PDA

View Full Version : Player Help How to play warlock? (and what do you think of mine?)

Pinjata
2017-02-23, 05:00 PM
So in our new campaign, I intend to play a warlock (lvl 5). I picked a class, because I do not know it, while I am very familiar with standard fighter/rogue/cleric/full caster classes. I DID read all guides I could get online, but my DM has me limited to Pact of the chain option, so I intend to post my char here for you guys to asses how playable and sinergic it is. Problem is, I am rather unsure on how to play it. I inend to use my imp as invisible scout (Voice of Chain master) and I intend to snipe things with my improved Eldritch blast (Repelling blast and Dark Ones blessing might come handy) while making use of Darkness as basically my armor. I intend to save second spell slot for Stinking cloud/Fear in a right moment and Rod of Pactkeeper for those times when I can get back another slot.
So sort of a sniper/supporting caster/scout who relies on casting Darkness (and hopefully thus not de-buffing his friends. Oh and I took Lucky feat.

Warlock Female Tiefling Urchin Warlock 5 True Neutral AC 13 HP 38 Spd 30 Devils sight (see 120 feet black-and-white in pitch-dark) Resistance to fire damage
Str 8(-1) Dexterity 13(+1) Con 14(+2) Int 11(+0) Wis 12(+1) Cha 17(+3)

Inspiration:

Armor Class: 13 = 10 + 2 [studded leather] + 1 [dexterity]

Proficiency bonus: +3
Initiative modifier: + 1 = + 1 [dexterity]
Attack (handheld / thrown): + 2 = -1 [strength] + 3 [proficiency]
Attack (missile / finesse): + 4 = + 1 [dexterity] + 3 [proficiency]
Saves: STR -1 DEX +1 CON +2 INT +0 WIS +4 CHA +6

Insight (passive): 14 (19 with advantage) Investigation (passive): 10 (15 with advantage) Perception (passive): 11 (16 with advantage)

Languages: Common Infernal

Spear [+2 to hit; 1d6-1 piercing, 4 lb, thrown (range 20/60), versatile (1d8)] (Dark Ones Blessing!)

2 Daggers [+4 to hit; 1d4+1 piercing, 1 lb, finesse, light, thrown (range 20/60)] (Dark Ones Blessing!)

Mace [+2 to hit; 1d6-1 bludgeoning, 4 lb] (Dark Ones Blessing!)

Rod of the Pactkeeper

Feats: Lucky: Whenever you make an attack roll, an ability check, or a saving throw, you can spend one luck point to roll an additional d20. You can choose to spend one of your luck points after you roll the die, but before the outcome is determined. You choose which of the d20s is used for the attack roll, ability check, or saving throw.

Acrobatics +1
Animal Handling +1
Arcana Int +0
Athletics -1
Deception +6
History +0
Insight +4
Intimidation +3
Investigation +0
Medicine +1
Nature +0
Perception +1
Performance +3
Persuasion +6
Religion +0
Sleight of Hand +1
Stealth +4
Survival +1

At warlock level 5, xx knows 3 warlock cantrips.
Mark xx's Warlock Cantrip(s) here:

Eldritch Blast (Repelling Blast improvement!) (Dark Ones Blessing!)
Mage Hand
Minor Illusion

At warlock level 5, xx knows 6 warlock spells.
Choices may include xx's pact spell options.
Mark xx's First Level Warlock spells here:

none

Mark xx's Second Level Warlock spells here:

Blindness / Deafness [pact spell]
Darkness
Scorching Ray [pact spell]
Spider Climb

Mark xx's Third Level Warlock spells here:

Fear
Stinking Cloud [pact spell]

At warlock level 5, xx knows 3 warlock invocations.
Check xx's chosen invocations here.

Devil Sight
Repelling Blast -- requires eldritch blast cantrip
Voice of the Chain Master

PLUS:
Level 3: Hellish Rebuke 1/day

Level 5: Darkness 1/day

Check any other tools with which xx is proficient:

Disguise kit
Thieves' tools

Tiefling

+ 1 intelligence, + 2 charisma (already included)

Darkvision (see 60 feet black-and-white in pitch-dark)

Resistance to fire damage.

Thaumaturgy cantrip

Level 3: Hellish Rebuke 1/day

Level 5: Darkness 1/day

Urchin

You grew up on the city streets and learned to care for yourself.

You are proficient with disguise and thieving tools.

PC has a large animosity vs humans and dwarves.

