PDA

View Full Version : Arcane Spells

Tor the Fallen
2007-07-19, 12:38 AM
I'm looking for two arcane spells that don't show up on the wizard spell list, level 5 or below, that would be worth while to pick up for a wizard.

I don't need glibness, nor any of the cure spells.

Your thoughts?
A book/page number would be great, too.

Quietus
2007-07-19, 01:00 AM
Inside Core, the only place you'll find those is in Bard. Taking a quick look...

Song of Discord
Zone of Silence
Neutralize Poison
Modify Memory
Freedom of Movement

Song of Discord is level 5, the rest are level 4. You can look through the bard list here : http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spellLists/bardSpells.htm

::Edit:: These are all in the PHB, I assume you can find them on your own.

::Edit2:: @Ponce (below me) - he asked for arcane spells, the ones you've listed are Divine. Not sure if that's what he's looking for.

Ponce
2007-07-19, 01:01 AM
Magic Vestment (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/magicVestment.htm) - Long duration, helps your AC quite a bit (that is, if you're even getting hit).

Spell Resistance (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/spellResistance.htm) - Spell resistence? Eh...

It really depends on what you want to accomplish. Are you trying to do a CoDoWzilla?

Edit: Sorry, misread post.

-Cor-
2007-07-19, 01:09 AM
Check the Arcane Scroll lists in the DMG. They're broken down by level. That might lead you in the right direction and show you what spells were, in my mind, intentionally meant to be cast as Arcane.

Tor the Fallen
2007-07-19, 01:13 AM
My DM is letting me put ANY arcane spell into my spellbook as the two bonus spells I get from 5 levels of Mage of the Arcane Order.

I'm looking for nifty ones; freedom of movement looks terrific, as does zone of silence. Good utility.

I was more wondering about outside of core, though. (assassin and ninja spells, stuff in the spell compendium etc)

Actually, Evard's Tentacles + Freedom of Movement would be really killer, especially since we're using a 3.0 PHB. Tentacles lasts hours per level.

Douglas
2007-07-19, 01:19 AM
That's a rather unusual house rule. By RAW they come from another wizard's spellbook and they'd have to be sor/wiz spells to get there in the first place.

Jack Mann
2007-07-19, 01:25 AM
Modify Memory can be extraordinarily good, with sufficient imagination.

From the Spell Compendium, Body Harmonic is a nice save-or-lose.

Kaelaroth
2007-07-19, 02:09 AM
I quite like Body of the Sun, which can be found in Complete Divine. Second Level. (It may be available to sor/wiz already however)

Dirge of Discord is a Level 3 Bard Spell in Complete Adventurer, and Healthful Rest is in there also, as a first level spell.

Good Luck!

Kurald Galain
2007-07-19, 05:32 AM
I seem to bring this up every day, but...

look into the Arcane Disciple feat if you want cleric spells on your list. There's a few good ones.

Swooper
2007-07-19, 08:18 AM
That's a rather unusual house rule. By RAW they come from another wizard's spellbook and they'd have to be sor/wiz spells to get there in the first place. Not neccisarily - Sorcerers (arguably they make the best MotAOs), wu jen, warmages, bards, duskblades and hexblades can all qualify although the last two make sub-optimal ones.

Look at the spell lists for those classes (wu jen and warmage are in Complete Arcane, duskblades are in PHB2 and hexblades are in Complete Warrior).

Darrin
2007-07-19, 09:34 AM
My DM is letting me put ANY arcane spell into my spellbook as the two bonus spells I get from 5 levels of Mage of the Arcane Order.

First pick: Shivering Touch (from Frostburn)
Second pick: Shivering Touch (just in case an angry DM forces you to burn your fist copy)

Level 3 touch spell that does 3d6 Dex damage with no save. Maximize it and you can one-hit most dragons.

If you're looking for something not quite so broken, Ray of Clumsiness is slightly weaker (2nd level, 1d6 Dex damage), same concept.

