PDA

View Full Version : The Itzchari [MITP II]

nathkry
2007-07-20, 08:44 PM
Here I present my own contribution to Monsters in the Playgroun (II), the Itzchari. They are a strange group of electrically aligned floating jellyfish-like creatures.

They are not quite finished and I need a challenge rating but I am aiming for cr 3. Any help, tips, or constructive criticism would be appreciated. All changes and updates to the stat block or poll will be made to this post.

Itzchari
Small Aberration (Air)
Hit Dice: 3d8-3 (10 hp)
Initiative: +7
Speed: 5 ft., Fly 20 ft. (perfect)
Armor Class: 16 (+1 size, +3 dex, +2 natural)
Base Attack/Grapple: +2/-5
Attack: Sting +6 melee (1d3-3+1d6 electricity)
Full Attack: 2 stings +6 melee (1d3-3+1d6 electricity)
Space/Reach: 5 ft. by 5 ft./ 5 ft.
Special Attacks: Conductive body, gas cloud, spell-like abilities
Special Qualities: Blindsight 30 ft., electricity immunity, electronimbus, float, aberration traits
Saves: Fort +0,1, Reflex +4, Will +4
Abilities: Str 5, Dex 17, Con 8, Int 12, Wis 15, Cha 7
Skills: Hide +9, Listen +8, Spot +8
Feats: Weapon finesse, improved initiative
Environment: Underground
Organization: Solitary, pair, clutch (3-5), brood (6-13)
Challenge Rating: ???
Treasure: ˝ standard
Alignment: Usually neutral
Advancement: 4-5 HD (Small), 6-9 (Medium)
Level Adjustment: -

Before you stands - no, floats- a strange organism resembling a jellyfish, although much larger. Approximately three and a half feet tall, this strange creature is a foul, pus yellow colour, with bulbous green sacs periodically erupting from its fleshy, circular body. Small arcs of electricity reach lazily from its many thin tentacles, probing the nearby ground. Sensing you, it turns, and lightning splays across its body a moment before a globe of impenetrable darkness appears, obscuring it from view.

Itzchari are electricity-infused aberrations that reside in caverns and underground vaults, and can be found in relatively large groups in the Underdark. Although their origin is unknown, magic is the most likely culprit. They are intelligent, and work together for the benefit of their brood. Magic items intrigue them, and they sometimes carry discovered items in their tentacles. Itzchari do not speak, but can communicate telepathically in undercommon with any creature within 100 ft. who also knows the language.

Combat
Itzchari tend to ambush victims whenever possible, preferring to attack small groups or individuals if possible. They begin combat with darkness centred on themselves, followed by electric loop on any spellcasters or weak targets, and then close to melee.
Conductive Body: Itzchari are naturally attuned to electricity, and as a result, their body naturally produces electricity that is utilized for both offense and defense. All of an Itzchari’s natural attacks are backed up by a small electrical discharge, which deals an additional 1d6 points of electricity damage with each successful attack (already included above).
Gas Cloud: The body of an Itzchari is filled with a dull green gas, that can be released in order to facilitate an escape. Once per day, an Itzchari may discharge this gas, which expands to take up a 10 ft. radius sphere, and move 75 ft. in any direction, including upwards. All creatures inside this cloud must make a DC 12 fortitude saving throw or be sickened for 1d4 rounds. The saving throw is reflex based.
Spell-Like Abilities: 1/day- darkness (DC 14), electric loop (DC 14, spell compendium). Caster level for both spells is 3.
Electronimbus: Itzchari are subtly wreathed in a corona of lightning. This lightning provides illumination equal to a candle, and also reaches out to shock nearby objects. Anyone attempting to strike an Itzchari with a melee attack must make a reflex saving throw (DC 12) or take 1d4 points of electricity damage. The saving throw is constitution based.
Float: Itzchari do not have full flight, rather a more limited floating. Itzchari constantly float above the ground, and can attain a maximum altitude of five feet.

What do you think?

jindra34
2007-07-20, 08:46 PM
MitpII is not accepting new entries.

nathkry
2007-07-21, 12:15 AM
Oh. Damn. Best to move on, then...

DragonTounge
2007-07-21, 09:34 PM
Challenge rating 2 or 3 seems right.

Lord Iames Osari
2007-07-21, 09:39 PM
If they're electricity-aligned, wouldn't it make sense to give them the Air subtype, considering that electricity is the Air element's associated energy type?

nathkry
2007-07-22, 11:53 PM
If they're electricity-aligned, wouldn't it make sense to give them the Air subtype, considering that electricity is the Air element's associated energy type?

That would make sense. I'll give them that. Do Conductive Body and Electronimbus seem good in relation to their relatively poor HP? Their main defense is the miss chance from Darkness. Is there a penalty to your attack roll if you are attacking a target who you cannot see? I forgot if there is one or not, as I haven't played in several months. If there is, then that helps their defense, but if they are attacked before they can cast darkness, then they die quickly.