PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next 5e Sacred Fist (monk way) - Input wanted

Specter
2017-03-24, 11:10 AM
WAY OF THE SACRED FIST
A sacred fist is a monk who attuned himself to higher powers, which in turn granted him magical powers similar to a priest. These monks have forsworn the use of weapons. They consider their bodies and minds gifts from the deities, and they believe that not developing those gifts to their fullest potential is a sin. Whatever their true beliefs are, Sacred fists are strong in faith, will, and body.

SPELLCASTING
When you reach 3rd level, you augment your martial prowess with the ability to cast spells. Wisdom is your casting ability for these spells.
Cantrips. You learn two cantrips of your choice from the cleric spell list. You learn an additional cleric cantrip of your choice at 10th level.
Spell Slots. The Sacred Fist Spellcasting table shows how many spell slots you have to cast your spells of 1st level and higher. To cast one of these spells, you must expend a slot of the spell’s level or higher. You regain all expended spell slots when you finish a long rest.
For example, if you prepared the 1st-level spell bless and have a 1st-level and a 2nd-level spell slot available, you can cast bless using either slot.
Spells Known of 1st-Level and Higher. You know three 1st-level cleric spells of your choice. The Spells Known column of the Sacred Fist Spellcasting table shows when you learn more cleric spells of 1st level or higher. For instance, when you reach 7th level in this class, you can learn one new spell of 1st or 2nd level. Whenever you gain a level in this class, you can replace one of the cleric spells you know with another spell of your choice from the cleric spelllist. The new spell must be of a level for which you have spell slots.

Monk Level
Cantrips Known
Spells Known
1st
2nd
3rd
4th

-
-
-

-
-
-

-
-
-

-
-
-

-
-

-
-

-
-

-
-

-
-

-
-

-

-

-

-

-

-

CLARITY OF THOUGHT
Starting at 3rd level, you can grant yourself advantage on one Intelligence check you make. After you use this feature, you can't use it again until yu finish a long rest.

CODE OF CONDUCT
A sacred fist takes pride in never trusting his life to a weapon, and the divine powers smile at his decision. Thus, a sacred fist cannot use weapons. If he does so willingly, he loses his Spellcasting feature and all the other features of this way until he atones (during a short or long rest).

BLINDSENSE
At 6th level, you gain uncanny sensivity to vibrations, scent and sound around you, granting you blindsense up to 10 feet. Additionally, you can take the Search action as a bonus action.

INNER ARMOR
Starting at 11th level, you can invoke the power of your serenity to strenghten yourself. As a bonus action, you can activate a ward that gives you advantage on all saving throws and adds your proficiency bonus to your Armor Class. This boon lasts for a number of rounds equal to your Wisdom modifier. After you use this ward, you can't use it again until after you finish a long rest.

BODY AND MAGIC
Starting at 17th level, when you use your action to cast a spell, you can make an unarmed strike as a bonus action (or two, if you use your Flurry of Blows ability).

Design rant:
This is obviously a draft, so any suggestions are welcome. Most of the features are just an adaptation of the oldschool Sacred Fist from 3.5, with the exception of Body and Magic which is a ripoff from EK's Improved War Magic, meant to combine attacks and magic. I'm not sure if Inner Armor should be a long or short rest feature. If anyone can make a table out of that table, I'd appreciate it, I can't do it in this forum.

BobMacBobson
2017-03-24, 11:41 AM
This looks really good! The only thing that might be confusing is the inner armour ability. Adding your proficiency bonus to your saving throws: what about saving throws you're already profficient in? On top of that, at 14th level monks already gain proficiency in all saving throws.

Maybe drop the saving throw aspect and just bump the AC increase up to once per short rest?

Specter
2017-03-24, 03:00 PM
This looks really good! The only thing that might be confusing is the inner armour ability. Adding your proficiency bonus to your saving throws: what about saving throws you're already profficient in? On top of that, at 14th level monks already gain proficiency in all saving throws.

Maybe drop the saving throw aspect and just bump the AC increase up to once per short rest?

You're right. I've changed it to two different things.

BobMacBobson
2017-03-24, 04:31 PM
You're right. I've changed it to two different things.

Yeah, that works. Have you thought about domains at all? Maybe something similar to the warlock patron spells: have the option of taking them, but don't have them automatically prepared.

But that's not necessary, obviously. It seems to work fine the way it is now.

Specter
2017-03-29, 11:10 AM
I've changed Divine Senses to give Search as a bonus action, and added a ribbon feature at level 3.

Yeah, that works. Have you thought about domains at all? Maybe something similar to the warlock patron spells: have the option of taking them, but don't have them automatically prepared.

But that's not necessary, obviously. It seems to work fine the way it is now.

I want to avoid domains to keep it simple, and to unplug the archetype from any specific deity. Sacred Fists may not even know who's granting them power.

BobMacBobson
2017-03-29, 12:18 PM
I want to avoid domains to keep it simple, and to unplug the archetype from any specific deity. Sacred Fists may not even know who's granting them power.

Fair enough!