PDA

View Full Version : Any Sane DM

Thinker
2007-07-26, 11:16 AM
I have heard many things of "any sane DM" and "DM probably" does this. Who is this mythical "sane DM" who "probably" does anything? I disagree with anyone who claims authority over what a large group of people would do, but let's make it a game. Since I have been lurking here I have been keeping track of this DM who has all the answers and here are some of them:

because their saves are high enough to resist save or sucks (the DM probably made sure of it)

As for orange ioun stones stacking, not with any sane DM.

Why on earth would any sane DM allow for healing or buffing traps?

no sane dm would ever allow the dragon as animal companion because

(barring the infinite wish/titan chains that any sane DM or PvP organiser will bar since it shuts down the campaign by logic even before any player character can enter play in it)

What other things does this mighty bastion of reason and wit do? Usually generalizations suck, but I'd like to see more things that the "Sane DM" has or would do.

SITB
2007-07-26, 11:19 AM
Allow something from the Theorized Optimisation board?

Say, Pun-Pun.

lord_khaine
2007-07-26, 11:24 AM
nahh, thats something No Dm would allow, Any sane Dm on the other hand, would proberly disallow it.

Thinker
2007-07-26, 11:25 AM
How about:

Any Sane DM wouldn't allow melted chocolate near the character sheets.

Fixer
2007-07-26, 11:26 AM
Whoa... whoa... whoa...

There are SANE DMs?

Dude, you just blew my mind...

And it isn't sure it liked it. ;)

grinner666
2007-07-26, 11:28 AM
Waitaminnit. Sane DM? Sorry, I don't buy it.

Thinker
2007-07-26, 11:28 AM
If there weren't a Sane DM, no one would be able to quote them so often. Come up with your own Sane DMisms :smallsmile:

AKA_Bait
2007-07-26, 11:37 AM
How about this one?

Would realize that halucinogenic drugs and fantasy roleplaying games are a recipe for disaster.

Tengu
2007-07-26, 11:37 AM
Sane DMs do not play DND. And because the GM is known as DM only in DND, therefore sane DMs do not exist.

Thinker
2007-07-26, 11:38 AM
Sane DMs do not play DND. And because the GM is known as DM only in DND, therefore sane DMs do not exist.

You could just call it Sane GMs if you want to contribute :smalltongue:

AKA's is good.

Khantalas
2007-07-26, 11:38 AM

Was about to say that, but thought it would sound too arrogant. But yeah, there are sane Storytellers and Game Masters. A sane Dungeon Master is just a dream.

Tengu
2007-07-26, 11:43 AM
Any sane DM/GM who knows that one of his players is a total fanboy would investigate where is he taking all his ideas from, so he wouldn't later find out that it's all completely ripped off from Bleach.

I'm not sane.

SurlySeraph
2007-07-26, 08:37 PM
No sane DM would allow a character's first words of the campaign to be "Pazuzu, Pazuzu, Pazuzu" or his last words to be "Hastur, Hastur, Hastur."
No sane DM would allow you to use Wish to obtain a Ring of Three Wishes. No sane DM would allow you to use Gate to summon a creature to grant you a wish AND do other things for you.
No sane DM would allow infinite feedback loops of any kind.
No sane DM would allow a vorpal spiked chain.
No sane DM would allow recursing (http://xkcd.com/244/).

Matthew
2007-07-27, 01:00 AM
Sounds like fun.

No sane DM plays by the RAW!

Ramza00
2007-07-27, 01:11 AM
Any sane DM will not allow you to use Legendary Champion to progress Unbound Scroll pass lvl 5 (even though it is acceptable via the rules as written). Scrolls get 5% cheaper each level with the exception of 2 lvls of lc. With the artisan feats, and the ninth college resource text you can craft scrolls of wish and miracle at 0 gp and xp cost.

Wizard 5/Unbound Scroll 5/Legendary Champion 10
Cast as a 17th lvl Wizard
Legendary Artisan and Extraordinary Aristan as your feats.

+25% from Artisan Feats
+25% from 5 lvls of Unbound Scroll giving your master scribe 5%*Class Level
+40% from Legendary Champion which progresses Unbound Scroll by 8 more levels (5%* Class Level)
+10% from buying the basic materials you use to craft scrolls from the Ninth College. Note you can lose this benefit if you fall out of favor with the Ninth College (which is the organization which Unbound Scrolls belong too)
=100% reduction in the cost of crafting scrolls, including scrolls with xp costs such as wish and miracle (you grab miracle through arcane disciple)

One more beauty of an item is located in Complete Mage called the quill of scribing, for 1,750 gp and the use of one standard action to activate it the quill of scribing does all the work of generating a scroll just like a homunculi and you pay all xp costs, gp costs, and it takes the normal time frame. You can have multiple copies of the quill of scribing.

Tokiko Mima
2007-07-27, 01:35 AM
Any sane DM will not allow you to take apart 10-foot ladders and resell them as two 10 foot poles, even if you used Mending to fill in the holes first.

Any sane DM will realize that 8,400gp Candles of Invocation casting Gate and allowing an limitless stream of Wish-granting Solars into the universe is probably a bad idea, unless your campaign revolves around getting rid of the Solars someone else gated in. :smallbiggrin:

Any sane DM will realize that the story is more important than the mechanics.

Xuincherguixe
2007-07-27, 03:57 AM
This mythical Sane DM sounds like a creature I would prefer to avoid. What fun is sanity?

Ssiauhll
2007-07-27, 12:23 PM
Any sane DM would shudder and weep at most of what goes on in these threads. Or simply say no, thats a powerful word that no.

Fax Celestis
2007-07-27, 12:54 PM
This mythical Sane DM sounds like a creature I would prefer to avoid. What fun is sanity?

It's a CR "It Wins" encounter.

Folie
2007-07-27, 01:02 PM
I think it's supposed to be like the "reasonable person (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reasonable_person)" or "reasonable man" concept they use in legal reasoning. Without applying a "reasonable person" standard to people's actions, it would be impossible to convict anybody for crimes such as negligence or trespassing. Even though both the concepts of the "reasonable person" and "AnySaneDM" are subjective and therefore (potentially) faulty, I feel that using them is a lesser evil - compared to allowing people to run around doing all kinds of crazy crap with impunity.