PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Additional Outsider Spirits: Kyton

Xuldarinar
2017-04-07, 08:23 PM
The following is an additional option for the outsider channeler (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/occult-adventures/occult-classes/medium/archetypes/paizo-llc-medium-archetypes/outer-channeler-medium-archetype/) archetype.

KYTON
-A kyton is a fiendish denizen of the Shadow Plane, seekers of pain and renders of flesh.
-Alignment: Lawful Evil
-Spirits: Eremite (hierophant), evangelist (champion), interlocutor (trickster), lampadarius (archmage), ostiarius (marshal), termagant (guardian)
-Taboos: Choose one of the following: You must never ignore the opportunity to inflict pain on a living creature; You must suffer at least a certain amount of pain each day (At least a number of points of damage equal to your Hit Dice, or twice that in non-lethal damage); you must take a trophy from every creature you slay in the form of flesh (provided they possess no fewer than half your Hit Dice, those with less or do not possess flesh are not required) provided doing so does not put you in obvious danger.
---Unnerving Gaze (Intermediate, Su): You gain an unnerving gaze, which causes those who fail their Will saving throws (DC 10 + half your medium level + your Charisma modifier) to be fascinated by you.
---Regeneration (Gift, Su): You gain regeneration equal to 1/2 your medium level that it is negated by good weapons, good spells, and silver weapons.

inuyasha
2017-04-08, 01:20 PM
I was just glancing at the Outsider Channeler yesterday and wondered why there was no Kyton spirit (they're probably my favorite of the outsiders), sure enough you came up with one!

I do have to a few questions about the taboos:

what counts as an opportunity to inflict pain on a living creature? If you're in a throne room, and you're within reach of the king with a weapon you possess, are you expected to attack him?

Are you allowed to repeatedly stab yourself to suffer pain, as it will at a certain level be negated by regeneration?

And when are you allowed to be rid of collected flesh? Do you need to consume it, can you dump it the next morning, do you need to make an effigy, etc?

Xuldarinar
2017-04-08, 05:02 PM
I was just glancing at the Outsider Channeler yesterday and wondered why there was no Kyton spirit (they're probably my favorite of the outsiders), sure enough you came up with one!

I do have to a few questions about the taboos:

what counts as an opportunity to inflict pain on a living creature? If you're in a throne room, and you're within reach of the king with a weapon you possess, are you expected to attack him?

Are you allowed to repeatedly stab yourself to suffer pain, as it will at a certain level be negated by regeneration?

And when are you allowed to be rid of collected flesh? Do you need to consume it, can you dump it the next morning, do you need to make an effigy, etc?

Im glad I wasn't the only one thinking that. I think it was largely because they are considered.. Secondary outsiders?

1. While that would be given to DM discretion, I'd say no. More likely it would be: You find someone prone, you are driven to hurt them. you are in combat, you are expected to try to find the most painful way to kill them rather than making it a quick kill.

2. Yes. This is to appeal to the masochistic aspect of Kyton and that can certainly come from self-harm.

3. This appeals to the aspect of kyton where they take from other creatures and add that flesh to their own (or replace portions of themselves even). The idea here is, you collect it. In between you can certainly be rid of it or put it to any use you desire, but you must at least make the effort to take it.

I would be happy to replace or alter the text on any of these though if someone had a suggestion.

On another matter, I had considered making this a full project to cover all absent subtypes of outsiders. That being said.. that isn't exactly easy and I'll explain why for each.

Asura- There are 6 spirits, and only 5 valid asura and 1 familiar asura.
Demodand- There are 6 spirits, and only 5 demodand types with no familiar demodand
Div- These could work. There are enough,has an associated familiar, and they are non-native.
Inevitables- There are 5 spirits, and I think there are only 5 known types of inevitable.
Kami- Native Outsider
Kyton- Well, I just did them, didn't I?
Oni- Native Outsider
Proteans- There are 6 spirits, and only 5 valid protean and 1 familiar protean.
Rakshasa- Native Outsider
Qlippoth- There are 6 spirits. While there are 7 types of known qlippoth, one is a familiar and one there only ever exists 1 at a time, bringing our valid options down to 5. (I was the most saddened here)

inuyasha
2017-04-09, 03:05 PM
I think to a certain degree the various native outsiders would make a lot of sense, considering most of your adventuring takes place on the material plane itself, and each of those represents an exaggeration of a very human trait.

Kami focused mediums would be your shrine-protectig priestesses (similar to one or two archetypes that have been made recently).

Oni mediums would be tribal and savage, probably appealing more to hobgoblins and other evil yet disciplined races than any other outsider type.

Rakshasa on the other hand would be the best at blending into society and masquerading as things other than mediums, taking the place of any member of society using guile and shapechanging, while being greedy enough to reach high places in society without notice.

All of these would work wonderfully for NPCs, but I could certainly see them used by any of my players if they were given the chance.

Xuldarinar
2017-04-09, 03:26 PM
I think to a certain degree the various native outsiders would make a lot of sense, considering most of your adventuring takes place on the material plane itself, and each of those represents an exaggeration of a very human trait.

Kami focused mediums would be your shrine-protectig priestesses (similar to one or two archetypes that have been made recently).

Oni mediums would be tribal and savage, probably appealing more to hobgoblins and other evil yet disciplined races than any other outsider type.

Rakshasa on the other hand would be the best at blending into society and masquerading as things other than mediums, taking the place of any member of society using guile and shapechanging, while being greedy enough to reach high places in society without notice.

All of these would work wonderfully for NPCs, but I could certainly see them used by any of my players if they were given the chance.

Well, Kami focused mediums (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/occult-adventures/occult-classes/medium/archetypes/paizo-llc-medium-archetypes/kami-medium-medium-archetype/)exist.

Perhaps Oni and possibly Rakshasa focused archetypes could be built off of this.

inuyasha
2017-04-09, 03:44 PM
Ah, I must've missed kami when I looked at the archetype, I only mentioned it because you included it in your list.

EDIT: Oh, Kami Medium is its own archetype, that explains it!

Xuldarinar
2017-04-09, 03:49 PM
Ah, I must've missed kami when I looked at the archetype, I only mentioned it because you included it in your list.

EDIT: Oh, Kami Medium is its own archetype, that explains it!

i had forgotten about it myself.