PDA

View Full Version : Variant Sorc

Valairn
2007-07-21, 06:58 PM
I'm trying to balance a variant sorc.

The concept behind him is he can learn spells like a wizard, but has extremely low spells per day. Nearing that crippling point. So he is spontaneous, but he can't cast for long.

Is there a way I can edit class features to make a character that is playable without making him stupid good? I fear balance issues.

As of right now, I took his familiar and dropped his non stat modified spells per day to 1/3rd of the normal sorcerer spell per day. I was thinking giving him MAD for casting stats would be good too.

Any thoughts?

Superglucose
2007-07-21, 09:29 PM
I don't think it will work. he'd have to have fewer spells per day than a wizard, who gets 1 first level spell per day at level 1. Basically, it means he has to wait a level to use any spells (ignoring bonus because of ability scores).

Its a cool idea... but really you're trying to combine the best benefits of each class.

Valairn
2007-07-22, 10:22 AM
Actually that might not be such a bad idea. The two abilities I combined are in fact the sorcerer and wizards best. This class would be extremely powerful if I gave them strong spells per day. I could just limit it so that at most only 2 spells per day of each level is granted by class. The rest has to come from stats.