PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Help me balance these magic items.

Oramac
2016-12-28, 03:29 PM
So I'm putting together magic items for my players, and I want something a little more interesting than just "you find a +1 sword".

Let me know what you think! OP or underpowered, I want to hear it.

Also, I'm open to new names for this stuff as well.

Stunning Maul: On a critical hit with this Maul, the target must make a DC 15 Constitution saving throw. On a failed save, the target is stunned until the beginning of its next turn.

Holy Mace: [Requires ability to cast at least one healing spell] When you cast a healing spell while wielding this mace, roll a d4. On a roll of 4, the mace radiates 1d6 healing per spell level cast to all allies within 30 feet of you.

Shield of Shield: [attunement] This exquisite shield has 5 charges. As a reaction, the wielder can spend 1 charge to cast the Shield spell. The shield regains 1d4+1 charges each day at dawn. If the last charge is expended, roll a d20. On a 1, the shield loses this property and becomes a normal shield.

Throwing Shield: This round magical shield has a razor edge and is perfectly balanced. It has a thrown range of 20/60 feet, and deals 1d6 + strength slashing damage when used as a melee or ranged weapon. As a bonus action, the wielder can summon the shield back to their hand

Terrifying Axe: When you critically hit with this jagged axe, the target must make a DC 15 Wisdom saving throw or be frightened of you until the beginning of its next turn.

Greatsword of Vengeance: While wielding this Greatsword, you score a critical hit on a roll of 19 or 20. Also, when you score a critical hit with this Greatsword, you may make one additional attack as a bonus action.

Sword of Seeking: While wielding this sword, you know the location of all invisible creatures in a 30 foot radius around you.

Ring of the Last Word: While wearing this ring, your spells cannot be counterspelled.

Sword of Detection: During a short rest, choose a creature type. Until you choose a different creature type during another short rest, you have advantage on attack rolls, ability checks, and saving throws against that creature type.

Dimension Gem: [requires attunement] This gem is a portal to a small pocket dimension. It is capable of carrying a creature of up to large size or an item of up to 1000 pounds. When you speak the command word the creature or item is instantly pulled into the gem. An unwilling creature can make a DC 15 Strength saving throw to avoid being pulled in. While in the gem, the creature or item is immune to all damage and effects outside the gem, but if the gem is destroyed, so is the creature or item within.

Bow of Force: This magical Longbow has a bowstring made of fine silk. The act of pulling the bowstring forms an arrow out of pure energy. The bow does not suffer disadvantage due to long range, and the arrow deals force damage instead of piercing damage.

Sword of Persuasion: This sword glows with a faint natural light, illuminating a 5 foot area with dim light, and is considered magical for purposes of overcoming resistance and immunity. The bearer of this sword gains advantage on Charisma (Persuasion) checks.

Staff of the Hand: This magical staff has a faint purplish glow and is considered magical for purposes of overcoming resistance and immunity. Additionally, the bearer of the staff may cast the Mage Hand spell at will.

Dagger of the Thief: This magical dagger’s blade is razor thin yet very strong. Once per day, refreshing at dawn, this dagger can be used after a failed attempt to pick a lock to make a second attempt with advantage using the blade. Success on this attempt severs the lock, preventing it from being re-locked.

Shield of the Protector: This hardened shield has a mirror sheen, and impacts against it do not mar its surface. As an action, the bearer may reduce their maximum hit points by an amount of their choosing, and heal an ally for twice the amount reduced. You regain your full maximum hit points when you complete a short rest.

Boots of Supreme Accuracy: These magical boots are a shiny black color and the soles gain excellent traction. Non-magical difficult terrain does not slow your movement. Additionally, once per short rest when you roll a 1 on an attack, you may use the boots to magically shift your stance, causing the attack to hit.

Greatsword of Returning: This magical greatsword feels lighter than a normal greatsword, and has a shimmering gleam to its blade. The weapon has a throwing range of 20/60 feet, and the wielder can use a bonus action to summon the blade back to their hand.

Sword of the Damned: [any sword, requires attunement] This magical sword is covered in faint images of skulls and emits an eerie blue (dim) light for a radius of 5 feet. The edge of the blade shimmers with a faint yellowish hue, and the sword deals necrotic damage instead of its normal damage type.

The Cats
2016-12-29, 10:48 AM
Interposing shield is just a +1 shield

Oramac
2016-12-29, 11:24 AM
Interposing shield is just a +1 shield

Huh. Good point. I guess that makes it less exciting. Any ideas for making it more useful?

JNAProductions
2016-12-29, 11:32 AM
Huh. Good point. I guess that makes it less exciting. Any ideas for making it more useful?

