PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other Weapon: Wild Blade

Ursus Spelaeus
2017-02-10, 08:17 AM
I think psionic classes could use some mundane weapons unique to them.

Wild Blade
Exotic Two-Handed Melee
Cost: 100 gp
Normal Material: Iron
Weight: 12 lb.
Damage: d10 (s), 1d12 (m) slashing
Critical: 19-20/x2

You may activate or deactivate your wild blade's surge mode as a free action during your turn. While your wild blade's surge mode is active, its damage steps up as though it were one size category larger (becoming 3d6 instead of 1d12 if medium), its critical multiplier becomes 18-20/x3 instead of 19-20/x2, and its reach doubles (gaining 10' reach instead of 5' reach if medium). Wild blades are exceedingly difficult to handle. When you attack with a wild blade in surge mode, make a percentile roll. On a roll of 20% or lower, the attack misses, and you are dazed for one round. Masterwork wild blades reduce the miss chance to 10%.

Wild Finish[Psionic Feat]
Prerequisite: Wild Surge class feature
Benefit: You are treated as if you possess the feat Exotic Weapon Proficiency (wild blade.) In addition, whenever you attack with a wild blade in surge mode, it counts as though you had used the wild surge ability with an intensity of 1 for purposes of using the surging euphoria ability.

Wild Mind Blade [Psionic Feat]
Prerequisites: Ability to generate a mind blade, shape mind blade class feature
Benefit: Any time you wish to reshape your mind blade using your shape mind blade class feature, you can add the wild blade to your shape repertoire. You are treated as if you possess the feat Exotic Weapon Proficiency (wild blade). The weapon is sized appropriately for you and deals damage as a wild blade. In addition, the weapon is treated as as masterwork.

Morphic tide
2017-02-10, 12:57 PM
That's not really Mundane, though. Heck, the thing works best as a Psionic item with either Metaphysical Weapon as a prerequisite or that one power that makes a weapon outright.

Ursus Spelaeus
2017-02-10, 01:51 PM
It's one of those piles of numbers where I designed the mechanics before the flavor, but I imagine it a bit like the sword scissors from Kill La Kill where the blade can hinge open to form an even longer blade as its 'execution mode'.

So the wild blade is essentially a full blade with an extension that slides out for increased reach, better criticals, and higher damage. The trade off is that sliding the extension out makes the thing even more unwieldy, hence the miss chance.

I could probably drop the damage boost, change the critical multiplier from x3 normal and x4 surge, and keep the reach increase.

Wilders are thematically tied to it, so they still get the buff for using it in its surge mode.

I could probably add a couple more weapons to this line.

Wild Gauntlets
Exotic Light Weapon (Gauntlets)
Cost: 300 gp
Normal Material: Iron
Weight: 4 lb.
Damage: d4 (s) d6 (m) bludgeoning
Critical: x2

Wild gauntlets come in a pair. You cannot be disarmed of them.

You may activate your wild gauntlet's surge mode as a free action during your turn. When you do so, clockwork mechanisms convert the fists into mechanically powered drills. The gauntlet's damage type changes from bludgeoning to piercing, and its critical multiplier becomes x4.
The spinning drills are hard to control, and the mechanisms that drive them are exceedingly complicated. When you attack with the wild gauntlets, make a percentile miss chance roll in addition to the attack roll. On a roll of 20% or lower, the attack misses and you are dazed for one round. Masterwork versions of this weapon reduce the miss chance to 10%.