PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other The Mentalist's Idea Pool! What will we see next?

The Mentalist
2017-03-27, 09:14 PM
I have far too many ideas to keep logged in paper form since the meds started helping me be active again and also not nearly enough time to do them all in so I come to the community to see what you would all like to see next. Below is a list of descriptions of ideas that I have soft crunched but unformatted and I am asking what you would all like to see rushed out the door.

Paragon in a Can
The Paragon template is far beyond the ability of any one spell or even any one caster to bestow but a cabal of evil Wizards, Priests, and Psions all joining forces to create an army of superbeings? That my friends is what stories are made of. Basically a series of spells and powers that when applied to a creature grant instant bonuses in small increments with a combined Druidic magic can be passed down along generations as well as Rogue, Fighter, and Barbarian abilities to train them

You found WHAT?! Where?!
Things from the material aren't really meant for the inner planes, cloaks burst into flame on the plane of ash, potions just mix into the plane of water, your precious spyglass was crushed on the plane of mineral but sometimes, ever so rarely these items fall into a safe place in the planes for a very long time and take on some of the qualities of the location.

Mostdefinitelynotamon
I started this years ago trying to stat up every Pokemon I cared about (Gens I and II) but got overwhelmed and so have decided to retry this as a series of special abilities (think Draken's mutations) that can be added to any creature making it a "Pokemon" the three lists will be moves that will mostly be special attacks and qualities, types which will be light templates, and abilities which will be a large grab bag of things. May do natures as Magebred style templates as well

And on that note!
Magebred rocks my socks. I freaking love that template and have done some similar to it. So far around the nine schools of the Sublime Way and the eight schools of magic. Considering adding domains to this list and maybe something with psionics.

Godly Domains
There's not really much support other than complete Champion to expand on most of the domains of the deities. I have been beating my head against a wall finding ways to make clerics more interesting based off their deity and domain choices and have a list of Weapon/Armor enchantments and a few fun pieces of basic equipment attuned to Domain. Thunderstone of the Sun, War Smokestick, stuff like that.

I got Magic in my Magic
Magic the Gathering and Dungeons and Dragons are a match made in nerd heaven but there's very little stream crossing but I see keywords on cards like "Propagate" and I think "Propagate Spell +2 Metamagic" also adding Myr and Slivers to D&D

Alternate Potions
This is one I've rough drafted four times and have hated four times but potions that are used differently and grant effects differently than the base spell for example a Bath Bomb of Mage Armor. You have to soak in the bath for at least thirty minutes but you get the effect for ten times as long and the bonus is double. Some of these would be the same cost just different usages providing different drawbacks to use and some would cost more.

And the Last Paragraph Break
I've broken my wrist a total of nine times and think about bones rather more than I should but I got to thinking instead of holding a wand what if one of the bones in your finger was a wand? Or your tooth a potion or your ribs a wand that you had to center on yourself or your blood an ever replenishing potion you could wound yourself to give your friend or just active the charge with a thought? What if your heart turned all your blood into a potion and could your blood potions be double potions or would you just get the effects of one? This is the roughest I have but I rather like the concept of "Spellborging" someone

The Good and the Desperate
Spawn of Tiamat really interested me and what happens when desperate priests of Bahamut risk excommunication and the wrath of their god himself to save their homeland with a clutch of metallic dragon eggs?

Great you've Runed it.
Feats that carve runes into constructs that's basically corpsecrafting for constructs.

Plethora of Pixies, Boggle of Bogan
Using the alleged magical properties of flowers and woods providing pixies based on the type of flowers on their heads and Bogans based on the type of wood and scrap they're made from.

Fire like Fine Wine
Alchemy augmentation that isn't made of fail and ELH stupidity. Multiple ways to stack bonuses to keep Tanglefoot Bags and Thunderstones relevant in the later game. Modular to homebrew alchemy as well.

nonsi
2017-03-27, 10:24 PM
Magical body parts sound fascinating to me. I'd love to see innovative rules for those.

"Paragon in a Can" has given me an idea: Special spells that may only be cast by multiclassed spellcasters. For instance, a 2nd level spell that is both divine and arcane, where you have to prepare it as both cleric and wizard, and when cast you lose your 2nd level divine spells as well as your 2nd level arcane spell.
What kind of spells those would be I have no idea. Just a thought.

As for making clerics more interesting, doesn't seem to me like domains are enough. In my proposed system there are 8 different types of priests - "Cleric" being just one of them (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=18777415&postcount=13), and not even the base variant.

Kaskus
2017-03-27, 10:42 PM
Magical body parts sound fascinating to me. I'd love to see innovative rules for those.

"Paragon in a Can" has given me an idea: Special spells that may only be cast by multiclassed spellcasters. For instance, a 2nd level spell that is both divine and arcane, where you have to prepare it as both cleric and wizard, and when cast you lose your 2nd level divine spells as well as your 2nd level arcane spell.
What kind of spells those would be I have no idea. Just a thought.

As for making clerics more interesting, doesn't seem to me like domains are enough. In my proposed system there are 8 different types of priests - "Cleric" being just one of them (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=18777415&postcount=13), and not even the base variant.

I too would liek to see your take on magical body parts / imbued body parts.

Also @ nonsi: LOVE your idea about multi-type spells!

Purifying Flame: Level 1 Divine/Arcane Spell
CASTING
Casting Time 1 standard action
Components V, S, Special (see below)

EFFECT
Range 15 ft.
Area cone-shaped burst
Duration instantaneous
Saving Throw Reflex half; Spell Resistance yes

DESCRIPTION
A cone of divine fire shoots forth from your hand

Any evil creatures or undead in the area of the divine fire takes 1d4 points of fire damage per caster level (maximum 5d4) and must succeed at a Will save or become shaken. Good aligned creatures heal 1d4 points of damage per caster level (maximum 5d4) and may immediately make a new save versus any ongoing effect currently affecting them.

Special: The caster must expend a level 1 spell slot from an arcane class they possess as well as a level 1 spell slot for a divine class they possess.

The Mentalist
2017-03-28, 12:15 AM
Rough Draft of finger wands...
Sleight of Hand and the most advanced alchemy can only make a charlatan so much of the archmage he pretends to be. For the remainder there are bone wands. Through extensive magical enchantment and a special diet ones very fingers can become sources of genuine magic.

They follow all rules for wands except the following:

They cost three times as much and the person who's fingers they are must be present for the entire process.

They are always treated as "in hand" though they require the hand to be otherwise free.

They possess a number of charges each day equal to the bearer's Constitution modifier divided by the spell level. Anything that recovers ability damage also recovers charges of the wands.

Each hand can possess four 0-3rd level spells and a fourth level spell, one for the nailbed, one for each phalange and one for both bones in the thumb.

For an additional charge from the highest level wand you are using you may cast every lower level wand in the same finger.

You never need Use Magic Device for Bone Wands. Their use is entirely instinctive due to the infusion process.

The Mentalist
2017-03-28, 12:50 AM
On the Paragon in a Can thought:

Drill Sergeant
Prerequisites: Base Attack Bonus 6 or higher
Benefit: Select two Fighter bonus feats you know. You may teach this feat to others provided they meet the prerequisites.
Special: A fighter may select this as one of his bonus feats
Special: You may take this feat multiple times, selecting different feats each time.

Edit: Will be posting Spinal Tap potions and Organ generators on my lunch break.

neriractor
2017-03-28, 06:52 PM
I vote for you found WHAT? WHERE?

The Mentalist
2017-03-31, 12:01 AM
Sorry about posting delays. Work and sleep have been weird. Hoping to get both out on my y half day tomorrow

nonsi
2017-03-31, 12:36 AM
On the Paragon in a Can thought:

Drill Sergeant
Prerequisites: Base Attack Bonus 6 or higher
Benefit: Select two Fighter bonus feats you know. You may teach this feat to others provided they meet the prerequisites.
Special: A fighter may select this as one of his bonus feats
Special: You may take this feat multiple times, selecting different feats each time.

Edit: Will be posting Spinal Tap potions and Organ generators on my lunch break.

It is unclear how this feat is used (frequency, duration, utilizstion opportunities...)