PDA

View Full Version : Monsters in the Playground, Take II, Phase II

Fax Celestis
2007-07-19, 03:00 PM
Our accepted monsters need description, fluff text, and method of fitting into the world at large! Call dibs on one, write it up, and post your results here!

(art also accepted :smalltongue: )

ringsnake
2007-07-19, 03:51 PM
Our accepted monsters need description, fluff text, and method of fitting into the world at large! Call dibs on one, write it up, and post your results here!

(art also accepted :smalltongue: )

Even the ones that we ourselves did not create?

Do I need to reformat all that explanatory text that I did for the Preserved Zombie? I probably should anyway, but I'm a lazy cuss.

I assume you want a fairly strict layout like:

Description: This monster looks like a monster, it is very monstery.

Fluff Text: This monster is a fluffy monster, look at its fluffiness!

Using this Monster: This monster is used to attack PCs! Rar!

I'd think that unless you were strict about the exact layout of the text in this way you'd have to pursue us over and over again to get things right for a single unified format style for the book.

Also, for those of us who did acquired templates, should we be also providing some sample creatures? Like a Preserved zombie attack dog for example?

Fax Celestis
2007-07-19, 03:59 PM
Even the ones that we ourselves did not create?

Yes.

I assume you want a fairly strict layout like:

Description: This monster looks like a monster, it is very monstery.

Fluff Text: This monster is a fluffy monster, look at its fluffiness!

Using this Monster: This monster is used to attack PCs! Rar!

Yes.

Also, for those of us who did acquired templates, should we be also providing some sample creatures? Like a Preserved zombie attack dog for example?

Yes, but remember to only template OGL creatures.

Zeta Kai
2007-07-19, 04:12 PM
This leaves me with the sad task of hacking down the Oaves to an acceptable size. <sigh>:smallfrown:

Korias
2007-07-19, 04:31 PM
I thought it already had that stuff, Zeta Kai. It even says in the Sig: With ALL the trimmings.

DracoDei
2007-07-19, 04:47 PM
This leaves me with the sad task of hacking down the Oaves to an acceptable size. <sigh>:smallfrown:

Well... consider putting in a note about how MUCH more is available on the web, perhaps even a specific link?

Korias: Yes, it has ALL that and more... it is, as he said, "trimming it down" that presents the challenge.

ringsnake
2007-07-19, 07:11 PM
Preserved Zombie Writeup

Original Preserved Zombie rules post (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42999)

This replaces the text I've written for the preserved zombie. I'll be editing most of this info out of the stats on the original post. I'll add a few sample preserved zombies to the original post.

Description: The preserved zombie is an acquired template that can be added to any corporeal creature that has a skeletal system. The creature so changed must be in the range of Small to Huge size though huge preserved zombies are rare.

The Preserved Zombie looks like a normal zombie at first glance, though they do seem unusually "fresh" and don't stagger or shamble if they happen to be seen in motion. They are clearly reanimated dead. The zombie's orifices are sewn shut, and intricate trace works of runes and sigils are drawn or incised into the flesh. If the base creature had a bite attack the mouth will not be sewn shut, but the gums and other fleshy extras will be cut away. Their creator may have seen fit to equip them clothing, arms, or armor; which is unusual for zombies.

There is an odd funereal smell to them, like stale spices and old flowers, with just a slight hint of decay beneath.

Fluff Text: Zombies are unpleasant to deal with on any longterm basis for all but the most depraved and anosmic of necromancers. Usually used as short-term tools, the smell of putrescence and the eventual decay of the normal zombie makes it useless as any sort of permanent follower.

However, some necromancers have discovered ways of preserving corpses, and have turned that concept to new purposes. Instead of using embalming as a way of venerating the dead some necromancers have worked out how to improve the corpses of the freshly killed for reanimation.

The process is time consuming and expensive, but these preserved zombies don't rot, and are much easier to be around. They are slightly more clever than normal zombies, and have some additional benefits due to the advanced magical processes used in creating them.

Preserved zombies are more clever than normal zombies, but are slavishly devoted to their creator. They are stupid creatures, and though they can receive basic instructions they sometimes miss nuances. They fight as a disorganized mob, and can only work around the most basic of tricks.

They can take basic instructions like "Pull this chain if anyone other than me walks down this hallway, and if the trap doesn't kill them then attack them." A preserved zombie won't repeatedly try something that doesn't work. Tricks that will work on normal zombies, like baiting them over an obvious trap, won't work. They are about as smart as exceptionally clever animals.

Regardless of the alignment of their creator Preserved Zombies read as Neutral Evil. They lack the depth of thought to have any philosophical feelings on the subject, but their creation is the purest act of evil, and reads as such. Spell casters that create preserved zombies will have their alignment shift to evil, and must do some form of major atonement to recover a neutral or good alignment.

A preserved zombie can only be created from corpses that are freshly dead, no more than a few days old, and they must not be too badly damaged or aged. The embalming process is complex, and consists of carefully removing the organs without damaging the muscles or skeletal structure too much, pickling them, and putting them back in place with cloth soaked in preservatives and perfumes.

The spellcaster attempting the ritual must cast True Sight, Gentle Repose, and Fox's Cunning on the corpse shortly after Raise Dead is used on them. Cost of materials and labor varies, but is at least 250 gp per hit die plus the cost of material componants for the spells. For medium creatures multiply that cost by two, large creatures multiply by five, and for Huge creatures multiply that cost by ten.

Using this Monster: Depending on your own campaign and the level of acceptance of necromancy in your game setting you may want to make the process of creating a preserved zombie more or less difficult. Plot hooks are a bit easier with this monster than normal zombies. Preserved zombies require a fresher and more intact corpse, so a necromancer may start making his own corpses by killing people, which should in turn attract the attention of players.

The preserved zombie can also be used to punish players for overconfidence without actually killing them. PCs too used to abusing invisibility or other illusion spells to sidestep every encounter cannot do so against a zombie with true seeing.

At the discretion of the DM extra materials, spells, and sacrifices may be required. If there's any risk that player characters might try to create these for themselves I suggest you make the Craft Construct feat also a requirement, and make the PC pay XP for their preserved zombies. Otherwise this changes from an upscaled zombie to cheap and easy access to a permanent true sight spell.

I suggest you add the following special qualities to normal zombies:

Putrescent (Ex): A zombie is a foul and rotting carcass brought to sick semblance of life. It is impossible to disguise them as anything else, and they are easy to track or locate due to their stupidity and clumsiness. Any attempt to use the Track feat against zombies gains a +10 circumstance bonus. Living creatures with a sense of smell within 5' of a zombie needs to make a Fortitude save (DC10) or become sickened.

Rotting (Ex): Zombies have an expiration date. The more damaged the revived carcass the more quickly it will disintegrate. Zombies only last for a few months at most. The statistics of the zombie in the SRD reflect the freshly revived. A zombie loses 1HD for every 2 weeks of existence. Once they reach 0HD, they collapse into a useless pile of rotten flesh. Spells like Gentle repose will delay this process, but won't eliminate the putrescent limitation.

Fax Celestis
2007-07-19, 07:31 PM
Perfect.

I think we have an example template.

Zeta Kai
2007-07-19, 08:28 PM
Question for Fax: For approved monsters, should we post the entire monster entry, with full descriptive text, or is this thread just a workshop for the incomplete entries?

Fax Celestis
2007-07-19, 08:42 PM
Question for Fax: For approved monsters, should we post the entire monster entry, with full descriptive text, or is this thread just a workshop for the incomplete entries?

Just a workshop. I will collect completed entries for finalization, whether it be by email ([email protected]), wiki (link (http://coporation.walagata.com/)), or PM. I would prefer the first, though.

TheLogman
2007-07-19, 09:27 PM
Truth Spinners

Description: The Truth Spinner is a golden spider, glistening with purity and law, and imbued with the very core of Law, looking near-perfect in every way, every joint is at the perfect angle, the body perfectly formed.

When a Truth Spinner uses its spell-like abilities, it spins a web, but unlike a normal web, it is a little tougher looking, and it is always perfectly formed, never a misplaced curve or angle, the whole web perfectly symmetrical. When a Truth Spinner spins together with other Truth Spinners, their webs become more and more complex and intricate, but still perfectly formed, and symmetrical.

When in combat, a Truth Spinner fights without tricks, complementing its allies' strengths and covering for their weaknesses.

Fluff Text: Truth Spinners are wise and intelligent, but they are fragile. They try to stay away from combat, smart enough to know their weaknesses, instead spinning webs of spells to weaken or damage any Chaotic creature they see. Although they prefer to stay in their caves, where they can care for their eggs and young, they will form alliances with other Lawful creatures in the area, such as Mind Flayers, to hunt down any Chaotic threats in the area. Inevitables and other Lawful creatures will sometimes recruit Truth Spinners for their Zone of Truth Ability, which makes it possible for Trials to go on with perfect truth. Usually, Truth Spinners will be content with serving their duty as Lawful creatures, and not expect any payment for their services in trials, but will refuse to aid in a trail for more than a week, as it forces them to be too far away from their nests and homes.

Using this Monster: The place to fight this monster is in its own den, preferably in the company of fellow Truth Spinners, to allow for optimal power. At higher levels, this monster can be placed at the back of a team of strong melee-based combatants, always Lawful, casting spells to assist their allies, or harm their enemies. A Truth Spinner will usually start the battle with Dictum, to weaken any Chaotic enemies, followed by buffs of Spell Resistance, Blade Barriers and Obscuring Mist to slow their enemies, before finishing off enemies with Flame Strikes. Truth Spinners are logical and methodical when fighting, always making the most intelligent and sensical combat decisions.

In a more non-combat setting, the Truth Spinners could be used in a trial, using their Zone of Truth ability to force the PC's to tell the truth, regardless of any spells or Bluff ranks. A DM using this monster can persuade PC's to find a different solution to a trial besides lying, such as investigating the crime, or at the very least hiring a good lawyer.

DragonTounge
2007-07-19, 10:26 PM
Blood-Burning Crab Ecology

Description: The blood-burning crab is a magical creature that looks like a large crab, that uses salt and pain as a weapon.

Blood-burning crabs have light green shells that look like the color of the sea. Its shell shines due to a gloss it uses to prevent prey from escaping. The blood-burning crabs mouth is to small to be used as a weapon and it takes a while to eat its food. However most of the time you don’t see a blood-burning crabs shell as its shell is usually covered with sand. It uses the sand as a camouflage to catch prey.

