PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Spiny Worm People!

JBPuffin
2017-01-31, 09:49 PM
I originally thought up this race for my half-finished (and 90% forever left half-finished) Fictionpress story, but I realized some things about Monks the other day and thought that it'd be fun to build my Needle-Worm race for 5e. The end result is a one-trick pony, admittedly, but that trick is amazing in my books, and I want to know if this is comparable to a 5e character Race (including as a monster, a la Volo's). Here we go.

(Picture and fluff to be posted; focus on the meat and bones for a bit)

Ability Scores: Your Dexterity increases by 2 and your Constitution increases by 1.
Age: Needle-Worms are mature after 10 years and live up to 120.
Alignment: Needle-Worms as a whole have no particular leanings; most settlements stabilize around an axis, though, so those native to the same area usually share the same alignment.
Size: Only through magic or other alteration can a Needle-Worm stand taller than 2 and a half feet, weighing anywhere between 20 and 40 pounds. Your size is Small.
Speed: Your base walking speed is 25 feet, but you are not slowed by heavy armor.
Needle Shot: Every Needle-Worm naturally grows (and regrows) a set of javelin-sized needles which they are naturally proficient with. Your unarmed strikes have the thrown (20/60) and finesse properties and deal 1d4+your Strength or Dexterity modifier piercing damage, plus your Constitution modifier poison damage, instead of the bludgeoning damage normal for an unarmed strike.
Note – Needle-Worms and Monks: The Martial Arts feature interacts differently with a Needle-Worm's natural weapons than with some other races. They roll the higher of their Needle Shot and Martial Arts die for damage. For example, a level 5 Needle-Worm monk does 1d6+Str/Dex mod piercing +Con mod poison damage whenever they hit with their unarmed strike. This damage increases does also affect Spiny Carapace.
Spiny Carapace: Your needles provide you with a measure of protection. When you aren't wearing armor, your AC is 13 + your Dexterity modifier. You can use your natural armor to determine your AC if the armor you wear would leave you with a lower AC. A shield's benefits does not apply while you use your natural armor. Once per short or long rest, when a creature hits you with a melee attack, you may force them to make a Dexterity saving throw with a DC equal to 8+your proficiency modifier+the highest of your Strength or Dexterity modifiers. If they fail the save, they take damage as if you hit them with your unarmed strike.
Colored for Camouflage: You have proficiency in the Stealth skill.
Size Doesn’t Matter: You have advantage on saving throws against being frightened.
Languages: You speak Common and Sylvan.