PDA

View Full Version : Best Rogue/Cleric subclass combination?

Luccan
2017-02-06, 12:47 AM
I'm looking to run a character who starts off as a con-artist and petty criminal, pretending to be a priest. Eventually, I'm thinking he'll end up as a real Cleric and follower of some religion, whether he reforms or goes down a darker path and starts following the tenets of that religion. Either way, I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions on which Rogue and Cleric subclasses would go well together, particularly those that fit this guys background (although I can just give him an appropriate background and just take a mechanically sound combo).

Hrugner
2017-02-06, 01:40 AM
Arcane Trickster. Due to how ATs pick their spells, by going up levels of cleric between rogue levels, you can pick higher level spells than you normally would be able to. If you took 3 levels of AT, 16 cleric, then one more AT, you'd have a nearly full cleric list and a couple of 9th level wizard spells. Though honestly, the illusion and enchantment trees aren't too cool at 9th level, so you'd want to dip over earlier for simulacrum or mass suggestion or something. It's a more tantalizing trick for EK's but whatever.

Sicarius Victis
2017-02-06, 01:43 AM
Arcane Trickster. Due to how ATs pick their spells, by going up levels of cleric between rogue levels, you can pick higher level spells than you normally would be able to. If you took 3 levels of AT, 16 cleric, then one more AT, you'd have a nearly full cleric list and a couple of 9th level wizard spells. Though honestly, the illusion and enchantment trees aren't too cool at 9th level, so you'd want to dip over earlier for simulacrum or mass suggestion or something. It's a more tantalizing trick for EK's but whatever.

No spellcaster let you learn spells that way, FYI. The AT does have some weirdness in its spellcasting, but that isn't it.

Innocent_bystan
2017-02-06, 02:09 AM
Reading suggestion: The lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch and the rest of the Gentleman Bastards series.

Arelai
2017-02-06, 02:27 AM
^Yeah that first dude needs to read the multiclass section of the PHB a little more carefully.

Anyways, cleric domain just depends on your character. But it sounds like you want TRICKERY domain. And for rogue, again, I don't know enough about your character, but probably MASTERMIND from SCAG if you're the con artist type. Otherwise I'd go with arcane trickster for more magics.

Kobard
2017-02-06, 05:25 AM
Reading suggestion: The lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch and the rest of the Gentleman Bastards series.Most definitely. That was my first thought as well. But the difference between Locke Lamora and the OP's hypothetical character is that Locke is a non-spellcasting priest, albeit one devoted to the god of thieves and shows his pious devotion through elaborate con-artistry.

X3r4ph
2017-02-06, 08:09 AM
Tempest Domain so you can maximize your Booming Blade damage a few times per combat. Adds a lot more damage when you crit with it.
Oh, and grab a race or feat that teaches you Booming Blade. There are basically no reasons not to add that to your repertoire as a Rogue.

Specter
2017-02-06, 08:23 AM
Trickery/Swashbuckler would be a nice duelist. Creating your own illusion, then casting Mirror Image, then casting Blink will make you very annoying. That, plus sneaking with advantage and adding poison to the attack.

Nifft
2017-02-06, 08:28 AM
What's your group like?

All Combat, No Stealth: Arcane Trickster + Tempest Domain.

AT Cantrips: Lightning Lure, Shocking Grasp, and Booming Blade -- you can push and pull like a boss. Wear heavy armor everywhere.

Combat With Stealth: Arcane Trickster + Trickery Domain.

AT Cantrips: Minor Illusion, Booming Blade, and a ranged attack.

Social Interactions Over Combat: Arcane Trickster + Knowledge Domain.

AT Cantrips: Minor Illusion + whatever; make sure you have a ranged attack in your Cleric cantrips. You get fantastic Int synergy with your 2 bonus skills from the Domain, so pump Int and be a know-it-all, and pick Wizard spells with a saving throw because you can make it stick. You also want to pump Wisdom for bonus damage.

Citan
2017-02-06, 11:49 AM
I'm looking to run a character who starts off as a con-artist and petty criminal, pretending to be a priest. Eventually, I'm thinking he'll end up as a real Cleric and follower of some religion, whether he reforms or goes down a darker path and starts following the tenets of that religion. Either way, I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions on which Rogue and Cleric subclasses would go well together, particularly those that fit this guys background (although I can just give him an appropriate background and just take a mechanically sound combo).
Hi!
Not sure if it's the "best" but it would surely work
Trickery Cleric with any Rogue archetype: you get several interesting defense spell (Mirror Image) and stealth ones (Pass Without Trace), plus all usual goodies.

Poison damage is not the best, but very coherent fluff-wise.

Deleted
2017-02-06, 12:09 PM

Why not be a priest who is a con artist?

Be a knowledge cleric, your goal is amass all the knowledge you can... In any way you can....

I would go Wis, Con, Dex, Cha (w/actor feat) and charlatan background.

The best way to lie to someone is to not comoletely lie in the first place.

Cleric (Knowledge) 1/ Rogue 2/ Cleric 3
AC: 14 + 2 (dex) + 2 (shield)
Eventually grab breastplate 15 + no disadvantage on stealth

Race: Variant Human, Water or Air Genasi, or Wood Elf? Hill Dwarf?

You get everything you need from Rogue 2, you grab some medium armor to show you are totally a cleric, and you can totally keep a short sword on you.

Combat wise you work like a cleric.
Outside of combat you have expertise on stealth so you work like a rogue.

Your int should be 8, funny right? But the two skills you get from knowledge cleric have expertise so you won't need Int for them lol. Actually in the long run, even with an 8 int, you totes are gonna have the same skill check than a non-expertise skilled person with max Int!

There are a lot of ways to build this but this might be the funniest way to do it.

Luccan
2017-02-06, 08:00 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll have to check with my group on what they're building and what we're looking to get out of our game before I decide on any build, but it's helpful just to see what works well together. The AT angle might be a good idea, if he really needs to stretch to convince someone of being backed by a "holy" power. I'll definitely keep in mind that I don't need too many rogue levels, as well.

Kobard
2017-02-07, 10:17 AM
Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll have to check with my group on what they're building and what we're looking to get out of our game before I decide on any build, but it's helpful just to see what works well together. The AT angle might be a good idea, if he really needs to stretch to convince someone of being backed by a "holy" power. I'll definitely keep in mind that I don't need too many rogue levels, as well.You could go the route of a Charlatan Tiefling, as that would net you Thaumaturgy that you could use as part of your divine ruse. Then you may also want to consider Bard for your class. Then you could get healing to back up your claims while still being a heavy-Charisma-oriented character who cons others. You would have spells like Friends and Minor Illusion for your shenanigans. Use Minor Illusion, for example, to make the deity's holy symbol appear in the sky, and then use Thaumaturgy for added effects. Your additional bonus skills (i.e. Religion) and magical secrets as a lore bard could then reflect your character becoming an earnest follower of the religion, should you decide that path for your character.

solidork
2017-02-07, 10:30 AM
One thing to keep in mind is that, if you go by what the PHB says, the vast majority of priests aren't Clerics.

Luccan
2017-02-07, 01:39 PM
One thing to keep in mind is that, if you go by what the PHB says, the vast majority of priests aren't Clerics.

I know. IF I go down that path, I want a sort of "sainthood" thrust upon him. He will be reforming, but obtaining spells before he decides he's actually convinced he's dedicated himself to the cause will bring him an incredible amount of discomfort, which is kind of what I want to do with that path. We'll see how it plays out.

Quoxis
2017-02-07, 02:04 PM

I'd imagine the vast majority of clerics to be priests of some sort though.

Luccan
2017-02-07, 05:25 PM
Maybe it means something like, not officially ordained by their god's church? Given they get holy power, they're presumably pretty faith oriented. Maybe they're like missionaries "Go forth, my son, and turn this band of murder-hobos into followers of Pelor's light"