Every summer a blood-burning crab uses the adhesive on its shell to cover its self with shiny things (spoons, coins, gems, etc.) It usually has at least 35gp worth items by some accounts. During this time they cannot put sand on their bodies and lose their natural camouflage.

Fluff Text: Every summer, or at least when food is in abundance, blood-burning crabs go to their lairs and grab all the items they’ve collected over their life and stick it to their shell. They then travel to a certain spot using only their instincts to guide them. Those that come to the spot go around showing off the items they’ve collected attempting to attract a mate.

Blood-burning crabs make small lairs that they dig in the sand. These are usually small lairs that they only use to store any items they collect and to sleep in. The entrances to these layers are usually too small for medium or taller creatures to climb in. The layer is only one room half filled with items (the same type they use during mating season.).

Using This Monster: A blood-burning crab is like a clever animal and acts like such. It uses simple tactics: it hides in the sand and when opponents come to close they jump out and attack them, injuring as many opponents as possible before attempting to hit all the opponents with its breath weapon. If its clearly out matched the blood-burning crab runs into the sea to hide. The only time a blood-burning crab is caught in its lair is at night or the week before mating.

A blood-burning crab could be trained to be used as a “watch dog”, but could be hard requiring a DC 25 handle animal check every day for a week to train it. Also if unable to get to the breeding grounds a blood-burning crab will become angry and attack anyone who doesn’t make a DC 30 handle animal check, even if he’s a friend.

Blood-burning crabs are used mostly for combat settings attacking anyone headed for beaches, in the water, and sometimes, if food is scarce, on boats.

The original blood-burning crab (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2721415#post2721415)

BisectedBrioche
2007-07-21, 05:07 AM
I think that this thread needs sticky-ing.

DracoDei
2007-07-21, 06:21 AM
Sticky might be good... but then the first thread probably should be unstickied, which also means Fax needs to edit the first post in this thread to include a link to the first thread.

Zeta Kai
2007-07-24, 12:57 PM
I second the nomination for Sticky-ness. The Phase One thread has become obsolete, so it should probably be de-Sticky'd.

Danu
2007-07-24, 02:11 PM
I'm going to withdraw my blackice shadow from the MitP. My original vision for it was to have several different ocanthicite creatures grouped together (much like devils, demons, and such), but I was unable to complete the four others in time.

My other entries still remain, however, and I will be revising them shortly. The one to be most revised is likely the stationary guardian, which many stated was actually too powerful for its CR.

NakedCelt
2007-07-24, 08:11 PM
Can those of us who didn't get our MitP entries in on time still contribute to this part of it? And if we do, can we cast votes for the remaining MitP submissions?

Fax Celestis
2007-07-24, 08:22 PM
Can those of us who didn't get our MitP entries in on time still contribute to this part of it? And if we do, can we cast votes for the remaining MitP submissions?

Yes and yes.

levi
2007-07-24, 10:47 PM
Once we've got good descriptions, I'd be willing to contribute artwork. ? Most of my work is in an style similar to anime or comic books. (I can do other styles, but it takes much longer due to a lack of practice.) Has a specific artwork style been established for this project, and, if so, what is it?

Fax Celestis
2007-07-24, 11:12 PM
Once we've got good descriptions, I'd be willing to contribute artwork. ? Most of my work is in an style similar to anime or comic books. (I can do other styles, but it takes much longer due to a lack of practice.) Has a specific artwork style been established for this project, and, if so, what is it?

There is no specific style; art is appreciated in any form.

Lord Iames Osari
2007-07-29, 08:47 PM
Fax, can I suggest that we set a deadline, at the end of which no more votes will be counted, even if there are submitted entries that have not gotten enough to make it in? Otherwise, we might as well just add the submitted monsters to the accepted monsters and be done with it - a course of action I will go on the record as opposing, since it defeats the purpose of voting in the first place.

stolenchariot
2007-07-29, 10:58 PM
Maiden of The Night
http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h225/SiCk_0f_Ur_ExCuSeS/MOONFAECOMPLETE-1.jpg

Description Maidens of the night apear similar to female elves, only with sharper features and skin holding a pale blue tint. Their hair is a silvery sheen, and wrapped around their graceful form is a cloak mimicking the night sky.

Fluff textMaidens of the night are nature spirits created when females with an afinity of nature die and are blessed with a sort of immortality by the deities of the moon. They retain their name and a few features from their past life, but none of their former memories. In truth, their physical form is nothing more than an asymilation of fragments of their spirit bound together by their pact with the moon. Many maidens surround themslves with nocturnal creatures to act as their guardians and assistants. Many make pacts with packs of lycanthropes (number ad type is at DM's diiscretion.)

Using this monster Maidens of the night, due to the variety of their alignments, can serve a variety of purposes, from a woman posing as a druid who asks the PC's to help ehr protect a sacred grove, to a vindictive spirit who brings woe upon the womenfolk of nearby settlements for daring to be as beautiful as she. If forced into combat, a Maiden of the night will rely on her spell-like abilities to disorient the PC's and even turn them aginst each other. If she is set on harm, or if her spells fail, she will call for help among the nocturnal creatures in her domain. Once she becomes undenyably hostile, she will open with moonfire to soften the party's melee combatants before opening fire with her bow.

Fax Celestis
2007-07-29, 11:24 PM
Fax, can I suggest that we set a deadline, at the end of which no more votes will be counted, even if there are submitted entries that have not gotten enough to make it in? Otherwise, we might as well just add the submitted monsters to the accepted monsters and be done with it - a course of action I will go on the record as opposing, since it defeats the purpose of voting in the first place.

Good call. August 10th.

Matthew
2007-07-29, 11:29 PM
So we can definitely still vote for stuff until then?

Fax Celestis
2007-07-29, 11:57 PM
So we can definitely still vote for stuff until then?

Yes, you may.

Matthew
2007-07-29, 11:59 PM
Okay, good. Somebody recently posted to say everything was closed. Glad to hear there is still a chance of some of these Monsters getting in.

BisectedBrioche
2007-07-30, 02:07 PM
OK, I've gone through my Psuedothreat (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48222) and rewritten its fluff. See the main post for the stats, details of its abilities and combat tactics;

Description
Psuedothreats are small Fey creatures with skin coloured green, brown or gray depending on their environment and wearing clothes made of bark or small shards of slate. They are about 1 to 1.5 ft tall and weigh a little less than 1lb. They speak Sylvan and the language of whatever race they live nearest to (usually Common for forest dwellers or Terran in the case of cave dwellers). There is little gender dimorphism and most psuedothreats appear androgynous by the standards of most creatures (though they seem to have no trouble identifying one another's sex and elves or any PC who has ranks in a related knowledge skill tend to notice).

Fluff Text
They enjoy frightening travelers (but never maliciously), normally by following them for a few days and making them nervous by using their teleport to move items around. When they have finally decided that their victims are nervous enough they use their Know Enemy spell like ability to find out what would scare them the most, then attempt to replicate it with a Silent Illusion. If they succeed (usually this means making at least one of their victims scream in terror or in some other way make a fool of themselves) then they will reveal themselves to the party (often giggling uncontrollably) and award them with a mundane alchemical item.

Using this Monster
Pseudothreats are always encountered in a cave or forest and will begin (if the choose to) follow their target(s) as soon as they enter the area.

If there is a group of 5-6 of psuedothreats then one of them will be the leader and have higher a hit dice than the rest. In this case there is a 10% chance per its HD that they will instead offer them a quest in exchange for a magical item based on their Craft skill and feat (rather than giving them an alchemical item outright), roll a 1d4 to decide what this is and consult the table below.

{table=head]
1d4 Roll|
Craft Skill|
Feat

1|
Craft(ring)|
Forge Ring

2|
Craft(tool)|
Craft Wondrous Item

3|
Craft(Weaponsmithing)|
Craft Magic Arms And Armor

4|
Craft(Alchemy)|
Brew Potion[/table]

The "quests" tend to bizarre in nature, and can be anything from giving a speech to the next person the PCs meet using a random word to retrieving a stone from a certain area of a dungeon (It is recommended that the DM choose the quest after the item has been rolled to ensure its fair).

TheLogman
2007-08-13, 08:30 AM
Frozen Terrors

Description: Vicious Hunters, Frozen Terrors chase after any and all living prey as it bounds across the Elemental Plane of Water, freezing water to step on, always vigilant for a new challenge. Frozen Terrors are the size of a normal wolf, but are instead made of solid Ice, and covered in spikes that could impale a full-grown man. As it fights, it growls viciously in Aquan, every word accented with growls, barks, and the crackling of ice.

Fluff Text: Not really the most intelligent monster a party of Adventurers would encounter, the Frozen Terror really doesn't know more than simple battle tactics, and how to hit where it hurts. When surrounded, it will call for help, and beat off enemies one by one, tripping them when necessary. A Frozen Terror also hold the pack mentality of a wolf, so for every one you see, another two lurk nearby, ready to come at the nearest sign of prey. The eldest of the Frozen Terrors usually becomes the Pack Lord, directing hunting parties, and getting the best pieces of freshly caught prey.

Using this Monster: When it fights, this monster prefers to lunge into melee to make the most of the spikes that cover its body, but if a Frozen Terror knows it is out-numbered, it will use its Freezing Howl to damage enemies, and call for help. The most exciting way to use this monster would be to have the party fight just one, then as more Frozen Terrors hear the fights, and the Howls of the Terror currently fighting, they would join in, eventually forcing the party to fight the entire pack. Interesting ways to use this monster include having a pack attack a research center on the plane of water, or coupling it with other Elementals, such as Water Elementals.

BisectedBrioche
2007-08-14, 10:26 AM
Updated Fluff for my Protective Spirits (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2785310#post2785310)

Description
Protective Spirits appear as they did in life but will have something about their appearance which indicates how they died. For example someone who was hung would have a stretched neck, someone who starved would appear thin and skeletal and so on. They normally avoid frightening people and thus remain invisible.

Fluff Text
A Guardian Spirit is created when a sapient being is killed in an unpleasant manner (or had their body befouled after death). Rather than bearing a grudge or resentment towards the living they desire only to prevent other beings from sharing their fate. They will normally inhabit the area in which they died (e.g. level of a dungeon, section of a city or a small settlement). They will do anything in their power to prevent someone dieing in the same way that they did, up to and including killing.

