PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Fairfieldfencer's Homebrew Weapons & Other Items

Fairfieldfencer
2017-02-23, 12:18 PM
Dragon Claw Sickle

Weapon (sickle), very rare

Made from the talons of an Adult Dragon, these weapons are most commonly found as the favours of some of the greatest hunters to ever walk the Material Plane.

The sickle does plus +3 to Attack rolls, 2d6 slashing damage, plus an additional 1d8 effect damage determined by the type of dragon the claws were taken from.

Upon striking a critical hit, the sickle causes an additional 5d6 damage determined by the Breath Weapon of the type of dragon the claw came from (see Dragonborn sheet for reference). This effect will not happen again until the next dawn.

Dragon Tooth Scythe

Weapon (scythe), legendary

Made from three of the teeth of an Ancient Dragon, this extremely rare item could only be made if such a beast was slain and enough of its body survived the battle.

The scythe does +3 to Attack rolls, 2d8 slashing damage, plus an additional 1d10 effect damage determined by the type of dragon the teeth were taken from.

Once per day, the bearer can send out an attack from the scythe equal to an Adult Dragon's breath weapon, determined by the type of ancient dragon the teeth came from. The target must make a saving throw to take half damage on a save. DC is determined by the type of ancient dragon.

Apparator Bow

Weapon (longbow), very rare

Made by Drow warlocks to aid their finest archers down in the shadows of the Underdark, the Apparator Bow uses finely honed dark magicks to cast Dimension Door on to every arrow fired, giving its bearer the edge in combat.

Once the arrow is fired, it disappears into a puff of black smoke, and can reappear one foot away from the target at the same trajectory from a distance of up to 500 feet, suffering no loss in velocity or drop. You ignore three quarters cover with this weapon, but the bearer must be able to see the target.

The Apparator Bow adds +3 to Attack and you roll 2d10 Piercing Damage plus an additional 1d8 Necrotic Damage to attacks. With this weapon, you can shoot normally up to 650 feet, at disadvantage from 650 feet to 1,100 feet and anything after 1,100 feet is out of your range.

Necklace of Shield Protection

Creates a magical aura of protection around your person. Adds 15 additional hit points. Any attacks that cause damage above the current level of hit points the Amulet can take carry over into the player's main hit points. Once the hit points are depleted, wearer must roll 1d4 per at the start of their turn to recharge hit points.

Bracers of Magic Reflection

Upon being attacked by an enemy spell, the wearer has the opportunity to partially deflect the damage back at the attack. Wielder must roll a Dexterity Check as a reaction and upon a successful roll, they strike back half the damage from the strike at the attacker. DC is 11 + Spell Level.

Broil Axe

The Broil Axe is a skeggöx (Bearded Throwing Axe) that causes the blood of its victim's to boil uncontrollably once it has sunk into their bodies.

The axe must be lodged into the body of an enemy for its effect to take hold. The bearer must make a DC 15 Strength Check to secure the axe inside the body if slammed into them, or a DC 17 Strength Check if thrown into them. The victim must make a DC 16 Constitution Saving Throw. On a failed save, they take 1d6/Fire damage.

After 3 failed Constitution Saving Throws, the victim begins to suffer from hyperthermia, feeling a tremendous burning pain and suffering from hallucinations. They take 2d6/Fire damage at the end of each turn and have Disadvantage on Attacks and Perception Checks. The effects of the axe are instantly stopped if it is removed from the victim's body following a successful DC 16 Strength Check.

Versatile: 1d10/Slashing Damage (One-Handed) or 1d12/Slashing Damage (Two-Handed) + 1d8/Fire Damage. Range: 10/30. +2 to Attacks.

Tremor Mace

The Tremor Mace can knock someone prone after an attack.

The victim must make a Strength Saving Throw or be knocked prone. The DC is half the damage of the attack.

2d10/Bludgeoning Damage. +2 to Attacks.

Dagger of Dissipation

A small, thin almost needle-like dagger. When the blade sinks into its target, it may absorb the water from their bodies, creating a longer and more lethal weapon from the victim's own liquids.

