PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Homebrew Barbarian Options, take 2 (PEACH)

Arkhios
2017-01-09, 03:06 AM
As the previous post has run its course and since I made some big changes to the homebrewed options I decided to make a new post, fresh from outdated ramblings.

So, a long time ago, I posted (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?467720-Totem-Warrior-variant-features-Dragon-Totem-and-a-primal-path-Ragechemist) a few Barbarian options, that might be of interest to those who...
...don't like the obviously magical abilities of Totem Warrior.
...wanted something a little more special from the totems (Dragons, anyone!?).
...would like to play a raging alchemist-type character.

Here's the link (http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/BkrwI-pTrx) to the homebrewery document by me!

As always, PEACH away.

Let me know what you think and feel free to criticize, but please, be gentle. I'm just another wannabe game designer who spends probably a little too much of his (spare) time for homebrewing! :smalltongue:

JNAProductions
2017-01-09, 10:24 AM
War Paints is WAY TOO POWERFUL. Expertise in up to two skills, and free advantage on those two? Nope! (The extra advantages later is just gravy.)

The breath weapon is also far too powerful. Frightened is a damn potent condition, and you can inflict at-will, with no way to avoid it.

Aspect of the Dragon seems fine.

As does Draconic Attunement.

Improved Tolerance might be a bit much-that's 7 uses every short rest at level 20.

Arkhios
2017-01-09, 02:36 PM
War Paints is WAY TOO POWERFUL. Expertise in up to two skills, and free advantage on those two? Nope! (The extra advantages later is just gravy.)
Haha, yeah, I figured it might be. I just couldn't decide which one, advantage or expertise, I should give it. Which one would you? Or do you have a better suggestion as to how fix it? I hope that at least the fluff is fine :smalltongue:

The breath weapon is also far too powerful. Frightened is a damn potent condition, and you can inflict at-will, with no way to avoid it.
Hmm, at-will? Maybe at 20th level, when you manage to recharge it? Otherwise it says you can use it as often as you can start rage. Not once per turn. Though, now I came to realize that you probably meant the one round frightened on a fail? I guess that's a bit too much, indeed.

Aspect of the Dragon seems fine.

As does Draconic Attunement.
Glad it's not all bad, I guess...

Improved Tolerance might be a bit much-that's 7 uses every short rest at level 20.
Is it, really? It's a 20th level feature, and a Battle Master can use their maneuvers 4 times per rest at first from 3rd level pronto, then 5 times per rest at 7th level, and 6 times per rest at 15th level. With the feat, even a Battle Master can reach to 7 times per rest.

Just my thoughts on the feedback (which I very much appreciate, don't get me wrong)

JNAProductions
2017-01-09, 03:05 PM
Ah, I missed the line limiting your max uses of Breath. I still think it's too powerful, but not nearly as bad as before.

And the issue is, a Battlemaster Maneuver is a status effect and a little extra damage. Your Crude Concoctions are high-level spells.

Arkhios
2017-01-09, 03:15 PM
Fair enough, I guess it could be toned down a bit. What if you could use crude concoctions only once per long rest? Would that be too weak then? Or ok?

JNAProductions
2017-01-09, 03:20 PM
Fair enough, I guess it could be toned down a bit. What if you could use crude concoctions only once per long rest? Would that be too weak then? Or ok?

Perhaps make it so no given option can be used more than once per long rest?

Arkhios
2017-01-09, 03:22 PM
Perhaps make it so no given option can be used more than once per long rest?

I guess that could work, yeah.

What comes to the totemic dragon breath. I kinda wanted the dragon totem to cover all dragons at once, instead of each dragon color individually. I thought to myself, "what is it that all dragons have in common, and I realized that all dragons:
a) have a breath weapon of sorts
b) are frightening
c) have wings
d) can survive in harsh conditions

so, I figured I'd combine breath weapon and being frightening, but I guess that was too much. I would've used the "shaken" condition from previous editions, but that doesn't exist anymore as far as I know. What would you suggest as a weaker form of fear?

Also, would it be bad if dragon totem gave you wings of some sort? If not a flight speed, would you allow some sort of slow fall with those spirit wings I played around with?

JNAProductions
2017-01-09, 03:25 PM
Flight at higher levels would be fine.

Perhaps have it have a Bane-like effect? -1d4 isn't as bad as disadvantage.

Arkhios
2017-01-09, 03:29 PM
Flight at higher levels would be fine.

Perhaps have it have a Bane-like effect? -1d4 isn't as bad as disadvantage.

Oh, that's an option I hadn't considered! Yes, that would work nicely.

What of the level for flight? Would at-will flight be fine as the 10th level totem feature?

JNAProductions
2017-01-09, 03:31 PM
Oh, that's an option I hadn't considered! Yes, that would work nicely.

What of the level for flight? Would at-will flight be fine as the 10th level totem feature?

10th is probably too soon. I'd say 14th at the earliest.

Arkhios
2017-01-09, 03:51 PM
10th is probably too soon. I'd say 14th at the earliest.

