PDA

View Full Version : Sneak Attack vs. Skirmish

Human Paragon 3
2007-07-17, 09:39 AM
I was thinking about Skirmish damage just now, and it occured to me that Sneak has got to be way better. Although the initiative and AC bonuses that come along with Skirmish are nice, Sneak attack has the benefit of being attachable to full attacks. To get the skirmish damage you have to move 10 feet, which precludes you from making a full attack or two-weapon fighting.

There are probably feats and prestiege classes out there that make this irrelevant, but I don't know what those are, so it seems like Sneak is inherently superior.

Jimbob
2007-07-17, 09:44 AM
I have to agree, in the long run sneak attack is better, but its only downfall is you have to be flanking, denied DEX and not fighting undead, constructs or ooooooooz's.

One way I got around it once, was taking two weapon fighting and dual strike, which lets you make a off hand attack when you move more then 5ft, so you could use it with skirmish that way.

Anxe
2007-07-17, 09:45 AM
You can only apply Sneak Attack damage to one attack per turn. It's really not all that useful in full attacks

Human Paragon 3
2007-07-17, 09:47 AM
You can only apply Sneak Attack damage to one attack per turn. It's really not all that useful in full attacks

That's just not true. It says you get to apply the sneak damage WHENEVER your opponent would be denied DEX bonus to AC, not once per turn. If I am mistaken, I would love to know though- I'd be much obliged for a link or quote to the relevant ruling.

Overlard
2007-07-17, 09:48 AM
A common fallacy. You can apply sneak attack damage to every attack that qualifies for it in a round. So if you're invisible, you become visible after the first attack, and can no longer apply sneak attack afterwards. But if you've got improved invisibility and remain invisible, every attack qualifies for sneak attack. Similarly, if you're flanking, all your attacks are sneak attacks (weird abilities, undead & constructs aside of course)

edit: ninja'd!

Wraithy
2007-07-17, 09:58 AM
skirmish is alot more versatile, especially when combined with reach weapons and spring attack (or ranged with shot on the run). also if you do face off against the mother of all oozes, you still get the AC bonus, by replacing dodge with expeditious dodge (races of the wild), you can become un-hittable. skirmih is also better because although it does less damage you will get alot more chances to use it, most of your attacks will get this damage, as opposed to the limited oportunities you get to use sneak attack.
if you think about it, most of the time you attack someone denied their dex bonus, you have probably got to use a move action to get to them anyway.
but then again these are just "most of the time" or "sometimes" situations, however by choosing skirmish, these oportunities come up far more often.
you have an average attack bonus, the loss of secondary attacks is regrettable, but not unbearable.

Arbitrarity
2007-07-17, 10:08 AM
Press The Advantage and a few other things (pounce) make skirmish, if properly built, easy to get (rollerskates!).

NullAshton
2007-07-17, 10:51 AM
Scout/Dervish could possibly make it so that you can use skirmish damage on each attack in a full attack.

lord_khaine
2007-07-17, 10:55 AM
another option is improved manyshot, for those who follow the archery path.

Droodle
2007-07-17, 11:02 AM
No contest. With the right Feats (Greater Manyshot, Ranged Skirmisher, Improved Skirmish) you can apply 7d6 skirmish damage to every attack you make from within 60 feet or your target. Add in Swift Hunter (you are taking Ranger levels, right?) and you can also apply that damage to your favored enemies.....even if they are immune to criticals.