PDA

View Full Version : Player Help [Post-Apo] So I drove our party's pick-up over a slaver and now we are captured...

Spore
2017-01-06, 11:41 AM
my character tried to kill a known slaver named Garo by driving over him with a pick up truck and due to a few uncertain rules for collision and character health, the guy survived the impact heavily injured and made the vehicle immovable. A fire fight ensued in which we were outnumbered and caught by the slavers. They have some kind of Jabba the Hutt kind of merchant as well as this beast of a chief slaver along with 14 armed guards.

For the sake of continuity I try to accept the fact that a bodybuilder in a Kevlar West had magical truck stopping powers.

Our group is unharmed, except me who Garo beat half to death. Our stealthy guy fled on his motorbike. The rumors say Garo tortures his victims until they die, and he is not happy with me almost killing him. So this might give me a few days at best. I will probably loose a few limbs, and I like my limbs. My character is a mechanic and relatively useless in combat esp. now that I get penalties for being half-dead (brain trauma and some broken bones). We cut before I regain consciousness - likely a few hours after being carried towards the slave trails destination, a city where slave trade is hand-waived.

Our group contains a bulky warrior who could hold his own against Garo in a fair fight. The mercenary hired to protect me (PC) and a courtesan who is basically our party face. Our stealthy dude is also the best one with firearms (but him already having a hook instead of a left arm and an SMG instead of any sniper weapon could make a stealthy approach hard). We have to get our truck back or else the courtesan is dead (she is infected with a virus that requires regular injections and her boss will not be pleased with us loosing his cargo). We also protect an NPC healer who can use some kind of nanite technology to heal almost any injury (maybe even the disease) but I hate to rely on Deus Ex Machina. Also we have an NPC super soldier (no super human powers but well trained) who was frozen too.

My prediction is that we will stop for the night, and the group will be held with the other slaves while I will be personally tortured by Garo. And first I will want to convince him not sawing anything off of my body since this decreases my value as a mechanic, with my poor social skills most likely resulting in sawed off leg(s). If this doesnt kill me, I need a plan, and a damn good one at that.

Segev
2017-01-06, 11:56 AM
Okay. First question: is Garo also severely injured with debilitating damage, like you are? If so, what debilitations can you exploit when he's personally torturing you?

When you wake up, try to take in your surroundings. Identify gear as best you can. You can't bluff if your socials are as bad as you say they are, but you can truthfully outline all the ways any gear you see can be used by his men against Garo. Do what you can to make it so that, if he's going to torture you, he's going to want to do it privately.

Alternatively, look for opportunity to make yourself IMMEDIATELY useful. Spot something that isn't working, and tell the nearest guard how you'd fix it. That should buy you time before you get TOO permanently damaged. You may even be able to swing some tools and gadgetry to help your eventual escape.

A lot of this is going to depend on your friends. If you trust them, trying to keep as much attention on yourself as possible while keeping your limbs attached may afford them opportunities. If you can, rig some of the bad guys' gear to explode at an opportune moment.

Over all, good luck!

Spore
2017-01-06, 12:06 PM
Okay. First question: is Garo also severely injured with debilitating damage, like you are? If so, what debilitations can you exploit when he's personally torturing you?

Ever so slightly. Ruleswise, it is a penalty on all checks, but roleplaywise I could hurt this broken ribs or stick a knife in his gunwounds. A slight problem is just that he has what is considered the system's equivalent of natural armor and armor is damage reduction in this game. So weak knife thrusts or small bludgeons are ineffective and will provoke a retaliation. Just a few numbers to show you the futility of open melee.

He is 7 Trauma Points away from death. I am 3 Trauma points away from death. If I hit him with a Knife, I do 3 - 2 = 1 damage. If he hits me with his fist, he does 3 damage. His knife would do 4.

When you wake up, try to take in your surroundings. Identify gear as best you can. You can't bluff if your socials are as bad as you say they are, but you can truthfully outline all the ways any gear you see can be used by his men against Garo. Do what you can to make it so that, if he's going to torture you, he's going to want to do it privately.

Point is, the torture is used to keep the other slaves (and possibly the guards) in line. My DM slipped something last session: "Maybe you even get to learn why his guards fight to the death for him rather than fleeing at critical injury." because we killed only two and injured a third lethally with him not giving up the fight.

Alternatively, look for opportunity to make yourself IMMEDIATELY useful. Spot something that isn't working, and tell the nearest guard how you'd fix it. That should buy you time before you get TOO permanently damaged. You may even be able to swing some tools and gadgetry to help your eventual escape.

I think my biggest win would be to make the truck useable again. We have fuel, and I as an player have a knack for techno-babbling my way to repair it without actually having to use replacement parts. And my DM was a mechanic himself. :D

A lot of this is going to depend on your friends. If you trust them, trying to keep as much attention on yourself as possible while keeping your limbs attached may afford them opportunities. If you can, rig some of the bad guys' gear to explode at an opportune moment.

Over all, good luck!

I trust them. However one of them has announced that if we survive this whole thing, we will have a stern talking. But I prefer stern talking to dying anyday. I should maybe watch a few episodes of MacGyver in preparation.

Segev
2017-01-06, 12:18 PM
I wasn't looking at his damage for combat utility; you indicated your brain trauma et al made your skills even worse. I was wondering if he's in as bad shape, which might make it easier to manipulate or fool him. Sounds like "no."

You're not a social dude, so trying to play into his guards' reason for serving him as being foolish when they can all gang up on him with you is likely not to work, sadly. Still, look for opportunities to get the guards to like you, to make it Garo's fault they got hurt and killed, and make them less fearful and more irate if you get hurt. Hard to do; don't count on it. Just...look for chances.

To that end, I was actually suggesting making yourself useful to Garo and his men with your mechanic skills. Not to your party. Maybe repairing your truck for Garo's use is a way to do it. (You need to anyway to steal it back, right?) But I was thinking if there are devices of his men's that need work, you could offer to do it. Play up your mechanic's fervor for his work, and maybe offer to do any routine maintenance tasks they might have but not like. They probably won't trust you with their weapons, but even if they don't, being useful can keep you alive. And whole, since if you manage to be useful enough, his men might be upset at Garo damaging your ability to make their lives easier.

Spore
2017-01-06, 12:37 PM
My character is a teen. I plan - from a narrative perspective - to go the "I am done with cowering before any bigger threat" route with him. This will NOT slide well when my DM wants to see rolls. This will however work when my DM reacts to me naturally roleplaying. My entire plan will - ideally - be based around the idea that if a weak child can stand up to Garo, so can the united caravan guard.

Your ideas work perfectly with this plan. And if I can get some rest, my character will even get some much needed breathing room in order to get some slaps for being not completely compliant.

I wasn't looking at his damage for combat utility; you indicated your brain trauma et al made your skills even worse. I was wondering if he's in as bad shape, which might make it easier to manipulate or fool him. Sounds like "no."

I am honestly not sure. Maybe I can get some intel on these via my Medicine checks which are rather good. He was patched up considerably after the fight. But our DM is going for semi realistical injuries as indicated by our crippled stealth guy and my halfed movement from the other time my character broke his leg.

Spore
2017-01-08, 11:23 PM
Update: I lived and only lost my left eye. They did unspeakable things to an NPC and the whole experience shall change my roleplaying perspective completely since my character in question _WAS_ a relatively innocent and sheltered kid.

Segev
2017-01-09, 01:12 AM
Did you manage to kill the bad guy during your escape, or was the escape by just the skin of your teeth, such that you were lucky to get out at all?