PDA

View Full Version : Jade Phoenix Mage builds?

Skjaldbakka
2007-07-28, 08:18 PM
Has anyone played/messed around with builds for a Jade Phoenix Mage? More specifically, can I get some suggestions?

Specifics:

World's Largest Dungeon, which means that getting any specific magic item is unlikely, unless I come in with it.

32 pt. buy

Starting level 4

Would like to play an elf, but can settle for human if the extra feat is really important.

I want to use the maximum amount of ToB material (feats, spells?, etc)

EDIT- will probably run to 14-15th level.

Quirinus_Obsidian
2007-07-28, 09:18 PM
Has anyone played/messed around with builds for a Jade Phoenix Mage? More specifically, can I get some suggestions?

Specifics:

World's Largest Dungeon, which means that getting any specific magic item is unlikely, unless I come in with it.

32 pt. buy

Starting level 4

Would like to play an elf, but can settle for human if the extra feat is really important.

I want to use the maximum amount of ToB material (feats, spells?, etc)

EDIT- will probably run to 14-15th level.

Well; I've had luck with a Crusader4/Duskblade6/Jade Phoenix Mage 10 in an Epic campaign. Grabbed some Iron Heart and Devoted Spirit strikes, along with the Faithful Avenger legacy Falchion; it was all good. I was human but merely for the bonus feat. Power Attack was needed for the Shock Trooper build. I also took Improved Initiative.

Darrin
2007-07-28, 09:34 PM

The Tome of Battle Build compendium has several JPM builds:

http://boards1.wizards.com/showthread.php?t=683941

Most of these use Warblade rather than SwordSage, since Wizard/Warblade has nice Int synergy. SwordSage has a bit more MAD to contend with (particularly if you're trying to use Shadow Blade for Dex damage), and their Wis bonus to AC works a little better with divine casting. "Some Like it Hot" shows what a fire-based Swordsage JPM can do.

Skjaldbakka
2007-07-28, 09:50 PM
I'm currently looking at a sorceror/crusader into JPM. I don't know how long the game will run, so I want to get into the class ASAP (sorc 4/crus 2). I figure I'll take scorching ray and lightning bolt, and the rest buff spells. My basic battle plan is to cast buffs on party members, use blast-it on enemies that hitting-it-with-a-stick isn't working on, and if baddies get in my face, I whip out the counters and strikes (with the better version of arcane strike JPM gets, I can put the hurt on the baddie that gets too close). I'm still flipping through the manuevers, so I don't know how much "the hurt" I can really apply yet as a Crusader.

Quick Question- Do my JPM manuevers count as Crusader manuevers, or do they count seperately?

Also thinking about going high wisdom/cha, using Intuitive Strike to remove the need for a physical attack stat. Alot of manuevers with saves seem to be wis-based.

Gralamin
2007-07-28, 09:56 PM
World largest Dungeon requires a bit of a strange build, because WIZARD'S GET BONED in it. Saying that, a more basic but good build comes in two flavors.
Arcanist: Human Sorcerer 6/Jade Phoenix Mage 10/Archmage 4 would work, if you take the martial study and martial stance feat.
Balanced: Human Sorcerer 4/Swordsage or Crusader 2/Jade Phoenix mage 10/Anything 4 is more of a gish build.

These are basic builds, and I urge you not to play a wizard in World's Largest Dungeon unless your dm is willing to make arrangements for you. The book saids not to play Wizards.

Cybren
2007-07-29, 12:03 AM
Don't forget Wu Jens for that Transcend Mortality/Explosion combo

ImperiousLeader
2007-07-29, 12:47 AM
As a spellbook-based class, Wu Jen would be as boned in the WLD as wizards.

Generally, Crusader/Sorcerer is your best entrance into JPM. The crusader's recovery mechanic requires no actions on your part, so you can sling spells or keep attacking, your maneuvers will come back to you. Plus the healing strikes will help since gishs don't have the HP of a full meleer. It's also more SAD, as crusaders have a few CHA based class features.

Crusader 2 / Sorcerer 4 / JPM 10 is a solid entrance that focuses on spellcasting, while maintains a good BAB. Since you're probably not going past that, you don't have to make the choice between more spellcasting or 9th level maneuvers after JPM.

Skjaldbakka
2007-07-29, 12:58 AM
I am also looking at Battle Sorceror. I loose a first level spell known coming in, but I was going to use it for mage armor anyway, and now I can use magic armor instead. This also helps with the HP problem, as Battle Sorceror get d8 HD.

this does leave me with the sticky situation of knowing 1 1st level spell. I'm looking at Fist of Stone from CA, after reading LogicNinja's guide. That will bring me up to a 20 str for 3 fights/day. Probably the ones where I don't draw a good manuever in the first round.

32 pt buy, I'm looking at 14 str/con/wis 16cha 10int/dex

Don't forget Wu Jens for that Transcend Mortality/Explosion combo

I have no idea what it does mechanically, but that sounds a lot like the JPM pinnacle ability.

As for feats, I'm looking at taking Martial Study at 1st level for Sapphire Nightmare Strike, and also for Steel Wind if I decide to go human for it. At 6th level, I'm thinking Martial Study again for Action without Thought (concentration check replacing my only bad save, heck yeah!)

No idea what I'll take at third level- maybe skill focus: concentration, since I'm using two concentration-based manuevers.