PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next [Class] The Warper! (PEACH)

RabanoDOOM
2017-02-24, 10:04 PM
Another new homebrew class! Probably incredibly broken and in dire need of PEACHing! Teleports around! Warps spacetime! Black holes! Superpositions! Dark energy! Every sentence ending with an exclamation point! You want it, we've got it, please take a nice, long look at...The Warper!

The Warper

Level
Proficiency Bonus
Features

1st
+2
Spacetime Warp, Unarmored Defense

2nd
+2
Quantum Tunneling

3rd
+2
Cosmic Archetype

4th
+2
Ability Score Improvement

5th
+3
Extra Attack

6th
+3
Retry

7th
+3
Cosmic Feature

8th
+3

9th
+4
Heisenberg

10th
+4
Cosmic Feature

11th
+4
Superposition, Quantum Decay

12th
+4

13th
+5
Entanglement

14th
+5
Dark Energy

15th
+5
Cosmic Feature

16th
+5

17th
+6
Expansion

18th
+6
Cosmic Feature

19th
+6

20th
+6
Background Radiation

CLASS FEATURES
As a Warper, you gain the following class features.

HIT POINTS
Hit Dice: d6
Hit Points at 1st Level: 6 + constitution modifier
Hit Points at Higher Levels: 1d6 (or 4) + constitution modifier

PROFICIENCIES
Armor: Light Armor, Shields
Weapons: Simple, Martial Weapons
Tools: None

Saving Throws: Dexterity, Intelligence
Skills: Select 3 from Acrobatics, Arcana, History, Insight, Investigation, Medicine, Perception, and Religion

EQUIPMENT
You start with the following equipment, in addition to the equipment granted by your background:

(a) a longsword and shield (b) a longbow and 20 arrows or (c) any martial weapon
(a) a scholar's pack or (b) an explorer's pack.
Leather armor and two daggers

Spacetime Warp
On your turn, as a bonus action at the end of your turn, you can select that turn to be your Warp Point. Within 3 rounds of setting a Warp Point, as a bonus action or as a reaction at the end of another creature's turn, you may choose to activate your Spacetime Warp. Your character automatically teleports back to the space they were at on their Warp Point's turn, with their HP and conditions being changed to what they'd originally been at the end of that Warp Point's turn. If another creature occupies the same space as you'd be teleported to with your Spacetime Warp ability, you may instead either teleport to any point within 5 feet of this creature or teleport the creature 5 feet in any direction. (DC 10 + Your Int Modifier Charisma Save to resist) You may use this ability a number of times equal to 1 + (1/4 your Warper level) per short rest, (rounded up) but you may not have more than one Warp Point selected at any one time.

Unarmored Defense
While wearing no armor, you have an AC of 10 + Dex Modifier + Int Modifier.

Quantum Tunneling
As a reaction after being damaged by an attack or spell, you may teleport up to 10 feet in any direction of your choosing. The space you teleport to must be open space, and you must be able to clearly see it.

Cosmic Archetype
At level 3, you may choose a particular way in which you specialize in manipulating the fabric of spacetime, emulating this specialization through an archetype. You may choose between the Space, Time, and Gravity Archetypes. These archetypes provide you with features at 3rd, 7th, 10th, 15th, and 18th level.

Retry
After failing a skill check that doesn't have Advantage or Disadvantage imposed on it, you may reroll that skill check once more. You may use Retry a number of times equal to your intelligence modifier per long rest. Additionally, you may use Retry on the same skill check multiple times, though this still expends retry uses, and you cannot retry again if the skill check proves successful at any point.

Heisenberg
You may now use Quantum Tunneling as a bonus action immediately after making a successful attack.

Superposition
When hidden, or when a creature is incapable of seeing you, you are treated as being under the effects of a Mirror Image spell against creatures you're hidden from. (Or the creature that can't see you) This benefit is lost when you are no longer hidden or when the creature can see you.

