PDA

View Full Version : I just wanted to share how my party slayed a Beholder last week

Douche
2017-03-06, 11:34 AM
Party is level 10. The Beholders lair was the stereotypical series of tunnels, but interweaved through a large underground chasm where there was a bunch of rope bridges. If you ever played Bloodborne, I imagined it like the chalice dungeons with the huge rope bridges... Ailing Loran?

Anyway, the Beholder has created a cult where he is the object of worship. We arrive under the pretense that we are there to join the cult, but are wary of submitting to a mind control ritual. We reach their chamber where we are to shed our previous lives, when our monk gets tired of the charade & starts attacking, at which point we start slaughering cultists.

One combat later, the voice of the Beholder we're hunting booms from the rope-bridge chasm. He wants us to come out there to face his judgment. I start thinking of ways to set up a trap for him inside the tunnels, as I thought that'd be safer than fighting over a huge open chasm of unstable bridges. Our druid is not so patient. He sticks his head out & casts Call Lightning to start pestering the Beholder.

A few rounds later, we give up on luring the Beholder into the tunnels (which was probably the more dangerous environment anyway). The rest of the party moves into the chasm, I arrive (as the cleric) and manage to cast Banishment with a success. Now we have 1 minute to set ourselves up. The Beholder is 50 feet above us, by the way.

So our druid wildshapes into a Giant Eagle. He flies the Paladin & myself to a bridge above where the Beholder was banished. All the while, the cult leader is pestering us with Eldritch blast, and there are archers firing at us with Longbows as well. The party wizard, with his Boots of Spider Climbing, follows us up the wall as well.

Now we're set up. Wizard uses Haste on the Paladin. I end my concentration on Banishment, and we both leap off the bridge at the Beholder. Wizard uses Feather Fall on us. Paladin grapples the Beholder in midair. I only meant to use a Bestow Curse on the Beholder, but fail (rather, the Beholder succeeds on his save), but I safely Feather Fall back to another bridge.

For the next few rounds, our Hasted Paladin pounds the Beholder in midair as his weight exceeds it's carrying capacity, causing it to slowly descend towards the rest of the party, far below. I'm casting Guided Bolt to give advantage on attacks. The Paladin crits, max level smites, three attacks per turn. The Beholder desperately uses all it's eyebeams, legendary & lair actions to try & get the Paladin off him.

Within maybe 2 rounds, the Beholder was dead. Wizard uses Web to catch the corpse of the Beholder (we need it's central eye) along with the Paladin. Session ended there. We still need to get the cultists to leave us alone now, no need to slay them all.

In essence, I felt it was a really cinematic moment. Jumping off the bridge & stabbing a Beholder to death in midair, with the support of the rest of the team. Fun stuff. Immense success.

NNescio
2017-03-06, 11:37 AM
Party is level 10. The Beholders lair was the stereotypical series of tunnels, but interweaved through a large underground chasm where there was a bunch of rope bridges. If you ever played Bloodborne, I imagined it like the chalice dungeons with the huge rope bridges... Ailing Loran?

Anyway, the Beholder has created a cult where he is the object of worship. We arrive under the pretense that we are there to join the cult, but are wary of submitting to a mind control ritual. We reach their chamber where we are to shed our previous lives, when our monk gets tired of the charade & starts attacking, at which point we start slaughering cultists.

One combat later, the voice of the Beholder we're hunting booms from the rope-bridge chasm. He wants us to come out there to face his judgment. I start thinking of ways to set up a trap for him inside the tunnels, as I thought that'd be safer than fighting over a huge open chasm of unstable bridges. Our druid is not so patient. He sticks his head out & casts Call Lightning to start pestering the Beholder.

A few rounds later, we give up on luring the Beholder into the tunnels (which was probably the more dangerous environment anyway). The rest of the party moves into the chasm, I arrive (as the cleric) and manage to cast Banishment with a success. Now we have 1 minute to set ourselves up. The Beholder is 50 feet above us, by the way.

So our druid wildshapes into a Giant Eagle. He flies the Paladin & myself to a bridge above where the Beholder was banished. All the while, the cult leader is pestering us with Eldritch blast, and there are archers firing at us with Longbows as well. The party wizard, with his Boots of Spider Climbing, follows us up the wall as well.

Now we're set up. Wizard uses Haste on the Paladin. I end my concentration on Banishment, and we both leap off the bridge at the Beholder. Wizard uses Feather Fall on us. Paladin grapples the Beholder in midair. I only meant to use a Bestow Curse on the Beholder, but fail (rather, the Beholder succeeds on his save), but I safely Feather Fall back to another bridge.

For the next few rounds, our Hasted Paladin pounds the Beholder in midair as his weight exceeds it's carrying capacity, causing it to slowly descend towards the rest of the party, far below. I'm casting Guided Bolt to give advantage on attacks. The Paladin crits, max level smites, three attacks per turn. The Beholder desperately uses all it's eyebeams, legendary & lair actions to try & get the Paladin off him.

Within maybe 2 rounds, the Beholder was dead. Wizard uses Web to catch the corpse of the Beholder (we need it's central eye) along with the Paladin. Session ended there. We still need to get the cultists to leave us alone now, no need to slay them all.

In essence, I felt it was a really cinematic moment. Jumping off the bridge & stabbing a Beholder to death in midair, with the support of the rest of the team. Fun stuff. Immense success.

Why didn't the Beholder use its AMF cone?

Dalebert
2017-03-06, 11:42 AM
Well, you can't cast Call Lightning underground. That's a thought. The other thought is how did so much magic happen with the Beholder having a massive cone of anti-magic? You banished it? It should have had the cone trained on the tunnel until you came out to where it wanted you to be and then kept that cone on any castery-looking folk while shooting beams at the melee types and staying out of melee. Your DM didn't play him very tactically it seems to me but I wasn't there so hard to say.

We fought it with magical Darkness, a beholder's bane. If it can't see you, it can't shoot its beams at you. If it uses the anti-magic cone, it can see you but its beams don't work due to anti-magic. My monk then ran over a wall to it and stunned it in one round at which point we proceeded to beat it to death. It was over in about 2 rounds.

In fact, magical Darkness is SO effective against a beholder that they should really have contingencies in place to deal with it, even if it's just a couple of casters around ready to Counterspell or Dispel it or some Continual Flame spells cast at 3rd or higher level on hand which would be even better as they would illuminate the Darkness.

Oh, but then you just use Fog Cloud. *shrug*

Douche
2017-03-06, 11:50 AM
Why didn't the Beholder use its AMF cone?

It did. I was just trying to keep things concise.

The Beholder actually aimed it's eye upward to dispel the storm cloud from the Druid's Call Lightning. That's also why he wasn't looking at the tunnel that I cast Banishment from.

If you're curious, the Beholder also used his AMF on the spider climbing wizard to make him fall 200 ft, which is how the wizard was in a position to use web to catch the Beholder corpse. I just dislike when people put too much extraneous detail into the post. I was giving you the essentials to tell you how cool it felt.

Well, you can't cast Call Lightning underground. That's a thought. The other thought is how did so much magic happen with the Beholder having a massive cone of anti-magic? You banished it? It should have had the cone trained on the tunnel until you came out to where it wanted you to be and then kept that cone on any castery-looking folk while shooting beams at the melee types and staying out of melee. Your DM didn't play him very tactically it seems to me but I wasn't there so hard to say.

I don't see any reason why not. Anyway, as I mentioned, the Beholder was looking straight up to keep the cloud suppressed, which is why I was able to Banish.

NNescio
2017-03-06, 11:56 AM
Well, you can't cast Call Lightning underground.

You could if there's 100 ft of airspace, I guess.

Millstone85
2017-03-06, 11:59 AM
Well, you can't cast Call Lightning underground.I had to verify that.

So it turns out the spell deals 1d10 more damage if you are already under a stormy sky. Otherwise, the spell makes its own little angry cloud for lightning bolts to shoot out of.

Dalebert
2017-03-06, 12:09 PM
Well, you can't cast Call Lightning underground.

This has been a learning moment for me. I was about to go quote the part of the spell that said that. Turns out you can cast it anywhere there's room.

It does, however, take a LOT of room. The cloud has to have 120 foot diameter space to form in and it has to form 100 feet above you. So in a VERY large chamber, it could be cast underground. The chasm you were in was only 100 ft in diameter so it wasn't quite big enough. It technically shouldn't have worked but for a different reason.

No brains
2017-03-06, 12:23 PM
It's a shame that this phrase has been abused with sarcasm, but that really was a pretty cool story, bro! :smallsmile: