PDA

View Full Version : Optimization 5E Fighter Optimization Handbook

RocksInMyDryer
2017-02-24, 09:13 PM
I just finished making a guide to optimizing a Fighter in 5th Edition. This is only my second handbook ever and I took a lot of the criticism of my Barbarian Handbook and applied it to this one, but I'm still very much open to constructive criticism. Again, since I find formatting pretty complex and tedious on this forum, I figured I'd just link to the Google Document. Hopefully some others find it useful. I plan on eventually making one for each class; 2 down, 10 to go...

Here's the Handbook (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ENch0mUB3i4GOXchrzfMK8F-lBDMp-fKzDIRXGekRlw/edit?usp=sharing)!

Foxhound438
2017-02-24, 10:12 PM
An immidiate thing that I noticed:

You should definitely make mention of Polearm Master in the section about 2 hander builds. It is in fact redundant, as it gets a big explanation of its own just below, but it should be immidiately mentioned when talking about overall build options.

Less major, but two weapon fighters are about as good in strength based heavy armor builds as they are in any kind of dex build, with minor side-grade areas. I personally wouldn't make a strength based 2wf, but it's nonetheless just as viable as dex based ones.

edit: Sword and board is probably generally better as a strength build, since shield master requires you to make shoves to get full benefit from it, which in turn rely on a strength check to land.

edit 2: two weapon fighting style is totally not needed for CBE hand crossbows.

bid
2017-02-24, 10:58 PM
Confusion over long rest. You always need 8 hours to regain your spells, elves have 2 more hours for light activities.

djreynolds
2017-02-25, 03:42 AM
I just finished making a guide to optimizing a Fighter in 5th Edition. This is only my second handbook ever and I took a lot of the criticism of my Barbarian Handbook and applied it to this one, but I'm still very much open to constructive criticism. Again, since I find formatting pretty complex and tedious on this forum, I figured I'd just link to the Google Document. Hopefully some others find it useful. I plan on eventually making one for each class; 2 down, 10 to go...

Here's the Handbook (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ENch0mUB3i4GOXchrzfMK8F-lBDMp-fKzDIRXGekRlw/edit?usp=sharing)!

I like it, very nice guide

I recommend strength based for S&B, with one level of rogue for expertise in athletics and perception.

+17 to shove at 17th level... how powerful is this... you need to just roll a 8 to dump a 20th level barbarian with a 24 strength, and if you both roll 20s it is 37 vs 31... you still win

Shield master (blue) is huge with expertise in athletics, there is your advantage, with a champion... lots of crits... you can shield bash before you attack

Defensive Duelist (green/blue) And for that same strength based S&B, since your dex is 13 for the rogue, grab a rapier and defensive duelist for +6 AC at 17th level, its isn't as good as an 18th level wizard with spell mastery and the shield spell, but it ain't bad

Magic initiate (green/black) is strong (no prerequisite), grabbing hex from the warlock list to add 1d6 extra necrotic damage as you can easily maintain concentration, pretty good. Protection from evil is nice, at higher levels ,even, this is who you are fighting and it lasts for 10 minutes. Grazzt's spell DC is 23, you may fail this a lot. Heroism (bard), though 1 minute in duration works versus all enemies

Mage slayer (green) is sweet, as many creatures at higher levels have spells they cast, having advantage on those saves coupled with indomitable, lucky, and resilient wisdom can keep you in the fight versus nasty high end monsters who spells and throw is a reaction strike to boot

Athlete (black) is better than you think if enemy like say a 14th level Wolf totem automatically knocks you down... you need to get up. But very situational

Here is a champion I have used in actual game play

half orc 19 champion/ 1 rogue
20/13/16/9/14/8 AC21, HP standard 183, initiative 9
saves +11/+1/+9/-1/+8/-1
athletics 17
perception 14
insight 8
investigation 5

feats/asi
shield master
defensive duelist
resilient wisdom
mage slayer
alert (could take lucky here, or mobile, or con, or magic initiate for PFGE/Heroism)
2 strength

Survivor- why I'm here

Asmotherion
2017-02-25, 04:08 AM
Your red ratting on the Warlock is way off imo. Hex alone makes the Dip worth it, and if UA is avalable, Hexblade makes a perfect Dip for a Charismatic Fighter/Eldritch Blaster.

djreynolds
2017-02-25, 04:21 AM
Your red ratting on the Warlock is way off imo. Hex alone makes the Dip worth it, and if UA is avalable, Hexblade makes a perfect Dip for a Charismatic Fighter/Eldritch Blaster.