Using this Monster
Protective Spirits can be found anywhere where someone can meet an untimely death. They will do their best to prevent a death in the same manner as their own (although some will be focused on what happens to the person's corpse) but will not intervene in regards to other hazards and are as likely to be against the party as they are to attack them. See the rest of the article for examples of subtypes and combat tactics.

Example Protective Spirit
Unknown Half Orc Fighter Protective Spirit (Unlucky Spirit)
Size/Type: Medium Undead (incorporeal)
Hit Dice: 1d12 (6 hp)
Initiative: +0
Speed: Flight (perfect Maneuverability); 30 ft. (6 squares)
Armor Class: 11 (+1 from charisma bonus), touch 10, flat-footed 13
Base Attack/Grapple: +1/+4
Attack: Falchion +4 melee (2d4+4/18-20) or javelin +1 ranged (1d6+3)
Full Attack: Falchion +4 melee (2d4+4/18-20) or javelin +1 ranged (1d6+3)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Corrupting Gaze, Corrupting Touch, Draining Touch, Frightful Moan, Horrific Appearance, Malevolence, Manifestation, Telekinesis
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft., light sensitivity, Rejuvenation, Turn Resistance (+4), Warning Mark, Vengeful Victim
Saves: Fort +3, Ref +0, Will -2
Abilities: Str 15, Dex 11, Con 0, Int 8, Wis 9, Cha 10
Skills: Listen +9, Spot +9, Hide +8, Search +8
Feats: Alertness
Challenge Rating: 2
Alignment: Neutral Good

An unknown Half Orc fighter who's corpse lies cut in half where he was killed by a swinging blade trap. His studded leather armour has been destroyed beyond repair however his weapon is intact and still carried by his spirit, who lingers to prevent other's from falling victim to the traps in the dungeon.

Corrupting Gaze (Su) A ghost can blast living beings with a glance, at a range of up to 30 feet. Creatures that meet the ghost’s gaze must succeed on a Fortitude save or take 2d10 points of damage and 1d4 points of Charisma damage.

Corrupting Touch (Su) A ghost that hits a living target with its incorporeal touch attack deals 1d6 points of damage. Against ethereal opponents, it adds its Strength modifier to attack and damage rolls. Against nonethereal opponents, it adds its Dexterity modifier to attack rolls only.

Draining Touch (Su) A ghost that hits a living target with its incorporeal touch attack drains 1d4 points from any one ability score it selects. On each such successful attack, the ghost heals 5 points of damage to itself. Against ethereal opponents, it adds its Strength modifier to attack rolls only. Against nonethereal opponents, it adds its Dexterity modifier to attack rolls only.

Frightful Moan (Su) A ghost can emit a frightful moan as a standard action. All living creatures within a 30-foot spread must succeed on a Will save or become panicked for 2d4 rounds. This is a sonic necromantic mind-affecting fear effect. A creature that successfully saves against the moan cannot be affected by the same ghost’s moan for 24 hours.

Horrific Appearance (Su) Any living creature within 60 feet that views a ghost must succeed on a Fortitude save or immediately take 1d4 points of Strength damage, 1d4 points of Dexterity damage, and 1d4 points of Constitution damage. A creature that successfully saves against this effect cannot be affected by the same ghost’s horrific appearance for 24 hours.

Malevolence (Su) Once per round, an ethereal ghost can merge its body with a creature on the Material Plane. This ability is similar to a magic jar spell (caster level 10th or the ghost’s Hit Dice, whichever is higher), except that it does not require a receptacle. To use this ability, the ghost must be manifested and it must try move into the target’s space; moving into the target’s space to use the malevolence ability does not provoke attacks of opportunity. The target can resist the attack with a successful Will save (DC 15 + ghost’s Cha modifier). A creature that successfully saves is immune to that same ghost’s malevolence for 24 hours, and the ghost cannot enter the target’s space. If the save fails, the ghost vanishes into the target’s body.

Manifestation (Su) Every ghost has this ability. A ghost dwells on the Ethereal Plane and, as an ethereal creature, it cannot affect or be affected by anything in the material world. When a ghost manifests, it partly enters the Material Plane and becomes visible but incorporeal on the Material Plane. A manifested ghost can be harmed only by other incorporeal creatures, magic weapons, or spells, with a 50% chance to ignore any damage from a corporeal source. A manifested ghost can pass through solid objects at will, and its own attacks pass through armor. A manifested ghost always moves silently. A manifested ghost can strike with its touch attack or with a ghost touch weapon (see Ghostly Equipment, below). A manifested ghost remains partially on the Ethereal Plane, where is it not incorporeal. A manifested ghost can be attacked by opponents on either the Material Plane or the Ethereal Plane. The ghost’s incorporeality helps protect it from foes on the Material Plane, but not from foes on the Ethereal Plane.

When a spellcasting ghost is not manifested and is on the Ethereal Plane, its spells cannot affect targets on the Material Plane, but they work normally against ethereal targets. When a spellcasting ghost manifests, its spells continue to affect ethereal targets and can affect targets on the Material Plane normally unless the spells rely on touch. A manifested ghost’s touch spells don’t work on nonethereal targets.

A ghost has two home planes, the Material Plane and the Ethereal Plane. It is not considered extraplanar when on either of these planes.

Telekinesis (Su) A ghost can use telekinesis as a standard action (caster level 12th or equal to the ghost’s HD, whichever is higher). When a ghost uses this power, it must wait 1d4 rounds before using it again.

Light Sensitivity (Ex) Orcs are dazzled in bright sunlight or within the radius of a daylight spell.

Rejuvenation (Su) In most cases, it’s difficult to destroy a ghost through simple combat: The "destroyed" spirit will often restore itself in 2d4 days. Even the most powerful spells are usually only temporary solutions. A ghost that would otherwise be destroyed returns to its old haunts with a successful level check (1d20 + ghost’s HD) against DC 16. As a rule, the only way to get rid of a ghost for sure is to determine the reason for its existence and set right whatever prevents it from resting in peace. The exact means varies with each spirit and may require a good deal of research.

Turn Resistance (Ex) A ghost has +4 turn resistance.

Warning Mark (Sp) The spirit may create a mark on a surface or in the air. It glows bright red (or another colour of the ghost's choice) and anyone who sees it or comes withing 30ft. of it gets a feeling of wariness about whatever it has been scribed to (the area if it was scribed in the air) and gains a +2 bonus to any attempts to avoid, detect, etc traps. A mark is suppressed (but not removed) by an antimagic field. A ghost may have no more than 4 active marks.

Vengeful Victim (Su) The ghost may freely suppress or reactivate the trap which killed them. They may not suppress it for longer than 5 hours and then they must rest for a further hour.

Zeta Kai
2007-08-15, 07:08 AM
As the voting ended on August 10th, do we have a final list of monsters? Also, it would be beneficial to see which creatures still need work, so as to coordinate or efforts.

Tormsskull
2007-08-15, 08:11 AM
More editing stuff:

Maerok
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2750483

Only two have ever been found; they were buried deep in a desert and a tar pit in the jungle. It understands no languages, and getting the thing to work is a mystery in itself. Once activated, however, the Worldshaker is terror to behold.

I'd rewrite the first line as: "Only two have ever been found; the first was buried deep in a desert and the second in a tar pit in the jungle." As it is currently written it is a bit confusing.

Second, as far as languages are concerned, I get the feeling that this entry, even though it is a construct, is more like a vehicle. As such, I'm not sure it is important to list that it doesn't understand any languages. If I am mistaken, I'd still rewrite it as "It doesn't understand any languages, and getting the thing to work is a mystery in itself."

Lastly, I'd throw an "a" before terror to make it read: "Once activated, however, the Worldshaker is a terror to behold."

The Demented One
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39160

Their great strength and nigh-indestructibility makes them ideal guardians and warriors, and many druids create them to serve just such a purpose.

I checked, and it looks like both make and makes works in this sentence, so it isn't really an error, but make sounds better IMO. Use your judgment.

A Moss Golem appears to be nothing more than a animate, humanoid-shaped mass of moss, but it possesses an internal framework of wicker, which gives it its man-like form.

Change "a animate" to "an animate".

A Moss Golem is capable of reforming its body after being destroyed. 1d6 rounds after being reduced to 0 hp, an Moss Golem’s body reforms, and it is returned to full hp. It can take only partial actions in the round immediately after it reforms. Only by completely destroying or burning the body of an Moss Golem can this reanimation be prevented. An Moss Golem who is destroyed by a disintegrate spell or similar effect cannot reanimate. In addition, an Moss Golem that is dealt 25 or more points of fire damage is so badly burned that it cannot reanimate unless that damage is restored. In addition, once an Moss Golem has been reduced to 0 hp, a character may set it on fire with flint and tinder or similar means as a full-round action, destroying it finally.

Creating a Moss Golem
The body of an Moss Golem is formed from assorted mosses, fungi, and lichens, which can be easily scavenged from any forest, and a wickerwork skeleton, worth 75 gp.

Change "an" to "a".

Wickerthrall are constructs most often created by druids. Although they are relatively weak, they have a unique advantage. Wickerthrall are capable of magically recreating their bodies after being destroyed, making them all but indestructible. For this reason, many druids will create an Wickerthrall to serve as a spy or a guard. The body of an Wickerthrall is a shamble of sylvan detritus–dead wood, fallen leaves, moss and fungus, and similar, contained within a wickerwork skeleton.

Reanimate (Su)
A Wickerthrall is capable of reforming its body after being destroyed. 1d6 rounds after being reduced to 0 hp, an Wickerthrall’s body reforms, and it is returned to full hp. It can take only partial actions in the round immediately after it reforms. Only by completely destroying or burning the body of an Wickerthrall can this reanimation be prevented. An Wickerthrall who is destroyed by a disintegrate spell or similar effect cannot reanimate. In addition, an Wickerthrall that is dealt 15 or more points of fire damage is so badly burned that it cannot reanimate unless that damage is restored. In addition, once an Wickerthrall has been reduced to 0 hp, a character may set it on fire with flint and tinder or similar means as a full-round action, destroying it finally(I'd use the word permanently instead.)

Creating an Wickerthrall
The body of an Wickerthrall is formed from assorted plant detritus, which can be easily scavenged from any forest, and a wickerwork skeleton, worth 15 gp. Assembling the body requires a DC 10 Craft (Basketweaving) or Craft (Wickerwork) check.

