PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other Combat Knowledge [Feat]

gooddragon1
2017-04-13, 05:16 PM
Combat Knowledge [General]

Prerequisites
Intelligence 13 or Wisdom 13, At least 1 rank in a knowledge (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/skills/knowledge.htm) skill that covers a category of enemies.

Benefit
You may make knowledge checks about enemies you encounter to know how to fight them more effectively. If you succeed on a knowledge check of DC 10 + CR of a specific enemy, you may ask 1 question about it. Additionally, you and your allies gain a +1 bonus on attack rolls and saving throws with regards to that enemy. If you beat the DC by 5 or more, you may ask 2 questsions and you (not your allies) gain an additional +1 bonus to attack rolls and saving throws with regards to that enemy. If you beat the DC by 10 or more, you may ask 3 questions, and you gain an additional +2 bonus with regards to that enemy (this replaces the additional bonus for beating the DC by 5).

Special
If there are multiple nearly identical enemies in a combat, you are allowed only one check against them as a group and the bonuses are gained against all of them. The bonuses from this ability do not stack except as described above and as follows: If another one of your allies has the combat knowledge feat and succeds on the knowledge check of DC 10 + CR, your bonuses from this ability increase by 1. See the Knowledge skill decription to determine which knowledge check is appropriate for the enemy you are fighting. Potential questions are: What are it's special defenses? Special attacks? Number of Hit Dice? Regular Attacks? Combat Tactics (how it generally fights)? More specific questions may or may not be allowed by the DM, and answers may not involve numbers or exact descriptions. Some enemies may require knowledge checks higher or lower than the base DC for this feat due to circumstances such as being particularly obscure or frequently encountered. The DM may choose to give some partial knowledge for knowledge checks that do not meet the minimum DC as described in the benefit section of this feat. The bonuses from this ability apply for 24 hours. Bonuses to saving throws are applied only with regards to the enemy and thus generally not to any magic items it might possess.

===

Because knowledge checks don't give specific knowledge about what you're fighting according to the RAW in the PHB.

ngilop
2017-04-13, 05:47 PM
I like this idea :)

I did this as a skill instead of a feat though Knowledge: tactics or something like that (away from my fighter at the moment)

the only difference was my skill gave a boost to AC as well the bonuses were insight bonuses and the check required a full-round action (feats made it down to a standard and work against multiple opponents)

gooddragon1
2017-04-13, 05:56 PM
I like this idea :)

I did this as a skill instead of a feat though Knowledge: tactics or something like that (away from my fighter at the moment)

the only difference was my skill gave a boost to AC as well the bonuses were insight bonuses and the check required a full-round action (feats made it down to a standard and work against multiple opponents)

I figured that to get a bonus to rolls you usually need a feat. Was considering allowing bardic knowledge to work too. Different approaches I guess.

As for some reasons: Armor class doesn't help much usually at higher levels. Also, everyone fights a little bit differently. However, a petrification gaze is one type of attack even if two different medusa's use it. Also, the scales or fur of a creature have similarities (thus the attack roll bonus).

As this is a feat, the bonuses are untyped. They last 24 hours because you usually won't forget what was said after a few minutes, but you probably won't remember all of it the next day.