PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Tempest a 5e Feat to Help Close the Power Gap between TWF and GWF

Gr7mm Bobb
2017-01-10, 10:38 AM
Did a lot of deliberating to try and get this one to work thematically and numerically without breaking the game. Of my time spent playing 5e I've noticed that the Two Weapon Fighting (TWF) style has a massive offensive power spike in the early levels, but quickly falls off after 5th level. Whereas the Great Weapon Fighting (GWF) style increased steadily until a massive spike at 5th level where most martial classes get access to Extra Attack and have picked up the Great Weapon Master (GWM) feat. For every martial class that is not the fighter, the power difference is less noticeable but still very present. The issue for me was that both of these styles of combat were very 'all-in' for their approach with the GWF winning out overall when you consider factors like Damage Per Round (DPR), resource investment (gear and attunement slots), and action economy. After 5th level, TWF has peaked and does not receive any other benefits. this is including the +1 increase in the average damage per swing that the Dual Wielder feat gives. As I progressed into this project I realized that consistently handing out 2 bonus swings was pushing the TWF over the top with little effort, so I resolved to let the Boomstick swingers reign supreme in damage, but allow the idea of MOAR DAKA to still feel like they had options and maybe even compete with the GWF when they had an edge over their opponent. Without further ado, I present:

Tempest
Prerequisite: Strength or dexterity Score of 13 or higher.

When you use Dodge action, you may use your bonus action make a single weapon attack with disadvantage or move up to 10 feet. This movement does not provoke an attack of opportunity.
Once during your turn, while you are wielding two weapons and you miss with a weapon attack, you can immediately make an additional attack with your other weapon with disadvantage.
If you are engaged in two weapon fighting and you score a critical hit or both dice from advantage would result in a hit, you may choose to hit with your other weapon and add its damage to the total. The second weapons damage is not multiplied on a critical hit unless you had advantage and the results of both dice would score a critical hit.

Really hoping that I phrased that properly and clearly. It was suggested by another member of my playgroup to just include a Rend stylized effect instead of what I have for the 3rd bullet. The last bullet was inspired by media and such and the GWM feat expanding the results of a critical. 2nd bullet deliberately worded to prevent it from triggering the advantage part of the 3rd bullet while still feeling like a catch-up swing. The 1st bullet was designed to allow for a 'shield-of-blades' effect to be felt without breaking action economy.

JNAProductions
2017-01-10, 12:22 PM
First bullet doesn't require you to TWF, and doesn't require a bonus action. Mandatory feat for Rogues-Dodge as an action, get your attack in, and Disengage/Dash as your bonus action.

Steel Mirror
2017-01-10, 12:27 PM
Wouldn't the bonus action already be used up by making the attack? So you don't have any bonus action available to dash or disengage.

JNAProductions
2017-01-10, 12:29 PM
Wouldn't the bonus action already be used up by making the attack? So you don't have any bonus action available to dash or disengage.

He edited it. The original had no action requirement.

That being said, it's still flipping mandatory for any one-attack class (so... Rogues, basically. Maybe Artificers). It's free Dodge for a feat.

Steel Mirror
2017-01-10, 12:51 PM
He edited it. The original had no action requirement.

That being said, it's still flipping mandatory for any one-attack class (so... Rogues, basically. Maybe Artificers). It's free Dodge for a feat.Ah, my apologies! But yeah, it is ridiculously powerful even as edited. For a one attack class (which includes those classes who eventually get multiple attacks for several levels), there wouldn't be much reason not to always dodge. Maybe if you had the attack made with disadvantage or something, it would be better.

JNAProductions
2017-01-10, 12:53 PM
Ah, my apologies! But yeah, it is ridiculously powerful even as edited. For a one attack class (which includes those classes who eventually get multiple attacks for several levels), there wouldn't be much reason not to always dodge. Maybe if you had the attack made with disadvantage or something, it would be better.

That would be good, since it negates Sneak Attack damage.

Gr7mm Bobb
2017-01-10, 02:13 PM
Okay, I had not previously edited the first bullet, it had always taken a bonus action. However, I did edit it now to have better clarity so it would better read as a bonus action attack or 10ft move.

To address JNA's concern with Sneak Attack, DisAdv might be the route to take. Causing it to behave more like a reversed reckless attack.

Monk's dodge-as-bonus is kept in check with the use of a resource, and I can see the cause for concern when this feat is taken by classes that aren't martially incline. Requiring it to be a melee attack might also mildly remove some of the appeal. But I don't think that is an entirely healthy route/mindset to take with this.

Another option is to address JNA's other concern with the 1st bullet and require that the character using it be wielding 2 weapons.

Potato_Priest
2017-01-10, 10:06 PM
I do like that 3rd bullet. You should probably specify whether you add your ability modifier twice, or only once, though.

Gr7mm Bobb
2017-01-11, 08:53 AM
I do like that 3rd bullet. You should probably specify whether you add your ability modifier twice, or only once, though.

That's entirely dependant on wether or not they have the fighting style.

My group is also suggesting that I remove the critical trigger from the 3rd bullet, but they reason is for clarity and understanding. But that is something I can measure better once I figure out how to make my 1st bullet far less hairy.

Potential idea for the 1st bullet is to offer a Parry effect. Doing so would still keep my current format of Defense, DAKA, and DAKA.

One idea is to keep the current wording to offer a special bonus action use after dodging. Offering either a 10ft free move. or let the bonus action setup a parry stance.
-OR-
Allow the TWF to replace their bonus action swing with a parry stance.

Overall the Parry Stance would allow the feat wielder to reduce incoming attack based damage by their off-hand weapons damage dice.

Problem 1: Should this special non-resource dependent consume both the users Bonus Action and Reaction to reduce the incoming damage? Should it use only the reaction (thus allowing the user to continue DAKA and behaving like a lesser version of the rogues Uncanny Dodge or the Battle Master's actual Parry feature that is Dex Dependant) or should it merely consume their Bonus action to continually reduce attack roll damage (like the Heavy Armor Master).

Problem 2: The potential slow down at the table to have the user roll damage dice to reduce damage. Either reaction based or continuous effect, there is no denying how gear-grinding this type of mechanic can be. One potential solution is to use the users Avg weapon damage + relevant modifiers (if any) to make the math simple.

Or we scrap the whole Parry stance idea above and simply allow them to use their bonus action to gain +2 AC while dual wielding.

As it stands, I edited the OP to have the single weapon attack be made with disadvantage. This doesn't entirely stop the rogue from delivering Sneak Attack, but it removes their ability to proc it from advantage.

SilverStud
2017-01-12, 10:57 AM
For that third bullet, you could try something like:

When engaged in two-weapon fighting and you have advantage on your main attack, if both d20 results would count as a hit, you may use your bonus action to automatically hit that same target, dealing normal damage. You may also use your bonus action this way if you score a critical hit.

My thinking is that being able to auto-hit is pretty freaking awesome, and might be a bit strong. But if it simply turns your off-hand attack into an auto-hit (meaning you still use your bonus action), maybe a bit more balanced? Thoughts?

Hope it helps.

Gr7mm Bobb
2017-01-12, 11:18 AM
That may be required as a case-by-case nerf for some tables. The no action damage was designed to provide a gap closer for damage between the 2 offensive styles of melee, GWF and TWF. It was my attempt to provide a bonus without just handing out an additional swing with the bonus action because of how unbalancing for early levels a non-resource dependant 4 swing turn can be. My mechanic does lean toward unquantifiable in terms of class and magic item implication. With more extensive playtesting this feat will most likely evolve. If the free doubletap proves too intense I can easily limit it to a 1/turn proc.

As a side note, I did phrase it as adding the weapon damage instead of counting as another successful swing to try and keep the paladin from doubling up on smites with 1 swing. I might need to double check my wording to be sure, but that was definitely a group concern.

I do like the idea of your mechanic though.

What would be the thoughts of adjusting the 1st bullet by replacing one of the Bonus Action options to allow them to use their bonus action to gain +2 AC while they qualify for TWF.