Change "an" to "a".

Icewalker
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41952

The person telling the secret forgets the secret in it’s(replace with "its") entirety, and the listener doesn’t hear it.

Watchers will often puruse(replace with pursue) a secret that is succesfully (replace with "successfully") saved for (I'd suggest replacing "for" with "against").

Ok, as usual, I'll get to more when I have time.

Lord Iames Osari
2007-08-22, 10:24 PM
I'll just bump this so it doesn't get forgotten.

Edit: I just now (finally) tallied up the final votes. Congratulations to all those who got in, and a heartfelt "sorry" to all those who didn't. Here's the final list.

Accepted

Ahimanu (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43128) - Fax Celestis - 9 yes, 2 no
Ankubusa (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42534) - Maerok - 11 yes, 2 no
Blackice Shadow (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39195) - Danu - 11 yes, 2 no - WITHDRAWN
Bliss Vine (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40812) - Lord Iames - 10 yes, 0 no
Blood-Burning Crab (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2721415#post2721415) - DragonTounge - 7 yes, 0 no
Bombard Oak (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2867008#post2867008) - Maerok - 7 yes, 0 no
Brenner (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41960) - Angafirith - 12 yes, 0 no
Boogeyman (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39638) - The Demented One - 8 yes, 1 no
Catfish King (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39737) - ArmorArmadillo - 14 yes, 2 no
Cerebral Inferno (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46981) - pyrefiend - 8 yes, 0 no
Cherry Ooze (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41639) - Danu - 11 yes, 1 no
Chocolate Golems (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46749) - Maerok - 12 yes, 0 no
Cloth Golem (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41857) - Vaynor - 14 yes, 2 no
Coronal Elemental (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42377) - Icewalker - 12 yes, 1 no
Corpseskin (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39621) - Maerok - 9 yes, 0 no
Corpse Sphere (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39621) - Maerok - 9 yes, 1 no
Crab Golem (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42257) - Scorpina - 8 yes, 1 no
Dark Fuzz (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42563) - Danu - 12 yes, 0 no
Darkwomb Mother (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39607) - The Demented One - 15 yes, 1 no
Death Elemental (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39339) - Lord Iames - 17 yes, 3 no
Dread Beast (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39821) - Icewalker - 9 yes, 0 no
Dread Chieftain (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39821) - Icewalker - 9 yes, 0 no
Dread General (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39821) - Icewalker - 9 yes, 0 no
Dread Zombie (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39821) - Icewalker - 9 yes, 0 no
Dreamshards (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39766) - Lord Iames - 10 yes, 0 no
Echo of the Red (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2862275) - adanedhel9 - 7 yes, 0 no
Empty Skin (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2601115) - DracoDei - 11 yes, 0 no
Epidermarra (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39122) - The Demented One - 7 yes, 0 no
Familiar Grub (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39857) - Umarth - 8 yes, 0 no
Farsighter (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42540) - Maerok - 13 yes, 0 no
Fingerling Swarm (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39606) - The Demented One - 16 yes, 1 no
Flash Beetle (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48386) - adanedhel9 - 9 yes, 1 no
Forcehunter Sandworm (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43130) - Fax Celestis - 9 yes, 1 no
Frost Leopard (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42220) - Danu - 7 yes, 0 no
Frozen Terror (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2814003#post2814003) - TheLogman - 8 yes, 0 no
Giant Cockroach (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39028) - TempusCCK - 11 yes, 1 no
Giant Man-Eating Clam (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40065) - The Than - 11 yes, 2 no
Giraffe-a-pump (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2618654) - DracoDei - 8 yes, 1 no
Gribble (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2736216#post2736216) - Poppatomus - 7 yes, 0 no
Gruarru (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39226) - Faulkner Asiniti - 12 yes, 5 no
Herald of the End (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49359) - TheEscapist - 7 yes, 0 no
Hextomb Bound Template (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43133) - Fax Celestis - 10 yes, 0 no
Hunting Drake (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40799) - Scorpina - 16 yes, 1 no
Intestine Bird (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41373) - Rimx - 10 yes, 0 no
Kinderfiend (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46915) - Poppatomus - 8 yes, 0 no
Kinderhorror (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46915) - Poppatomus - 8 yes, 0 no
Kryhger (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42219) - Danu - 10 yes, 2 no
Kukilaluit (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41799) - Danu - 13 yes, 0 no
Kupakako Golem (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41945) - Fax Celestis - 7 yes, 0 no
Life Elemental (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39339) - Lord Iames - 18 yes, 4 no
Lifescorned Template (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40046) - The Demented One - 9 yes, 2 no
Lure Eel (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39717) - Icewalker - 14 yes, 3 no
Maiden of the Night (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47650) - stolenchariot - 8 yes, 1 no
Man-Eater Spider (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39767) - Icewalker - 14 yes, 5 no
Maurauder of the Flesh (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39621) - Maerok - 9 yes, 0 no
Mint Ooze (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41639) - Danu - 10 yes, 3 no
Mist Rats (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41810) - Vaynor - 8 yes, 0 no
Mnemonophage (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39120) - The Demented One - 10 yes, 1 no
Morgellian (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39119) - The Demented One - 14 yes, 0 no
Morrigan (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39565) - Scorpina - 10 yes, 1 no
Moss Golem (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39160) - The Demented One - 8 yes, 1 no
Mythweaver (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39611) - The Demented One - 11 yes, 0 no
The Nameless (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47825) - Ceres - 9 yes, 0 no
The Night Creeper (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43461) - Destro Yersul - 8 yes, 0 no
Nimbus Golem (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46592) - Poppatomus - 7 yes, 0 no
Nocturne Lemur (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40688) - Icewalker - 9 yes, 0 no
Nyati (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42547) - Angafirith - 9 yes, 1 no
Oaves (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37855) - Zeta Kai - 18 yes, 7 no
Pedolith (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39200) - Icewalker - 11 yes, 0 no
Petisphinx (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39124) - The Demented One - 16 yes, 3 no
Photosynthetic Template (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43134) - Fax Celestis - 7 yes, 0 no
Plant Symbiote (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40980) - Maerok - 8 yes, 1 no
Positrix (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48538) - Krimm_Blackleaf - 7 yes, 0 no
Preserved Zombie (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42999) - ringsnake - 11 yes, 0 no
Protective Spirit (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48647) - Bisected8 - 8 yes, 0 no
Pseudothreat (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48222) - Bisected8 - 11 yes, 0 no
Rainbow Crab (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39195) - Danu - 8 yes, 2 no
Reef Golem (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46496) - DragonTounge - 7 yes, 0 no
Regolith (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38992) - Icewalker - 13 yes, 1 no
Replicant (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39608) - The Demented One - 11 yes, 2 no
Royal Animal (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39196) - Danu - 13 yes, 2 no
Sandtrap Man-Eater Spider (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39767) - Icewalker - 16 yes, 2 no
Shardfiends (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2674920#post2674920) - Poppatomus - 7 yes, 0 no
Smokestack Beetle (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39126) - The Demented One - 11 yes, 0 no
Snowy Archon (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41079) - The Cowinator - 11 yes, 3 no
Spidaren (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49067) - Poppotamous - 7 yes, 0 no
Spirit Howler (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41627) - ShneekyTheLost - 9 yes, 1 no
Spring Golem (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49189) - Bob_the_mighty - 7 yes, 0 no
Ssolsch (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39172) - Icewalker - 10 yes, 3 no
Stationary Guardian (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41941) - Danu - 7 yes, 0 no
Stoakut (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40291) - Lord Iames - 7 yes, 0 no
Stonemen (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2724246&posted=1#post2724246) - KingGolem - 7 yes, 0 no
Storm Demon (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2657449#post2657449) - deadfalcon - 9 yes, 0 no
Storm Lord (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2675976&postcount=7) - deadfalcon - 9 yes, 0 no
Storm Ray (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2752136) - adanedhel9 - 8 yes, 0 no
Stymphalian Bird (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39693) - PhantomBread - 12 yes, 2 no
Sun Worshippers (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2703814&postcount=5) - Poppatomus - 7 yes, 0 no
Survaria Flower (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43132) - Fax Celestis - 7 yes, 0 no
Swamp Drake (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40799) - Scorpina - 13 yes, 2 no
Takatuq (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39196) - Danu - 12 yes, 4 no
Thunder Boar (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40713) - Angafirith - 16 yes, 2 no
Tikelen (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39621) - Maerok - 9 yes, 1 no
Tree Child (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49295) - Lakoda - 8 yes, 0 no
Truthspinners (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47438) - TheLogman - 8 yes, 0 no
The Venomfleshed (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47963) - Bisected8 - 9 yes, 0 no
Vitriol Hound (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39125) - The Demented One - 8 yes, 1 no
Watcher (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41952) - Icewalker - 9 yes, 0 no
Wickerthrall (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39160) - The Demented One - 8 yes, 1 no
Worldshaker (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2750483) - Maerok - 8 yes, 1 no
Wombwoe (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39607) - The Demented One - 15 yes, 1 no
Worm Golem (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42962) - deadfalcon - 8 yes, 1 no
Zhamach Trooper (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38991) - Lord Iames - 17 yes, 1 no
Zhamach Bodyguard (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38991) - Lord Iames - 17 yes, 1 no
Submitted

Amigara (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39605) - The Demented One - 8 yes, 7 no
Blood-Burning Swarm (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2723892#post2723892) - DragonTounge - 4 yes, 0 no
Bonekissed Creature (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2731337&postcount=21) - Gwyn_ap_nud - 5 yes, 1 no
Deeptunnel Rover (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2774476#post2774476) - LordOfNarf - 6 yes, 0 no
Dretanions (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39910) - Nightclaw - 2 yes, 4 no
Manequins (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2704936&postcount=7) - Gwyn_ap_Nud - 5 yes, 1 no
Manifestation (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39287) - ilovefire - 4 yes, 6 no
The Name and The Soul (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39587) - Khantalas - 7 yes, 17 no
Naxeto (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48807) - Anxe - 6 yes, 0 no
Sandborn (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2713573#post2713573) - Maerok - 3 yes, 1 no
Spreader (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2738310#post2738310) - DragonTounge - 1 yes, 0 no
Sun Devil (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46467) - stolenchariot - 5 yes, 0 no
Tenen (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46490) - Gwyn_ap_Nud - 5 yes, 1 no

Gralamin
2007-08-27, 02:37 AM
*A poster not involved takes a look at the list.*
You made a mistake with number 85's Author's name.

