor display of tactics (or too many enemies). In addition I gave you credit on the first post, so people who just read the class won´t miss your help in making it better :smallsmile:

any input is appreciated but I think the class is playable as it is, if anybody gives it a run I would like to know how it does.

If I come up with some really nice abilities or improvements upon some of them I may change the class, but is pretty unlikely.

SangoProduction
2017-01-12, 05:50 AM
"Then we shall fight in the shade!"
/em holds up a shield and shadowsteps.
------------
I also love the concept of an elite troupe of shadowdancers who hide in each other's shadow as the collapse upon an unexpecting city for conquering.

neriractor
2017-01-13, 09:41 PM
"Then we shall fight in the shade!"
/em holds up a shield and shadowsteps.
------------
I also love the concept of an elite troupe of shadowdancers who hide in each other's shadow as the collapse upon an unexpecting city for conquering.

that´s a pretty cool mental image, now I have to find a way to train a force of shadowdancers as my armies´ elites troops the next time I play the ruler of a kingdom :smallbiggrin:

SangoProduction
2017-01-14, 03:01 AM
Shifting Shadow(Su)

Has "+5 to X check", and "-5 to this check" in the same sentence. You should, in a separate sentence, say "You even hide from X senses, but they gain a +5 to detect you with those senses."

neriractor
2017-01-14, 05:48 PM
Shifting Shadow(Su)

Has "+5 to X check", and "-5 to this check" in the same sentence. You should, in a separate sentence, say "You even hide from X senses, but they gain a +5 to detect you with those senses."

fixed ten letters

edit: fixed some other typos, and made the shadow rise in HD faster.

Hd size changed from d6 to d8.