PDA

View Full Version : Summer Wolf (Need Crunch Critiques)

Jaguira
2007-07-17, 10:41 PM
Size/Type: Large Magical Beast (Fire)
Hit Dice: 6d10+18 (51 hp)
Initiative: +5
Speed: 50 ft. (10 squares)
Armor Class: 16 (-1 size, +2 Dex, +5 natural), touch 10, flat-footed 14
Base Attack/Grapple: +6/+13
Attack: Bite +8 melee (1d8+6 plus 1d8 fire)
Full Attack: Bite +8 melee (1d8+6 plus 1d8 fire)
Space/Reach: 10 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Breath weapon, scorching bite, trip
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft., immunity to fire, low-light vision, scent, vulnerability to cold
Saves: Fort +7, Ref +7, Will +3
Abilities: Str 17, Dex 15, Con 16, Int 9, Wis 13, Cha 10
Skills: Hide -1*, Listen +6, Move Silently +7, Spot +6, Survival +1*
Feats: Alertness, Improved Initiative, Track
Environment: Deserts
Organization: Solitary, pair, or pack (2-4)
Challenge Rating: 5
Treasure: 1/10 coins; 50% goods; 50% items
Alignment: Usually neutral good
Advancement: 7-9 HD (Large); 10-18 HD (Huge)
Level Adjustment: +3 (cohort)
A Summer Wolf grows about 8 feet long and stands about 4 feet at the shoulder. It weighs about 425 pounds. Their fur is tawny and often rough to the touch. Although slightly smaller and leaner then their Wintery cousins, Summer Wolves are an equal match for them.

Summer Wolves can speak Giant and Common.

Combat
Summer Wolves typically hunt in packs. Their size, cunning, and formidable breath weapon allow them to hunt and kill creatures much larger than themselves. A pack usually circles an opponent, each wolf attacking in turn to exhaust it. If they’re in a hurry, Summer Wolves try to pin their foes.

Breath Weapon (Su)
15-foot cone, once every 1d4 rounds, damage 4d6 fire, Reflex DC 16 half. The save DC is Constitution-based.

Scorching Bite (Su)
A Summer Wolf deals an extra 1d8 points of fire damage every time it bites an opponent, as if its bite were a flame weapon.

Trip (Ex)
A Summer Wolf that hits with a bite attack can attempt to trip the opponent (+8 check modifier) as a free action without making a touch attack or provoking an attack of opportunity. If the attempt fails, the opponent cannot react to trip the Summer Wolf.

Skills
Summer Wolves have a +1 racial bonus on Listen, Move Silently, and Spot checks. Summer Wolves have a +2 racial bonus on Hide checks. *Their natural coloration grants them a +7 racial bonus on Hide checks in deserts. A Summer Wolf has a +4 racial bonus on Survival checks when tracking by scent.

*points to title* I'm not sure if I converted the Winter Wolf over to a desert version properly, in that it's still a CR5 and that in one-on-one combat each would have an equal chance. I tried to make the Summer Wolf slightly more Dexterity based and gave it better breath/fire bite damage, and slightly reduced its mele, grapple and Strength. Any advice is welcome!

Jaguira
2007-07-18, 10:38 AM
So... I'm going to take the "no news is good news" approach, I suppose :smallconfused:

Alfryd
2007-07-18, 10:43 AM
Yeah, I know the feeling. It seems more or less apropriate. I wouldn't get too fazed about it.

Jaguira
2007-07-18, 12:40 PM
Alright :3 Thanks!

Human Paragon 3
2007-07-18, 01:28 PM
Looks perfectly good to me. It would make a kick ass cohort, too.

DracoDei
2007-07-18, 02:21 PM
I hate to spoil the symetry but I don't think most deserts tend to favor large pack predators... FWIW.
Your balancing sounds PRETTY good a first glance... decreasing strength should automatically effect grappling and melee to-hit and damage... don't know about also pumping up the BW... will try to take a deeper look later (meaning actually looking up Winter wolf and comparing).

Zeta Kai
2007-07-18, 02:41 PM
I hate to spoil the symetry but I don't think most deserts tend to favor large pack predators... FWIW

Uh-oh... I hear a cat-girl dying.

Seriously though, if camels, elephants, meercats & dingos can exist in the real world, I don't see why a Summer Wolf can't join the ranks of the Bulette, the Athach, the Ettin, the Displacer Beast, the Blink Dog, & the freakin' Beholder.

Yakk
2007-07-18, 03:44 PM
Winter Wolf
Summer Lion

Matthew
2007-07-29, 11:39 PM
Nah, Cats and Dogs aren't opposites. I like Summer Wolf. Maybe there ought to be Spring and Autumn versions... maybe not.

Cryopyre
2007-07-30, 02:20 AM
Maybe not an Autumn wolf, but an Autumn something would be cool, along with spring of course

Zeta Kai
2007-07-30, 06:43 AM
I think "Spring Hound" & "Autumn Hound" are nice names.