Also since I was bored, the following spoiler contains Statistics!
Blue = Most Creations
Orange = Highest yes/no AVG Difference
All Results have been rounded to the nearest whole number.
{table=head]Creator|Number of Creatures|% of Creations|AVG Yes|AVG No|AVG Difference
adanedhel9|3|3%|8|0|8
Angafirith|3|3%|12|1|11
ArmorArmadillo*|1|1%|14|2|12
Bisected8|3|3%|9|0|9
Bob_the_mighty|1|1%|7|0|7
Ceres|1|1%|9|0|9
Danu|11|10%|10|1|9
deadfalcon|3|3%|9|0|8
Destro Yersul|1|1%|8|0|8
DracoDei|1|1%|11|0|11
DragonTounge|2|2%|7|0|7
Faulkner Asiniti|1|1%|12|5|7
Fax Celestis|6|5%|8|1|8
Icewalker|13|12%|11|1|10
KingGolem|1|1%|7|0|7
Krimm_Blackleaf|1|1%|7|0|7
Lakoda|1|1%|8|0|8
Lord Iames*|7|6%|14|1|12
Maerok|10|9%|10|1|9
PhantomBread|1|1%|12|2|10
Poppatomus|7|6%|7|0|7
pyrefiend|1|1%|8|0|8
Rimx|1|1%|10|0|10
ringsnake|1|1%|11|0|11
Scorpina|4|4%|12|1|11
ShneekyTheLost|1|1%|9|1|8
stolenchariot|1|1%|8|1|7
TempusCCK|1|1%|11|1|10
The Cowinator|1|1%|11|3|8
The Demented One|15|13%|11|1|10
The Than|1|1%|11|2|9
TheEscapist|1|1%|7|0|7
TheLogman|2|2%|8|0|8
Umarth|1|1%|8|0|8
Vayr|2|2%|11|1|10
Zeta Kai|1|1%|18|7|11
Total|112|100%|354|34|320[/table]
*Iames Actually wins by .49, but that was rounded off.

Zeta Kai
2007-08-27, 05:30 AM
Alright, I wasn't going to say anything because it doesn't really matter, but since we're getting into statistics now, I have to point out an error in the listings. The Oaves do not have a vote of 18Yes/7No; they have a vote of 45Yes/11No. Some other entries haven't been truly updated in a while, either.

TheLogman
2007-08-27, 05:41 AM
A while ago, there was a statement made that after a point in time, nobody really wanted to keep track of these votes, since they were really of no consequence once your monster made it in. It's not that they made an error, its just it didn't matter how many yes votes you had once the monster was in the book.

Unless it matters to you, but that is another point entirely.

DracoDei
2007-08-27, 02:22 PM
I think I count 8 yes and 1 no for Giraffe-a-pump:
Yes:
Poppatomus (#10 in the thread) <This might be the one that got missed since he didn't bold it>
DragonTounge (#14)
Anxe(#16)
Matthew(#18)
Zeta Kai(#22)
Krimm_Blackleaf(#23)
Cybren(#24<wasn't bolded so might have been the one missed>, see also #25,#27, and #28)
Icewalker(#26)

The latest of these was made on 8/2/07 which I beleive was within the deadline.

No:
Lord Iames Osari(#19)

Lord Iames Osari
2007-08-27, 03:06 PM
ahh... That works as well. just an idea.

That is post #10, and it does not contain a vote of any kind.

Also, Logman is correct. After a certain point I stopped tallying the votes of those monsters that had been accepted.

DracoDei
2007-08-27, 03:37 PM
Ah... oops I stand corrected... should have been #6 not #10. Have double checked this and the others and I THINK I have it right this time around. Sorry for the confusion... although it might be said to simply prove how possible it is to make errors in such a SEEMINGLY simple task.

Lord Iames Osari
2007-08-27, 03:56 PM
My mistake.

Lord Iames Osari
2007-09-11, 10:10 PM
Okay, people. Let's get this thing back on track. Clearly, we're all too lazy to go rewrite our monsters left to our own devices, so I propose that we elect an Editor to go through and retype the monster entries so they're all nice and pretty and consistent.

I need a volunteer to count votes and volunteers/nominations for editor. Nominations will last until the 18th of September, 1 week from now.

I nominate myself to be editor. I also volunteer to count votes.

NakedCelt
2007-09-11, 10:27 PM
I nominate myself for editor — I edit a magazine for pay, so I guess you could call me a professional if only a part-time one.

TheLogman
2007-09-12, 05:28 AM
I vote for Lord Iames Osari.

BisectedBrioche
2007-09-12, 06:44 AM
I'd nominate myself but I've just started univercity so I don't have too much free time.

I vote for LIO though.

DragonTounge
2007-09-15, 08:36 PM
I also vote for Lord Iames Osari

DracoDei
2007-09-16, 08:08 PM
I have a few example creatures for my "Empty Skin" Template in the pipeline... might be a while before they get finished, but 99% chance they WILL get there. That still leaves the summary and standardization for both my submissions. Wouldn't complain too much with any assistance that would come my way with those.

AKA_Bait
2007-09-16, 08:21 PM
I also vote for Lord Iames Osari

Me too. And all that filled up space.

DracoDei
2007-09-17, 05:59 PM
Here is my first shot at the requested reformating, etc to create summary blocks for the Giraffe-a-pump... don't know how well it works... others should feel free to submit further edits for consideration.

Description:
You see what looks like a Giraffe.

Fluff:
Giraffe-a-pumps, also known as Living Fonts, Walking Oases, and Desert Rains, look like normal giraffes, although they generally do not travel alone (keeping either with a herd of their own kind or occasionally traveling with a mixed species group) and mate monogamously. They travel around providing extra water to good and neutral communities that need it. Although perfectly capable of grazing for their food, they enjoy salads, especially those that broccoli features prominently in as well as steamed carrots. Grateful communities will often provide these foods in return for the giraffe-a-pumps services. Although they require no payment for watering food crops, filling public cisterns or providing water for domesticated animals, they are often hired as living decorative fountains. Some groups have learned to vary the direction and intensity of their mouth jets in closely corrographed patterns, often as accompaniment to local favorite dancing songs. Some larger cities have individual giraffe-a-pumps paid to live in strategically located parks or buildings so as to be able to respond to fires. In times of severe drought, if they can spare the time from sustaining the local intelligent creatures, giraffe-a-pumps may try to quench the thirst of local wildlife. Giraffe-a-pumps have an especial affinity for children, placing emphasis on the importance of instilling good values early in life. For this reason they often will give youngsters rides as they make their local rounds, showing by example the importance of caring for others. Giraffe-a-pumps generally worship good-aligned gods with the Sun, Animal, Plant, and/or Water domains. It is rumored that powerful sorcerers among giraffe-a-pumps usually develop the ability to transmute their mouth jet to acid for short periods of time, but this is unconfirmed.
Giraffe-a-pumps are generally not directly aggressive. This is not out of any timidity or passivism but rather is a function of playing to their strengths. With the vital resource they can provide a giraffe-a-pump herd is rarely without allies and they are generally more valuable to whatever causes they champion by continuing to provide the services they do rather than via direct confrontation. This is not to say that they are unable fighters when the need comes. They know that many would try to alter their routes in there own favor (or to deny water to enemies), or even to capture them for their sole use. While such moves are likely to bring retaliation from other sentient species the giraffe-a-pumps do not wish to become mere pawns in power struggles. For this reason Giraffe-a-pump herds are generally lead by the individual with the greatest skill in interacting with other races. There will usually be 2 sub-leaders, one in charge of scouting and route selection between water delivery points and the other a lead-from-the-front type war-leader. Sometimes any of these three may be combined, the most common instances being scout-warcheif rangers and occasionally leader-warcheif aristocrats.

Giraffe-a-pumps speak Common.

Using this Monster:
Usually a random meeting with one or more Giraffe-a-pumps is going to be of no more plot shaping significance than running into a talkative traveling merchant. This does not NECESSARILY mean that it should be glossed over... understanding the way in which an otherwise parched region has enough agriculture to support high population densities is an interesting point, and certainly the concept is reasonably interesting. For these reasons the first encounter with them should perhaps be roleplayed out.

Usually a unfriendly (but perhaps apparently neutral) encounter at worst, even with obviously evil characters Giraffe-a-pumps are unlikely to do more than report the sighting at the earliest possible time to someone who will do something about it and/or warn people in general. The exception to this is destruction/violence involving continuing fire (so not fireballs alone, but burning villages, forest fires, ad other things they could put out). In this case Giraffe-a-pumps are prone to AT LEAST remain in the area to help with 'clean-up' and may even attack themselves.
Given their wide travels, Giraffe-a-pumps will probably have news and information, especially on travel routes, weather, agricultural goings on, mass movements of social races, etc. they will gladly share this information.

Plot Hooks
- Evil desert nomads have captured a giraffe-a-pump, thus freeing their most skilled raiding party from having to stop to take on water during hit-and-run raids and allowing them to use horses (instead of camels) more freely. The adventurers are hired to rescue it.
- A town is suffering a terrible drought. They hire the party to escort a willing girraffe-a-pump herd through the dangerous mountains that form the quickest path for the herd to come to the rescue.
- A clutch of wyrmling red dragons goes after a herd of giraffe-a-pumps after the giraffe-a-pumps put out one too many of the forest fires the dragons started for their own amusement.

Lord Iames Osari
2007-09-19, 09:23 PM
Guess I'm the one, then.

DragonTounge
2007-09-26, 09:41 AM
Congrats! (cheers)

Lord Iames Osari
2007-09-26, 10:10 PM
Well, I have now copied all your monsters to word documents, and shall begin the slow process of editing them to have consistent formatting. Some of you neglected to ever make mechanical corrections to your monsters, so I would like to ask Zherog if he would be willing, once I have made the formats consistent, to go through them all one more time.

Vaynor
2007-09-27, 06:49 AM
Well, I have now copied all your monsters to word documents, and shall begin the slow process of editing them to have consistent formatting. Some of you neglected to ever make mechanical corrections to your monsters, so I would like to ask Zherog if he would be willing, once I have made the formats consistent, to go through them all one more time.

