PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Have there been any efforts to make Spontaneous Wizards?

Secret Wizard
2017-01-04, 10:48 PM
Just wondering.

Nifft
2017-01-04, 11:00 PM
In 5e, a Wizard prepares a number of spells, and then can cast any of those spells as many times as his and/or her spell-slots allow.

In 5e, a Wizard is basically spontaneous already.

So... what are you asking?

Secret Wizard
2017-01-04, 11:09 PM
Basically not worrying about scribing spells into my spellbook :P

Potato_Priest
2017-01-04, 11:21 PM
I believe the term you are looking for is Sorcerer.

To my knowledge, all wizards need to use a spellbook, although if they lose it they can keep the spell list they had prepared at the time of loss.

Flashy
2017-01-04, 11:46 PM
Take wizard. Replace Spellbook with Bard, Warlock, or Sorcerer spells known progression. Remove the 2nd level scribe spell ribbons. Done.

Spectre9000
2017-01-05, 02:40 PM
Keen Mind Feat.

Grod_The_Giant
2017-01-05, 03:16 PM
Basically not worrying about scribing spells into my spellbook :P
You could give them a spells known progression of some description and be fine, sure. Giving them Cleric-style "prepare any spell from your class list" is more problematic. I don't know that it's really broken-- Druids do the same thing and their list is nearly as good-- but it's a huge versatility hike and doesn't really fit with the Wizard themes, either.

Sicarius Victis
2017-01-07, 12:47 PM
Problem is, if you drop the spellbooks and give them a Sorcerer's spells-known progression, that just weakens them. You'd need to add something else to balance it out.

Grod_The_Giant
2017-01-07, 05:19 PM
Problem is, if you drop the spellbooks and give them a Sorcerer's spells-known progression, that just weakens them. You'd need to add something else to balance it out.
The Sorcerer progression is pretty pathetic; they at least are supposed to make up for it with metamagic. I'd base it off the Bard. Or maybe Sorcerer, but add two spells/spell level from your favored school.

Sicarius Victis
2017-01-07, 07:10 PM
The Sorcerer progression is pretty pathetic; they at least are supposed to make up for it with metamagic. I'd base it off the Bard. Or maybe Sorcerer, but add two spells/spell level from your favored school.

That was kind of my point. If you give them a Sorcerer's spells known, they'd just be inherently weaker than they were before. That last idea could be interesting, but often there aren't enough usable spells to actually do that.