PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Behemoth (Worm)

JNAProductions
2017-02-27, 01:43 AM
Behemoth
Colossal Entity, Destructive Neutral

Armor Class 30 (Natural Armor)
Hit Points 2050 (100d20+1000)
Speed 100', Burrow 80'

Strength
Dexterity
Constitution
Intelligence
Wisdom
Charisma

30 (+10)
24 (+7)
30 (+10)
12 (+1)
18 (+4)
20 (+5)

Saving Throws Strength +28, Dexterity + 16, Constitution +28, Intelligence +10, Wisdom +13, Charisma +14
Skills All, at a +9 proficiency bonus. Expertise for +18 in Athletics.
Damage Immunities Any one energy type
Damage Resistances All
Condition Immunities Blinded, Charmed, Deafened, Frightened, Petrified, Poisoned, Unconscious
Senses Blindsight 1200', Termorsense 1200', Passive Perception 32
Languages Crush, Maim, Kill
Challenge DEAR GOD, WHY?

Incredible Jumper Behemoth can jump any distance, up to his maximum move speed (as modified by actions, such as Dash) without any checks required.

Siege Monster Behemoth does double damage to all structures.

Legendary Resistance Behemoth can choose to pass a save when he would fail. This may be used once per layer number (once for the first layer, twice for the second, etc.).

Non-Living Behemoth has no need to eat, breathe, sleep, or do anything other than destroy.

Resistance Behemoth gains advantage on all saving throws.

Earth Bound Behemoth cannot leave the Material Plane by any means.

Kill Zone Behemoth constantly exudes an aura of intense heat. Anyone not immune to fire who enters within 20' of Behemoth dies. Anyone immune to fire instead takes 20d20 (210) damage when they enter the Kill Zone, and at the start of each turn they start within in the aura.

Damage Reduction Behemoth takes 10 less damage from all sources of damage.

Layered Monstrosity Behemoth consists of 200 layers, each one much tougher than the last. To represent this, each time Behemoth is dropped to 0 HP, he immediately comes back with an additional 50% HP (3075, for instance, for layer 2), and has his Damage Reduction increased by 50% as well (15, for layer 2). In addition, at the start of each of his turns, Behemoth regains a layer with full HP. Finally, each time Behemoth goes into a new layer, he is immediately granted a new saving throw against any negative effect on him, even if one would normally not be allowed.

Actions

Extra Attack 4 Behemoth makes 5 attacks or other attack actions.

Claw Melee Attack +19 to hit, reach 30', one target or all targets in a 10' radius sphere. Hit 10d12+10 (75) damage and Behemoth can make a free grapple attempt. Miss Half damage, and no grapple attempt.

Sonic Clap Behemoth claps his hands together, unleashing a torrent of sonic destructive energy. In a 200' cone, all creatures and objects must make a DC 27 Constitution saving throw or take 8d10 (44) sonic damage and be pushed back 30'. On a success, half damage and no pushback.

Energy Manipulation Ranged Attack +16 to hit, range 1200', one target or all targets in a 20' radius sphere. Hit 10d10 (55) damage of any energy type. Miss Half damage.

Bonus Action

Change Immunity Behemoth changes which energy type he is immune to.

Reactions

Redirect Energy Behemoth redirects the energy of a blow, forcing it elsewhere. In response to taking damage, Behemoth immediately reduces the damage to 0 and redirects the damage (of the same type) to a single target within 30'. They are allowed their own saving throw or an attack roll from Behemoth (made at a +19 bonus) if applicable. Note that the damage is reduced to 0 before resistance, so the target takes full damage unless they have their own form of resistance.

Change Immunity Behemoth changes which type of energy type he is immune to as he is about to take damage.

Legendary Actions
Behemoth has 8.

Move Behemoth moves up to 100', or 80' if burrowing.

Regain Reaction Behemoth regains his reaction.

Attack Behemoth makes a single

Okay, so I know he's probably missing a LOT, but this is the basics.

Anyone think they can beat this bastard?

Arkhios
2017-02-27, 02:02 AM
I cast Disbelief and kill the beast!