Quantum Decay
Spacetime Warp now lasts a number of rounds equal to your intelligence modifier. (Min. 3)

Entanglement
When using Quantum Tunneling, you may also select one creature within 60 feet, teleporting them to a chosen point within 10 feet of them. They may attempt to resist teleportation. (DC 10 + Your Int Mod Charisma Save to resist) The chosen point must be open space and within your line of sight.

Dark Energy
As a bonus action, you may activate an aura of Dark Energy. While this aura is up, at the end of your turn, creatures within 5 feet of you must succeed on a Strength Save (DC 10 + Your Int Mod) or be pushed 5 feet away from you. You may deactivate this aura as a Bonus Action.

Expansion
Dark Energy's range increases to 10 feet, though still only pushes 5 feet at a time. Additionally, dark energy now attempts a push at the end of every creature's turn, rather than just your own.

Background Radiation
Creatures successfully pushed by Dark Energy are also automatically dealt 1d8+1 Force Damage.

Portal
At level 3, as a standard action, you may create two portals, both within 40 feet of you and within 80 feet of eachother, on a floor, wall, or ceiling. These portals take up a 5' by 5' space and can only be entered by a creature Large sized or smaller. Creatures and ranged attacks that enter one portal's space are instantaneously transported to the other. In addition, if you are within 5 feet of one of your portals, creatures who are within 5 feet of the other portal are treated as being within your melee range. You may only have one pair of portals functioning at any one time.

Extradimensional
At level 7, you may now cast Tenser's Floating Disk and Rope Trick at-will, at their lowest level. As an action, you may teleport up to 30 feet to an unoccupied space you can see. This ability, for all mechanics, intents, and purposes, is treated as a self-affecting instantaneous 2nd-level spell casted at-will with only a verbal component. Intelligence is your casting ability for these spells. Additionally, as a bonus action, you may increase your size category up to 1 level above or below your base size category. (For example, as a medium sized character, you may become Large or Small, but nothing beyond or below those.) Your height and width also change along with this, though your weight is unaffected.

Bigger On The Inside
At level 10, each carrying space on your person (Sacks, Backpacks, Pouches, Pockets, etc.) can be treated as a Bag of Holding, though only for the purposes of storage space and ignoring item weight.

Momentum
At level 15, Ranged Attacks that pass through portals gain an additional +1d4 damage for every time they enter and exit through a set of portals. (Max +5d4)

Aperture Science
At level 18, You may now have two pairs of portals functioning at the same time, instead of just one. Additionally, when using a standard action to create a pair of portals, you may use a bonus action to create a second pair of portals.

Rewind
At level 3, immediately after you've ended your turn, you may ask to perform a Rewind, reversing the effects of everything you've done in that turn up to that point and taking you back to the beginning of your turn. After performing a Rewind, you may not attempt to perform the exact actions you'd made before choosing to Rewind. You may rewind 2 times per short rest.

Timeless
At level 7, you may now cast Longstrider, Expeditious Retreat, and Continual Flame at-will, at their lowest level. Intelligence is your casting ability for these spells. Additionally, you no longer suffer any negatives effects from aging, and may elect to age slower or not age whatsoever.

Alternate Timelines
At level 10, at the end of your turn, and after completing your Rewind turn, you may then choose which of the two realities is actually accepted, the actions of the first turn or the actions of the Rewind turn.

Flux Competitor
At level 15, as a reaction, at the end of an enemy's turn, you may expend one Rewind use to force an enemy to Rewind, taking them back to the start of their turn and preventing them from taking the same exact actions they'd made before the rewind. Alternate Timelines does not apply to this feature.

Pause
At level 18, you may cast the Time Stop spell at it's lowest level once per day.

Gravity Well
At level 3, as a standard action, you may select a point within 60 feet. Within 60 feet of this point, movement toward it is doubled, while movement away from it is halved. Additionally, within 30 feet of this point, creatures must succeed on a DC 10 + Your Int Modifier Strength Save or be pulled 10 feet closer toward the point. Creatures within 10 feet of this point have disadvantage on this save. (Objects are also pulled toward the gravity well, though to what extend is left to the DM's discretion) You may only have 1 gravity well in place at a time.