After an attack, the victim must make a DC 14 Constitution Saving Throw. Upon a failure, the victim will be partially drained of fluids and receive a point of exhaustion. If the victims fails enough saving throws equal to half their Constitution score, they suffer 8d8 points of damage. If the victim is a tree or plant-based creature, they die instantly.

-After one successful drain, the blade becomes a full size dagger and the damage dice increases to 2d4/Piercing.
-After two successful drains, the blade becomes a shortsword and the damage dice increases to 3d4/Piercing.
-After three successful drains, the blade becomes a rapier and the damage dice increases to 4d4/Piercing.
-After four successful drains, the blade becomes a longsword and the damage dice increases to 5d4/Slashing.
-After five successful drains, the blade becomes a greatsword and the damage dice increases to 6d4/Slashing.

The dagger's size returns to normal after a short rest and the water that makes up the blade has evaporated.

1d4/Piercing Damage normally. +2 to Attacks.

Blizzard Longbow

Any arrow loaded into this weapon turns to ice as the cold winds carry it to its prey, bestowing freezing temperatures on those too weak to resist.

The victim must make a DC 15 Constitution Saving Throw or have their movement speed halved. The effect carries on until the victim rolls a successful save.

ALTERNATIVELY (Still Undecided): The target must succeed on a DC 14 Constitution saving throw. On a failed save, the creature can't use reactions, its speed is halved, and it can't make more than one attack on its turn. In addition, the creature can use either an action or a bonus action on its turn, but not both. These effects last for 1 minute. The creature can repeat the saving throw at the end of each of its turns, ending the effect on itself with a successful save.

1d10/Piercing damage + 1d8/Cold damage. Range: 200/800. +2 to attacks.

Djinn_in_Tonic
2017-02-23, 01:05 PM
Dragon Claw Sickle

Dragon Tooth Scythe

Apparator Bow

These all seem very overpowered, and a little weird. Firstly, a +X to hit almost always has a corresponding +X to damage rolls. So they're already powerful weapons.

What I'm not sure I understand is why you also saw fit to give them not only bonus damage, but ALSO increase the weapon die size, often drastically. A normal Longbow, for example, averages 5.5 damage. A +3 Longbow averages 8.5 damage (and is a Very Rare item). The Apparator bow averages 11 damage (without the +3 bonus to damage a +3 weapon should have) and an additional 4.5 necrotic damage, for a total of 15.5 average damage -- nearly double that of another Very Rare item. It's also far better on Critical Hits, as it adds +2d10 instead of +1d10.

Necklace of Shield Protection

Creates a magical aura of protection around your person. Adds 15 additional hit points. Any attacks that cause damage above the current level of hit points the Amulet can take carry over into the player's main hit points. Once the hit points are depleted, wearer must roll 1d4 per at the start of their turn to recharge hit points.

A bit odd that it only begins to refresh hit points when completely consumed, instead of 1d4 hit points per round when not at the maximum. The wording could also use a bit of work. I'd probably go with something like this:

Necklace of Absorption
The wearer of this necklace is protected from harm. When the wearer would take damage, deal that damage to the necklace's reserve hit points first, and then deal any remaining damage to the wearer's hit points or temporary hit points as normal. The necklace has 15 hit points, and regains 1d4 hit points per round.

Bracers of Magic Reflection

Upon being attacked by an enemy spell, the wearer has the opportunity to partially deflect the damage back at the attack. Wielder must roll a Dexterity Check as a reaction and upon a successful roll, they strike back half the damage from the strike at the attacker. DC is 11 + Spell Level.

This item is way too powerful. It definitely needs a limit on uses, and should probably be "use, and force the enemy to make a save" instead of the way it's written now. This just feels a little odd, especially since no DC in 4e uses spell level, or a DC 11 base.

Broil Axe

The Broil Axe is a skeggöx (Bearded Throwing Axe) that causes the blood of its victim's to boil uncontrollably once it has sunk into their bodies.

The axe must be lodged into the body of an enemy for its effect to take hold. The bearer must make a DC 15 Strength Check to secure the axe inside the body if slammed into them, or a DC 17 Strength Check if thrown into them. The victim must make a DC 16 Constitution Saving Throw. On a failed save, they take 1d6/Fire damage.

