PDA

View Full Version : The truth behind magic!

Wraithy
2007-07-21, 01:52 PM
before I start let me say that this is just something I put on paper in 10 minutes. its just the way my character believes magic works and is created for the sole purpose of roleplay. this is the theory that has made my character alienated from the circles of organised arcana (wizards guilds etc.) and even temples. can you see any contradictions/problems in it?

Everything in existence is formed from the same material called "foundation", at the dawn of creation, this non-substance shifted and changed into substance, energy, and all other states of everything. At this point, the arrangement of the foundation became set, and all of existence became governed by the patterns and codes it formed: nothing was exempt. However there were also remnants of foundation that had not become set, this portion of the foundation was pliable, and by running the pliable foundation through the codes of set foundation, it could be formed into either physical substance or other various effects. This is the basis of what is called magic. Pliable foundation is a limited resource; it cannot be created or destroyed, merely changed into other states of existence and back.
During the setting of foundation, the patterns and codes differed from place to place, these divisions were called planes. Some layers of code overlapped. Others allowed pliable foundation to be manipulated far more easily or not at all. Some groups of code were sparse, a mere framework for the shifting pliable foundation. it is true that powerful manipulation of pliable foundation can emulate set foundation, these codes are called pocket plains, however their codes are still at their core made of pliable foundation, and thusly never permanent.
Pliable foundation can be manipulated by any being, provided their actions do not conflict with the set foundation in the area. Most of the time, the set foundation dictates that a being must expend mental energy equal to the amount of pliable foundation being converted, this is the rule which decides that a first level wizard cannot cast fireball. Certain items can manipulate set foundation, when infused with an equivalent cost of effort these items can produce almost endless qualities. Some items can ease the passage of pliable foundation through the codes that correspond to specific actions; this would allow a being to expend less effort than usual to create the same effect; however such items usually have limited usage before needing to absorb more pliable foundation. Other items are designed to absorb pliable foundation so well that no effort by the user is required; these items still require equal effort in their creation.
Some beings become so adept at the manipulation of pliable foundation that they can empower others in their own manipulations of pliable foundation, such beings are often empowered by the collective abilities of their associates. These beings are perceived as gods, and many have realised that a god gains power as the power of his disciples increases, to prevent loss of power when their associates die, many deities delay the souls of their followers from reconverting into pliable foundation, and allow their associates to reside near them. Ironically this manipulation is used by necromantic deities as often as good deities, despite the fact that good deities abhor undeath. Such a process does not damage the set foundation, however it does mean that the pliable foundation available is decreased, and thus after divine magic increases to a certain point of power, all other magic would be affected negatively. Divine magic and all other forms of magic are very similar despite the different methods used to create their effects, although an arcanist and a divine caster may need to use different components or need to go through different methods of casting a spell, they are actually manipulating pliable foundation in exactly the same way, their methods of acquiring their power is the cause of such differences.
Although some casters may manipulate pliable foundation immediately where others must prepare before hand, this makes no difference to the amount of effort being used or the end results. With proper training, any being in existence can manipulate pliable foundation in some form.

(the character who thought this up is an ultimate magus)

Lost_Avatar
2007-07-21, 02:10 PM
While reading this I can't help but think of the Matrix. All in all it is an interesting idea and probably one of the better explanations of magic I have seen.

cody.burton
2007-07-21, 02:23 PM
I like it - sounds like you could build a campaign around it!

One question though:

These beings are perceived as gods, and many have realised that a god gains power as the power of his disciples increases, to prevent loss of power when their associates die, many deities delay the souls of their followers from reconverting into pliable foundation, and allow their associates to reside near them. Ironically this manipulation is used by necromantic deities as often as good deities, despite the fact that good deities abhor undeath.

Does this mean that you believe that good deities make undead? Or are you referring to petitioners here?

Wraithy
2007-07-21, 03:37 PM
from what I've heard about the afterlife in D&D (whether it is correct or not) is that when a character on the material plane dies, they go to the plane of their patron deity. I can't remember where I heard that, nor can I remember what happened to those who didn't have a patron deity. in fact I know nothing about the D&D take on the afterlife.

if that is how the afterlife works in D&D, this take on it says that deities are only holding the souls of their followers back from reverting to pliable foundation. what happens to the consiousness is up to you *plays x-files music*

cody.burton
2007-07-21, 06:59 PM
IIRC, Complete Divine says that most souls go to the plane of their patron deity or their alignment if they have no deity. There, most slowly merge with the fabric of the plane itself. A few special ones become petitioners, 2-HD outsiders - lemures and dretches for example. Over the years, these petitioners go up in rank, and this is how the deities keep their armies filled.

Of course, you can take whatever parts of this you want for your campaign. If I'm understanding what you want correctly, I would just change the standard to say that souls immediately change into pliable foundation unless they are quickly grabbed by the deity to become a petitioner or become reincarnated. Though, now that I'm thinking about this, that might mess with resurrections...

But don't let anything I say stop you - I really like the idea!

Wraithy
2007-07-22, 08:17 AM
While reading this I can't help but think of the Matrix.

another of the people in my gaming group said the same when I pointed this to him, I surpose the frequent use of the word "codes" has something to do with it.

as far as the afterlife goes: I'll talk to my DM about it, at the end of the day he's the one running the game.