PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next State Alchemist (5E Background)

AgentMaineSIGMA
2017-01-30, 06:49 PM
https://docs.google.com/document/d/12j7KoYZHBPwvvSA4oah0yHfdwoC0fzFoNRL7G_St_Ck/edit?usp=sharing

A link to my 5E State Alchemist background from Fullmetal Alchemist. There are restrictions applied to it, such as being limited to Transmutation Wizards, Unearthed Arcana Artificers, and Alchemist Homebrew classes (ask your DM about the last two). If there are any suggestions, feel free to post.

EDIT

The Feauture of the class got rebalanced.

Deleted
2017-02-01, 05:45 PM
https://docs.google.com/document/d/12j7KoYZHBPwvvSA4oah0yHfdwoC0fzFoNRL7G_St_Ck/edit?usp=sharing

A link to my 5E State Alchemist background from Fullmetal Alchemist. There are restrictions applied to it, such as being limited to Transmutation Wizards, Unearthed Arcana Artificers, and Alchemist Homebrew classes (ask your DM about the last two). If there are any suggestions, feel free to post.

EDIT

The Feauture of the class got rebalanced.

This background has too much direct mechanical impact on the game. It needs to be a vague feature that can be helpful but not abused. It is way too involved and goes against a lot of the backgrounds that have already been made.

Dog of the military seems like a level 1 class feature moreso than a background feature.

Edit======
I think rewording the Soldier's background benefit would work perfectly for this background.

AgentMaineSIGMA
2017-02-01, 09:36 PM
That was the biggest fear I had with it. I made it with some friends, so that there is a definite benefit (high military rank, monthly income, and government backing) for some hefty trade offs (loss of ability, forced war participation, TIME COMMITMENT). Any ideas on how to alter it so it doesn't lose much functionality, but in return works better as a background than a class feature?

Deleted
2017-02-02, 05:27 PM
That was the biggest fear I had with it. I made it with some friends, so that there is a definite benefit (high military rank, monthly income, and government backing) for some hefty trade offs (loss of ability, forced war participation, TIME COMMITMENT). Any ideas on how to alter it so it doesn't lose much functionality, but in return works better as a background than a class feature?

Here is what I see a Background feature being. What you had wasn't bad for a class feature, though it may need to be tweaked a bit, but for a background feature it was way too big and overreaching.

Feature: Dog of the Military
As a state alchemist, you held rank in your state’s army and still are seen favorably by people and soldiers that knew of you. Due to your focus in the alchemist arts, you still have connections to the state run alchemist labs and you can find, if any, the a lab and material to perform basic alchemical work.

AgentMaineSIGMA
2017-02-02, 09:35 PM
Thanks. That's a huge help. I'll make a separate doc for the current version (a friend is using it and already has missed an encounter for his alchemical work), but I'll make the changes for the public one.