There's a slight problem then. Totem features are gained at levels 3, 6, and 10, while the features mutual to all totem warriors are at levels 3 and 14.

Unless... Would it be ok, if the aspect of the dragon's "wings" would gradually improve from falling damage resistance to wings that you could fly with at 14th level?

JNAProductions
2017-01-09, 03:52 PM
That'd be fine, methinks. Maybe give full flight while raging only by level 10.

Arkhios
2017-01-10, 06:44 AM
I've made the changes previously discussed:

Painted Warrior:
I removed the "expertise" altogether; I realized my initial intention was that a Totem Warrior would have a knack on these skills without actually being proficient - or talented, as I believe few barbarians have a high ability score in either wisdom or charisma. At least with point-buy.

Dragon Totem:
Totemic Breath Weapon bestows a bane-like effect on those who fail their saves, and those who succeed, only take half damage and no "bane".
Aspect of the Dragon's spirit wings now gradually improve from granting falling damage resistance, to rage-only flight at 10th, to at-will flight at 14th.

Ragechemist:
Improved Tolerance now allows each given option for Crude Concoction to be used once per long rest.

Please, have a look if they look fine now, or if something needs to be moved up or down in regards to level.

PS. I decided I could take a new direction with the Optional Rules regarding Totems. Instead of tying the additional benefits to dragon totem alone, why not make them universal. This would mean that the Improved Breath Weapon and Dreadful Aura would have to go, but to be honest, they felt a bit too complicated anyway.

JNAProductions
2017-01-10, 12:15 PM
Permanent advantage is still much too good. Imagine a Barbarian 3/Rogue 1, with Expertise AND Advantage on all Persuasion. Or hell, even just a Barbarian with a decent Charisma score and proficiency in it.

Rest looks good.

Llama513
2017-01-10, 02:28 PM
For war paint what you could do is have it add their strength score to intimidation, I wouldn't bother with persuasion personally, as I feel it doesn't mesh well with the tattoos which are warriors marks and designed for intimidation. If you did that what I would do is have it be add strength to intimidation, and then possibly later give the advantage while raging or something like that

I think that the Dragon totem and ragechemist look awesome, and feel unique, and primal which is perfect

Arkhios
2017-01-10, 02:37 PM
Well, then. What would you suggest? Would a half-proficiency to non-proficient checks with the skills mentioned be alright? Or should I just drop the skills entirely, and instead try to come up with something else?

Llama513
2017-01-10, 02:42 PM
I worded that weird, what my suggestion was for was to replace the advantage on intimidation and persuasion, I think that the rest of the abilities are fine, but for the initial bonus i would go with adding your strength modifier to intimidation, and not worry about persuasion as war paint doesn't really scream persuasion

Arkhios
2017-01-11, 08:24 AM
I worded that weird, what my suggestion was for was to replace the advantage on intimidation and persuasion, I think that the rest of the abilities are fine, but for the initial bonus i would go with adding your strength modifier to intimidation, and not worry about persuasion as war paint doesn't really scream persuasion

Noted, I guess I got carried away on that. I agree it should probably apply only on intimidation.

I'm not sure if it's wise to let you add Strength on top of Charisma with Intimidation. With a decent str/cha (16) a barbarian 3/rogue 1 could get expertise + 6 in the check, which is still quite steep, although arguably not as much as expertise + advantage.

And what about the situation when you (in theory) justify your GM to let you use strength instead of charisma for Intimidation, and you had Str 18, that'd be even worse. (let's again assume bbn 3/rog 1 with expertise; that'd be +12 at char level 4)

A completely new idea came to me:

War Paints:
While unarmored and not wielding a shield, you gain +1 bonus to AC (due to fluff text here).

Llama513
2017-01-11, 10:52 AM
That works, it occurs to me that you could stop it from stacking with rogue by giving them expertise in intimidation if you really want the intimidation skill, but I also get that you don't want them to feel like they are properly trained in the skill, so I think that the +1 works, possibly having it scale as you get to higher levels

Arkhios
2017-01-11, 03:16 PM
Ok, I think I'm satisfied with Painted Totem Warrior:

War Paint
This replaces Spirit Seeker
At 3rd level, you learn to decorate your body with images of — or related to your chosen Totems.
While the War Paints persist and you're not wearing armor and not wielding a shield, your Armor Class is increased by 1. If you are completely submerged in water, the paint is washed away, and you lose the benefit.
The paint also wears off over time, and so you must spend 1 hour to paint the images in order to gain the benefit. This is considered a light activity on a short rest.

Ritual Tattoo
This replaces Spirit Walker
At 10th level, you learn how to make your War Paint as a Ritual Tattoo, making the images and the benefits they bestow permanent.
In addition, you also gain advantage on all Intelligence (Nature) checks.

What do you think of it?

JNAProductions
2017-01-11, 03:30 PM
Ok, I think I'm satisfied with Painted Totem Warrior:

War Paint
This replaces Spirit Seeker
At 3rd level, you learn to decorate your body with images of — or related to your chosen Totems.
While the War Paints persist and you're not wearing armor and not wielding a shield, your Armor Class is increased by 1. If you are completely submerged in water, the paint is washed away, and you lose the benefit.
The paint also wears off over time, and so you must spend 1 hour to paint the images in order to gain the benefit. This is considered a light activity on a short rest.

Ritual Tattoo
This replaces Spirit Walker
At 10th level, you learn how to make your War Paint as a Ritual Tattoo, making the images and the benefits they bestow permanent.
In addition, you also gain advantage on all Intelligence (Nature) checks.

What do you think of it?

How long do War Paints last? You don't specify.

Arkhios
2017-01-11, 03:38 PM
How long do War Paints last? You don't specify.

Oops, forgot to change that line:

The paint lasts for a number of hours equal to half your proficiency bonus (rounded up) after which you must spend 1 hour to paint them again. This is considered light activity that you can do during a short rest.

JNAProductions
2017-01-11, 03:40 PM
Oops, forgot to change that line:

The paint lasts for a number of hours equal to half your proficiency bonus (rounded up) after which you must spend 1 hour to paint them again. This is considered light activity that you can do during a short rest.

Hrm. Honestly, I think it'd be okay lasting your whole proficiency modifier.

Steel Mirror
2017-01-11, 03:45 PM
Hmm, I think for me personally, replacing the third level ribbon for the Totem Warriors with a buff to Great Weapon Fighters (who IME don't need the buff) seems a bit powerful. The concept is really cool, though. The replacement for Spirit Walker is only troubling in that it makes the earlier combat bonus permanent, otherwise I like it.

But I'm a late comer on this conversation, so if you've moved past that part of the decision making process, I'm sorry for bringing it up!

Arkhios
2017-01-11, 03:58 PM
Hrm. Honestly, I think it'd be okay lasting your whole proficiency modifier.

Full proficiency it is then! I wasn't sure if it would be too much, but I guess you're right.

Hmm, I think for me personally, replacing the third level ribbon for the Totem Warriors with a buff to Great Weapon Fighters (who IME don't need the buff) seems a bit powerful. The concept is really cool, though. The replacement for Spirit Walker is only troubling in that it makes the earlier combat bonus permanent, otherwise I like it.

But I'm a late comer on this conversation, so if you've moved past that part of the decision making process, I'm sorry for bringing it up!

Oh, it's alright. I came to change the 10th level feature because now that the war paints last for hours equal to you proficiency bonus, they last long enough for it to remain temporary through the whole career. Now, you only gain advantage with nature checks starting from 10th level.

Sad Tyrant
2017-01-13, 02:39 PM
There's a slight problem then. Totem features are gained at levels 3, 6, and 10, while the features mutual to all totem warriors are at levels 3 and 14.

Unless... Would it be ok, if the aspect of the dragon's "wings" would gradually improve from falling damage resistance to wings that you could fly with at 14th level?

That's actually incorrect, they gain the 3rd Totem ability at 14th level, 10th level is Spirit Walker.

Arkhios
2017-01-13, 04:38 PM
That's actually incorrect, they gain the 3rd Totem ability at 14th level, 10th level is Spirit Walker.

Oops, you're right, my bad!

PotatoGolem
2017-01-17, 03:09 PM
Dragon Totem's wings are way, way too much. The 6th level feature is normally exploration focused and mostly a ribbon. Giving them flight, even in stages, is so much more powerful than the other options that the only reason the others would ever see play is in a campaign guaranteed to not hit 10th level. Also, it's flat-out a better version of eagle totem at 14. Eagle gets limited flight (super jumping), while dragon gets actual flight as part of the 6th level ability and can pick another 14th level ability. Otherwise cool and flavorful stuff!

Arkhios
2017-01-18, 12:26 AM
Dragon Totem's wings are way, way too much. The 6th level feature is normally exploration focused and mostly a ribbon. Giving them flight, even in stages, is so much more powerful than the other options that the only reason the others would ever see play is in a campaign guaranteed to not hit 10th level. Also, it's flat-out a better version of eagle totem at 14. Eagle gets limited flight (super jumping), while dragon gets actual flight as part of the 6th level ability and can pick another 14th level ability. Otherwise cool and flavorful stuff!

I must say, by the time I wrote that up, I had forgotten eagle totem altogether. I'll change that back to no-wings (except for the falling damage resistance due to the 6th level feature, if that's still alright)

Moreover, I need to fix the levels of those totem features anyway. I have no idea when I had the brain-fart that the 3rd totem feature would come at 10th level, while it does indeed come at 14th.

Arkhios
2017-01-19, 06:39 AM
Fixed the Dragon Totem path and added a few suggestions for alternative totem paths in the same vein as seen in Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide. (Though the format isn't same.)

In addition, I tried to make Ragechemist feel less dull to read since I've been unable to find a fitting picture for the page.