Warlock

The DC to resist your spells is 8 + proficiency bonus + your charisma modifier. (+ Rod of Pactkeeper +1)

Level 1: One spell slot / short rest, slot level 1.

Level 2: Two spell slots / short rest.

Level 2: Two invocations known.

Level 3: Spells slots are level 2.

Level 5: Spells slots are level 3.

Fiendish patron (warlock)

Expanded list of available spells.

Level 1: Dark Ones Blessing -- on reducing enemy to 0 hp, gain temporary hp equal to yourcharisma modifier plus warlock level

Level 6: Dark Ones Own Luck -- once per encounter, add a d10 to a rolled save or ability check.

Level 10: Fiendish Resilience -- at end of short or long rest, choose a damage type to have resistance against.

Level 14: Hurl Through Hell -- once per encounter, psychic damage to an opponent.

Chain pact (warlock)

Level 3: Familiar becomes available

First Ability Score Improvement: Feat

xx's Equipment:

Backpack
Crowbar
Hammer
Pitons (bag of 4) x 10
Rations (1 day) x 10
Rope (50', hempen) x 1
Tinderbox
Torches x 10

Waterskins x 1

Spell component pouch
Thieves' tools (proficient)
Disguise kit (25 gp)
Spear
2 daggers
mace
studded leather
Rod of the Pactkeeper
_____
92 lb
Total

Imp familiar (Voice of the Chain Master!)

Imp

Tiny fiend (devil, shapechanger), lawful evil

Armor Class 13
Hit Points 10 (3d4 + 3)
Speed 20 ft., fly 40 ft.
STR DEX CON INT WIS CHA
6 (-2) 17 (+3) 13 (+1) 11 (+0) 12 (+1) 14 (+2)

Skills Deception +4, Insight +3, Persuasion +4, Stealth +5
Damage Resistances cold; bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing from nonmagical attacks not made with silvered weapons
Damage Immunities fire, poison
Condition Immunities poisoned
Senses darkvision 120 ft., passive Perception 11
Languages Common, Infernal
Challenge 1 (200 XP)

Shapechanger. The imp can use its action to polymorph into a beast form that resembles a rat (speed 20 ft.), a raven (20 ft., fly 60 ft.), or a spider (20 ft., climb 20 ft.), or back into its true form. Its statistics are the same in each form, except for the speed changes noted. Any equipment it is wearing or carrying isn't transformed. It reverts to its true form if it dies.

Devil's Sight. Magical darkness doesn't impede the imp's darkvision.

Magic Resistance. The imp has advantage on saving throws against spells and other magical effects.
ACTIONS

Sting (Bite in Beast Form). Melee Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 5 (1d4 + 3) piercing damage, and the target must make on a DC 11 Constitution saving throw, taking 10 (3d6) poison damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one.

Invisibility. The imp magically turns invisible until it attacks or until its concentration ends (as if concentrating on a spell). Any equipment the imp wears or carries is invisible with it.

Iamcreative
2017-02-23, 05:08 PM
That looks just fine and seems like it'll be useful pretty much all the time. Although if youre going more support/scout archfey might be a better patron (or even GOO, to telepathically talk to your chain pets/the things youve charmed/dominated). And if you're going more sniper you might want agonizing blast. If you dont mind me asking, why are you limited to the pact of the chain?

Sans.
2017-02-23, 05:12 PM
What, no Agonising Blast? Why are half your stats odd? And why only Chain pact?

Pinjata
2017-02-23, 05:19 PM
If you dont mind me asking, why are you limited to the pact of the chain?
Story reasons. Basically this girl made a deal with the devil to get out of a tight spot.

What, no Agonising Blast? Why are half your stats odd?
Agonizing blast bonus seems rather small in comparison to ability to push a creature 10 ft. What do youmean by odd stats? I got to pick among: 15,14,13,12,10,8 (standard array or what it's called).

Sans.
2017-02-23, 05:33 PM
Story reasons. Basically this girl made a deal with the devil to get out of a tight spot.

Agonizing blast bonus seems rather small in comparison to ability to push a creature 10 ft. What do youmean by odd stats? I got to pick among: 15,14,13,12,10,8 (standard array or what it's called).

In 5e, odd stats give literally no bonus that an even stat one lower wouldn't. For example, a better build would be your Cha starting 14, +2 from Tiefling giving 16 in total.

Iamcreative
2017-02-23, 05:47 PM
Eh agonizing blast isn't necessary if its more of a focus on utility/scouting (even if its really good for damage)

Sariel Vailo
2017-02-23, 05:51 PM
Why your DM not allow you to pick your pact choice.

gfishfunk
2017-02-24, 09:50 AM
Drop the lucky feat and pick up the better stats, imo. Its a great feat, but gaining +5% on attacks, defense, spells saves, and skills associated with both charisma and dexterity is better.

Remember with pact of the chain, its a normal familiar otherwise. Your familiar can do touch-ranged spell attacks. That pairs well Vamperic Touch and Bestow Curse (through an invocation). If you are not taking at least some touch-ranged spells, you aren't really using the familiar to the fullest.

JellyPooga
2017-02-24, 10:05 AM
In 5e, odd stats give literally no bonus that an even stat one lower wouldn't. For example, a better build would be your Cha starting 14, +2 from Tiefling giving 16 in total.

Normally I'd agree with this sentiment, but Tieflings +1 is in Int and standard array only gives you two odd stats, neither of which you'd want to put in Int for a Warlock, really (15+1 or 13+1). The OP seems to habe a pretty decent set-up there (I might switch Dex and Con, myself, but that's my preference).

KorvinStarmast
2017-02-24, 10:18 AM
Why your DM not allow you to pick your pact choice.
That's not actually important for his question, it's a constraint that informed his class selection. The DM's world, so the DM's rules. We can't fix that from here.

With the warlock as given, we are asked to offer 'how to play' advice/guidance. Player seems to be fine with "Pact of Chain" so let's roll with that.

Do you have some advice?

My PoC Warlock experience ended (unfortunatelyl early) with the campaign dying before we got very far. As I was Archfey (had a Sprite) I have little to offer for "how to play" beyond the themes already presented. Maybe you have some experience that can help.

Gawayne
2017-02-24, 10:26 AM
I'd get myself +1 on DEX and CHA instead of the Feat.

And +3 damage to Eldricht Blast from Agonizing Blast may feel like it's not that much, but it actually increases your average damage by 50%. And don't forget it applies to every single Eldricht Blast bolt, so at lvl 5 it's actually +6 damage per cast. Just pointing it out.

Sariel Vailo
2017-02-24, 10:28 AM
using the imp you may be able to set up ambushes, does the dm allow ua because that old black magic has more demons/devils to summon. thats all im saying on that but i enjoy what ive seen thus far with what you chose

gfishfunk
2017-02-24, 11:14 AM
I'd get myself +1 on DEX and CHA instead of the Feat.

And +3 damage to Eldricht Blast from Agonizing Blast may feel like it's not that much, but it actually increases your average damage by 50%. And don't forget it applies to every single Eldricht Blast bolt, so at lvl 5 it's actually +6 damage per cast. Just pointing it out.

The damage is good, but I would much rather push for other invocations to give options. Doing a lot of damage is not nearly as interesting as, say, Casting Disguise Self at will, seeing through darkness and magical darkness, and so on.

I'm not going to argue that it is not more optimized, it just depends on what you want to do.

Mikal
2017-02-24, 11:18 AM
The damage is good, but I would much rather push for other invocations to give options. Doing a lot of damage is not nearly as interesting as, say, Casting Disguise Self at will, seeing through darkness and magical darkness, and so on.

I'm not going to argue that it is not more optimized, it just depends on what you want to do.

I disagree. All those neat options are in the end useless because you couldn't pump enough DPR out to save yourself from the hordes of Kobolds heading your way.

Get your basic damage up to a respectable level, then you can have some breathing room to play with the "fun" options.

Being alive is usually better than interesting.

Gawayne
2017-02-24, 11:37 AM

True. I was just pointing it out because I felt that OP didn't think the bonus damage from Agonizing Blast was impactful enough, it is. And ignoring it may be fine... or not. See below.

I disagree. All those neat options are in the end useless because you couldn't pump enough DPR out to save yourself from the hordes of Kobolds heading your way.

Get your basic damage up to a respectable level, then you can have some breathing room to play with the "fun" options.

I agree with your line of thought, but it actually depends a lot on what kind of campaign you're playing and how your DM build encounters. With some DMs you do have to pump your combat capabilities before thinking about anything else, with others, not so much.

gfishfunk
2017-02-24, 12:14 PM

I respect your disagreement.

But then again, how cool is it to cast darkness on your familiar and have it fly around over enemies, adjusting as they move and keeping them in magical darkness while you see right through it, and then having the familiar move to reveal one or two at a time for your PC companions to destroy?

Its better to have fun than to be very effective at damage. This is not a choice between being useless and effective, its merely a choice between very effect with at will damage and being effective with at will damage.

Mikal
2017-02-24, 12:42 PM
I respect your disagreement.

But then again, how cool is it to cast darkness on your familiar and have it fly around over enemies, adjusting as they move and keeping them in magical darkness while you see right through it, and then having the familiar move to reveal one or two at a time for your PC companions to destroy?

Its better to have fun than to be very effective at damage. This is not a choice between being useless and effective, its merely a choice between very effect with at will damage and being effective with at will damage.

I agree. All that is fun.
Except of course you can't have fun if you're tanking the floor, hence my personal motto of "business first, party second".

Just depends on your play style. I'm a more... brute force sort of guy with my Warlocks. Just my play style.

Also, more efficient than having to use limited spell slots+invocation vs. simple invocation

JakOfAllTirades
2017-02-24, 03:17 PM
Love the idea of casting Darkness on your Familiar. Hadn't thought of that one before and I'm gonna remember that one for future shenanigans.

For the OP: I'd strongly recommend finding room in your spell list for Mirror Image. It's a powerful defensive spell that will last for an entire combat/encounter, and it doesn't require concentration or expensive materials. Armor of Agathys is almost as good; although it might not last as long (temp HP tend to to go away) it'll do either do some damage or deter someone from attacking you. And again, no concentration required.

CursedRhubarb
2017-02-24, 09:05 PM
You've got Devil's Sight listed a bit weaker than it is, you can "see normally" is darkness up to 120 ft. So you can see colors in complete darkness not just grayscale like darkvision, weird as it sounds. This had actually been very useful on my lock as he could make out details the rest of the party couldn't. Like spotting a grey ooze on the ceiling of a blue marble cave.

Misterwhisper
2017-02-24, 10:32 PM
You've got Devil's Sight listed a bit weaker than it is, you can "see normally" is darkness up to 120 ft. So you can see colors in complete darkness not just grayscale like darkvision, weird as it sounds. This had actually been very useful on my lock as he could make out details the rest of the party couldn't. Like spotting a grey ooze on the ceiling of a blue marble cave.

If a DM actually uses the vision rules for Darkvision that are in the book then Devil's Sights is absolutely amazing. If they just go with the previous edition rules where Darkvision sees fine in the dark and Devil's sight is just to let you see in magical darkness, it is not as great.

I have played 5ed since playtest, never once have I seen a DM use the actual Darkvision rules, not even in official play.

Crgaston
2017-02-24, 11:38 PM
I've been playing a Chainlock for a while, and it never occurred to me that my Imp familiar could provide Advantage on Deception, Insight, Persuasion, and Stealth checks. Seeing the way you wrote this up shows that it should be able to do so. Thank you!

Voice of the Chain Master has been super helpful when the party was split, and of course for scouting. And for sowing discontent vs enemies while we were infiltrating a fortress.

I do have the Darkness spell, but I've not really used it. You should probably swap that out since you get it as a racial ability. Hunger of Hadar is so much better for Battlefield Control with Repelling Blast to knock enemies back into it. Plus Fireball, which needs no explanation. So there are my two most used spells.

Lucky, while it is a good feat... I think you'd be better off raising your Dex and Cha scores by one each. Benefits your initiative, AC, melee attacks and Spell DC and attack bonus and your Deception and Persuasion skills.

Devil's Sight, seeing as you already have Darkvision from your race, would take a back seat to Agonizing Blast for me. AB puts you on par with martial characters for at-will damage. DS is pretty amazing, though.

BillyBobShorton
2017-02-25, 03:18 AM
Dunno what some ppl are going on about dismissing Devil's Sight, but you NEED it if you plan to use darkness. Darkvision, or any other variant, is useless in magical darkness. You can't target enemies, walk in it, or see in it without Devil's Site. Might as well just cast goodberries and feed them to pigeons. I'm

Pinjata
2017-02-26, 10:01 AM
Alrighty guys. Great. Advice.

With all said and written, I have a bit re-shaped my warlock (Took Mask of Many faces due to RP reasons. Tieflings are NOT welcome in standard DnD setting and she'll be disguised most of the time). I've also switched out a few spells and I have basically 3 standard ways of acting:

a) Darkvision(must Concentrate), Eldritch blast (RB, DOB)
or
b) Mirror image(no Concentration), Eldritch blast (RB, DOB), Hunger of Hadar (must Concentrate)
or
invisible familiar bestows Vampiric Touch then a) or b) option

Also Hellish rebuke will nicely singe any guy who hits my tiefling. Hunger of Hadar was great suggestion.

https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=1123662