PDA

View Full Version : Extra Invocation Feat

Mcdjangali
2017-02-25, 02:58 PM
Would a feat that allowed a warlock to take an Invocation be broken?

MrStabby
2017-02-25, 03:06 PM
I don't think so. Not generally.

Issues might be at level 1 if you are using a low level only campaign - variant human warlock can pick one up then. Even so the class wouldn't be overpowered.

Specifically I don't think it is broken for a warlock to get this, as that was the question you asked. Allowing another class to take a warlock invocation is a different question entirely.

For a warlock, the first few invocations are important and then the use drops off sharply as you meet your most urgent needs. For a warlock, of say class level 5+ it is pretty weak, weaker than a feat. If you put this prerequisite on it I would make it a half feat and give +1 Cha as well.

If you allow only a single level of warlock and this can be used to support multiclassing then this is potentially a lot stronger. Given you need to be a warlock to be eligible, you could get 2 invocations for just one more level than the minimum anyway so i think it would still be ok.

Kaskus
2017-02-25, 03:11 PM
No - See Complete Arcane page 79

Mcdjangali
2017-02-25, 03:23 PM
I don't think so. Not generally.

Issues might be at level 1 if you are using a low level only campaign - variant human warlock can pick one up then. Even so the class wouldn't be overpowered.

Specifically I don't think it is broken for a warlock to get this, as that was the question you asked. Allowing another class to take a warlock invocation is a different question entirely.

For a warlock, the first few invocations are important and then the use drops off sharply as you meet your most urgent needs. For a warlock, of say class level 5+ it is pretty weak, weaker than a feat. If you put this prerequisite on it I would make it a half feat and give +1 Cha as well.

If you allow only a single level of warlock and this can be used to support multiclassing then this is potentially a lot stronger. Given you need to be a warlock to be eligible, you could get 2 invocations for just one more level than the minimum anyway so i think it would still be ok.

I think an easy fix would be to make having invocations already as the prerequisite

Thanks for your feed back!

Mcdjangali
2017-02-25, 03:28 PM
No - See Complete Arcane page 79

I should have been more clear. This is for the Warlock 5e. Unless I'm mistaken, there isn't a Complete Arcane for 5e, right?

Sicarius Victis
2017-02-26, 12:55 AM
I should have been more clear. This is for the Warlock 5e. Unless I'm mistaken, there isn't a Complete Arcane for 5e, right?

Correct. Complete Arcane was strictly 3.X