Floaty
At level 7, you may now cast Feather Fall, Jump, and Levitate at-will, at their lowest level, so long as the target of these spells is self only. Intelligence is your casting ability for these spells. Additionally, you may freely alter your own weight to be anywhere between 1/4 of and 4 times your base weight.

Meteoric Assault
At level 10, all ranged attacks (including ranged spell attacks) that cross within 30 feet of the Gravity Well are immediately diverted toward the center of the Gravity Well. If the attack doesn't strike a creature along the way, the attack will stop at the central point of the Gravity Well.

Antigravity
At level 15, you gain a fly speed of 20 feet. Additionally, you gain the Hover capability with your fly speed, as well as the ability to move up, down, and across vertical surfaces and upside down along ceilings while leaving your hands free, gaining a climb speed of 20 feet.

Singularity
At level 18, once per long rest, as a standard action, you may expose all creatures within 10 feet of your Gravity Well to the raw gravitational power of a black hole for a very brief period of time. Anything nonmagical and not a creature within a 10 foot spherical radius of the Gravity Well is annihilated instantly. Creatures within 10 feet of the gravity well take 10d6 Force Damage. (DC 10 + Your Int Modifier Strength Save for half damage) Additionally, if the creature is reduced to 0 Hit Points by this effect, they are annihilated instantly. Magic Items take only 5d8 Force damage, saving for half damage if the save is applicable.

JBPuffin
2017-02-24, 10:20 PM
I had an idea for a half-caster class which had a similar theme...how do you make so many of these classes? I feel like at least once every two weeks, maybe more often, you've put together a new twenty-level 5e class to look over and study. It's insane.

I'm curious about something though. At level 1, what does the average Warper look like? If you want to answer for the other classes, feel free because I'm curious about them as well, but in the world of 5e, how is the stereotypical first-level Warper fighting? Right now, it seems Corvoesque - rapier and hand crossbow, a bit of jumping from point to point. When you started working on this, was that the vision you had?

Oh, one thing - what does "cast innately" mean? Are there limits to how often you can (probably the same as a tiefling or something)? What stat is it based on? That's important info to have, y'know? :smallbiggrin:

Mcdjangali
2017-02-25, 02:40 PM
Does the Portal ability from Warper work both ways in regard to being in melee range with a target?

RabanoDOOM
2017-02-25, 03:55 PM
I had an idea for a half-caster class which had a similar theme...how do you make so many of these classes? I feel like at least once every two weeks, maybe more often, you've put together a new twenty-level 5e class to look over and study. It's insane.

Caffeine, Anime, and Boredom: The 3 ultimate tools for homebrew success.

I'm curious about something though. At level 1, what does the average Warper look like? If you want to answer for the other classes, feel free because I'm curious about them as well, but in the world of 5e, how is the stereotypical first-level Warper fighting? Right now, it seems Corvoesque - rapier and hand crossbow, a bit of jumping from point to point. When you started working on this, was that the vision you had?

Yeah, now that I think about it, the level 1 Warper actually doesn't have that much of an identity. My vision was a fairly martial class that swapped out damage for mobility and strategic versatility, by teleporting around, retrying turns, and generally controlling the ebb and flow of battle. I've now made Spacetime Warp usable more often, so you have something to use more consistently at level 1. Mobility and strategic versatility are kind of key aspects for most of the class's abilities, so it's important you have the kind of mobility and strategic versatility Spacetime Warp provides you more often.

The corvoesque style may actually suit it really well, but I kind of built the class to favor any sort of martial playstyle. So, theoretically, a ranged warper should be about as effective in combat as a melee warper.

Oh, one thing - what does "cast innately" mean? Are there limits to how often you can (probably the same as a tiefling or something)? What stat is it based on? That's important info to have, y'know? :smallbiggrin:

I go with the monster manual definition of innate spellcasting, where the spell is always cast at its lowest level. Also, I should've clarified some stuff, the spells are cast at-will and the stat they're based on is Intelligence. If the at-will spellcasting of this spells proves too powerful, I'll change it to each one being cast once a day.

Does the Portal ability from Warper work both ways in regard to being in melee range with a target?