Gain cover as a reaction?

Oramac
2016-12-29, 12:24 PM
I decided to just replace the Interposing Shield, since it basically just ended up being the Sentinel Feat in a shield.

Replaced with a Thrown Shield, a la Captain America.

Fishyninja
2016-12-29, 12:32 PM
Bow of force is an interesting concept however I could see people spamming this if there is no 'ammunition' limitation.

My suggestions would to give it charges that replenish daily, and if all the charges are used it is still magical in nature but requires normal ammunition

JNAProductions
2016-12-29, 12:33 PM
Bow of force is an interesting concept however I could see people spamming this if there is no 'ammunition' limitation.

My suggestions would to give it charges that replenish daily, and if all the charges are used it is still magical in nature but requires normal ammunition

Ammo is rarely an issue. I'd add a note saying you CAN give it charges, if your game tracks rations and ammo closely, but in most games, it's not an issue.

Marcloure
2016-12-29, 12:34 PM
I don't how really strong it is to double the Crit Chances, but as long as I am aware, only Champion and wielders of the artifact Sword of Kas has 19-20 as Crit range. The rarity of yours Sword of Vengeance must be somewhat high, so Champions still have their niche.

Fishyninja
2016-12-29, 12:37 PM
Ammo is rarely an issue. I'd add a note saying you CAN give it charges, if your game tracks rations and ammo closely, but in most games, it's not an issue.

Fair point, I have yet to ply a character that utilises ammo (but I am about to in a new campaign), and from speaking to my more experienced friends that seem to also have issues with running out of ammo. Maybe it's their DM's.

Armored Walrus
2016-12-29, 12:41 PM
Ring of the Last Word, Sword of Detection, and Protector Shield all seem overpowered. The Ring more so than the other two. I would make the ring either have charges, or make it once per day. The sword is nice, but being able to change creature type every short rest - potentially getting automatic advantage on every attack you make if you have some idea of your surroundings - seems a bit too powerful. Maybe change that to once per day as well. The Protector Shield I really like. But full HP gain on short rest seems like it will make your tank invulnerable. I would change it to "upon a long rest you recover all used hit dice rather than half."

Armored Walrus
2016-12-29, 12:43 PM
Fair point, I have yet to ply a character that utilises ammo (but I am about to in a new campaign), and from speaking to my more experienced friends that seem to also have issues with running out of ammo. Maybe it's their DM's.

I don't think unlimited ammo is unbalancing. It's more a quality of life upgrade. Although if your DM neither tracks ammo, nor gives enemies cover when allies are standing in front of them, then ranged attackers might start becoming a bit too powerful.

Fishyninja
2016-12-29, 12:45 PM
I don't think unlimited ammo is unbalancing. It's more a quality of life upgrade. Although if your DM neither tracks ammo, nor gives enemies cover when allies are standing in front of them, then ranged attackers might start becoming a bit too powerful.

Something to note, I beleive it will be the first time this person has DM'd but they are a seasoned player.

Oramac
2016-12-29, 01:21 PM
Ring of the Last Word, Sword of Detection, and Protector Shield all seem overpowered. The Ring more so than the other two. I would make the ring either have charges, or make it once per day. The sword is nice, but being able to change creature type every short rest - potentially getting automatic advantage on every attack you make if you have some idea of your surroundings - seems a bit too powerful. Maybe change that to once per day as well. The Protector Shield I really like. But full HP gain on short rest seems like it will make your tank invulnerable. I would change it to "upon a long rest you recover all used hit dice rather than half."

Thanks for the thoughts. I was kinda leaning that way about the Ring myself, but figured I'd post it anyway. The sword probably does need to change, too.

The shield, though, I think should be ok. It's not spending hit dice. It's lowering your max hit points to heal an ally.

Something to note, I beleive it will be the first time this person has DM'd but they are a seasoned player.

I'm not a brand new DM, but relatively speaking I an inexperienced as a DM. :)

Kurt Kurageous
2016-12-29, 02:01 PM
I don't worry too much about possibly OP magic items. When it happens, it happens. Then the player loses the item or their abilities outgrow it. It messes with CR, but as DM you can tune that in game pretty easily.

There are a lot of ways to part an OP item from a player without fiat. As a DM you can have the item grow a contrary personality, draw the attention of a deity, become the target of earthly princes/bandit kings, become a necessary sacrificial item for the greater good/evil/balance, etc.

Go with your gut. Worst case will be, "Remember the time when I gave you guys magic items that made your players abilities meaningless? yeah, good times..."

Want to end a campaign? Deck (Death) of Many Things is a solid finale. But never ever in the game itself.