...seriously though, a Claw attack? For a worm? Whaaaat? :smallbiggrin:

2017-02-27, 02:03 AM
I cast Disbelief and kill the beast!

...seriously though, a Claw attack? For a worm? Whaaaat? :smallbiggrin:

Worm is the series it's from. Here's a picture of Behemoth, for clarification:

http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/parahumans/images/5/55/Behemoth.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20160122233037

Arkhios
2017-02-27, 02:06 AM
Worm is the series it's from. Here's a picture of Behemoth, for clarification:

http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/parahumans/images/5/55/Behemoth.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20160122233037

OH! I thought it was a Worm Behemoth or something. That explains a lot, thanks!

arrowed
2017-02-27, 05:28 AM
Regarding his/it's heat aura, why doesn't it just deal flat-out fire damage, and why does it harm even those immune to fire. It's been a while since I read Worm, but I remember he bypasses the Manton effect at so many feet, not that he can literally immolate a fire elemental (and I'm pretty sure there are immune beings in-universe, if only Scion).
Also, his layer features seem a little unwieldy and maybe too strong even for him? I'd maybe just say Damage reduction increases by 5 per layer, and he comes back with full hitpoints (maybe +5HD?) Also, his layers don't regenerate that fast I think.
Finally energy manipulation should either be a reflex save or lose the half damage on a miss.
Apart from that, cool! A fun thought exercise even if this'll never see play. Assuming we can take as many lv20 characters as we want, I would take rogues (assassins?), bards (valor), sorcerers (dragon), warlocks (any blastlock) and wizards (evokers and illusionists).
Although he's an epic, even demigod-level challenge, I think there are ways to fight him.
1) Action wasting: eight legendary actions is a tall order, but with enough blasters unloading different types of energy into him, and enough rogues sniping him, he'll be forced to take reactions negating damage instead of moving to engulf people in his kill-zone. With enough people you might even be able to overcome his regeneration.
2) Mobility. The bards will be healing and buffing WAY back behind the line, with spells such as longstrider, freedom of movement, and silence (more on that later). This is why there are no fighters, barbarians etc., they could deal reasonable ranged damage, but they can't move out of range fast enough if Behemoth takes hits to move. Meanwhile buffed rogues can dash 120ft. if they have to, other caster types can fly, and occasionally teleport, to stay out of range. Rogue/caster pairs may sneak in, attack, and then dimension door out for beast results.
3) Damage mitigation. Silence negates sonic damage, which is one of the biggest threats outside that kill-zone. Unless some sorcs have subtle spell, the bards' silence spells won't be any use for the casters, but the ground-based rogues can be immunized to sonic death-cones. Beyond that, protection from energy should be one of the bard's magical secrets if they're not holding a silence spell. Energy Manipulation is a tough thing to beat as written, only numbers and healing will help there.
4) Attrition. Ultimately, any fight with Behemoth is a slogfest, and people will die. If Behemoth wants, it can move 900ft. in one round, although it'd take some more damage from the extra attacks hitting it. D&D 5e doesn't lend itself to prolonged battles, especially where casters are involved, so there'd have to be a rotation of short-rest squads (btw, song of rest will help a little there) with the rogues having long stints of kiting Behemoth for sneak attacks (actually they might need true strike to get advantage on the attack).
5) Illusions. The ace up the proverbial sleeve. Behemoth has no truesight, and his wisdom save is not massive. So we have illusions to draw fire, waste actions, provide concealment, and generally irritate the Endbringer out of its mind. Blindsight etc. compensate somewhat, but they don't outright negate it, so silent image etc. can distract him.
Have things to do now, so I must run, but I do love this monster. Great design!

2017-02-27, 06:21 AM
Regarding his/it's heat aura, why doesn't it just deal flat-out fire damage, and why does it harm even those immune to fire. It's been a while since I read Worm, but I remember he bypasses the Manton effect at so many feet, not that he can literally immolate a fire elemental (and I'm pretty sure there are immune beings in-universe, if only Scion).