After 3 failed Constitution Saving Throws, the victim begins to suffer from hyperthermia, feeling a tremendous burning pain and suffering from hallucinations. They take 2d6/Fire damage at the end of each turn and have Disadvantage on Attacks and Perception Checks. The effects of the axe are instantly stopped if it is removed from the victim's body following a successful DC 16 Strength Check.

Versatile: 1d10/Slashing Damage (One-Handed) or 1d12/Slashing Damage (Two-Handed) + 1d8/Fire Damage. Range: 10/30. +2 to Attacks.

This is...really weird. I don't like the varying static DCs, the constant damage potential, or the strange case where I'm not sure if you have to leave the weapon in the enemy or not.

Tremor Mace

The Tremor Mace can knock someone prone after an attack.

The victim must make a Strength Saving Throw or be knocked prone. The DC is half the damage of the attack.

2d10/Bludgeoning Damage. +2 to Attacks.

Seems way too strong. 2d10 base damage is insane, a DC based on damage is unusual for 5e offenses, and a free trip after every attack every time is crazy good.

Dagger of Dissipation

A small, thin almost needle-like dagger. When the blade sinks into its target, it may absorb the water from their bodies, creating a longer and more lethal weapon from the victim's own liquids.

After an attack, the victim must make a DC 14 Constitution Saving Throw. Upon a failure, the victim will be partially drained of fluids and receive a point of exhaustion. If the victims fails enough saving throws equal to half their Constitution score, they suffer 8d8 points of damage. If the victim is a tree or plant-based creature, they die instantly.

-After one successful drain, the blade becomes a full size dagger and the damage dice increases to 2d4/Piercing.
-After two successful drains, the blade becomes a shortsword and the damage dice increases to 3d4/Piercing.
-After three successful drains, the blade becomes a rapier and the damage dice increases to 4d4/Piercing.
-After four successful drains, the blade becomes a longsword and the damage dice increases to 5d4/Slashing.
-After five successful drains, the blade becomes a greatsword and the damage dice increases to 6d4/Slashing.

The dagger's size returns to normal after a short rest and the water that makes up the blade has evaporated.

1d4/Piercing Damage normally. +2 to Attacks.

I like the IDEA of this, but the damage scaling is, again, really weird. Why not just make it d4, d8, d10 like a normal weapon? Also, this one is also too powerful, since Exhaustion is insanely good when stacked. At 6 points of Exhaustion you just die, which basically invalidates the 8d8 damage. Even just 3 stacks of Exhaustion is too good to let you hand out this easily.

Blizzard Longbow

Any arrow loaded into this weapon turns to ice as the cold winds carry it to its prey, bestowing freezing temperatures on those too weak to resist.

The victim must make a DC 15 Constitution Saving Throw or have their movement speed halved. The effect carries on until the victim rolls a successful save.

ALTERNATIVELY (Still Undecided): The target must succeed on a DC 14 Constitution saving throw. On a failed save, the creature can't use reactions, its speed is halved, and it can't make more than one attack on its turn. In addition, the creature can use either an action or a bonus action on its turn, but not both. These effects last for 1 minute. The creature can repeat the saving throw at the end of each of its turns, ending the effect on itself with a successful save.

1d10/Piercing damage + 1d8/Cold damage. Range: 200/800. +2 to attacks.

This is probably the most balanced yet, although you should probably specify that you get to roll at the end of each turn. The alternative effect is too powerful for an at-will effect -- the first one is already pretty strong. Also, make your +2 weapons work normally and give +2 to attack and damage! :smalltongue:

GalacticAxekick
2017-02-23, 01:50 PM
Djinn broke things down wonderfully, so I'll only comment on the big picture here:

All the magic weapons you're designing deal exceptional raw damage (2dx dice), and if they aren't enjoying exceptional advantages (like the Apparator Bow's incredible aim and range) they're imposing debilitating effects (such as knocking the foe prone or exhausting them).

Besides totally overpowered except in the face of similar overpowered threats or unfair odds, I'm not sure this style of design is fun. Just attacking turn after turn isn't too exciting, you see, but that's all that overpowered equipment encourages. Instead, consider slightly improved equipment with totally new effects that allow and encourage new solutions to old problems.

Granting special options as an alternative to attacking, and granting smaller bonuses to damage (such as a single extra die at most, or a simple +something to hit or damage) will make these less overpowered and more flexible.