I see Wraithstrike mentioned an awful lot (2nd level Sor/Wiz/Assn), turns all your melee attacks into touch attacks for 1 round, but is more useful for gishes.

FireSpark
2007-07-19, 09:39 AM

I'm looking for nifty ones; freedom of movement looks terrific, as does zone of silence. Good utility.

I was more wondering about outside of core, though. (assassin and ninja spells, stuff in the spell compendium etc)

Actually, Evard's Tentacles + Freedom of Movement would be really killer, especially since we're using a 3.0 PHB. Tentacles lasts hours per level.

Heck, if the DM is letting you add ANY arcane spell, go look at the Wu-Jen and Hexblade lists. The Hexblade has a few handy combat spells (very few, but they're there), and the Wu Jen has all sorts of goodies that aa standard wizard would love to get their hands on.

Tor the Fallen
2007-07-20, 12:22 AM
First pick: Shivering Touch (from Frostburn)
Second pick: Shivering Touch (just in case an angry DM forces you to burn your fist copy)

Level 3 touch spell that does 3d6 Dex damage with no save. Maximize it and you can one-hit most dragons.

If you're looking for something not quite so broken, Ray of Clumsiness is slightly weaker (2nd level, 1d6 Dex damage), same concept.

I see Wraithstrike mentioned an awful lot (2nd level Sor/Wiz/Assn), turns all your melee attacks into touch attacks for 1 round, but is more useful for gishes.

If we had Frostburn, I'd already have it. I did take Ray of Clumsiness, though. That IS a wiz/sorc spell, isn't it?

CASTLEMIKE
2007-07-20, 01:10 AM
I'm looking for two arcane spells that don't show up on the wizard spell list, level 5 or below, that would be worth while to pick up for a wizard.

I don't need glibness, nor any of the cure spells.

Your thoughts?
A book/page number would be great, too.

It depends on what you want your PC to do.

Adepts can use the spell pool according to the Guild Wizard of Waterdeep (Variant of MotAO) guild members and the PRC most members take. WCoS (See page 30 for text on guild members and PRC) so with your DM Heal might be an interesting choice either as a known or callable arcane Adept level 5 spell from the spellpool in your campaign.

Call Faithful Servants is a wizard 5 spell from BoED page 93. Your PC calls 1D4 lantern archons, coure or musteval to serve you for up to one year as guards, soldiers, spies or whatever holy purpose you have.

No matter how many times you cast this spell you can control no more than 2HD worth of celestials per caster level. If you excede it they all return.

You must abstain from casting conjuration spells for 3 days prior to casting and it takes one minute to cast.

It could be a pretty useful spell in campaign (Mixing it up over a few castings) and using a few lantern archons who retain their teleport without error ability self plus up to 50 pounds (since they are called not summoned) can make great messengers and transporters with reduce making most PCs or NPCs under 50#.

It is a little gray but if your PC is a sorcerer Anyspell would be nice for the 95% of down time when your PC isn't adventuring and doing a little professional spellcasting along with the spellpool access or to save a use of a knock scroll when the wizard is out of castings but you have 15 minutes to memorize the spell instead of wasting a spell pool calling. It lets you cast arcane and divine spells 0 -2 from a scroll or spellbook so it gives a sorcerer a lot more utility. It's in the Spell Compendium.

Heroism could be nice for buffing the party PHB.

Shadow Conjuration is nice for making Enchanted Tattooes mimicing Creat magic Tattoo from the FRCS page 68 and PGtF page 101 without the time constraint. It is also nice for making a Phantom Steed or Spectral Stags for very short term party flight to overcome obstacles.

Ghost light from Oriental Adventures is a nice level 1 spell basically an creepy light effect that has a Cause Fear Area Effect to observers.

Augment Familar is an Arcane Spell that might be useful occassionally for enhancing your familiar via the spell pool page 116 CW.

Break Enchantment, Contact Other Plane, Cursed Blade and Sending are level 4 Hexblade spells on page 116 CW.