PDA

View Full Version : I have to decided to play a wizard.

BardicDuelist
2007-07-23, 02:13 PM
I have to decided to play a wizard for this campaign that our group will be starting, and I would like to know what is the best build for a level 5 wizard. All complete books are available, and I can use the Sun Elf race if I like (thought I am thinking human or ghostwise halfling for the bonus feat). Haste is 3.0, incase that matters.

I was thinking of carrying a deck of cards with explosive runes on them and using the glue (or is it stick?) cantrip to glue it to people, then dispel it (and fail, since we have a house rule that you can willingly fail any roll you make).

Basically, what is the cheesiest build possible for a level 5 wizard?

Rachel Lorelei
2007-07-23, 02:20 PM
Basically, what is the cheesiest build possible for a level 5 wizard?

...Pun-Pun.

Cubey
2007-07-23, 02:20 PM
I believe this guide can help. More cheese than you can shake a stick at!
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18500

Falrin
2007-07-23, 02:27 PM
1) I hope your Game is about cheese.

Diviner(drop Evocation)/Incantrix/archmage is the normal way to go
Wizard/Initiate of the Seven Veils/ incantrix or Archmage for the perfect defence.

Keep in mind: Don't do damage, that's what the guy carrying your gear is for when he's not being killed by another caster.

2) I hope your game is not about Cheese.

I hope you have a very creative DM. I tend to be very subtle with Cheesy Munchkins. Most of the time it involves a parallell Universe fighting a clone or soem form of an ikea tarasque.

Dausuul
2007-07-23, 02:37 PM
Really, you can just go straight wizard. That's plenty cheesy. Read the LogicNinja's guide (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-18500.html). Also, milk that 3.0 Haste for all it's worth.

Edit: Ninja'd on the guide. How appropriate.

Closet_Skeleton
2007-07-23, 02:40 PM
(thought I am thinking human or ghostwise halfling for the bonus feat)

I believe you mean Strongheart Halfling. The small size AC boost is nice for a low level wizard though.

BardicDuelist
2007-07-23, 03:05 PM
I am planing to milk haste. The game is not about being cheesy, but I wanted to know how to be really cheesy and then scale it back. The guide did help a lot. Thank you.

Inyssius Tor
2007-07-23, 04:06 PM
Cheesiest build possible (other than Pun-Pun, of course)?

Take the 5th-level character option from Complete Champion that allows wizards to blow a prepared spell for a spontaneous Divination spell of the same level.

You then qualify for Ultimate Magus. With wizard on both sides. Every time it says "+1 level of prepared spellcasting class and +1 level of spontaneous spellcasting class" your caster level goes up by two. With access to higher-level spells and everything.

Lapak
2007-07-23, 04:13 PM
Cheesiest build possible (other than Pun-Pun, of course)?

Take the 5th-level character option from Complete Champion that allows wizards to blow a prepared spell for a spontaneous Divination spell of the same level.

You then qualify for Ultimate Magus. With wizard on both sides. Every time it says "+1 level of prepared spellcasting class and +1 level of spontaneous spellcasting class" your caster level goes up by two. With access to higher-level spells and everything.I don't think so. You're still a preparation class; you just have a spontaneous-conversion class feature. It's the same as taking the feat from Complete Arcane that allows sorcerors to prepare arcane spells so they can metamagic them quickly; it doesn't make sorceror a prepared-spells class.

Inyssius Tor
2007-07-23, 04:39 PM
You're right, it doesn't. That's because it's a feat, not an "option". It's like saying that the Druidic Avenger variant doesn't make the druid "a class that can rage," or that the Mystic Theurge isn't both an arcane and a divine spellcaster.

Douglas
2007-07-23, 04:52 PM
The fact that the option is an alternative class feature means that wizard is now a spontaneous caster of divination spells. By RAW I think it works. It is, however, so blatantly cheesy that almost no DM will ever allow it. It's also beside the point, as the OP asked for a level 5 build and Ultimate Magus can't be entered until level 6 because of the required spellcraft ranks.

ZeroNumerous
2007-07-23, 04:59 PM
You then qualify for Ultimate Magus. With wizard on both sides. Every time it says "+1 level of prepared spellcasting class and +1 level of spontaneous spellcasting class" your caster level goes up by two. With access to higher-level spells and everything.

If any of my players ever did this, I would slap him. With the PHB. Then follow up with the DMG to the face.

You sir, however, have earned one free internet. I hear it's a very nice series of tubes.

Inyssius Tor
2007-07-23, 10:42 PM
Emperor Tippy deserves the internet, but I'll take it anyway.

Bauglir
2007-07-23, 10:55 PM
Simple solution. Such class features, as they do in gestalt, the only other time when you can get identical class features simultaneously, overlap, rather than stack. Since they're the same class feature, you only get +1 level. Seems like a fairly reasonable extrapolation of the rules.

Kyace
2007-07-24, 01:14 AM
Hmm, you only use your spontanious side for spontaneous divination spells you must trade for, perhaps you would be a wizard 6/magus 4 and cast as a wizard 10 or cast divination spells as a wizard 14 and since you begin with no daily spontaneous spell slots...

Still, an interesting find.

calebcom
2007-07-24, 02:39 AM
what is pun pun?

Dhavaer
2007-07-24, 02:46 AM
what is pun pun?

A hypothetical character with arbitrarily high abilities. I understand that it's possible to achieve it with a level 1 kobold commoner.

Douglas
2007-07-24, 02:46 AM
what is pun pun?
The most powerful character. EVER. (http://boards1.wizards.com/showthread.php?t=491801)

Leon
2007-07-24, 03:29 AM
A example of optimizing can get taken way past the extreme