Fairfieldfencer
2017-02-23, 03:17 PM
Thank you very much for the incite.

Couple of things to clarify. These weapons are not going to be randomly given. I am going to be distributing them at the appropriate level, so the much more powerful weapons (which is most of them) would be at like levels 13-17. Like most of these I don't plan to introduce until like Level 10. My players are currently Level 4 and all I've given them is the Amulet.

And I actually forgot it was not just your base modifiers that were added to damage. I thought it was, for example, with a bludgeoning weapon, if you have +3 to strength, you add that +3, so I did not forgot that a weapon that granted +2 also granted +2 damage.

My initial thought was to have the necklace recharge every round, but I thought that might be a little OP, ironically. A Level 4 character is using it right now, so for them it is a little OP.

The DC idea for the Bracers was taken from Critical Role, but beefed up a bit. I see your point, but I may keep how the DC works, but boost it to base 13 + Spell level and only deflect back like a 1/4 of the damage. I hear what you are saying about using a Dex save instead, though. I might have to think about that one a bit more.

With the Broile Axe, the difficulty in using it is my counter to the damage potential, though I will agree it is confusing. And yes, you do have to leave it in the person.

Ah. The Tremor Mace DC should have a DC of 14, maybe 12, so it is effective against low level enemies, but not high.

I think I will definitely use your system and maybe make it so points of Exhaustion kick in after something like three failed saves.

The water, earth, wind and fire based weapons are all intended to be used by very powerful enemies (Level 9 Druids minimum, probably a fair bit higher) later in the campaign for them to be won. Their effects are the main reason why I posted this here, and I appreciate the feedback, especially about the Dagger of Dissipation.

I did also forget about one weapon.

Weapon of Transmutation

Passed through the hands of 1,000 warriors, whilst you are attuned to this weapon it imparts its wisdom unto the bearer.

Using your bonus action, you may change the form of this weapon to any you please and you are automatically proficient with them. Does not include ammunition for loading weapons.

+2 to all attacks.

Whilst attuned to this weapon, you have advantage on Wisdom Saving Throws and you may roll a percentage die to ask it for advice.

Djinn_in_Tonic
2017-02-23, 03:56 PM
Couple of things to clarify. These weapons are not going to be randomly given. I am going to be distributing them at the appropriate level, so the much more powerful weapons (which is most of them) would be at like levels 13-17. Like most of these I don't plan to introduce until like Level 10. My players are currently Level 4 and all I've given them is the Amulet.

I was taking perceived levels into account. The point about absurd damage or powerful at-will features compared to other items stands.

My initial thought was to have the necklace recharge every round, but I thought that might be a little OP, ironically. A Level 4 character is using it right now, so for them it is a little OP.

If you're giving that item that low, yes. That's a large chunk of their total hit points.

The DC idea for the Bracers was taken from Critical Role, but beefed up a bit. I see your point, but I may keep how the DC works, but boost it to base 13 + Spell level and only deflect back like a 1/4 of the damage. I hear what you are saying about using a Dex save instead, though. I might have to think about that one a bit more.

As an at-will this is still too powerful.

With the Broile Axe, the difficulty in using it is my counter to the damage potential, though I will agree it is confusing. And yes, you do have to leave it in the person.

Then it's awkward at best, confusing at worst, and still not very in keeping with 5e design.

Ah. The Tremor Mace DC should have a DC of 14, maybe 12, so it is effective against low level enemies, but not high.

Forced saves on every attack is still too powerful, and too many unnecessary rolls. The point is that the DESIGN ITSELF is counter to 5e design methodology and intent.

I think I will definitely use your system and maybe make it so points of Exhaustion kick in after something like three failed saves.

Again, saves on EVERY attack will add up quickly. I'm not sure it's good design, frankly. It's a lot of busy-work for very little payoff.

Weapon of Transmutation

Passed through the hands of 1,000 warriors, whilst you are attuned to this weapon it imparts its wisdom unto the bearer.

Using your bonus action, you may change the form of this weapon to any you please and you are automatically proficient with them. Does not include ammunition for loading weapons.

+2 to all attacks.

