PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next 5e feat for my 'Diehard' players

Gr7mm Bobb
2017-01-09, 11:06 AM
In the middle of a personal homebrew feat overhaul in my group, wanting this one to get through the grinder of the playground to get some quality assurance.

Grit
Prerequisite: Constitution or Wisdom 13

Increase your Constitution or Wisdom score by 1, to a maximum of 20.
You have advantage on saving throws made to resist or remove Fear and Madness effects.
While you are at or below 1/2 of your original maximum hit points you add ½ of your proficiency bonus (rounded down) to all of your saving throws.
When you are reduced to 0 hit points and not killed outright, you may choose to immediately expend any number of available recovery hit die. Roll each die to be used, add your Constitution modifier for each hit die expended. You gain temporary hit points equal to the result after damage is dealt. These temporary hit points last for one minute. You must finish a long rest before you can use this feature again.

Bullet 1 is standard and it offers a + to stats for which there is not too much support for. I can recall Durable, Observant, Tavern Brawler, and Resilient for a + to Wis or Con. The 2nd bullet is a situational condition shake, one of which is limited to an alternate rule set for consistent use. The 3rd bullet is something kicks in while the chips are down, or at least that's the intent. May be a tad much though. The 4th bullet feels strong to me, but the GM who suggested the changes from 1HD + Con + Char Level pointed out that it would be someone expending their ability to heal normally for deeper reserves of strength. I'm still thinking of imposing a 1/2 total HD limit.

JNAProductions
2017-01-09, 11:15 AM
The half proficiency to all saves when at half or below is probably too much-especially since, by my reading, it also applies to saves you're already proficient in.

Maybe make it, Con or Wis Mod times per long (maybe short? But probably not) rest, you can add your proficiency bonus to a save you normally are not proficient in.

Potato_Priest
2017-01-09, 11:08 PM
I'd say this is pretty mild. In most campaigns, the saving throw buff is just going to be +1, +2 for the last few levels perhaps. Strange, though, that wizards will have an easier time concentrating on spells as they lose hit points. I like the temp HP thing, because it's a tough resource allocation decision.

I'd allow this at my table.

Gr7mm Bobb
2017-01-10, 09:23 AM
The thing I'd also like to point out is that the bonus to saving throws behaves similar to the Paladin's aura when it comes to death saving throws. To clarify, the 1/2 prof applies to even death saving throws, this was intentional to make the character less likely to die on their own. ATM it seems I have 2 votes, 1 says that the 1/2 prof for bloody needs to be nerfed, and another suggests that the feat is fine as is. Anyone else mind buzzing my ear on this?

JBPuffin
2017-01-10, 01:22 PM
I'd specify on the saves thing that it doesn't apply to saves you're already proficient in so it doesn't double-dip; a 9th-level fighter gets a +2 bonus to their mental and Dex saves, as well as death saves, but doesn't get +6+their stat mod to Str and Con saves, which is less broken.

So, "While you are at or below 1/2 of your original maximum hit points you add ½ of your proficiency bonus (rounded down) to all saving throws you do not already add your proficiency bonus to (insert example here)."

Gr7mm Bobb
2017-01-10, 02:03 PM
Puffin does bring up a decent point in that regard, wording it to behave like Jack-of-All-Trades for saves may be a decent route. Considering that this can cause the Pally to truly be an indomitable class. Recent UA_artificer has shown that apparently WoTC is totally ok with stupid high saves as a capstone. So maybe toning down the feat is a good plan.

If I do tone it down in that way, it does render the middle bullet moot for the Monk, who gets prof in all saves @ 11th level. Should I allow adv in prof saves and 1/2 to non-prof saves?

JBPuffin
2017-01-10, 02:11 PM
Puffin does bring up a decent point in that regard, wording it to behave like Jack-of-All-Trades for saves may be a decent route. Considering that this can cause the Pally to truly be an indomitable class. Recent UA_artificer has shown that apparently WoTC is totally ok with stupid high saves as a capstone. So maybe toning down the feat is a good plan.

If I do tone it down in that way, it does render the middle bullet moot for the Monk, who get prof in all saves @ 11th level. Should I allow adv in prof saves and 1/2 to non-prof saves?

Nope. Leave it how it is.

Gr7mm Bobb
2017-01-10, 02:15 PM
Nope. Leave it how it is.

Oh? May I ask what changed your mind?

Potato_Priest
2017-01-10, 09:55 PM
It's okay to have feat features that are overridden by class abilities. Many other feats do this already: for example, Tavern Brawler or Resilient on a monk are even more severely reduced in effectiveness.

I am pretty ambivalent about the suggested change, but DON'T make it give advantage on saves you're proficient in. If the issue we're trying to deal with is that it would give better-than-proficiency bonuses to saves that a char is already proficient in (which I don't see as a huge issue), let's not give what is essentially a +5 bonus to said saves.

JBPuffin
2017-01-10, 10:15 PM
Oh? May I ask what changed your mind?

Whoops! Sorry, I meant don't change my version :smalltongue:. Don't give advantage to all proficient saves just so Monks are happy. If they're taking this feat, it's for the rez at the end of their life and most likely before they get that feature.

Edit: Yeah, what Potato_Priest said.