PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Skinchanger (Druid/Barbarian mashup)

Jorgumander
2017-03-15, 11:29 AM
So here's my thoughts on this. My oldest daughter is running a barbarian, and she is enjoying it very very much. She doesn't want to be a primary caster, but would like to be able to possibly change shape and have some utility outside of combat. To help her out, I was thinking of mashing up the two classes a little.

So far, she is playing the totem animal barbarian (can't remember the name off the top of my head). We found a shark totem online that she really loves.

So I wanted to perhaps give her the ability to wildshape INSTEAD of, or perhaps as well as rage. I figure it it's tied to her number of rages per day it should be fair enough. Give her 2-4 cantrips. And as for casting, the ability to cast ritual spells from the druid spell list?

So instead of getting the totem bonuses, she would just change shape into certain animal forms. Help?

Jorgumander
2017-03-16, 10:54 AM
Update:

So my daughter really likes this idea. We are still working out what forms are ok to take. So for now we are thinking a very limited amount. Something like when a barbarian would be able to choose a totem animal, you choose a form to change into. And use Druid guidelines for hit dice and stuff like that.

She really liked being able to have a few cantrips and ritual spells for out of combat usefulness. Added greatly to the roleplayablity. Her primary complaint before was she didn't have much to do out of combat.

Admittedly, she is new to both roleplaying AND to these 5E rules (I'm new to 5E as well) so we are still learning.

Another thing she really liked was being able to choose between Raging and Shapeshifting. While she is my oldest, I would like to work on balance issues. Although last night's gaming session didn't reveal any problems with our homebrew of any of the classes.

Mith
2017-03-16, 11:17 AM
It could work to give the totem bonuses, but allow the character to burn a Rage to Shapeshift instead of Raging to take form of the totem. I would give this form same damage as listed in the statblock, and perhaps give the character free communication with animals in this form. Totem Barbarians already have speak with animals as a ritual, so I think that would be fine.

Jorgumander
2017-03-16, 11:28 AM
It could work to give the totem bonuses, but allow the character to burn a Rage to Shapeshift instead of Raging to take form of the totem. I would give this form same damage as listed in the statblock, and perhaps give the character free communication with animals in this form. Totem Barbarians already have speak with animals as a ritual, so I think that would be fine.

OOH! Good idea! That would also fit her real life personality!