PDA

View Full Version : Craft skills for a true Renaissance Man!

SilverLeaf167
2017-02-16, 02:50 PM
After toying around with a couple ideas, I'm highly amused by the concept of my Alchemist (in Pathfinder) taking a single rank in a new Craft skill on every level. Just that single rank should be enough to earn a +10 modifier (+1 rank, +3 class skill, +4 Int and +2 tools), which is enough for masterwork items and generally more than equivalent to a professional artisan who's spent most of his life training in his profession. :smallamused:

I have the skill points to spare, so I figured it'd be fun to make him something of a natural genius of the crafts who keeps trying new things as he goes and immediately pretty much mastering them. I'm currently level 2 and only have Craft (Alchemy), which I will continue to put points into (duh), but next level I'm going to take Cartography (since I'm the one mapping our progress OOC and I figured I should do it IC as well). After that, I'll try to sneak in Cooking (though it's usually a Profession), and then Clothing, to represent simple things I've learned on the road. For what it's worth, I'm also maxing Heal.

After that, however, it's anyone's game. Illustration or similar is a must, perhaps something like Books and Mechanisms, but where should I go from there? What crafts would be either generally fun or otherwise suited for a true Renaissance Man, an omnidisciplinary artisan, the likes of Leonardo da Vinci, who strives to understand anything and everything? The more absurd it is for him to pick them up in a few days, the better. What other ideas come to mind, not necessarily related to skills?

We're using the Kingmaker adventure path, so I'm pretty confident I'll have plenty of downtime and resources to spend on my silly pursuits, perhaps even some *gasp!* practical uses for them.

(This is in the general Roleplaying Games section because the basic question shouldn't require much mechanical knowledge.)

oudeis
2017-02-16, 03:27 PM
(Craft) Sculpture, (Craft) Painting, and (Knowledge) Engineering come immediately to mind. You could also take Metallurgy as either a craft or knowledge skill, or perhaps break it into (Knowledge) Metallurgy and (Craft) Metal-working.

Telonius
2017-02-16, 03:35 PM
Speak (Obscure Ancient Language) should be there. Perform (Oratory). Craft (Sculpture), Craft (Painting) - though maybe Perform for both of those. All of the Knowledge skills. Knowledge (Nobility) should be fairly high, since you'll need a patron for your pursuits. Profession: Astrologer.