In-Universe, while it's compared to "burning", my understanding was that it wasn't just "turn up the heat" as much as "pour energy into them using dynakinesis"; it's noted that people who aren't quote unquote "invulnerable" basically get more or less immediately disintegrated.

Also, his layer features seem a little unwieldy and maybe too strong even for him? I'd maybe just say Damage reduction increases by 5 per layer, and he comes back with full hitpoints (maybe +5HD?)

I agree that something like this would make Behemoth more usable for an actual game...but somehow I don't think that was the intention. The Damage Reduction of that last level is staggering, enough so that if this was intended to see actual play. Still, going forward, I'll assume your ideas are made assuming the layer rules you've described here.

Also, his layers don't regenerate that fast I think.

Really? 1 layer per six seconds is too fast? If anything, it's too slow for an accurate representation; I'm assuming the "regenerates one layer per turn" or whatever is intended to keep it simple enough to actually use, rather than being super-accurate. Behemoth had ridiculous regen in Worm.

Finally energy manipulation should either be a reflex save or lose the half damage on a miss.

Agreed from a design and fluff standpoint. I'm not sure why Behemoth is getting AoE attack rolls rather than forcing saves.

Apart from that, cool! A fun thought exercise even if this'll never see play. Assuming we can take as many lv20 characters as we want, I would take rogues (assassins?), bards (valor), sorcerers (dragon), warlocks (any blastlock) and wizards (evokers and illusionists).
Although he's an epic, even demigod-level challenge, I think there are ways to fight him.

Presuming of course that the layer changes you've suggested are put in place. Without that, getting past the DR is more or less impossible.

1) Action wasting: eight legendary actions is a tall order, but with enough blasters unloading different types of energy into him, and enough rogues sniping him, he'll be forced to take reactions negating damage instead of moving to engulf people in his kill-zone. With enough people you might even be able to overcome his regeneration.

Even with the changes you've suggested, it's going to be difficult dealing enough damage to actually make Behemoth spend more actions on staying alive than on fighting: the 11th layer in (in other words, the Behemoth that's been "killed" 10 times including layer regen) has 150d20+1500 HP (average 3075 HP) and subtracts 60 from all sources of damage...and if you can't deal that 3075 damage after DR, he regenerates a layer. That's 1/20th of the way through his layers. At the 51st layer, you're looking at 350d20+3500 (7175 HP on average) with DR 260. The 200th layer, and the last one you need to kill, has 22427 HP on average, and DR 1005. Proposing that you can bring to bear enough firepower to make Behemoth act defensively is a bold claim, even with a theoretically infinite army of 20th lvl characters - if only because they can only deal so much damage at once, only so many will be in range to even act, and tearing through that ever-increasing DR is going to be a nightmare. And that's the scaled-down version you've proposed; the full version is that bad just a couple layers in.

2) Mobility. The bards will be healing and buffing WAY back behind the line, with spells such as longstrider, freedom of movement, and silence (more on that later). This is why there are no fighters, barbarians etc., they could deal reasonable ranged damage, but they can't move out of range fast enough if Behemoth takes hits to move. Meanwhile buffed rogues can dash 120ft. if they have to, other caster types can fly, and occasionally teleport, to stay out of range. Rogue/caster pairs may sneak in, attack, and then dimension door out for beast results.

Even assuming no legendary actions (due the action-wasting plan previously proposed), this is gonna be a tall order. Kiting a dude with a 1200' ranged attack and 100' move speed isn't the easiest thing to do even before looking at how tough they are. Dimension Door and Flying can work out alright, presuming you stay out of Energy range, but Teleportation is probably the way to go...and there's only so many high-level spells you can sling around per caster.

3) Damage mitigation. Silence negates sonic damage, which is one of the biggest threats outside that kill-zone. Unless some sorcs have subtle spell, the bards' silence spells won't be any use for the casters, but the ground-based rogues can be immunized to sonic death-cones. Beyond that, protection from energy should be one of the bard's magical secrets if they're not holding a silence spell. Energy Manipulation is a tough thing to beat as written, only numbers and healing will help there.

Silence against the Sonic Clap works well, but it only shields a small area at a time...unless you're looking to Silence Behemoth himself? More problematic though is that Silence is a Concentration spell, so even if the plan is to Silence the entire front line, that can have logistical issues...but that's not really anything new for Endbringer fights. And yeah, mitigating the claws and Energy Manipulation is gonna be tough.

[/quote]4) Attrition. Ultimately, any fight with Behemoth is a slogfest, and people will die. If Behemoth wants, it can move 900ft. in one round, although it'd take some more damage from the extra attacks hitting it. D&D 5e doesn't lend itself to prolonged battles, especially where casters are involved, so there'd have to be a rotation of short-rest squads (btw, song of rest will help a little there) with the rogues having long stints of kiting Behemoth for sneak attacks (actually they might need true strike to get advantage on the attack).[/quote]

Yeah, the big issue Behemoth presents: taking him down is going to take a long time, and most characters are going to have limited resources to work with per encounter/day, and will need to rest. It gets easier if you impose the Heroic rest rules (which I think would be almost mandatory for a game where this actually happened).

5) Illusions. The ace up the proverbial sleeve. Behemoth has no truesight, and his wisdom save is not massive. So we have illusions to draw fire, waste actions, provide concealment, and generally irritate the Endbringer out of its mind. Blindsight etc. compensate somewhat, but they don't outright negate it, so silent image etc. can distract him.

Ignoring that I'm pretty sure most illusions don't work well on a thing that can't see (like Endbringers, although this one isn't explicitly standard-blind so I guess it gets a pass), I'm not sure how you intend to make an illusion good enough to convince something with 1200' blindsight that a thing is somewhere they know it's not...but then, that's how illusions work, I guess. Of course, fooling someone with advantage and +13 Wis saves is a tall order, but success is at least within the realm of possibility. And of course, the layers become problematic here as well: he gets a new save against ongoing effects on him when a layer gets knocked out, even when they don't normally offer a follow-up save.

arrowed
2017-02-27, 09:24 AM
I think you're right on most everything AvatarVecna. I didn't crunch any actual numbers in my first post, but even with DR 10 + 5 per layer, he's got DR 200 at his last level, which is flat-out invulnerable to anything, bar an assassin's critical hit max-damage death attack (244 damage with a 1d6 weapon) and possibly a few other things. So even infinite 20th level characters couldn't kill Behemoth.
However, looking in the monster manual pg8, blindsight or tremorsense defeating illusions is not specifically called out as it is in truesight, further tremorsense is called out as being unable to detect flying creatures. So I stand by illusions, especially major image, which doesn't allow a wisdom save but an investigation (intelligence) check to disbelieve. At +10, it's one of the few checks Behemoth could reliably fail (DC 19 for an optimized caster gives a 40% chance of failure).
Besides that, though, this is effectively immune to any PC, NPC, or monster in published material I think. So I'm going to say no. Nothing except another homebrewed creation could actually defeat this thing.
Also, http://worm.wikia.com/wiki/Behemoth should anyone wish to read up on him.

2017-02-27, 10:21 AM
but even with DR 10 + 5 per layer, he's got DR 200 at his last level

Most of the rest of what you had looks about right, but just clarifying on this: layer 1 is DR 10, and even if every layer after that adds 5, that's 199 more layers: 10+(199*5)=1005. Taking Behemoths last layer out requires a single effect to deal more than 1005 damage to even plink him, and that's the scaled-down version you've suggested. Illusions can work out well (at least for the current version, which is described as "the basics" :smalleek:), but convincing him the illusions are real and convincing him to focus fire on the illusions is a very different thing: if we're playing Behemoth as just fighting to destroy all combatants, some seemingly invulnerable targets might draw his attention...but generally, his destructive rampage has some larger goal involved, and illusions that won't die aren't a problem if they can't stop him.

JNAProductions
2017-02-27, 02:12 PM
Oh yeah. This thing is NOT intended to see actual play. I've made a slew of overpowered god-monsters, but Behemoth trumps them all (for the moment).