I just made corrections to both of my monsters so make sure you have the correct newly updated versions. Mostly a lot of mechanical and formatting errors.

DracoDei
2007-09-27, 03:38 PM
I hope this doesn't stop people from trying to do their own editing(within limits) to save Iames work... announcing it in this thread is still good probably...

DragonTounge
2007-10-01, 08:56 PM
OK, I my now have a picture of my blood-burning crab (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2721415#post2721415) at my thread, just scroll to the bottom to find it.

DracoDei
2007-10-09, 05:45 PM
FINALLY decided to clarify the sensory abilities of the Giraffe-a-pump... Low-light Vision, NO Dark Vision.

Maerok
2007-10-10, 02:20 PM
ZOMG! We have enough acceptances! Yay! I've been away for a while. So flavor text now, etc., etc.? I'll get to work on fleshing what I've got.

TheLogman
2007-10-29, 10:01 PM
I assume all the other contributors got PM's as well, so here I go:

I think we should go with it. Lord Iames Osari's Press seems experienced, and has a connection to the forum and us. Plus, I'm sure everyone would take us a LOT more seriously if we published under an actual press than the online company we were going to go with. With someone who's "in the know", we have a greater chance of success, and can get everyone done faster and easier. However, before I do anything else, I'm gonna re-read the legalese, and answer in the morning.

For those not "in the know", PM's were sent to the contributors of MitP, with Lord Iames Osari telling us of a publishing company he is involved with who is willing to publish our stuff.

Lord Iames Osari
2007-10-29, 11:09 PM
To clarify a few things:

Only contributors who got a monster accepted were PMed, since you're the ones who'd be getting their work published.

And, in the interests of full disclosure, Victorious Press is a brand-new company, and it was founded by Fax Celestis, not me. Our members are individually experienced and talented homebrewers ( if I do say so myself), but as a company, we do not yet have any published products under our collective belt. Assuming enough of you accept, MitP will be our first.

The reason we made the offer was threefold: One, this project is almost finished as it is now; all we would need to do would be to edit all the monster entries for consistent formatting and consolidate them into a single document; two, publishing it, even giving 50% of the sales proceeds to Giant in the Playground, will provide us with some venture capital to work with; and three, it will let you fine people finally see your names in print. Think how that will look on a resume. It's win-win-win, as far as I can see, and may be the best way to get this project off the runway and into the air at last.

TheLogman
2007-10-30, 11:11 AM
I have a friend who was interested in doing some art, what's the cut-off date for art, changes to monsters, ect.?

Lord Iames Osari
2007-10-30, 04:53 PM
We'll decide that if and when enough of you agree to the terms in the PM.

DracoDei
2007-11-04, 08:38 PM
Ok, after talking with Lord Iames Osari we have worked out that Victory Press will not be publishing The Giraffe-a-pump*, but will instead be including the Gut Snakes and Hopping Stomachs in the project. For me, this allows me to do right by the project AND see more of my work in print.

*My decision to pull it since I really felt like, YES, I DID have to be THAT protective of the name, since it isn't precisely mine, and my mom doesn't want to be bothered with it, and besides I think I know what she would say.

P.S. Is the free pdf of the final product still going to be a go? Or is it going to be restricted access in some way (like only to registered posters in good standing in these forums with a certain minimum number of posts)? Or since this is going commercial, is that not going to be happening? In any case I think artists donating art to the project should post their finished work on the individual threads and/or this thread. Art commissioned (as in, paid for) by Victory Press (if any) is a bit more tenuous of an issue...

Lord Iames Osari
2007-11-04, 08:50 PM
Ok, after talking with Lord Iames Osari we have worked out that Victory Press will not be publishing The Giraffe-a-pump*, but will instead be including the Gut Snakes and Hopping Stomachs in the project. For me, this allows me to do right by the project AND see more of my work in print.

Keep this in mind, folks. We're not offering you a non-negotiable deal. If you don't like certain specific provisions, you can negotiate with us.

P.S. Is the free pdf of the final product still going to be a go? Or is it going to be restricted access in some way (like only to registered posters in good standing in these forums with a certain minimum number of posts)? Or since this is going commercial, is that not going to be happening? In any case I think artists donating art to the project should post their finished work on the individual threads and/or this thread. Art commissioned (as in, paid for) by Victory Press (if any) is a bit more tenuous of an issue...

I honestly don't know. At this point, I'd say that we may decide to offer free pdfs of the final product to the contributors, but it's not something we've really discussed yet. *goes off to post about it in the VP forums*

Lord Iames Osari
2007-11-08, 11:20 PM
Okay, the other guys at VP have expressed concerns over the legality of only a majority of you having to agree to the terms. We have 17 yeas already, now we need 19 more. Keep in mind that the terms are negotiable.

DracoDei
2007-11-09, 09:15 AM
Okay, the other guys at VP have expressed concerns over the legality of only a majority of you having to agree to the terms. We have 17 yeas already, now we need 19 more. Keep in mind that the terms are negotiable.

Ugh... has anyone taken the time to choeck when the last time was that each contributor logged in was? If it has been over 2 months for any of them they may have left the board in which case the entries might need to be dropped... and the entry process MIGHT even need to be opened up again to make up a decent page-count... I dunno... I may be teaching my Grandmother to suck eggs here, but it can't hurt to mention.

Lord Iames Osari
2007-11-09, 01:06 PM
I'll be going through that later today.

I'm hoping that they've simply become distracted by school or what-have-you, and will return soon.

deadfalcon
2007-11-11, 09:32 AM
Morning all, sorry about the delay onmy response but work has pretty much consumed most of my free time. you have a go ahead from me and I can assure that my material is not infingeing copyright. And I'm also afraid that I will be absent for a while yet, untill christmas is over and my hours go back down to normal.

on the subject of reopening the project if we cant get anough people to say yea to the proposal, I'm up for it, but I should be done so if people retern to the board later and then say that they are ok with their material being used they should automatically qaulify. or something along those lines.

Edit:may i appologise for my bad grammar and spelling, I'm very tired

Bob_the_Mighty
2007-11-13, 10:01 PM
Yes, I have been distracted by the beginning of the school year. I'll try to get some work done on this project, but I don't have a lot of experience with this stuff.

DragonTounge
2007-11-15, 11:18 PM
Reef Golem Ecology

Description: The reef golem stands about 12ft. tall and weighs 2,500 pounds. It’s shaped roughly humanoid; it has two arms, two legs, and a head. The golem’s entire body is composed of red coral, and soft, rotting wood. The wood and coral sticks out at odd angels threatening to cut anyone who gets too close. It has pieces of splintered wood sticking out of its back. Whenever attacked, a large amount of white brittle foams out of its mouth and hardens over its body, creating additional armor.

Fluff Text: Players can also construct a reef golem of there own. A reef golems body must be make from 2,000 pounds of red coral and 250 pounds of wood from some sort of shipwreck. Assembly requires a DC 20 craft (sculpting) check. CL 14th; craft construct, antimagic field, mage armor, symbol of pain, animate object, resurrection. Price: 85,000gp, Price: 42,500gp + 3,000xp. The reef golem will only listen to the person who created it. However this requires the following things: Another important thing to remember is that every time the reef golem enters combat out of water there’s a 3% chance it will fly into a berserk rage where it attacks every living thing it sees. The reef golem also fly’s into a frenzy if the person who created it is killed. When the reef golem is in a berserk rage choose who it attacks randomly every round.

If destroyed, a reef golem can be regrown into another reef golem. As long as the original reef golem isn’t completely destroyed or disintegrated and the remaining pieces are placed in salt water it will begin to regrow. The process of a destroyed reef golem regrowing takes 6 years. During this time the regrowing golem is treated as a object with 5hp and a hardness of 12. Destroying the regrowing golem will stop the process permanently.

Using This Monster: The reef golem is best used for sea faring adventures. The reef golem functions best in the sea, so that’s where it’s most likely encountered. The reef golem is usually controlled by medium level wizard. While the golems have no intelligence score they do know to take advantage of its strength of the ocean ability. If it sees a pool of water it will usually attempt to bull rush foes into the water, where it will be more powerful. The golem also usually attempts to stay out of fresh water, knowing it will weaken him.

However, every once in a while adventurers might encounter a berserking reef golem. These golems use no strategy and simply attack the first living thing seen whether it be an adventurer, a horse, or a deer. The crazed golems will willingly charge straight into fresh water to attack someone, even when a better target presents itself.

Here's the Reef Golem ecology, if your still accepting it.

Lord Iames Osari
2007-11-16, 12:25 AM
Yes, thank you.

pyrefiend
2007-11-18, 08:19 PM
ugh, got caught up with school for a while... anyway, here's the cerebral inferno ecology.

Cerebral Inferno

Description: A cerebral inferno's form constantly shifts and fluctuates, but on average it is about 8 feet tall. They are the pure embodiment of psionic chaos, and their form reflects that. They constantly change shape, though they generally are still composed of blue fire. Strange, inconstant energy emanates from the inferno, and the entire being is often cloaked in lightning or other obvious displays of energy, but only for an instant. Such effects often also cover the area that is under the influence of the inferno's deception aura. Ever-shifting patterns play across the beings' surface, merging with the chaotic movements of the flames themselves.

Fluff: Cerebral infernos are exceptionally intelligent and very much evil, but they do not plot or scheme against foes. They are not evil for their own sake, but instead they simply do not worry about the loss of life and damage they cause in their wake. Cerebral infernos spend most of their time sewing chaos by moving into highly populated areas and using their deception aura and mindfire blast to panic and confuse people. Thus, they are always of immediate concern wherever they are found.Though they create physical harm wherever they go, they prefer to warp and destroy minds, and the amount of raving madmen cerebral infernos generate make it obvious where they have been. When an inferno isn't actively killing and destroying, it is finding a way to do so. Many are imprisoned by powerful magic, but cerebral infernos are exceptionally clever and often escape these bonds.

Using this monster: There are two likely encounters with a cerebral inferno. Either the creature has already found it's way to a city or similarly populated area, or it is locked away somewhere and is attempting to escape. In the first instance, the cerebral inferno attempts to destroy the PC's only when it becomes obvious that it cannot continue it's crusade without killing them. Until it realizes this, it randomly targets civilians and intelligent creatures with it's deception aura and mindfire blast. When it attacks the PCs, it does the same thing, but focuses all it's attacks on it's immediate foes. A cerebral inferno that has escaped it's prison and is attempting to escape is far more interested in doing so than killing PCs. In such a case, adventurers are more likely to be trying to stop the inferno before it can escape than destroying it in one simple confrontation.

Lord Iames Osari
2007-11-18, 08:37 PM
Pyrefiend, please check your PMs.

TempusCCK
2007-11-19, 01:12 PM
Can I please get a link to the original thread that was stickied for this, my version saved o fmy monster is not the same as the version here on the forums and I would like to update it all.

So if I can get a link to my last post of this or just a direct link to my thread, that'd be great.

Lord Iames Osari
2007-11-19, 07:44 PM
Can I please get a link to the original thread that was stickied for this, my version saved o fmy monster is not the same as the version here on the forums and I would like to update it all.

So if I can get a link to my last post of this or just a direct link to my thread, that'd be great.

Here you go, your Giant Cockroach. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39028)

TempusCCK
2007-11-19, 09:47 PM
Thank you kindly sir.

Lord Iames Osari
2007-11-25, 06:41 PM
Okay, VP now has acceptances for 100 monsters. We will begin work on editing them shortly.

These people need to give me a definitive answer to the proposal:
Angafirith and Bob_the_mighty.

These people have not gotten back to me at all, and as a result, their work will not be included:
Ceres, PhantomBread, ringsnake, ShneekeyTheLost, The_Cowinator, and Zeta Kai.

If anyone knows how to contact them, please do so and tell them to log onm read my offer, and respond.

Whichever of you wants to be published under a pseudonym (I can't recall who it was atm), please make your decision and PM me with it.

BisectedBrioche
2007-11-25, 07:03 PM
I can't wait to see hwo this turns out. :smallsmile:

TheEscapist
2007-12-01, 01:57 PM
I like to think that my Herald of the End already has all of the flavor text/ecology/etc set up, but if it's lacking at all I would be more than willing to make adjustments, please just let me know. Also, I should be able to have a picture for the Herald ready within the next couple of days.

Also, I wasn't sure (I was just skimming the thread because I haven't been on GitP forums in a while and didn't bother reading everything in detail), but was it said that we could still take votes for new entries? If so, I'd like to submit my Melakhaunthet creature (viewable via a link in my sig). At the risk of sounding egotistical, I really feel that it deserves to be published.

Lord Iames Osari
2007-12-01, 09:36 PM
Sorry, TheEscapist, but we aren't accepting new entries.

Tormsskull
2007-12-17, 02:27 PM
Hmm, I got away from this for a while, but just started reading up on it. I remember in the very beginning when FC said the whole point of this was just to get a monster published, and that the product would be available as a free download.

Now with the interjection of this publishing company that you guys have put together, I have to wonder how that all aligns? If this is a for-profit venture, I wonder if it is even GitP-acceptable? And even if it is, by having the moderators sticky this thread, does that constitute an endorsement by GitP of this project or this publishing company?

I'll be interested to see a moderator response.

TheLogman
2007-12-17, 02:31 PM
I suggest a sort of solution.

Perhaps allow it as a free Pfd, and sell the books, but have all the profits except exactly enough to break even go to this site. That way, you don't loose anything, we all get published, and the site gets some cash.

I wanna know what the bosses, Fax himself, and the Giant have to say about this.

Lord Iames Osari
2007-12-17, 03:47 PM
Victorious Press is a for-profit venture. MitP will be offered as a free download to the contributors, or as a printed copy for cost of printing. It will be available for sale to others, both digitally and in print, at some price yet to be determined. Any and all profits made from those sales will be split between VP and GitP.

At least, that how I pitched the idea to the others when I suggested adopting MitP, and I can't recall it being changed in any way during the discussion.

ShneekeyTheLost
2007-12-21, 04:19 PM
Jeez... sorry I've been away so long, had some RL issues and stuff, but I'm back now.

Lord James Osari, expect a PM soonest.

Lord Iames Osari
2007-12-21, 04:48 PM
As I just told Shneekey in my response, there are some legal issues regarding the agreement I sent you all, so there will be another contract sent out as soon as we have resolved those issues. Sorry for the inconvenience and the wait on this. :smallfrown: I was hoping to get this out quickly, but it looks like that isn't going to be the case.

DracoDei
2008-01-17, 05:07 AM
An artist friend of mine has said she will be drawing pictures of an Empty Skin, and perhaps a Gut Snake or two, and one or more Hopping Stomachs. She is willing to have her work included as illustrations in the book I believe.

Geno9999
2008-02-02, 07:10 PM
Killer Doll

Description: A doll made by dark arts, it is a dangerous being that hides itself as a common children's toy, waiting to attack when their back is turned.
The types of dolls and the material used to create them varies. There are mage dolls that can cast spells and buffs, the fighter dolls are powerful at melee combat, the gun dolls are walking machine guns, and the like.

Use: The items for the spell to summon them are common, thus, can be common underlings or terrorizing beings of the Villain. The dolls can have low hp for easy exp or hardened beings of the dark arts for later, harder battles.

Stats: Varies

Lord Iames Osari
2008-02-02, 10:35 PM
Killer Doll

Description: A doll made by dark arts, it is a dangerous being that hides itself as a common children's toy, waiting to attack when their back is turned.
The types of dolls and the material used to create them varies. There are mage dolls that can cast spells and buffs, the fighter dolls are powerful at melee combat, the gun dolls are walking machine guns, and the like.

Use: The items for the spell to summon them are common, thus, can be common underlings or terrorizing beings of the Villain. The dolls can have low hp for easy exp or hardened beings of the dark arts for later, harder battles.

Stats: Varies

Uh... what is this for?

DracoDei
2008-02-03, 03:10 PM
An artist friend of mine has said she will be drawing pictures of an Empty Skin, and perhaps a Gut Snake or two, and one or more Hopping Stomachs. She is willing to have her work included as illustrations in the book I believe.
She has the linework done for the Empty Skin and the Gut Snake, has to color them in now. She won't be doing Hopping Stomachs. There will be a lag after she is done while she mails it to someone with a scanner, they e-mail it to me, and I send it to who-ever I need to (if anyone).

Duke of URL
2008-03-21, 12:26 PM
Just a note, we are recruiting staff artists at VP right now (see my signature), so if DracoDei's artist friend wants to apply -- or anyone else for that matter -- please come visit us and post some samples!

Bob_the_Mighty
2008-08-30, 03:55 PM
Hey, is there any news on how this is goin so far or anything?

Lord Iames Osari
2008-08-30, 06:31 PM
Ok, you know how fast a glacier moves?

Imagine something about half as fast as that, and that's how fast we're progressing.

Icewalker
2008-08-30, 10:36 PM
That is...infinitely better than how I thought it was going.

Good to hear.

:smallbiggrin:

Lord Iames Osari
2008-08-31, 12:46 AM
To be completely honest, we've been focussing on non-MitP stuff for a while, but we'll get around to it eventually.

Icewalker
2008-08-31, 02:48 AM
I was worried Victorious Press just wasn't really doing anything. Haven't seen anything of Fax for a while now...

Hows the Ouroboros campaign coming along? That sounded awesome.

Lord Iames Osari
2008-08-31, 10:45 AM
Well, Fax is gone.

The Ouroborous Mentality 1: The Festering Hall awaits only artwork, and then it will be available as a free download. Available for a small price will be the several appendices of extra content that contain game information about the new monster subtype we introduce in the adventure, options from the upcoming Variants Handbook to revitalize your 3.5 gameplay, and more.

The Ouroborous Mentality 2: The One-Eyed Kingpin is still in the process of being fleshed out into a full adventure.

Duke of URL
2008-09-17, 01:03 PM
I was worried Victorious Press just wasn't really doing anything. Haven't seen anything of Fax for a while now...

Fax has gone on to different things, but there's a group of us remaining and working on several projects (unlike MitP, we don't have to wait to get legal releases from our internal team :smallcool:)

In addition to the Ouroboros campaign, we're also working on a series based on Fax's "Ten Thousand Days" scenario/setting (with his permission), "The Variants Handbook" (which contains new and variant rules for 3.5), and my current obsession, a re-imagining of invokers tentatively titled "Invocation Magic". Mostly, we just need art work, some more playtesting, and the resulting tweaking. (Invocation Magic is the least complete, but shaping up nicely.)

There a few other projects simmering on the back burners, too.

Any dedicated homebrewer/designer/artist/playtester who wants to join up should sign up to our forums and get in touch with us, preferably with samples.

Tormsskull
2008-09-17, 01:10 PM
Maybe its time for Monsters in the Playground, Take III, Phase I. As far as I am aware, as long as this is going to be a free product (as was initially determined to be), I don't think legal releases are needed.

So if people are interested in going forward with this, I could start dropping all the entries into a database, set up a template, create a report of the info in proper structure, and then turn it into a .pdf.

Lord Iames Osari
2008-09-17, 01:13 PM
Just to clarify, though, you need to be 18 or older and at least have residency in the USA, simply because of legal issues - 18 being the legal age of adulthood here in the states, and residency in the US because we don't want to have to deal with the legal ramifications of a different country's intellectual property laws, certainly not until we're better established and can summon and bind some lawyers to help us. :smallwink:

Tormsskull
2008-09-17, 01:30 PM
I'm talking about doing it freelance. I'm not up on you guys' press company and not interested in joining it and such. I'm saying that if the people involved in this project want to move ahead with it, perhaps its time to restructure/reorganize.

As far as requiring the 18 years old and/or not outside of the USA, I don't think that is a problem with a free publication. Whoever acts as the publisher would only have to worry if someone else claimed to be the original designer of a monster that someone else submitted.

In the very worst case scenario, the publishing company would receive a cease & desist letter and would be required to pull a specific entry from the collection.

AKA_Bait
2008-09-17, 01:43 PM
As far as requiring the 18 years old and/or not outside of the USA, I don't think that is a problem with a free publication. Whoever acts as the publisher would only have to worry if someone else claimed to be the original designer of a monster that someone else submitted.

The publisher would still need permissions. Regardless of if IP is reproduced and distributed for profit or not, you still legally need permission of the author to distribute the IP in the USA. In the case of people under the age of 18 you would need their parents permission or their parents could sue you and or force you to stop distribution/destroy any existing copies.

