PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Paladin Subclass: Oath of Resolution [PEACH]

zeek0
2017-03-17, 01:25 AM
I recently posted an Oath of Justice subclass. If you haven't figured it out, I'm working loosely based on the traditional trio of Inevitables - Zelekhut, Marut, and Kolyarut.

This paladin subclass ended up as mostly a mage-slayer, since those defying death are more likely to be liches than crime lords. But I think that the base class has enough other features that they won't feel like a one trick pony (let me know if this isn't the case).

Please give general feedback, but I also have some specific questions!
1. Does the pursuit of constructs fit well with the class?
2. Is Obscuration reasonable? Does it interact the the rules in weird ways?
3. Is the damage in Entropy Knight too high? I compared it to the Devotion capstone, but I wasn't sure.

So without further ado,

Oath of Resolution
The Oath of Resolution is a commitment to the ending of all things. Sometimes called death huntsmen or annulment knights, paladins who swear themselves to this oath work ceaselessly to ensure the inevitability of death and the conclusion of magics or corruptions that linger beyond their time.. At the smallest, they hunt creatures who cheat death through unnatural means – and at their greatest may pursue the gods themselves.

Tenets of Resolution
The tenets of the Oath of Resolution signify not only the paladin’s purpose, but their attitude toward the living as well.
Final Death. All things must end.
Natural Life. Do not allow the life that every being is allotted to be subverted unnaturally.
Relentless Pursuit. Pursue the perpetual unceasingly, and hunt chosen objects to their conclusion.
Beauty in the Ephemeral. Delight in the fleeting and transitory, and protect it with all your might.

Oath Spells
You gain oath spells at the paladin levels listed.

Paladin Level.............Spells
3rd...........................detect magic, shield of faith
5th...........................nondetection, silence
9th...........................magic circle, protection from energy
13th.........................banishment, locate creature
17th.........................dispel evil and good, flame strike

Rejection of Fabricants
Constructs, like the undead, have an unnatural place in the living order. For any spell or ability that specifically affects undead, you may also choose for it to affect constructs.

Channel Divinity
When you take this oath at 3rd level, you gain the following two Channel Divinity options.
Abjure Magics. You can use your Channel Divinity to strip away magical effects. Choose a creature, object, or magical effect within 20 feet. Any spell equal to or lower than half your paladin level on the target ends. For each spell of higher level on the target, make a Charisma check against a DC of 10 + the spell’s level. On a successful check, the spell ends.
Turn the Deathless. You can use your Channel Divinity to utter words that draw undying closer toward final death. As an action, you present your holy symbol, and each undead or construct within 30 feet of you that can hear you must make a Wisdom saving throw. On a failed save, the creature is turned for 1 minute or until it takes damage.
A turned creature must spend its turns trying to move as far away from you as it can, and it can’t willingly move to a space within 30 feet of you. It also can’t take reactions. For its action, it can use only the Dash action or try to escape from an effect that prevents it from moving. If there’s nowhere to move, the creature can use the Dodge action.

Aura of Warding
At 7th level, your protections against foul magics lie so heavily upon you that it forms a defensive ward. You and friendly creatures within 10 feet of you have resistance to damage from spells.
At 18th level, the range of this aura increases to 30 feet.

Obscuration
At 15th level, you and other creatures within a 30 foot radius are obscured from detection magics. Magical effects (such as glyph of warding or contingency) cannot sense the presence of affected creatures. Affected creatures cannot be targeted or located by divination magic, and they cannot be perceived by magical sensors.
Also, a creature that perceives the world solely through magical means (such as animated armor’s blindsense) cannot perceive you in this way.
Without taking an action, you may suppress this ability for 10 minutes.

Entropy Knight
At 20th level, you may emanate an aura of entropy, denying structure and inching nearby enemies closer to final death. As an action, an aura extends 20 feet from you and lasts for 1 minute. The following effects occur:
• Upon activation, all magical effects within range end. Any creature within range immediately loses concentration.
• For the duration, no body within range may be raised from the dead, and any creature within range that dies may never be the subject of a necromancy effect.
• For the duration, any enemy creature in range that takes damage takes an additional 10 necrotic damage. This damage cannot be reduced.
An updated version of this homebrew lies in my signature (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=20886261&postcount=285). Let me know if you have any questions!

zeek0
2017-03-24, 12:16 AM
I'm going to bump this thread once. Please respond and let me know if this subclass passes muster, or not.