PDA

View Full Version : Spells to psionics...

Akennedy
2007-07-19, 02:56 PM
Okay, I'm relatively sure this will probably become scorned by a majority of people in the playground, however, I'm sure I'm just about to dig my own grave.

In case no one has particularly noticed, the psionic power list isn't all that big. I was wondering if anyone could help me come up with an idea to convert magic spells into Psionic spells. The reason behind me doing this is to help psionic characters in the versatility compartment. Now, I know psionics is a little over powered now, but I don't particularly want to get into that argument. So, does anyone have a fool-proof method of converting arcane (or divine) spells into psionics.

However, I would also like to ask if this is a good idea or not?

Korias
2007-07-19, 02:58 PM
Its actualy pretty easy.

Take a spell's school. Convert it into one of the disciplines. Illusion=Psychoportation, Healing=Psychometabolism...

Keep the Spell's Level. Find a Power of Similar level and take the PP Cost.

Make some minor Changes (Casting->Manifesting Time, CL=ML, ect.), and then your set. Make sure that all references to Spells and SR Are changed to Powers and PR.

Fizban
2007-07-19, 03:05 PM
1: Psionics is not overpowered, it is balanced, or if you prefer, underpowered compared to the wizard.

2: It's been done. This link (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20070629a) allows Erudites to cast arcane spells.

3: It's not that hard anyway, Akennedy addressed every point I can think of.

Akennedy
2007-07-19, 03:50 PM
Thank you all very much!

palindrome
2007-07-19, 07:12 PM
While I agree with you that psions get the short end of the stick as far as selection goes, I would be very picky about which spells I translated. Psionics have a very different flavor than arcane spells, just like there is a very different feel for divine and arcane spells.

I would pick spells that don't necessarily use the raw damage approach. That's one of the big differences between psionics and spells. If you compare 9th level powers and spells (bear with me as I like 3.0 psionics a lot better and am looking at that book right now) there is only one power that does straight damage.

That's really the flavor of psionics. Whereas the 20th level wizard lobs around meteor swarms, the 20th level psion manifests a power that locks your mind in a false reality so you lie on the ground drooling until you starve to death, because your mind doesn't realize its body hasn't eaten in three weeks.

Psionics are mean. Psions aren't so much into the raw damage as they are into giving you suicidal urges, wrapping you up in a cocoon of burning ectoplasm, teleporting just your left arm and so on. Once you start giving them powers like meteor swarm (as sweet as it is) they start to lose their flavor.

By all means translate spells to powers. Just be sure to pick ones that stay true to the psionic flavor of killing in mean and creative ways, otherwise there isn't enough of a difference between psions and sorcerers to make the former appealing (or unique) in its own right.