Nope. You can melee attack enemies within 5 feet of your other portal, but only you can do this. I may add an ability at some point that lets your allies also melee attack enemies within 5 feet of the connected portal, but if an enemy wants to hit you, they'll have to cross through to your portal.

Thanks for your feedback so far, guys! :smallbiggrin: I've now added an extra use to Spacetime Warp, changed its recharge to a short rest, and I fixed the wording on Extradimensional, Timeless, and Floaty.

Mr. Frostbeard
2018-01-06, 12:10 PM
Really cool idea. Love it. The only issue I have with it is that the space warper can cast Misty Step at will. That's a 2nd level spell. Maybe 3/short rest. That way you're not teleporting every turn.

Calen
2018-01-06, 04:33 PM
Spacetime Warp
On your turn, as a bonus action at the end of your turn, you can select that turn to be your Warp Point. Within 3 rounds of setting a Warp Point, as a bonus action or as a reaction at the end of another creature's turn, you may choose to activate your Spacetime Warp. Your character automatically teleports back to the space they were at on their Warp Point's turn, with their HP and conditions being changed to what they'd originally been at the end of that Warp Point's turn. If another creature occupies the same space as you'd be teleported to with your Spacetime Warp ability, you may instead either teleport to any point within 5 feet of this creature or teleport the creature 5 feet in any direction. (DC 10 + Your Int Modifier Charisma Save to resist) You may use this ability a number of times equal to 1 + (1/4 your Warper level) per short rest, (rounded up) but you may not have more than one Warp Point selected at any one time.

Restoring HP and conditions is rather broken I think. Even without it there is room for shenanigans like grappling a guy off a very tall cliff and then teleporting away. With the free healing there is no repercussion from you gathering enemies around you and having yourself fire-balled or what-have-you.

Interesting class nonetheless.

JBPuffin
2018-01-07, 12:52 AM
Restoring HP and conditions is rather broken I think. Even without it there is room for shenanigans like grappling a guy off a very tall cliff and then teleporting away. With the free healing there is no repercussion from you gathering enemies around you and having yourself fire-balled or what-have-you.

That's actually part of the point, really. There's a limited timeframe of use, limited ability to use this ability, and, to top it all off, you can't do it if you're knocked unconscious, so it's not quite the ass-pull it might've been in another situation.

Just realized, though - all the saves are 10+Int, which isn't terribly much in this edition. Any reason it's not 8+prof mod+Int mod, like normal?

I want to play one of these. Probably won't have a chance to, but I want to play one of these a lot.

Really cool idea. Love it. The only issue I have with it is that the space warper can cast Misty Step at will. That's a 2nd level spell. Maybe 3/short rest. That way you're not teleporting every turn.

1. Once again, the entire point is to have the option of teleporting every turn; otherwise...well, why the **** do you think you're any good at manipulating space?
2. This is 5e; that bonus action price is a lot more involved of a cost than you initially expect. Means no dual-wielding, for one thing.

RabanoDOOM
2018-01-07, 05:51 PM

Thank you! :smallbiggrin: I'm glad you like it!

You make an excellent point. The Warper is a mobility-centric class, especially the Space Warper, and I wanted the possibility for a lot of shenanigans involving combining the teleport with the use of your portal. Cunning action gave the rogue an extra 30 feet of movement for a bonus action, so I initially figured I could do that but as teleportation. However, it does seem to cross over the Time Warper's high movement speed turf, since this bonus action means you can dash as well as misty step. Your fix does sound quite balanced, but I want it to have symmetry with the other two classes...

How about this fix: In place of Misty Step, I give the space warper an ability that functions in the same way as Misty Step, can be done at will, and is treated as a spell, except that instead of a bonus action, it consumes an action. That way you can't reset your portals on the same turn, dual wielding and corvoesque remain viable options, and if you want to dash as well as teleport, you'll have to pick up a couple levels of rogue.

I've been considering lowering the Warper's hit die for a while now, for this exact reason. The only reason I haven't done it yet is because I've been pensive about giving a d6 hit die to a non-caster. I want the Warper to require a lot of strategic thought to pull off well, but for that to happen, there has to be some risk. The intended drawback to Spacetime Warp was that you have to think ahead with it, the time-frame you're required to use it in means you'd have to predict yourself taking a lot of damage or being put under a lot of conditions. You're supposed to use it in order to open yourself up to doing something big and risky, or preemptively against something that could potentially really hinder you. But if you have enough HP that taking a lot of damage or doing something big doesn't come with as much risk, Spacetime Warp is a bit excessive. Besides, the Warper has enough tools, the great mobility, great utility overall control over combat flow, and strategic self-heal/cleanse, that a smart one should be able to prevent damage to themselves while still making effective use of their martial capabilities.

So, to fix that, instead of directly nerfing it and possibly cutting off some of it's utility or intended use, how about instead I indirectly nerf it by lowering the Warper's hit die?

That's actually part of the point, really. There's a limited timeframe of use, limited ability to use this ability, and, to top it all off, you can't do it if you're knocked unconscious, so it's not quite the ass-pull it might've been in another situation.

Just realized, though - all the saves are 10+Int, which isn't terribly much in this edition. Any reason it's not 8+prof mod+Int mod, like normal?

I want to play one of these. Probably won't have a chance to, but I want to play one of these a lot
1. Once again, the entire point is to have the option of teleporting every turn; otherwise...well, why the **** do you think you're any good at manipulating space?
2. This is 5e; that bonus action price is a lot more involved of a cost than you initially expect. Means no dual-wielding, for one thing.

These are also excellent counterpoints! So, I've been keeping your counterpoints in mind so that my changes and fixes help balance out the Warper without ruining what's fun about them. As for the saves, I didn't want the Warper's DCs to be quite as high as that of a caster's at later levels, out of fear that since many of them aren't as limited in their use as most spells, they might be overpowered if coupled with an excessively high DC. If it's weird though, I'm totally down to change them to 8 + Prof + Int.

Thanks for the feedback everybody! I'm glad this class is getting as much positive feedback as it is. I'm going to be making those changes to the Warper I've been talking about and make an Edits and Fixes post detailing them. Thanks again for all the help! :smallbiggrin:

RabanoDOOM
2018-01-07, 06:13 PM
Edits and Fixes
- Hit die has been changed from d8 to d6
- Misty Step has been removed from the Space archetype's at-will spell list.
- The space archetype has been granted an ability similar in function to Misty Step, except used as an action instead of a bonus action.

Mr. Frostbeard
2018-01-15, 06:35 AM
Thank you! :smallbiggrin: I'm glad you like it!

You make an excellent point. The Warper is a mobility-centric class, especially the Space Warper, and I wanted the possibility for a lot of shenanigans involving combining the teleport with the use of your portal. Cunning action gave the rogue an extra 30 feet of movement for a bonus action, so I initially figured I could do that but as teleportation. However, it does seem to cross over the Time Warper's high movement speed turf, since this bonus action means you can dash as well as misty step. Your fix does sound quite balanced, but I want it to have symmetry with the other two classes...

How about this fix: In place of Misty Step, I give the space warper an ability that functions in the same way as Misty Step, can be done at will, and is treated as a spell, except that instead of a bonus action, it consumes an action. That way you can't reset your portals on the same turn, dual wielding and corvoesque remain viable options, and if you want to dash as well as teleport, you'll have to pick up a couple levels of rogue.

:smallbiggrin:

Ok: Sounds good, I like the edit

ImperatorV
2018-01-15, 05:23 PM
I was promised every sentence ending with an exclamation point. None of the sentences after the first paragraph include exclamation points. I am disappoint.

In more serious terms, I actually like this class a lot, the time and gravity subclasses in particular. I admit being a little confused at to what the Warper should be doing in combat at low levels. Prior to level 3 your class features are situational and spacetime warp can't be used very often. It seems a bit odd for a character to be stuck with just weapons and a d6 hitdice. The twice-per-short-rest heal helps, but I still feel this class really lacks options compared to spellcasters, which share the same HD.

Once subclasses come online the Warper gets a lot better, and has a lot of interesting options.