PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next New Warlock Patron: The Morning Star [PEACH]

Glooji
2017-01-06, 04:19 AM
Tried my hand at making a star based Patron for the Warlock and want some help seeing if it’s balanced.

Patron: The Morning Star

Morning Star Expanded Spell List
1st: Bless, Guiding Bolt
2nd: Aid, Flaming Sphere
3rd: Daylight, Fireball
4th: Death Ward, Fire Shield
5th: Hallow, Flame Strike

Star Light, Star Bright
Starting at 1st level, as a bonus action you can empower your spells that deal Radiant damage with the brilliance of the stars, changing the damage they would normally deal to Radiant instead. You also learn the Light Cantrip and gain access to a an alternate form of it as well. When you cast the Light Cantrip you instead may instead cast Star Light.

Level: Cantrip
Casting time: 1 Action
Range: 60 feet
Components: V, M (a firefly or phosphorescent moss)
Duration: Instant

A point within 60 ft of your choosing explodes with light affecting all creatures within 10 ft. Those who are affected must make a Constitution saving throw or be blinded until the end of their next turn. Creatures who already blind are not affected by this.

Luminous Burst
Starting at 6th level, when you are attacked you can use your reaction to create a burst of light from your body imposing disadvantage on the attack roll. Additionally, the enemy that targeted you must roll a Constitution saving throw against your Warlock spell save DC or be blinded till the end of their next turn. Once you use this feature, you can not use until you finish a short or long rest.

Dawn's Aegis
Starting at 10th level, you gain resistance to Radiant damage and gain advantage on rolls against being blinded through magical means and from bright light sources. When another creature deals Radiant or you succeed on a roll to prevent blindness from a light source, as a reaction you may turn the light against them forcing the creature to roll with disadvantage or blinded until the end of their next turn.

Gate of the Sun
Starting at 14th level, as an action you can create a gateway to the Sun's power to consume a single creature. The gateway will let out enough energy to engulf them no matter their size and deals 5d8 Fire and 5d8 Radiant damage. After the gate closes it dissipates leaving it’s cosmic flames to burn away the enemy dealing 1d6 Radiant and 1d6 Fire damage at the start of their turns. As an action, they may attempt a Con saving throw against your Warlock spell save DC to stop this effect. Once you have used this feature you can't use it again until you finish a long rest.

Changes 1/6/17
-Altered Star Light, Star Bright so it no longer functions with cantrips but will still work with AoE spells.
-Added Once per short/long rest to Solar Flare that I forgot to add in.
-Removed the lower THP from Eldritch Blast since THP don't stack. (Really should have looked that one up prior to making this)
Changes 1/7/17
-Star Light, Star Bright consumes a Bonus Action to alter damage to Radiant and Blind is at will when Radiant damage is dealt.
-Personal/Thoughts Concerns removed from features that I think are mostly okay now.
-Altered the Blind effect to be a cantrip instead
-Heavy spell list modification
Change 1/9/17
-Renamed Patron to fit more with the abilities
-Renamed abilities
-Tweaked spell list
-Finally fixed what was Radiant Fortification now named Dawn's Aegis

clash
2017-01-06, 08:49 AM
Looking at each ability individually:

Star Light, Star Bright:
This should either be reworded to "when you hit a creature with a spell attack...", or "when you deal damage with a spell..." or "when a creature fails there save against a spell..." Personally I would limit it to spells with attack rolls and limit it to spells of 1st level or higher to avoid cantrip blinding then no limit is required. Also this shouldnt do anything special for blade pact, considering you don't get blade pact boon for another 2 levels and it shouldn't care which boon you choose.

Solar Flare:
Limit to 1/short rest remove the save.

Radiant Fortification:
Your concern with this one is actually moot because temp hp doesnt stack so receiving your cha modifier 4 times is still just your cha modifier. That being said getting 5 temp hp every turn without an action seems a little op in itself. That being said it is limited to when you deal damage and it takes a bonus action to turn spells radiant so I think it is fine.

Star Generation:
This one is pretty good. I would add a save for half damage and no lingering damage and make it an action to attempt the save to end the lingering damage. That way it effectively removes the enemy if they want the damage to stop or tit will keep damaging them.

Overall it seems pretty good

Glooji
2017-01-06, 08:31 PM
Thanks for the advice! Made some changes to the subclass and altered the Thoughts/Concerns accordingly.

Lawful Good
2017-01-07, 12:16 AM
I really like this patron, and will definitely use this.

A quick suggestion:

-Changing damage to radiant is thematic, but at-will seems a bit much. Coupled with 5 thp per cast, I would probably tone this down. Although, to be fair, the Fiend grants thp on a kill, every kill, and warlocks dont have many slots to deal radiant, so it might be balanced. Im not entirely sure, but something feels slightly off. Maybe combine the two features? When you use your bonus action, it changes the type to radiant and blinds? You could then remove the no cantrips clause. That way, twice a rest, you can change a spell to radiant and blind them.

Also, minor thing, but radiant fortification isnt really working. The name, I mean. Maybe something more starry, I guess?

Glooji
2017-01-07, 07:33 PM
I really like this patron, and will definitely use this.

A quick suggestion:

-Changing damage to radiant is thematic, but at-will seems a bit much. Coupled with 5 thp per cast, I would probably tone this down. Although, to be fair, the Fiend grants thp on a kill, every kill, and warlocks dont have many slots to deal radiant, so it might be balanced. Im not entirely sure, but something feels slightly off. Maybe combine the two features? When you use your bonus action, it changes the type to radiant and blinds? You could then remove the no cantrips clause. That way, twice a rest, you can change a spell to radiant and blind them.

Also, minor thing, but radiant fortification isnt really working. The name, I mean. Maybe something more starry, I guess?

Yeah, the 5 THP per cast is a bit strong. Thinking of changing so that you heal equal to your Cha mod once per turn when you deal Radiant damage or just something else entirely (maybe allow you to change what resistance you have per short/long rest like the Fiend but from a small list?). Also altered Star Light, Star Bright so it takes a Bonus Action to alter the damage type and the Blind becomes the at will affect. Not sure if that changes it up enough that it'd be okay for the Blind effect to work with Cantrips though. And about the name might change it might not really depends if I can think of something better.

Amnoriath
2017-01-07, 07:48 PM
While you have improved its balance, overall it feels really bland and battle oriented even the spells don't help in this regard. Lets look at the Fiend patron which has a similar set of spells except it has Command, Blindness/Deafness, Stinking Cloud, and Hallow to diversify its set of spells. It has 2 tank-like abilities and something to increase their luck in rolls as well as a really good/easy to use offensive ability at the end. While I am not saying you should copy the set up the point is the developers considered all of what a fiend might bestow to its scion in every respect of the game. What I would suggest is for you to make your flavor so that you can help guide your sub-class. I would suggest something to extent of light/vision, planar knowledge/travel, along with some of what you have here.

Glooji
2017-01-07, 11:39 PM
While you have improved its balance, overall it feels really bland and battle oriented even the spells don't help in this regard. Lets look at the Fiend patron which has a similar set of spells except it has Command, Blindness/Deafness, Stinking Cloud, and Hallow to diversify its set of spells. It has 2 tank-like abilities and something to increase their luck in rolls as well as a really good/easy to use offensive ability at the end. While I am not saying you should copy the set up the point is the developers considered all of what a fiend might bestow to its scion in every respect of the game. What I would suggest is for you to make your flavor so that you can help guide your sub-class. I would suggest something to extent of light/vision, planar knowledge/travel, along with some of what you have here.

Thanks, for reminding me about the flavor/fluff of the subclass it helped with changing some stuff. And yeah it was a too battle oriented and really limited the things this subclass could do. Changed some stuff to make more sense with the idea of the subclass flavor wise; just haven't put up the fluff due to wanting to make it at least decent/having a friend proof read it. Will probably add the fluff in a day or two.

Amnoriath
2017-01-08, 06:47 PM
Thanks, for reminding me about the flavor/fluff of the subclass it helped with changing some stuff. And yeah it was a too battle oriented and really limited the things this subclass could do. Changed some stuff to make more sense with the idea of the subclass flavor wise; just haven't put up the fluff due to wanting to make it at least decent/having a friend proof read it. Will probably add the fluff in a day or two.

The spell list is better, not my personal choices as I don't see this as a leader or support when I think of the Star Guardian nor through your sub-class features. Personally I would stay away from stealing half-caster's top unique spells it has since you get them 8 levels earlier. One of the reasons the Bard in 5e is slightly cheesy. If anything tell us what is your idea and examples of the Star Guardian here so we can help you better.