In the very worst case scenario, the publishing company would receive a cease & desist letter and would be required to pull a specific entry from the collection.

In the very worst case a process server would arrive at your door and serve you with a summons and complaint for a case filed in federal court demanding lost revinue as well as an injunction against your continued use of the IP.

Tormsskull
2008-09-17, 02:00 PM
The publisher would still need permissions. Regardless of if IP is reproduced and distributed for profit or not, you still legally need permission of the author to distribute the IP in the USA.

Understandable. If someone posts with a username here, saying that they want to be included into a project, along with giving their created monster, that's giving permission. Assuming many/most people agree, I could complie all of this information and then PM each person for their permission. Fairly simple process.

In the case of people under the age of 18 you would need their parents permission or their parents could sue you and or force you to stop distribution/destroy any existing copies.

Right, which in the case of a free electronic document = removing it from a self-publishing site. Its incredibly simple to "destroy exisiting" copies of a free electronic document. Once you've 'destroyed' the offending content, you could relist the original document sans offending content.

In the very worst case a process server would arrive at your door and serve you with a summons and complaint for a case filed in federal court demanding lost revinue as well as an injunction against your continued use of the IP.

I would not be detered by this in the slightest, for a couple of reasons.

1.) We're talking about a free electronic document for a niche hobby. Its very unlikely to cause problems in the first place. Not to mention that by not forcing someone to sign a contract and not forcing someone to affiliate with a specific company, they are free to do whatever they want with their orginal content. If at sometime down the road they want their content pulled from the electronic document, they simply have to ask.

2.) If a person acting as a publisher is an LLC, their personal assets are held separate from the company's assets. If a LLC were fined $1,000,000 for lost revenue, an LLC can claim bankruptcy, dissolve, and the owner of the LLC doesn't risk their personal assets.

Im my eyes, you guys turned this from what it was intially supposed to be (a way for a homebrewer to get their name out there) into something way too formal and official. I'd love to see it get back to what it was initially supposed to be, and I'm willing to donate quite a bit of time to make that happen if those who have submitted their monsters are interested.

Duke of URL
2008-09-17, 02:29 PM
Let's be clear here... no one is being forced into anything. The "formalities" are the result of the group decision to try and sell the compilation in order to raise money for the GitP site, which is when VP stepped in and offered to handle the publishing.

Whenever money is involved, things always get trickier.

AKA_Bait
2008-09-17, 02:51 PM
Im my eyes, you guys turned this from what it was intially supposed to be (a way for a homebrewer to get their name out there) into something way too formal and official. I'd love to see it get back to what it was initially supposed to be, and I'm willing to donate quite a bit of time to make that happen if those who have submitted their monsters are interested.

Look, as it stands now no one is legally comitted to publish through VP. Yes, we did make it a more formal and offical thing than the original project seemed to be aimed at. No, I'm not going to parse through all the reasons for that. Frankly, it's probably fair to say that a substantial part of the reason it got more complicated and offical was my influence. So, if folks are looking to get ancy at any people, feel free to direct that my way. For the record, I don't regret urging substantial legal caution on the part of VP or generally for others.

Of your two reasons not to be worried the real one is the second (since the first doesn't deal with actually having been sued for a dollar amount) and, for you, that might be just fine. Your second reason is that the company can just fold and the individuals backing it will not be held personally liable. That's usually true and may be true in this case. I hope never to have to find out.

However, as you probably understand, VP isn't looking to be at risk of having to fold up the company (once we are a company) because of getting sued. Corporations are required to appear with counsel, they cannot appear pro se. So, for any LLC just starting out and with limited funds just getting sued could mean the dissoloution of the company. The litigation costs alone could do a small group in.

Much, much trickier.

Tormsskull
2008-09-17, 03:00 PM
Look, as it stands now no one is legally comitted to publish through VP.

I am fully aware of that. I wouldn't be suggesting we publish freelance if I thought I was suggesting violating laws.

Yes, we did make it a more formal and offical thing than the original project seemed to be aimed at. Frankly, it's probably fair to say that a substantial part of that was my influence. So, if folks are looking to get ancy any people, feel free to direct that my way. For the record, I don't regret urging substantial legal caution on the part of VP or generally.

lol. I'm sure urging substantial legal caution is a good idea for publishing it through your press company. I'm suggesting not doing that. I was stating that in its orginal form, this project had nothing to do with your press company. And I was further stating that if people wanted to get back to that format, I'd be willing to help out.

However, as you probably understand, VP isn't looking to be at risk of having to fold up the company (once we are a company) because of getting sued.

Understandable. Once again, not suggesting this under the pretense of publishing through your press company.

Corporations are required to appear with counsel, they cannot appear pro se. So, for any LLC just starting out and with limited funds just getting sued could mean the dissoloution of the company. The litigation costs alone could do a small group in.

Luckily, LLCs aren't corporations. I'm not a lawyer, so I cannot say for sure that they are allowed to appear without counsel, but that is my understanding. Once again, not that it makes much of a difference, because I am not trying to suggest that you follow the advice of some guy on the internet for your company. I'm suggesting we get back to an informal format.

Much, much trickier.

Agreed 100%. Which is one of the reasons I am suggesting we go back to the old format.

AKA_Bait
2008-09-17, 03:33 PM
Luckily, LLCs aren't corporations.

Yes they are. They have different rules and requirements from a regular corporation but they are a Limited Liablity Corporation (LLC). The rules for them vary from state to state, in some states (like NY) they need to be a subsidiary of a regular corporation, but the rules for appearance in a Federal Court are the same nationwide. They cannot appear without counsel for the same reason that regular corporations cannot, the corporation is its own legal 'person' distinct from any of its employees and by dint of not actually being a person with a body and a voice cannot appear in its own defense. I'm not a lawyer, but I work in the legal field and I have had it come up. Take my word for it.

I'm suggesting we get back to an informal format.

My initial response above was a caution to you, since you volunteered to do the distribution. It is the same one I would have voiced in the earlier stages of the project had I been involved at that point. Follow it or not, thats up to you. I, personally, would never do it in that informal way for a lot of reasons and not just the legal ones.

My second response was because I was a little set off by the 'you guys'. It seemed accusatory and, frankly, I didn't like that.

I'm sure urging substantial legal caution is a good idea for publishing it through your press company.

I also urge substantial legal caution to other people on these forums as well as my friends. It's not a company thing here, other than my specific explanation as relates to VP, it's a general not wanting people I know or at least internet know getting sued thing.

Tormsskull
2008-09-17, 03:39 PM
Yes they are. They have different rules and requirements from a regular corporation but they are a Limited Liablity Corporation (LLC).

An LLC is a Limited Liability Company. Before my current job I used to manage an LLC.

Perhaps we're talking about different things?

My second response was because I was a little set off by the 'you guys'. It seemed accusatory and, frankly, I didn't like that.

I was personally put off by the PMs to only those contributors back when your press company 'took over' the MitP project. It seemed real shady to me, and frankly I'm surprised that the moderators of the boards allowed it.

I also urge substantial legal caution to other people on these forums as well as my friends. It's not a company thing here, other than my specific explanation as relates to VP, it's a general not wanting people I know or at least internet know getting sued thing.

Ok, thanks for your input then.

AKA_Bait
2008-09-17, 04:06 PM
Perhaps we're talking about different things?

No, you are right about the acronym. My mistake. I think of it as a corporation because it is treated as one for liability, representation, and depending upon the state, tax purposes.

I was personally put off by the PMs to only those contributors back when your press company 'took over' the MitP project. It seemed real shady to me, and frankly I'm surprised that the moderators of the boards allowed it.

I apologize if that seemed shady. It was certianly not our intention to seem so. It just didn't seem like a good idea to post a draft legal agreement on the boards. It was, and still is, our intention to do our best to see the MitP project through to fruition. We didn't take on the project with any realistic expectation of profit and certianly didn't want anyone to feel as though we were attempting to pull a fast one.

If we do anything that seems shady in the future, please contact us and let us know. We don't behave that way and we don't want to seem as though we are.

Tormsskull
2008-09-18, 06:14 AM
No, you are right about the acronym. My mistake.

Happens to the best of us.

We didn't take on the project with any realistic expectation of profit and certianly didn't want anyone to feel as though we were attempting to pull a fast one.

Well, since we're sharing advice then, might I recommend operating openly in this kind of a case? You don't have to post any kind of legal agreement, but stating that you are intending on 'adopting' a project and would like everyone involved in the project to sign onto your 3rd party company in a public manner seems much more above the board than sending private messages.

If we do anything that seems shady in the future, please contact us and let us know. We don't behave that way and we don't want to seem as though we are.

If I sign on to work with a project that somehow has ties to your press company I will keep this in mind.

Ok, now that all that drama is over. Here is what I suggest. I am going to create a database with what should be needed to pull this project off. I'll use one of my own creations as an example to show you all what the format will look like when it is complete.

Once that's all set, if you are interested in having a monster listed in such a database, you just have to let me know somehow, and get me the information. I'll plug in everyone's info and then start PMing the people who were involved in this project to make sure they get a chance.

This will be a free .pdf document. It will eventually be hosted on lulu.com or a like site. If anyone is interested in helping get this ball rolling, I am sure there will be a lot of work to go round. I'll also contact some posters of these boards who have a solid reputation as homebrewers/rules lawyers, and see if I can steal some of their time for this project.

If you submit a monster to this project, you still retain full rights to your creation and you can ask that it be removed from the final .pdf document at anytime. You can do so either by PMing me here, or once we are much closer to the end of this project I'll provide the contributors with my e-mail address which they can also use to contact me about editions/changes/modifications that need to be made.

Ok, if anyone has any suggestions or what not, I'd love to hear them. This project (MitP) initially started early 2007 IIRC, and we really haven't gotten anywhere with it. If you want to get this ball rolling, let me know.

Zeta Kai
2008-09-22, 12:17 PM
Well, I was on sabbatical for a while, & when I returned, I learned that the Oaves (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2216051), which were initially accepted to MITP2, were removed because I wasn't around to sign some release form. Well, I'm back obviously, & am now willing to sign anything you want. The Oaves are complete, ready to go, & can be edited down as much as you like.

Zeta Kai
2009-03-18, 07:23 PM
Considering that the last comment in this thread was from me about SIX MONTHS AGO, I think that it's safe to say this project is dead, & therefore should be un-stickied.