Whilst attuned to this weapon, you have advantage on Wisdom Saving Throws and you may roll a percentage die to ask it for advice.

This one is powerful, but functional. It does, however, seem like two separate items entirely. The only bit that doesn't make any sense is "you may roll a percentage die to ask it for advice" as you list no actual mechanics for doing so.

----------------

Are you interested in actual feedback of suggested design changes? Or are you just looking for thoughts on your current designs? I've largely avoided the former since I know it bothers some people to have me effectively attempting to redesign their ideas.

GalacticAxekick
2017-02-23, 04:06 PM
Couple of things to clarify. These weapons are not going to be randomly given. I am going to be distributing them at the appropriate level, so the much more powerful weapons (which is most of them) would be at like levels 13-17. Like most of these I don't plan to introduce until like Level 10. My players are currently Level 4 and all I've given them is the Amulet.I don't think these weapons are too strong for a low level character. I think they're too strong period. They grant vast, free power. They don't demand any judiciousness or creativity on the player's part. They reward a playstyle of "attack attack attack," which doesn't really enhance the game.

I don't think you appreciate the probability at work here. A Fighter making 3 attacks per turn will trip an ancient red dragon in on four rounds, because despite their +10 bonus to that Strength save, they're making that save three times and only need to fail once. This same Fighter facing a creature with a far worse save, such as a Lich (+0) will trip them nine in ten rounds.

The shove function should have limited uses, circumstantial needs, or be an alternative to your usual attack.

Fairfieldfencer
2017-02-23, 05:07 PM
Both your points do stand and I am taking them on board. I was going to put limits to the weapons depending on size, but that doesn't answer the problem.

And if you wish to share your on redesigns, sure.

Though, I suppose what I could do is redesign the Apparator Bow so all it does is +2 to attacks thanks to a little damage and goes up one Dice Level from a regular longbow.

As for the elemental weapons (Broile Axe, Dagger of Dissipation, Blizzard Bow, Tremor Mace) I could still have them be fairly powerful weapons, like 2d6 or less instead of the insane amounts I'm suggesting, and instead of say potentially knocking a character prone with every hit, bring percentile dice into it so there is a much smaller chance of that happening. Or make their special effects happen only on Crits.

And the percentage dice is to see if you get an answer from the Staff of Transmutation when you ask it a question.

Djinn_in_Tonic
2017-02-23, 05:31 PM
The first two might need a little tweaking to be suitably interesting: I tend to find +damage boring.

That said, assume all statistics match the default weapon unless otherwise specified.

More to come.

Dragon's Claw
Very Rare
This +2 Sickle is carved from the talon of a powerful dragon and contains 10 charges. When you strike a target with the Dragon's Claw you may expend up to 5 charges to deal 1d6 elemental damage to your target per charge expended. This elemental damage type matches the damage dealt by the breath weapon of the dragon the claw was taken from. If you score a critical strike with the Dragon's Claw it regains 2 charges, which you may spend immediately if doing so would take you over the 10 charge limit.

The Dragon's Claw regains 1d6+4 charges at the beginning of each day.

Dragon's Tooth
Legendary
This +3 Scythe is carved from the bones of a powerful Great Wyrm and contains 15 charges. When you strike a target with the Dragon's Tooth you may expend up to 5 charges to deal 1d6 elemental damage to your target per charge expended. This elemental damage type matches the damage dealt by the breath weapon of the dragon the bone was taken from. If you score a critical strike with the Dragon's Tooth it regains 2 charges, which you may spend immediately if doing so would take you over the 15 charge limit.

Additionally, once per day, you may spend an action to swing the scythe and call forth the dormant power of the Great Wyrm's magic. Every creature in a 60 foot cone must succeed on a Dexterity save (DC 8 + your Proficiency modifier + your Charisma modifier) or take 20d6 elemental damage. A successful save reduces this damage to 10d6. This elemental damage type matches the damage dealt by the breath weapon of the dragon the bone was taken from.

The Dragon's Tooth regains 2d6+3 charges at the beginning of each day.

Umbral Bow
Very Rare
This +3 Longbow fires shadow-infused arrows that pass into the shadow dimensions to bypass most mundane obstacles. Attacks with the Umbral Bow ignore up to three-quarters cover against targets, and you may make attacks against targets within your weapon's maximum range without suffering the usual Disadvantage penalty.

Bracers of Spell Deflection
Very Rare
When you are attuned to this item and are the target of a single-target spell that misses your AC or that you successfully make a save against, you may spend your reaction to duplicate the same spell upon the caster. Use their spell attack roll and spell save DC, but their attack is rolled at disadvantage and their saves, if any, are rolled at advantage.

Tremor Mace
Very Rare
This +2 Mace is imbued with the power of the earth itself. On a critical hit it knocks any target struck prone.

Additionally, as an action, you may slam the mace into the ground. Each creature within 30 feet must make a Dexterity save (DC 8 + your Proficiency modifier + your Strength modifier) or take damage equal to your weapon damage and be knocked prone. Once you have used this ability you must complete a short rest before you may use it again.

GalacticAxekick
2017-02-23, 06:14 PM
This is how I might redesign a couple of your weapons.

Apparator Bow

Weapon (longbow),

During a long rest, up to eight arrows may be attuned to this bow. During a short rest, one arrow may be attuned.

An attuned arrow loosed from this bow is shunted into extradimensional space, then brought back later along its trajectory; it gains the following benefits:
The arrow gains +1 to attack rolls
The arrow ignores shields, half cover and three-quarters cover
The arrow may treat a target with total cover as an invisible target instead.

Attuned arrows become normal after they have been loosed.

Tremor Mace

Weapon (mace),

As a special attack part of the Attack action attack, the wielder of this mace may slam it into the floor and send tremors towards a target within 10 feet. The target and any creatures between the target and the attack must succeed a Strength (DC = 8 + Strength + Proficiency) or be knocked prone.

This tremor attack may be used as an opportunity attack when a creature attempts to leave 10 foot reach.

Rusvul
2017-02-23, 07:08 PM
It's worth noting that most magic items don't change the damage die of the base weapon. Sometimes they add dice, like with Flame Tongue, but they don't change the die of the weapon itself. That's not to say that deviating from the precedent set by the DMG is necessarily a bad thing, but I figured it was worth mentioning.

Fairfieldfencer
2017-02-24, 04:16 AM
Wow. Both of your suggestions are much more functional and balanced. I'm pondering which one to choose with some, but I will definitely use them.

Fairfieldfencer
2017-02-28, 07:53 AM
I had a new idea today for a weapon and I thought I'd run it past everyone here.

Blade of Tiamat
Fashioned from one of the talons of the Dragon Goddess herself, this scimitar is imbued with the might of the chromatic dragons. Once per day upon rolling a Natural 20, you roll 2d6 additional damage. The damage type is determined by rolling 1d10 and using the table below.

1-2: Acid
3-4: Cold
5-6: Fire
7-8: Lightning
9-10: Poison

GalacticAxekick
2017-02-28, 09:03 AM
I had a new idea today for a weapon and I thought I'd run it past everyone here.

Blade of Tiamat
Fashioned from one of the talons of the Dragon Goddess herself, this scimitar is imbued with the might of the chromatic dragons. Once per day upon rolling a Natural 20, you roll 2d6 additional damage. The damage type is determined by rolling 1d10 and using the table below.

1-2: Acid
3-4: Cold
5-6: Fire
7-8: Lightning
9-10: PoisonActually kinda weak, and extremely unreliable. An extra 2d6 damage per day if you're lucky can be very little, and having no control over when it occurs means it's unlikely to occur when you need it. Then there's the unreliability of damage type...

Just "Once per day you roll 2d6 additional damage" would be better than "Once per day upon rolling a Natural 20, you roll 2d6 additional damage". And again, effects are more interesting than raw damage.

Fairfieldfencer
2017-02-28, 11:37 AM
Actually kinda weak, and extremely unreliable. An extra 2d6 damage per day if you're lucky can be very little, and having no control over when it occurs means it's unlikely to occur when you need it. Then there's the unreliability of damage type...

Just "Once per day you roll 2d6 additional damage" would be better than "Once per day upon rolling a Natural 20, you roll 2d6 additional damage". And again, effects are more interesting than raw damage.

I get what you're saying. Think I'm starting to see the balance of this now.