Everything else I've made? Can be feasibly taken on by a party of 20th level players. It might be tough, it might be unlikely, but it's possible.

This thing? Nah. Not happening.

2017-03-02, 07:49 AM
While I'm thinking about it, here's an altered version I'm using for a super-deadly encounter game.

Gargantuan Construct, Chaotic EvilArmor Class: 30 (Natural Armor)
Hit Points: 41 (2d20+20)
Speed: 120 ft, 100 ft Burrow

Attribute
Strength
Dexterity
Constitution
Intelligence
Wisdom
Charisma

Score

Bonus
+10
+7
+10
+7
+7
+10

Save
+20
+17
+20
+17
+17
+20

Skills
Athletics +28
Acrobatics +17

Arcana +17
Animal Handling +17
Deception +20

Sleight Of Hand +17

History +17
Insight +17
Intimidation +30

Stealth +17

Investigation +17
Medicine +17
Performance +20

Nature +17
Perception +17
Persuasion +20

Religion +17
Survival +17

Damage Immunities: Poison, any one Energy type
Damage Resistances: All
Condition Immunities: Blinded, Charmed, Deafened, Frightened, Petrified, Poisoned, Unconscious
Senses: Blindsight 1200 ft, Tremorsense 1200 ft, Passive Perception 32
Languages: None
Challenge Rating: 250 (4555000) (not really, but close-ish enough?)Aura Of Immolation: Behemoth's Aura extends 20 ft from his body. Any creature or object that enters this aura on their turn, or starts their turn there, takes 20d6 (70) fire damage (DC 28 Dex save for half) and 20d6 (70) bludgeoning damage (DC 28 Con save for half). Objects carried by creatures are not affected unless that creature dies from the Aura.

Battleborn Monstrosity: Behemoth critically hits on a 19 or 20. Additionally, when he makes a weapon attack, Behemoth may choose to subtract 5 from his attack bonus (or save DC) to increase the damage dealt by 10.

Earth Bound: Behemoth cannot leave the Material Plane by any means.

Impossibly Durable: Whenever Behemoth takes damage, he subtracts three times his current layer number from the damage taken; this is applied before damage reduction.

Layered Monstrosity: Behemoth is made of 25 "layers", akin to a Russian nesting doll. Whenever a layer is killed (whether due to damage or an effect that induces death directly), that layer is reduced to 0 HP and Behemoth's next layer becomes his current layer (restoring him to full HP plus an additional 2 HD, full Legendary Actions, and full Legendary Saves, as well as increasing the number of Legendary Saves he gets and upgrading Impossibly Durable). Any damage dealt to a layer beyond what it took to reduce that layer to 0 HP is dealt to the new layer, ignoring Impossibly Durable and damage resistance (since both have been applied to the damage once already). If Behemoth transitions to a new layer, and is affected by an ongoing effect that a save or ability check could've prevented, he receives a new save/ability check against that effect even if it doesn't normally offer additional saves to end the effect. At the start of Behemoth's turn, his current layer and the layer immediately prior to his current layer regenerate to full HP, and he resets to the previous layer's capabilities.

Legendary Saves: Behemoth has a number of Legendary Saves equal to his current layer number; when a layer regenerates to full HP, it also regenerates to full Legendary Saves. Behemoth can use a Legendary Save to succeed on a save he just failed.

Pounce: Behemoth can jump any distance, up to his maximum move speed (as modified by actions, such as Dash) without any checks required.

Siege Monster: Behemoth does double damage to all structures.

Unstoppable Juggernaut: Behemoth has advantage on all saving throws an ability checks. Behemoth does not need to eat, sleep, or breathe, and is unaffected by nonmagical environmental effects.Actions

Radiation Field: The radius of Behemoth's "Aura Of Immolation" is multiplied by 10 until the beginning of his next turn.

Multiattack: Behemoth makes five attacks, from any mix of the following options:

Cleaving Claw: Melee Weapon Attack, DC 28 Dex save, 30 ft reach, every creature in a 10 ft radius sphere.

