PDA

View Full Version : Gaining access to a Domain (Besides being a Cleric)

mikeejimbo
2007-07-24, 07:23 AM
Is there a feat (or something) anywhere that allows access to a Cleric domain, without being a Cleric?

I ask because I'm considering the effectiveness of being a Wizard/Archivist going into True Necromancer, and the True Necromancer requires access to the Death Domain. I considered taking a level of Cleric, but realized that the XP Penalty would hurt me there.

And of course, I want to do this because they're both based off of Int, so I'd only really have to worry about one stat.

Jewish_Joke
2007-07-24, 07:34 AM
The only thing I could think of is the epic feat Extra Domain, which allows for (obviously enough) access to another domain, and really isn't all that worth it.

My advice is to talk with your DM and see if you can't get around it, or if he would change the domain access to something more obtainable, because it seems to me it's either go cleric or go without true necro... :smallfrown:

-JJ

mikeejimbo
2007-07-24, 07:43 AM
I'm fairly certain that my DM wouldn't allow that, the idea of a Wizard/Archivist is powerful enough. (I failed to mention it's a Gestalt campaign). I'm thinking I'll probably just go Cleric/Wizard, as I was originally planning.

Leon
2007-07-24, 08:22 AM
Arcane Disciple (http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Arcane_Disciple,CD/) from Complete Divine (pg 79)

Ikkitosen
2007-07-24, 08:30 AM
Arcane Disciple is a tricky call - you get t he spells on your list and can cast them each 1/day (based off Wis) but you don't get the domain power. I'd say that's not access.

There are PrC's that give domain access...maybe you can find a list on the Wizards boards.

Person_Man
2007-07-24, 08:38 AM
Archivists already have access to every domain spell in the game. It's why they have the best spell list in the game, and why its very poor crunch decision for you to multi-class one.

If you need the granted power of the Death domain, the Complete Champion has a variant that grants access to it for Wizards in exchange for their bonus feats.

Keld Denar
2007-07-24, 08:39 AM
The Gestalt rules suggest against taking duel features classes such as Mystic Thurge, Arcane Trickster, and Eldrich Knight. Since TNecro adds spell levels of arcane and divine, I'd disallow it as a DM of a gestalt campaign, but that's just me, and your mileage may vary. At the very least, your DM should cap your caster level by your hit dice, otherwise you could gain 2 arcane or divine caster levels at a time and "outlevel" your hit dice. This would result, for example, in a character of 10th level, with 10 hit dice, who casts spells as a 13th level wizard or a 13th level cleric.

Tokiko Mima
2007-07-24, 08:50 AM
Complete Champion has a Sorcerer Alternate class feature that lets them gain access to a domain and it's spells in exchance for one spell/day and Spell Known from each spell level. I believe that requires 5 Sorcerer levels, so I'm not sure that will work for you.

mikeejimbo
2007-07-24, 09:06 AM
Archivists already have access to every domain spell in the game. It's why they have the best spell list in the game, and why its very poor crunch decision for you to multi-class one.

The beauty, though, behind Gestalt is that I wouldn't have to multi-class, and I'd have potential access to just about all the spells there are.

And my DM is allowing True Necromancer as long as I don't take another casting class beside it.