PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Barbarian Subclass: Moonborn?

Shadow_in_the_Mist
2017-03-23, 05:43 AM
So, I'm not normally a huge fan of Barbarians, but, I stumbled across something recently that's caught my attention. In the "Horror Adventures" splat for Pathfinder, there's a Barbarian archetype called the Moonborn. Essentially, it lets you emulate being a werebeast by taking the more reasonable approach that you only shapeshift during the throes of Rage.

Now, 5e and PF are very different beasts. But, I was curious: do you think that this archetype could be converted into functioning under the 5th edition ruleset? If yes, would you be interested in discussing how to do so? I'm happy to share the PF rules for it and I'm interested in branching out from my usual arcanist focus, so I'd love to give this a shot and see if it can be done.

GalacticAxekick
2017-03-23, 10:14 AM
So, I'm not normally a huge fan of Barbarians, but, I stumbled across something recently that's caught my attention. In the "Horror Adventures" splat for Pathfinder, there's a Barbarian archetype called the Moonborn. Essentially, it lets you emulate being a werebeast by taking the more reasonable approach that you only shapeshift during the throes of Rage.

Now, 5e and PF are very different beasts. But, I was curious: do you think that this archetype could be converted into functioning under the 5th edition ruleset? If yes, would you be interested in discussing how to do so? I'm happy to share the PF rules for it and I'm interested in branching out from my usual arcanist focus, so I'd love to give this a shot and see if it can be done.The barbarian already has a limited number of rages per day. Just let them convert rages into Wild Shapes, or let them gain element of Wild Shape in their rage.

Steampunkette
2017-03-26, 08:38 AM
You could just have it be fluff.

"I rage and turn into my werewolf form!"

"Cool. You gain a Bite Attack that deals the same damage and has the same bonuses as your Greataxe. And now you can use all your Wolf Totem abilities."

"I'm gonna switch to dual-wielding axes."

"Oh, so going to claw attacks? That works fine."

Problem solved!

For an actual Moonborn subkit... I'd... probably give them something similar to the Totem Barbarian's abilities just tied to a specific animal. Maybe a -little- more powerful and give them the silver allergy so they gain vulnerability to Silvered weapons while raging (And thus take full damage instead of half damage).

JNAProductions
2017-03-26, 02:50 PM
Imma just leave this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=20358035&postcount=201) here.

I had a player who was a Barbarian, but wanted to turn into a wolf. So I asked for that.

Morphic tide
2017-04-12, 12:00 PM
Personally, I'd have it set up like the Totem Barbarian, where you have one form that you pick at the start. Like, choosing the Wolf form gives you a little bit of party-buffing, for instance, and the choice of animal determines the statline of your attacks.