PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Hexblade Uber Smite + Divine Smite - MC pally/lock

Vanderhaust
2017-02-16, 12:30 AM
I don't know if this has already been addressed, but I was wondering if the Uber Smite from hexblade invocation would stack with divine smite?

MeeposFire
2017-02-16, 12:35 AM
I don't know if this has already been addressed, but I was wondering if the Uber Smite from hexblade invocation would stack with divine smite?

If you mean the damage would stack if you used both on one attack then yes but you would have to use a different spell slot to fuel each. I would say that using both on one attack is a bit of overkill and is certainly very expensive in spell slots. I personally would think the warlock stuff would be enough but if you just want the largest numbers or play in a game that does mostly just one or two encounters in a day then this could work.

Consider that a straight warlock would be able to do 2 or more of those smites already. How many spell slots are you planning to use in one combat anyway?

skaddix
2017-02-16, 12:59 AM
Its legal sure but its going to cost you quite a bit in slots. Might not be a problem at Higher Levels. But low level you will be draining yourself.

Kileonhardt
2017-02-16, 02:40 AM
Its legal sure but its going to cost you quite a bit in slots. Might not be a problem at Higher Levels. But low level you will be draining yourself.

Although a crit in the first round of combat on the BBEG, whoooooeeeee would your DM want to kill you off because of that burst.

Asmotherion
2017-02-16, 03:29 AM
as long as you use separate spell slots to fuel both, it should stack alright... That said, using a full round (aka 2 hits) burns all your spell slots 'till the next short rest, so it might be worth it on a bulky boss or the BBEG of the session, but it's not something you'll be doing all the time, it's pure Nova Damage. A simple build would be Warlock 14/Paladin 6

We are talking about the 4 Warlock slots, 2 of them used on Eldritch Smite and 2 on Divine Smite for a total of 30d8 extra damage, for a total of 30d8+6d6+18 damage (Since Cha will be the priority ability score on Hexblade, we'll asume his Str modifier is around 3). Then, some leftovers from the paladin's spell slots, that do less damage

A more consistant way to do this would be Warlock Hexblade 3/Paladin 2/Stone Sorcerer 15

Quicken spell for Green-Flame Blade or Booming Blade, and spell slots to fuel a more slowly degrading damage.

With two hits (the maximum the Hexblade can do without multiclassing a minimum of fighter 11, which is for an other time) we have (at full potential and level 20)

1/1 8th level spell slot on Eldritch Smite = 16d8
1/1 7th level spell slot on Eldritch Smite = 14d8
2/3 4th level spell slots on Divine Smite = 10d8

Total (Including Hex, Hexblade's Curse and a +3 bonus, as we did above +quickened Booming Blade)= 46d8+6d6+18

Then, one more full turn of Smiting using:

1/1 6th level spell slot on Eldritch Smite = 12d8
1/2 5th level spell slot on Eldritch Smite = 10d8
1/1 5th level spell slot on Divine Smite = 5d8
1/1 4th level spell slots on Divine Smite = 5d8

Total (Including Hex, Hexblade's Curse and a +3 bonus, as we did above +quickened Booming Blade)= 38d8+6d6+18

2 turns of full smiting instead of one, that still out-damage the Warlock 14/Paladin 6 build... However, Paladin 6 gives Aura of Protection, so you are trading something for something. Your call.

skaddix
2017-02-16, 03:31 AM
Thanks for the Math yeah no problem rekting the BBEG at Lvl 20.
Getting to 20 is the real problem.