Failure: 10d6+10 (45) slashing damage, and Behemoth may attempt a Shove for free.
Success: Half damage, an no Shove attempt.

Dynakinetic Blast: Ranged Weapon Attack, +17 to hit, range 1200 ft, one target. Hit: 8d12+7 (59) damage of an energy type you choose, and target must make a DC 25 Con save or be Stunned for one round.
Dynakinetic Disjunction: Behemoth can end a single magic effect within 600 ft as if he cast "Dispel Magic" using a ninth level slot. This counts as a spell for all purposes.
Earthquake Stomp: As "Earthquake" spell, except the duration is "Instantaneous", the area changes to 600 ft radius, the point of emanation is Behemoth himself, it creates 5d6 fissures in range instead of 1d6, and it deals maximum damage to structures.
Energy Manipulation: Ranged Weapon Attack, DC 25 Dex save, range 1200 ft, every creature in a 20 ft radius sphere.

Failure: 8d6+7 (35) damage of an energy type you choose, and creature must make a DC 25 Con save or be Stunned for one round.
Success: Half damage.

Frightening Presence: Every creature that can see or hear Behemoth must make a DC 28 Wis save or be frightened for 1 minute. A creature can repeat the saving throw at the end of each of its turns, with disadvantage if Behemoth is within line of sight, ending the effect on itself on a success. If a creature’s saving throw is successful or the effect ends for it, the creature has advantage on saves against Behemoth's Frightful Presence for the next 24 hours.
Shockwave: Every creature in a 200 ft cone emanating from Behemoth. DC 28 Con save.

Failure: 10d4 (25) thunder damage, and you are pushed back 30 ft and knocked prone.
Success: Half damage, and you are not pushed or knocked prone.

Smashing Fist: Melee Weapon Attack, +20 to hit, 30 ft reach, one target. Hit: 10d12+10 (75) bludgeoning damage, and Behemoth may initiate a grapple for free.

Bonus Actions

Change Immunity: Behemoth may change his energy immunity to an energy type of his choice.

Lightning Bruiser: Behemoth's speed is doubled until the beginning of his next turn, and he provokes no OAs for movement. All melee attacks he makes this turn deal +10 damage.

Reactions

Absorb Energy: After an effect affects Behemoth, but before the effect it has on him is determined, Behemoth may absorb the energy and put it to use fueling an attack: Behemoth suffers no consequences for the effect affecting him, and may make one attack (selected from his Multiattack options).

Redirect Energy: After an effect affects Behemoth, but before the effect it has on him is determined (and before taking Impossibly Durable/damage immunity/damage resistance/condition immunity into account), Behemoth may redirect the effect from himself to any creature or object within 30 ft (suffering no consequences for the effect originally affecting him). If the effect requires a successful attack roll or a failed save, these are made as if Behemoth was the source of the effect (+20 to hit, or DC 28 save), and otherwise work exactly as normal.

Sudden Immunity: Behemoth becomes immune to a damage type of his choice until the beginning of his next turn.

Legendary Actions

Behemoth has eight Legendary Actions per turn; if he is knocked out of his current layer, he resets to eight Legendary actions regardless of how many he has spent this turn.

Assault: Behemoth makes a single attack, chosen from his Multiattack options.

Charge: Behemoth moves his speed.

Reactionary: Behemoth regains his Reaction.

Walking Disaster (8 Legendary Actions): The radius of Behemoth's "Earthquake Stomp" and "Aura Of Immolation" are multiplied by 10 until the beginning of Behemoth's next turn.

It scales down the HP, DR, and Layered Monstrosity drastically, while still being plenty tough so as to provide a challenge. Also, it includes some upgrades and additions that I think are a good fit for the big guy. Just suggestions on my part for things that might be worth adding to the original stat block. :smallsmile:

Scaileanna
2017-03-03, 06:12 PM
Besides that, though, this is effectively immune to any PC, NPC, or monster in published material I think.wish to read up on him.

technically gods and other such powerful deities cause they could just be like "oh that's scary let's erase it from existence" cause you know gods do whatever they want