Even magic initiate for hex is awesome, 1d6 on all your attacks versus 1 enemy

Hexblade EK sounds down right cool.

ugugu
2018-01-08, 12:12 AM
so... little known fact about spells

spells like stoneskin or Chromatic orb does NOT consume the material components

remember that 50 gold diamond you used to throw that orb of acid? you get to keep it

unless the spell explicitly says that you need the item, and the spell will destroy it (creation) then the spell will otherwise not destroy the item.

qube
2018-01-08, 02:11 AM
so... little known fact about finesse

Dex isn't mandatory: You can chose to use DEX or STR to attack with it.

considering
- there's a d8 finesse weapon (the highest die for a one-handed weapon)
- many fighters have their reaction free (or EK have it free for the shield spell)

... defensive dualist seems to be a great feat for anyone who's got 13 dex - even if they are a one-hand-weapon strength build. because
Ends up better then the shield spell. (+6, no warcaster required)
Once per round / no resource expended
Even low level EKs can use it when an attack only barely misses them, using their shield spell for when a +2/+3 doesn't cut it, and keep their spellslot, when they really need that +5.

So, it's kind of odd that Shield gets blue'd and touted to be Probably the best defensive spell around, when defensive dualist is better (and only gets blacked or greened)

Vaz
2018-01-08, 07:35 AM
Defensive Duellist is versus a single attack. If you're only getting attacked by a single opponent with a single attack, sure, but in our last game, our fighter was surrounded by a three enemies who were able to get 3 attacks with advantage. Shield gave him a +5 AC that meant that 6 of the attacks that would have hit, missed. With Defensive Duellist, that would have ensured that only one of the attacks missed.

Defensive Duellist is actually pretty good, though, and our EK is actually taking it next level up (19) precisely so he can use it and tank harder.

Specter
2018-01-08, 08:16 AM
- If you're doing a guide at this point in the game, not only do you need to cover all archetypes, but also describe their features and how newbies can use them effectively.
- Also there are some spells missing from the EK's list from Xanathar's.

qube
2018-01-08, 01:01 PM
Defensive Duellist is versus a single attack. If you're only getting attacked by a single opponent with a single attack, sure, but in our last game, our fighter was surrounded by a three enemies who were able to get 3 attacks with advantage. Shield gave him a +5 AC that meant that 6 of the attacks that would have hit, missed. With Defensive Duellist, that would have ensured that only one of the attacks missed.true true, but consider that in your example, shield is only used vs 9 attacks. Oppositely, the game is balanced towards 8 encounters per long rest - would it not be safe to say to say, Defensive dualists is versus ... two times? three times that many attacks? How many turns per day is your fighter attacked?

Consider your EK has the maximum amount of spells (and thus be able to use shield much more then low level EKs) - and still he considers it a feat worth taking. Imagine the use of it for an EK with limited spell slots ... or any non-EK fighter.

And especially if you combine it with things such as heavy armor mastery or a champions regeneration. HAM nicely compensates for those many-attack enemies you talked about (I can't imagine it a normal situation where your fighter gets ganked with 9 attacks with advantage that would do massive damage); while regen obviously works best if you take a little damage every round.

-----
now that I look at it, not sure whey Magic Initiate is red. Sure an EK has spells - but for any other fighter? it's a world that goes open for them. (an extra concentration spell in the party, like bless or protection from evil or whatever, is always handy - even if you don't "plan" on maintaining that concentration for ever)

bid
2018-01-08, 07:35 PM
so... little known fact about necromancy

- Also there are some spells missing from the EK's list from Xanathar's.
I'm not sure the document has been updated since last February.:smallbiggrin: