Spectre9000
2017-01-29, 06:52 PM
Stormhammer
Conjuration Cantrip
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: Self
Components: V, S
Duration: Instantaneous

You conjure a storm that solidifies into a weapon. This weapon can take the form of a Warhammer or Maul which you choose upon casting. It has all the properties of the weapon whose shape it takes, except that it deals 3d4 Thunder damage. This weapon lasts until it is dismissed as a free action, or if it leaves your hands. If you cast this spell more than twice, the first Stormhammer conjured dissipates.

This is on the Cleric, Wizard, and Sorcerer spell list.

Thoughts?

Ziegander
2017-01-29, 07:08 PM
Seems to belong on the Druid spell list much more than the Wizard's.

Anyway, with no ability modifier to damage, I see no reason why anyone would want to take this. It's not a spell attack, so you still have to use your Strength to attack with it, and it deals basically the same amount of damage as a regular weapon just as thunder damage. It offers no special effect and it doesn't scale.

Dealing 3d4 thunder damage as a one-handed melee weapon attack isn't the worst thing in the world (7.5 average damage compares favorably to the 1d8+3 you might be dealing with a normal warhammer), but it's pretty lame as a two-handed weapon (why can you fashion this into a maul when the warhammer version is one-handed and deals the same damage?).

Spectre9000
2017-01-29, 07:26 PM
Seems to belong on the Druid spell list much more than the Wizard's.

Anyway, with no ability modifier to damage, I see no reason why anyone would want to take this. It's not a spell attack, so you still have to use your Strength to attack with it, and it deals basically the same amount of damage as a regular weapon just as thunder damage. It offers no special effect and it doesn't scale.

Dealing 3d4 thunder damage as a one-handed melee weapon attack isn't the worst thing in the world (7.5 average damage compares favorably to the 1d8+3 you might be dealing with a normal warhammer), but it's pretty lame as a two-handed weapon (why can you fashion this into a maul when the warhammer version is one-handed and deals the same damage?).

You would use a Maul in the event you wanted to use GWF and GWM. It scales with Extra Attacks, and gives the option for a more melee caster. I think it's probably a little underpowered, especially when you start considering magic weapons, but I wanted to start small and work up.

DracoKnight
2017-01-30, 09:40 PM
Stormhammer
Conjuration Cantrip
Casting Time: 1 action
Duration: Instantaneous

You conjure a storm that solidifies into a weapon. This weapon can take the form of a Warhammer or Maul which you choose upon casting. It has all the properties of the weapon whose shape it takes, except that it deals 3d4 Thunder damage. This weapon lasts until it is dismissed as a free action, or if it leaves your hands. If you cast this spell more than twice, the first Stormhammer conjured dissipates.

This is on the Cleric, Wizard, and Sorcerer spell list.

Thoughts?

Here's how I would do it:

Stormhammer
Conjuration Cantrip
Casting Time: 1 bonus action
Duration: 1 minute

You conjure a storm that solidifies into a warhammer or maul, chosen when you cast the spell. The weapon you conjure deals thunder damage and lasts for the duration. When you make a melee weapon attack with this weapon you can use your spellcasting ability instead of your Strength modifier.
At Higher Leveles. You can make two attacks with your stormhammer starting at 5th level, three attacks at 11th level, and four attacks at 17th level. You can make your attacks against the same creature or different creatures, making a separate attack roll for each.

And I'd make it cleric, druid, and sorcerer for the spell lists.

Flashy
2017-01-30, 09:56 PM
At Higher Leveles. You can make two attacks with your stormhammer starting at 5th level, three attacks at 11th level, and four attacks at 17th level. You can make your attacks against the same creature or different creatures, making a separate attack roll for each.

And I'd make it cleric, druid, and sorcerer for the spell lists.

I'd object to this part. You shouldn't be able to add Fighter extra attack scaling to every class in the game with either a cantrip pick or the magic initiate feat. Shillelagh doesn't scale, why should this?

Ziegander
2017-01-30, 10:36 PM
Agreed. Shillelagh is already really good. You just turned Stormhammer into Mega Mighty Shillelagh Wallop. Definitely unbalanced.

DracoKnight
2017-01-30, 11:54 PM
I'd object to this part. You shouldn't be able to add Fighter extra attack scaling to every class in the game with either a cantrip pick or the magic initiate feat. Shillelagh doesn't scale, why should this?

Agreed. Shillelagh is already really good. You just turned Stormhammer into Mega Mighty Shillelagh Wallop. Definitely unbalanced.

Yeah, probably a bad idea. So I'd prpbably leave it at one native attack (but compatible with Extra Attack) like shillelagh and allow it to use your choice of Strength or spellcasting ability. I could actually see this being a lot of fun on a Fighter/Cleric multiclass.