PDA

View Full Version : multi-classing a lightfoot halfing lore bard

Absinthesize
2017-02-16, 12:04 AM
curious to get peoples opinions. It would be between 1-3 levels of another class. no more.

ive considered cleric for healing

sorcerer for metamagic

warlock for...not sure why actually.

as im new to 5e im actively searching but figured asking doesnt hurt to point me in the right direction!

I also have an idea for a assassin using the guide where you multiclass into fighter, but i think that one is mostly covered in its own guide. still if anyone wants to go on a tangent about that, feel free.

retaliation08
2017-02-16, 12:22 AM
3 levels of warlock gets you the always useful Eldritch Blast for nice reliable combat damage, 2 short rest spell slots for healing spells or whatever, 2 invocations, pact boon and patron features.

If you go pact of the tome, you get what is essentially the ritual caster feat and 3 more cantrips (a total of 5 for your dip) in addition to the other warlock goodies!

If UA is in play, the new Hexblade with pact of the tome gives you a little bit of everything, Cha to melee attacks, martial weapons and shields, a curse, a familiar, ritual book casting, any 3 cantrips you desire. That can add lots of versatility to an already versatile bard!

Absinthesize
2017-02-16, 12:30 AM
3 levels of warlock gets you the always useful Eldritch Blast for nice reliable combat damage, 2 short rest spell slots for healing spells or whatever, 2 invocations, pact boon and patron features.

If you go pact of the tome, you get what is essentially the ritual caster feat and 3 more cantrips (a total of 5 for your dip) in addition to the other warlock goodies!

If UA is in play, the new Hexblade with pact of the tome gives you a little bit of everything, Cha to melee attacks, martial weapons and shields, a curse, a familiar, ritual book casting, any 3 cantrips you desire. That can add lots of versatility to an already versatile bard!

kinda curious to 1 level in life cleric for boosted aoe heals. lets me be both healer and buffer/debuffer.

retaliation08
2017-02-16, 12:34 AM
Cleric 1 is a solid dip, life in particular for healing. I am not sure where you are getting AOE healing from, though...

If you are referring to Mass cure, that is a ways down the road and taking up a high level spell slot.
Being able to use unused warlock spell slots to cast healing word before a short rest will be useful immediately and more often than a mass cure, while allowing you to use your high level slots for better spells. This strategy is based on a more proactive approach to combat rather than reactive healing during combat.

EDIT: also all cleric spells will be wisdom based for you, so take your wisdom score into consideration when weighing the pros and cons of a cleric dip.

Absinthesize
2017-02-16, 12:43 AM
Cleric 1 is a solid dip, life in particular for healing. I am not sure where you are getting AOE healing from, though...

If you are referring to Mass cure, that is a ways down the road and taking up a high level spell slot.
Being able to use unused warlock spell slots to cast healing word before a short rest will be useful immediately and more often than a mass cure, while allowing you to use your high level slots for better spells. This strategy is based on a more proactive approach to combat rather than reactive healing during combat.

EDIT: also all cleric spells will be wisdom based for you, so take your wisdom score into consideration when weighing the pros and cons of a cleric dip.

thats a 3 level dip i take it? im assuming i should start with warlock then?

Tauguy628
2017-02-16, 12:43 AM
Life cleric 1 and/or sorcerer 3 both allow you to get an (almost ridiculous) amount of mileage out of aura of vitality (use sixth level magical secrets).
Aura heals, on average: 70 (if you keep concentration)
With just life cleric: 120
With just sorcerer (extend spell): 140
With both: 240

For the purpose of you build, considering that you don't want to dip more than three levels, I would recommend life cleric as it gives you this combo, bless, and heavy armor.
Edit: cleric also gives shields :)

Absinthesize
2017-02-16, 12:48 AM
Life cleric 1 and/or sorcerer 3 both allow you to get an (almost ridiculous) amount of mileage out of aura of vitality (use sixth level magical secrets).

For the purpose of you build, considering that you don't want to dip more than three levels, I would recommend life cleric as it gives you this combo, bless, and heavy armor.

oo cleric gives heavy armor? i thought just medium. very nice.

retaliation08
2017-02-16, 12:53 AM

I am curious what level you are making these calculations for and what you are referring to by "aura heals" specifically.

thats a 3 level dip i take it? im assuming i should start with warlock then?

One level dip in warlock gives you 1 spell slot per short rest that can cast either your warlock or bard spells. I was assuming that you are already a lore bard 3 and would be multiclassing at level 4.

Dipping in warlock is useful with a dip of 1,2, or 3 levels, although most people go 2-3 levels to get the most out of their warlock dip. 2 levels could be good for your bard if you plan on making to to level 20 as it allows you access to your 9th level spell magic secret.

oo cleric gives heavy armor? i thought just medium. very nice.

Certain domains grant heavy armor use. Life domain is one of them.

Absinthesize
2017-02-16, 12:59 AM
that settles it for me. definitely life cleric, probably just a 1 level dip. i wont have any wisdom modifier but ill just pick spells that dont rely on my wisdom.

should i start as a bard to 3 then do a 1 dip or start as a cleric?

retaliation08
2017-02-16, 01:30 AM
that settles it for me. definitely life cleric, probably just a 1 level dip. i wont have any wisdom modifier but ill just pick spells that dont rely on my wisdom.

should i start as a bard to 3 then do a 1 dip or start as a cleric?

If you are starting at level 1 then I would start as a cleric. But with only 1 level in cleric, you wont get a single area heal until level 9 unless I am missing something...

Absinthesize
2017-02-16, 01:33 AM
If you are starting at level 1 then I would start as a cleric. But with only 1 level in cleric, you wont get a single area heal until level 9 unless I am missing something...

sorry when i said aoe heal i didnt really mean aoe heal. (i know, dumb) i was just talking about aura of vitality.

the aura is a aoe around yourself...so i incorrectly called it a aoe heal.

djreynolds
2017-02-16, 01:53 AM
Well what do you do in combat?

Do you have a 13 in wisdom? Than any cleric is nice to have.

Usually when I play a bard, I'm support in combat.

You can still shine, but IMO, you shine more adding the party as a buffer/debuffer and as an explorer and conversational guy

If you have the wisdom, crazy but 2 of ranger is sweet if you like to use a bow

retaliation08
2017-02-16, 02:00 AM
sorry when i said aoe heal i didnt really mean aoe heal. (i know, dumb) i was just talking about aura of vitality.

the aura is a aoe around yourself...so i incorrectly called it a aoe heal.

Oh I see. I would still argue that having a short rest healing word is more useful than aura of vitality. It is not concentration, it has double the range, it is a first level spell, it refreshes on a short rest vs a long rest, and on rounds that people don't need healing your aura is doing nothing.

If you are set on life cleric, its not bad choice. I would look into getting the goodberry spell though. Ten berries that heal for 4 hit points each as a first level spell is pretty good to use on a rest, although it is debatable whether the life cleric's ability works with goodberry.

Absinthesize
2017-02-16, 02:15 AM
Oh I see. I would still argue that having a short rest healing word is more useful than aura of vitality. It is not concentration, it has double the range, it is a first level spell, it refreshes on a short rest vs a long rest, and on rounds that people don't need healing your aura is doing nothing.

If you are set on life cleric, its not bad choice. I would look into getting the goodberry spell though. Ten berries that heal for 4 hit points each as a first level spell is pretty good to use on a rest, although it is debatable whether the life cleric's ability works with goodberry.

i admit i was looking it over and realized with halfling id be staring at a 15 foot movement on my bard with heavy armor. I keep hearing how bards are terrible with AC. as for the other poster, that was my idea, a buffer/debuffer/support face.

djreynolds
2017-02-16, 02:30 AM
What are your stats? Rolled or standard array?

If you are maxing out charisma just leave dex at 14, medium armor is just fine. Breast plate is affordable.

14 in dex and breast plate is AC 16, just fine. Lot of classes will give medium armor

1. I would grab 1 level of sorcerer for access to the shield spell and 2 cantrips. Do not waste your magical secrets on a 1st level spell when you can simply just grab a level of sorcerer

2. Warlock is another great dip as you can literally just use eldritch blast as your go to weapon

With a dip of 1 level of sorcerer can use shocking grasp is melee and firebolt and leave dex at 14, and get the shield spell.

Dragon sorcerer is sweet as it gives basically free mage armor with draconic resilience , +3 plus your dex score, say 14 dex AC 15 or 16 dex, AC 16... same as chainmail. But the shield spell is a reaction, +5 AC good for the whole round... now AC21

retaliation08
2017-02-16, 02:42 AM
The new UA Hexblade Warlock (http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/20170213_Wizrd_Wrlck_UAv2_i48nf.pdf) gets you medium armor, shields, access to the shield spell and Eldritch Blast all with a 1 level dip along with a few other goodies.

That fixes all of your AC issues and gives you a nice combat option in addition to the benefits I have already mentioned in previous posts.

djreynolds
2017-02-16, 02:56 AM
The new UA Hexblade Warlock (http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/20170213_Wizrd_Wrlck_UAv2_i48nf.pdf) gets you medium armor, shields, access to the shield spell and Eldritch Blast all with a 1 level dip along with a few other goodies.

That fixes all of your AC issues and gives you a nice combat option in addition to the benefits I have already mentioned in previous posts.

Well Mr Retaliation nailed it

That's bad*ss

There you go, that's you DIP, infact you may want to make this the class... and dip bard instead

Absinthesize
2017-02-16, 02:57 AM

i admit this is tempting...

djreynolds
2017-02-16, 02:59 AM
i admit this is tempting...

Yes, now grab expertise in athletics at 3rd, and snag shield master... could be nasty

Absinthesize
2017-02-16, 03:00 AM
Well Mr Retaliation nailed it

That's bad*ss

There you go, that's you DIP, infact you may want to make this the class... and dip bard instead

lol i want the other stuff bard does. tho i may try a hex blade eventually, tho id be more interested in going paladin with hexblade. since both use CHA.

Herobizkit
2017-02-18, 06:48 AM
Life Cleric 1/Lore Bard x can eventually get you Aura of Vitality and Goodberry added to your spells known.

Healing isn't as important as it used to be, but having sources of in-and-out-of-combat Healing is great.